PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the con?

elbgoku
06-11-2006, 03:18 PM
EDIT: The con is over, so please reply here if you wish to share your fun & experiences about the con, or any dislikes you had about it (but keep it civil) Thanks!

Darth Takeo
06-11-2006, 03:45 PM
No info here yet. Keep us posted!

Valgaav_Xellos
06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Yay 4 more days! lol xD

I guess this is the countdown thread now isnt it?

elbgoku
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
yay i started the countdown thread....4 more days YAY!!

Malaki
06-13-2006, 11:27 AM
3 Days.

Valgaav_Xellos
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
WHOO! ::runs in circles::

Malaki
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm not excited anymore.

Every year, a week before AMA, I get all excited until a few days before. I get all calm and crap. Tommorow I'm going job hunting, and I'll most likely be all calm, then Thursday I'll be bouncing off the walls.

elbgoku
06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
AHHHHH!!...I need a job...Its summer and Im jobless >_<...I usually get very anxious the week before...and stay that way until im there ^^

AgentOS
06-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I will be seeing yall there friday afternoon. Should be a ton of fun.

xinababo
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm kind of panicking because I have to finish my costume o_o;

Malaki
06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah, two of my costumes aren't finished.
I can't find a Nevada hoodie for Nevada-tan! >.<

Valgaav_Xellos
06-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Well I'm excited xDDD

2 days whoo!!!!

Kaoshima
06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
if anyone is in need of a few good... well... catboys, hit me and my friend up! also, his brother might be joining us in the vest-clad-catboy brotherhood!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
I'M excited because i have been wondering if i will get to this con for WEEKS (most people know that...teehee! i've been telling them i'm going...only to tell them i won't be...and now i will BE THERE SAT.!)

bamboocactus
06-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Im definitely looking for some partys...Maybe even considering on throwing my own..^^

:cheers:

Not in my room, mister!!

Juuust kidding XD We should get some pizza and ninjas up in there.

elbgoku
06-15-2006, 04:44 PM
haha count me in for pizza ^^

elbgoku
06-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Ama Is Tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss ^^

Malaki
06-15-2006, 10:19 PM
10 hours, 40 minutes.

quadrain61
06-15-2006, 11:57 PM
- (yes negative) 5.5 hours

Stopped by the con to get the pass and drove onward.

Going back tomorrow to check into the hotel

D2RCR
06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I stopped by to get my packet earlier.

I also took pictures of the venue, for those who haven't been by there:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v205/D2RCR/ama2006/

elbgoku
06-16-2006, 10:41 AM
blaaagh...cons today but i have to wait till 2:30 to leave >_< see you guys tonight!!

Atrista
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Soooo excited!!! We are a mere 6 minutes (driving) from the con, but don't want to have to pay the parking fee twice so we are waiting until our out of town guests arrive to leave...

...dying of withdrawl as I type...must have AMA...

elbgoku
06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
man im about an hour and a half maybe less....

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-16-2006, 02:12 PM
i'm a whole day! I'll hopefully be there tomorrow (crosses fingers)

ooorenjix3
06-17-2006, 12:58 AM
:] yay I'm going today!

RichmondAnimeCB
06-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Only, Its all ready over, hours to go!!!

Kaoshima
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
man... the con's over... I'm bored now... I'm gonna hibernate...:sleep:

Eurobeat King
06-19-2006, 11:15 AM
I editted the title of this thread since AMA is now over. So now everyone who attended can tell their stories of how the con was, if they liked it or not, and if they'll return next year or not. Enjoy! :)

xinababo
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Hmm...I think that the only bad thing was that the con was in the corner of a convention center...

However, my friends and I really did have a lot of fun and there were no regrets. There was food so closeby and parking was affordable for all of us. We all had a nice time =)

AgentOS
06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I thought it was the best AMA I have been to (I have been to the last 3). It was spacious, plenty to do, ton of musical guests, seating for everyone at every event (that main room was massive), and the rave was fun while it lasted. There were some minor flaws but those are at every con. There was so much to do that I only made it to one panel between going to the main events on Friday and Saturday. Parking was moderately priced and it was easy to find a deck. The only personal problem my group had was taken care of very well with staff. All-in-all good times.

