PDA

View Full Version : Where do you take your photos?

Vikku
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
This is a general question of interest; where do you take your outdoor photos? Do you go into your backyard? Or to the park? Do you feel silly if someone walks by and "catches" you?

I just started cosplaying and for now I've been going to the courtyard of my apartment. Someone walked by once or twice and I had to turn around; for some reason I felt a bit embarrassed. I guess I'm still getting use to it and have to learn not to care what other people think. I am getting a bit more comfortable; I just feel uneasy when people stare.

How about you? :angel:

TR Rose
06-12-2006, 01:35 PM
I go to the biggest local park I've found (one that actually has trees) for photography. Sometimes I feel a little silly, but there is a group of LARPers who meet there every Saturday, so I'm not the only person in a funny costume. I'm willing to bet most people think I'm part of their group.

What's really fun is when little kids run up to you like you're a Disneyland attraction. It's even better if they recognize who you're dressed as. :)

Uchiha Nick
06-12-2006, 03:59 PM
What's really fun is when little kids run up to you like you're a Disneyland attraction. It's even better if they recognize who you're dressed as. :)

LMAO it is very true and VERY cute!! It happens a lot when I wear my spider-man costume in public. I always get little kids that come up to me and ask me to swing and stuff XDD

Just have fun with it!! That is what matters most. :toothy:

Jurai
06-12-2006, 04:17 PM
At the end of this years I'll have visited eight conventions. ( Seven german cons and one in Paris ). Two month ago i spend 13 days in Japan. I took lots of photos from landmarks there.

Jurai :skidude2:

Satalia
06-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I unfortunatly don't seem to get enough pics of my costumes.
But when I do, I usually eather do it in my house agenst a blank wall, or if I'm at my parents, their back yard.
A few times I have ventured out to one local park with tree's and a fountain or two.
Sometimes I think it depends on your type of costume, like what setting would this character be in.

RaDragon76
06-