Bagu
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
The location is perfect for this con, and things should improve for future cons once the logistics bugs get worked out.
I've heard from a lot of people the scheduling arrangement turned a lot of people away from attending.
I think AMA is reaching new heights with the move to this convention center..they just need to iron a few things out.

But for what is was, it was still a great con.

Gogglegirl
06-19-2006, 12:18 PM
AMA was really fun. I met some really cool people and we had some good times. This con was really relaxing. It wasn't as crazy as Otakon or Katsucon and I like that (but i like the crazyness of Otakon and Katsu too~!) It was fun just to hang out. It was a nice start to my summer.

Bagu
06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
I editted the title of this thread since AMA is now over. So now everyone who attended can tell their stories of how the con was, if they liked it or not, and if they'll return next year or not. Enjoy! :)

Heh.. the new title and the first page of this thread confused the heck out of me. Maybe delete the first page of posts to give the updated thread more relevance?

Eurobeat King
06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I changed the first post to tell people to reply to share their thoughts about the con. Now it relates to the title.

elbgoku
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I was about to say...someone hacked my name and was starting threads using my name...>_<

Bagu
06-19-2006, 01:08 PM
I was about to say...someone hacked my name and was starting threads using my name...>_<

Heh...EK is allowed to snipe any thread on the forum :toothy:

GreatSG
06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Overall I had a great time at the con, I ran the Jrock/pop panel friday night which was a big success and had a much larger turn out than I expected. So to everyone who attended that, thanks for coming and I hope you all enjoyed the videos.
To me the con center seemed a bit large for the convention, but I think the big space made things a bit more relaxing; I've heard from a few people that they might not be returning to the GRCC next year though.

bamboocactus
06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
It was really nice, I think. Very relaxed and quiet, certainly a nice way to go to a con and have fun before the complete and utter insanity that is Ota. The rave was too short and the music sucked for too long, and the staff got ridiculously nasty on Saturday night. I know they're dealing with a lot, but if you can't handle that kind of stress and remain a civil individual, you don't belong on a con staff. I was also disappointed that the Coke machines ran out on Saturday XD

Bagu
06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I think since the convention center is so spacious we should have a Cosplay Chess event next year, or Naruto vs. FMA dodgeball ;)

bamboocactus
06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Rivalry dodgeball?? BRILLIANT!

Solairis
06-19-2006, 06:44 PM
I had a pretty good time too! I really liked the spacious convention center, it was a plus. The hotel wasn't bad either (though kinda pricey for my cheap budget). My only beef though is that the staff of the hotel and the convention center were less than friendly. I also realize I became spoiled from the water that was always provided by the Koger center in years past. :thumbsup:
I also didn't like the fact that the escalators kept getting shut off (it SUCKED to go up and down in heels when the elevator finally broke too!) but I didn't manage to break my neck thank ye gods.
Overall I liked the new facility though, everyone seemed to have enough room and places to hang out.My panel room was really nice too, and I liked how everyone got a table + reasonably comfy chairs. The a/c was GREAT!!
Enough with my longwinded rant.
I look forward to next year!:bigtu:

Malaki
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I had a good time, except for some of the a-hole cosplayers who where too stuck up to say hi to anyone.

dustbunny
06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
it was a fun con very relaxing. but the rave was not that great. that's really it

Mysticality
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
The con was pretty much fun cept for the stupid ass richmond cerfew. I also didn't like the food prices and how everything was so spaced out. >.< My whole body hurt from the walking LOL Still fun though.

kaligoddess
06-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I enjoyed it more than even Katsucon or Otakon. There was a) air conditioning b) a working escalator c) plenty of space and d) I found the staff and volunteers to be much more polite and accomidating.

Without the crush of people and tension I thought the cosplayers and attendees were nicer and more laid back as well.

Xavier
06-19-2006, 08:04 PM
I enjoyed it more than even Katsucon or Otakon. There was a) air conditioning b) a working escalator c) plenty of space and d) I found the staff and volunteers to be much more polite and accomidating.

Without the crush of people and tension I thought the cosplayers and attendees were nicer and more laid back as well.

The escalators worked? o.o; where at? I didn't see one ;.;

I will say that it was very much laid back, considering it is in the downtown Richmond area and was delt with quite alright in my opinion. Anime Mid-Atlantic is going through what Nekocon is going through-- a much larger convention space which become very spacious. Kinda like how most moms buy children clothes that are two sizes bigger than them so they can grow into their clothes.

I liked the guests too -- hehe Kristine Sa took my glowcups ^^;;;

The only downside for me was when I almost got into a scuffle with some cowboys late Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. But considering my track record at AMA, i'm not surprised (last year, I had a confrontation with people insulting crossplayers and the year before... well let's not go there) -- why I do I get into scuffles like that? @.@;; hehe...! :angel2:

AnimatedPoison
06-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm glad AMA had space, but we still need to grow into it. A plus of being crammed together into a hotel is being forced to be around each other to meet new people. It was easy to be sectioned off in the convention center. But between the extra room and the A/C, cosplaying was immensely more comfortable! It was definitely a more calm, quiet con, and I thought it was nice.

AMA doesn't control the city's imposed curfew, so you'll either have to come with an adult who can stay to be responsible for you so that you can stay, or you'll have to find a con in a city that doesn't have a curfew for minors (good luck :\ ). I don't think a family-friendly con is a bad idea, but there were some young kids there that needed a lot more supervision than they apparently had (um, none it seemed).

The escalators weren't on for the majority of the weekend because people were misbehaving. The escalators have a safety feature that senses when people are running/jumping on them, and shuts itself off, and it must then be manually reset. There was no reason for the convention center to keep resetting them when people were not listening and behaving themselves on the escalators. If someone is to blame there, it is not the convention center or the con staff-- sorry, guys. People still got hurt whether they were on or off.

I thought the scheduling was lacking too (and the program was ridden with errors). The video programming was taken care of well enough, but the actual events seemed pretty spread out, if not sparse altogether. These are all things to e-mail AMA about though. :)

dExtrosien
06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh, is that why they were turned off? I thought maybe they had to pay for the electricity for them and choose to only run one of them during the peak hours on Saturday since that is the only time I saw one running. It was nice to have it since my shoes were a bit big and I had to go up and down slowly. When it got late and we were getting tired I found myself tripping easily. The space was really nice. This is the first year we tried to go to the dance and I was glad to see there was so much room. It's were there were some people I never did get to see and others I kept running into constantly, but I really really liked the layout of the convention center. My main problem is that most of the panels and shows I was interested happened during the opening ceremonies and the Cosplay events so I couldn't attend them, but we still did quite a bit and had a blast.

enigma
06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I thought the scheduling was lacking too (and the program was ridden with errors). The video programming was taken care of well enough, but the actual events seemed pretty spread out, if not sparse altogether. These are all things to e-mail AMA about though. :)

Please feel free to discuss here as well. I'll bring these suggestions and complaints to the appropriate people, so please don't feel like your suggestions here aren't being heard!!! :) In fact, they're being heard and will give other cons a heads up for themselves as well!

dExtrosien
06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
The only downside for me was when I almost got into a scuffle with some cowboys late Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. But considering my track record at AMA, i'm not surprised (last year, I had a confrontation with people insulting crossplayers and the year before... well let's not go there) -- why I do I get into scuffles like that? @.@;; hehe...! :angel2:

I'm sorry you had problems. I saw you and I thought your costume was great. :bigtu:

Afton
06-20-2006, 01:06 AM
It's unfortunate that stupid people made the escalators get shut off. The escalator steps are really steep, and it was a little difficult for me to get up and down them.

I realise there was a curfew (which in my experience Richmond NEVER has enforced), but they wouldn't let me get to the area where my car was parked. The convention center isn't in exactly the safest part of Richmond, either, so I didn't feel comfortable walking around so late at night with only one other person. Also, my friend who has gone to 4 AMA's said that there was never a curfew enforced in the past, and had they thrown me out, he would have had to leave early as well since we were riding together. I really wish they would have announced the curfew in advance, so I could have planned for it.

Afton
06-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Oh... and I definitely think wavers for minors like Katsucon has would be a good idea. I think it would cut down on the rowdy people. They should also block off more of the con from non paying guests. I know one particular group of young teenagers were making trouble, and none of them even had badges.

Solairis
06-20-2006, 08:42 AM
The escalators weren't on for the majority of the weekend because people were misbehaving. The escalators have a safety feature that senses when people are running/jumping on them, and shuts itself off, and it must then be manually reset. There was no reason for the convention center to keep resetting them when people were not listening and behaving themselves on the escalators. If someone is to blame there, it is not the convention center or the con staff-- sorry, guys. People still got hurt whether they were on or off.

So that explains that! I'm not surprised though, I had a suspicion of this because I did run into problems with rowdy pre-/teenagers or other unsupervised kids. I think it is nice that AMA is more of a family con but Some parents seem to think of AMA as a big babysitting event. But, when we're that age we never really think about the consequences for everyone else - everyone likes to have fun and that's all well and good, but dang, it sucked for me and my heels!:bigcry: Not to mention that being unsafe like that is never a good idea, for kids or for those who should know better!

Kaoshima
06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
It was announced a long time ago on AMA's website that there was gonna be a curfew, so if you didn't know beforehand it's your own dang fault. The reason there weren't any curfews before, was because AMA was in a hotel, meaning that many people wouldn't be leaving the hotel the entire weekend. But now, not only is it in downtown Richmond, but because it's in a con center, people would have to walk around in public to get to their hotel rooms. I for one didn't have any issues with the curfew, on friday night, I was with friends who were 18+ and on saturday night, I was with my brother-in-law. that, and luckily no one tried to card me.:p

I for one didn't find the bull riders to be that big an issue, think about it, you've never heard of anime, and all of a sudden you find yourself parked in the middle of a convention were people are running around in spandex and kimonos and god knows what else, you'd be pretty freakin' confused too! so with that in mind, for the most part, they were just curous. Some were actually kinda friendly too. Didn't one of the one's in the rave start a train?

all in all, it was a good con, you just have to ignore the stupid people and concentrate on having a good time. :)

AgentOS
06-20-2006, 09:15 AM
It was announced a long time ago on AMA's website that there was gonna be a curfew, so if you didn't know beforehand it's your own dang fault. The reason there weren't any curfews before, was because AMA was in a hotel, meaning that many people wouldn't be leaving the hotel the entire weekend. But now, not only is it in downtown Richmond, but because it's in a con center, people would have to walk around in public to get to their hotel rooms. I for one didn't have any issues with the curfew, on friday night, I was with friends who were 18+ and on saturday night, I was with my brother-in-law. that, and luckily no one tried to card me.:p

The convention center is a public domain and therefore treated liked walking on a sidewalk. Also being with someone over 18 is fine. I guess people who have parents there should have their parents with them later at night. Many of my pals back in the day got curfew violation sitations for being on the road or chilling outside of Wendy's so this rule is nothing new.

Saxinthehall
06-20-2006, 09:57 AM

There was air conditioning? I guess something must have been wrong with me since I was very hot for most of the con.

kaligoddess
06-20-2006, 10:01 AM
There was air conditioning? I guess something must have been wrong with me since I was very hot for most of the con.

The first thing my group thought when we walked in the door was "oh my god, there's air conditioning". I was actually chilly in the Main Events room in my fuku and my friend was fine in a long sleeve shirt, coveralls and a jacket on top.

AgentOS
06-20-2006, 10:47 AM
The first thing my group thought when we walked in the door was "oh my god, there's air conditioning". I was actually chilly in the Main Events room in my fuku and my friend was fine in a long sleeve shirt, coveralls and a jacket on top.

The main events room felt like a freezer. I was in there in a tank-top saturday night and couldn't sit still at all. I guess I would rather have it chilly than everyone sweating in costumes.

Malaki
06-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I for one didn't find the bull riders to be that big an issue, think about it, you've never heard of anime, and all of a sudden you find yourself parked in the middle of a convention were people are running around in spandex and kimonos and god knows what else, you'd be pretty freakin' confused too! so with that in mind, for the most part, they were just curous. Some were actually kinda friendly too. Didn't one of the one's in the rave start a train?

Until they started insulting male ravers (i.e. my friend Ghandi who was wearing a skirt) and trying to fight him and others.

nicol-chan
06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
wow i really never noticed any of the kids being jerks i mean i'm only 16 and hearing all you people rant about the kids makes me want to beat all of them up for giving me and my other friends who are the same age as me bad reps!!! i mean my shoes were like really tall and only had something attaching them to my foot over the front (in other words i got the flipflop effect except because they were so thick it was more of a 'thud' than a 'flop') which made walking up any kind of stairs really frustrating so in order to walk up the escalator i had to go really slow and stomp the whole way up it was actually kind of fun going 'stomp stomp stomp' all the way up but it was very frustrating XD i didn't really like the openess either at one point me and my friends were in this like completely deserted hallway and my friend is all like "wow its really quiet we should like sing or something.." and then really loudly i was like "OH I'M SINGING IN THE EMPTY HALL!!!" it was funny XD i actually didn't like the calmness i mean so far this is the only con i go to (fingers crossed for AUSA this year ^_^) so i wanted more crazy i mean the group i was with had SASUKE and GAARA in it and we didn't get tackled at all...it was kind've creepy actually like on saturday when there were like a bigillion sakura cosplayers and they all ignored our sasuke completely XD

AnimatedPoison
06-20-2006, 03:16 PM
By "young kids" I meant that there were quite a few that were under 16 :D

We've had issues in the past with other groups being in the vicinity, if anyone recalls the Richmond Soccer Convention that ran at the same time our AMA did 2 years back. We had problems then, mostly from general namecalling and mockery of one another. As far as I know, those bullrider guys paid to get in just like everyone else (they had little green badges or something), but they were at the coliseum and the Marriot.

There's no reason to start trouble with *anyone* really. That would be like bugging the businesspeople that are staying at the hotel at the same time we are. They're probably snickering and making jokes at our expenses too (actually, some guy at the wedding reception on Saturday yelled his room number to me as I walked by in TP Link T.T; ) but that doesn't mean we should walk over and start mouthing off too. Sometimes being mature means knowing when to be quiet :\

DarthVader
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Actually, one of those cowboys told one of the people in my group that he and his cohorts were there to "score some easy anime girl *****" That's all they were there for and I figured that the minute I saw them. They had no business being at the rave PERIOD.

Other than them, this was my first con and I had the best time I ever had. It's pretty obvious who I was up there just by looking at my name. From what I hear this was AMA's first time at the Greater Richmond Convention Center and I'd say it worked out well. I definitely plan to be back next year.

The anime was good and the events too, but for me the real treat is seeing the costumers, meeting them, and getting pictures taken.

Plus I got to see a life sized Pac-Man at AMA. That makes life worth living.:rockon:

elbgoku
06-20-2006, 08:37 PM

We've had issues in the past with other groups being in the vicinity, if anyone recalls the Richmond Soccer Convention that ran at the same time our AMA did 2 years back. We had problems then, mostly from general namecalling and mockery of one another. As far as I know, those bullrider guys paid to get in just like everyone else (they had little green badges or something), but they were at the coliseum and the Marriot.

ooo man..i remember that con really good...It was so weird..my friends and I got there really late friday night because we had a soccer game ourselves...We won the Championship ^^...and then we go to the con and the soccer moms are just horrible towards everyone...Given the chance my friends and I would have taken on any of those soccer players...They would have lost of course ^^ :skidude2:

D2RCR
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Despite the fact that the venue was a little bigger than the con, and the escalators were off for most of it, this was a great con, better than the previous two AMAs I've been to. If AMA7 is at the GRCC, I will definitely be going back.

Also, even though the GRCC is a little big, the extra space gives this con a lot of room to grow.

Mayonaka
06-20-2006, 10:32 PM
I found this AMA to be much better than last year. It was almost better than Soccer mom year. It was a tad disorganized. the vendor's romm was way too small they should have used a romm the size of a main events room. and I missed the hotelness. but overall very fun I hope to see you next year

XxSailorMarsxX
06-20-2006, 10:44 PM
this was my first con, even though i made it very late on sat. i did manage to make it to the cosplay. The cosplay was great, and i will try to be in it next year. This con was alot of fun, but i think the only problem i had was the screaming and yelling that the security guards were doing. Even though people should pay attention, they dont need to act like "drill sargents" <kant spell lol... anyhow this con. was a kewl expierence and i cant wait till next year, and im pretty sure that the word will get out that AMA has more space and will bring more people next year. just wanta know when to pre-registration for AMA 2007 starts ^_^

adios,

Izzy (Super Sailor mars)

btw did anyone like my costume if you saw me???????

Mayonaka
06-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes I saw your costume. I hadn't seen sailor moon in so long that I forgot which scout you were till my freind reminded me but it was very nicely done!

Shiya
06-21-2006, 12:11 AM

Ah! Yeah, kind of! I didn't know it at the time (( I didn't know about the bullriders at all, actually )) but my friends and I started a conga, and then this dude in a cowboy hat jumped in front, and I was like, "Hey, go ahead, the cowboy hat wins you all things!" Of course, I just figured he was a random dude with a cowboy hat! ^^;

He seemed like he was just there to have fun, but with stuff like happened to Xavier going on I guess you can never know. But I guess it takes all types, ne?

bamboocactus
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah now that I think about it... why were those bullriders there? At the rave, I mean. Security was so freaking ridiculous that we couldn't even wear anything that wasn't like duct-taped to our bodies (yay for screaming con staff... ugh.), but somehow these strangers that are in no way affiliated with or registered for the convention get into the rave. Oh that's grande. +10 stupid points for AMA staff! Woo!

Gogglegirl
06-21-2006, 01:08 AM

There's no reason to start trouble with *anyone* really. That would be like bugging the businesspeople that are staying at the hotel at the same time we are. They're probably snickering and making jokes at our expenses too (actually, some guy at the wedding reception on Saturday yelled his room number to me as I walked by in TP Link T.T; ) but that doesn't mean we should walk over and start mouthing off too. Sometimes being mature means knowing when to be quiet :\

There were a lot of young kids weren't there? Maybe its just that I'm getting older so I'm noticing it more.

Me and dustbunny had a guy from the wedding reception yell his room number at us too!!! But he was really drunk (we saw him earlier spanking another guy from the reception....*sweatdrops*)

I didn't like the curfew...and I know AMA can't control that. But next year I dont' have to worry about that cause I'll be 18 by then.

The one thing that REALLY pissed me off was the "no metal" rule at the rave. apperently we weren't supposed to have metal wich ment no naurto headbands. dustbunny had to rip her's off of her Sasuke wig cause it was sewed on there. But what really got to me was that when we followed the rules and sacrificed our headbands, we saw others wearing headbands all over the rave. It really made us mad.

nicol-chan
06-21-2006, 08:39 AM
ah well there are plenty of people my age who are really immature and would do stuff like that so i just assumed that was who you meant. i guess its the way everyone was really pissed off and you can't really get all that pissed off by youing kids cuz they don't always know better but with kids my age who do crap like that they do know better and that makes it all the more frustrating.

AnimatedPoison
06-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Me and dustbunny had a guy from the wedding reception yell his room number at us too!!! But he was really drunk (we saw him earlier spanking another guy from the reception....*sweatdrops*)

HEY! 1210!!! |:B

I actually was going to go up with a friend of mine and see what he wanted, but we got in so late even after the rave, I'm sure he was passed out in a pool of his own vomit by then :D

ooorenjix3
06-21-2006, 11:24 AM
I remember going to my first AMA about 3 years ago. Even though I went for only a day, it was really fun. This year, it was a little different. I think it's because when it's held inside a hotel, we're all crammed together and so it's easier to mingle. Now that it's at a convention center.. everything's so spread out and foreign. I don't regret going because I made a lot of memories, but I liked the closeness of the hotel better :P

Gogglegirl
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM

I actually was going to go up with a friend of mine and see what he wanted, but we got in so late even after the rave, I'm sure he was passed out in a pool of his own vomit by then :D

our guy was in 1215....but when he was telling us we thought he was telling us the time so we were like "its not 12:15...its only like 11" *sweatdrops*

syaieya
06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
i take it that i was the only one who liked last year better
dang

GreatSG
06-22-2006, 12:03 AM

Oh god, I saw that guy, got stuck in a crowded elevator with him and because of his obnoxious behavior I ended up getting off on the wrong floor, mainly to get away from him, that and he reeked of alchohol.

Tohma
06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
This was my first AMA and I definetly had a good time..well most of the time ^^;;

The escalator thing was a little irritating since it was hard for Vincent and I to walk up the stairs so we had to use the elevator a few times (Vincent has huge feet with those boots on and I have to walk sideways with the swords XD). And it is also hard walking up and down stairs as Bankai Ichigo cause I have to keep lifting up my coat and Hakama like a skirt so I don't trip over them >_<

I thought the venue was a little big for the con (which was much smaller then I anticipated). But I think it will be a good place once the con gets a little bigger, which is inevitable judging by the rate that Nekocon and Katsucon have grown. I definetly appreciated the air conditioning ^^

I had a good time. I met lots of nice people and went to a couple interesting panels. I tend to like the smaller cons more then the bigger ones for these reasons.

I'll definetly be back next year..and actually I'm thinking about doing an artist table..but we'll see what the next year brings ^_^

violinisthamel
06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
This was my second con. I went to AMA last year and was very impressed and had a lot of fun. I was a bit disspointed on how big and confusing the place was at times, forgetting my watch at home made me mad, as did the escalator thing, but the people I met at the con were all really nice and I should have gotten peoples email addresses >.< kinda mad that I didn't.

I was happy with the guests that appeared and hope to see them again at the next con, or at least Piano Squall (his show was awesome) I wasn't able to catch up with Greg Ayers this year, he wanted to take my groups picture last year (we went as a Chrono Crusade bunch, Rosette, Chrono and I was Joshua) and I wanted to give him a picture but I couldnt' find him, oh well, maybe next year?

XxSailorMarsxX
06-22-2006, 10:04 PM
about the cowboys, why wasnt anything done about them?? i heard them enter, not knowing which cowboy was talking with who.. but one of the cowboys infront of me turn around and told someone to "stfu, you mother ****** or I will kick your cheap anime @$$, if there was just one of them i would have said something..but there were 6 of them, perhaps next year there can be more security? like police or something???? they really ruined the dance for me :(

AgentOS
06-23-2006, 08:51 AM
The cowboy guys bought passes so there was nothing security could do to keep them out. If they started cussing and being mean then someone should have reported that to staff regardless of how many there were. They were hitting on one of my friends as well, but most people just ignored them.

Darth Takeo
06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Someone should've gotten on the DJ's mic and said, "AMA gives a special welcome to all of the Brokeback Mountain casting extras that have joined us tonight!"

:rofl:

bamboocactus
06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Someone should've gotten on the DJ's mic and said, "AMA gives a special welcome to all of the Brokeback Mountain casting extras that have joined us tonight!"

Hahaha nice. ^^

madamevasquez
06-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I realise there was a curfew (which in my experience Richmond NEVER has enforced), but they wouldn't let me get to the area where my car was parked. The convention center isn't in exactly the safest part of Richmond, either, so I didn't feel comfortable walking around so late at night with only one other person. Also, my friend who has gone to 4 AMA's said that there was never a curfew enforced in the past, and had they thrown me out, he would have had to leave early as well since we were riding together. I really wish they would have announced the curfew in advance, so I could have planned for it.

suprisingly enough there is an enforced curfew, as there was at the koger center. Nobody really was affected by the southside curfew and policeforce because there was no outside activity. If you however wanted to go to sheetz at 4am, they will in fact pull you over. >.<
I've also learned from experience that as nice as some richmond cops are (i swear there are nice ones) they're better at stopping kids from being out past curfew and breaking up parties than they are at protecting the public from thieves and murderers. I'm sorry they wouldn't let you get to your car though, that's just plain annoying.

galaxiahime
06-23-2006, 04:32 PM
This was my first AMA (but not our last!), and my friends and I had a lot of fun. We're still on that post con-high so we're already planning for next year. Yes, the security people acted like a bunch of Nazis at times, but for the most part it was really awesome.

Kaoshima
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM

gawd that would've been hilarious!!! :rockon: but then they might've jumped up on stage and try to beat Greg Ayres up :bigcry: but then security would've jumped in! :rockon:

XxSailorMarsxX
06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
that would have been hillarious, i didnt knowtice the badges or w/e they were wearing, either way they had no place being there, if they would have walked in and not caused trouble like they did i probably would not have a problem with them, because they were hitting on my friend too.
i really wish i would have said something...but...oh well water over the dam now..

AnimatedPoison
06-23-2006, 08:55 PM

I seriously thought they were Brokeback cosplayers at first :angel2: It wasn't until they started wandering around in herds that I realized something else must have been going on!

bamboocactus
06-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Brokeback cosplayers... I would've sworn off cons forever XD

Rave-Ninja
06-28-2006, 05:01 PM
hmmm... AMA as a social event was AMAZING, I met alot of people there and got a lot of the contact info. which doesn't really happen. I started a mini-rave in artist alley and got Greg ayres to Dj. That's like a once in a life time thing right there lol.

but

AMA as a convention was mleh. There wasn't that all that much to do. Everytime i wanted to do something, it was always during something else I wanted to go and do. the vendors room was like OMGWTFBBQ small. And the escalators stopped working like after an hour of use. *kills them if they are not already dead* Most of the stuff just basically involved watching anime (which I wanted to due but stupid Richmond curfue didn't allow for that.)

Speaking of which, did the convention staff know about that or was it a surprise when they got there?

quadrain61
06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
There was a rodeo competition at the coliseum across the street, maybe that's where they came from, oh well.

The convention was not as hyped up to be as I kept going around the convention finding friends who I ask them what's there to do and all of them shrug. Of course AMA is a chill/small con, but it was a bit too chill and the variety of non-online comic things tended to not show up. It felt like the con was just surrounding the topic of BFP, AnimeFX, the guests, and online comics. But meh. Then again AMA is a con where not many of my friends go to so it was kind boring period. Of course like many of you, wtf with the curfew? (oh well I had ID) I guess I used up all my fun at Animazement :p

At least this is the first con this year that drama didn't happen and the con was only decent.

Chibi no Kutsu
07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
This con was the best AMA I have been too so far, I met my great boyfriend Ryan on friday and we are going out now and things are great. You might have seen us he was Rik from the Black Gemma Gemma Gang in Di Gi Charat and I was Seras from Hellsing! LOL

akuma_no_bara
07-17-2006, 03:30 PM
This was my third AMA. I went the first year, the third year and now this past year. I must say, it has greatly improved over the years. I know a few people said that the layout of this was confusing, but compared to the first AMA, where half of the rooms were throughout the hotel, and you only could distinguish them from someone's hotel room by a paper sign, this was much better.

I agree that the space was a bit large for how many people attended this year, but I think that the con is likely to grow into it's space within the next two years.

I did find the con more of a social event than many other cons and the dealers room could have been bigger, but what made up for it for me was the artists' alley. It was one the most spacious I've seen.

I was kinda upset about the rave banning all metal. I understand banning chains and other heavy items that can hit people, but collars, headbands, and smooth studs seem okay to me. I know people can get a bit carried away in raves, but I thought banning everything was a bit too much.

All in all, however, I really enjoyed the con. I will be attending it next year if I can manage to get the time off work again, and look forward to watching it grow.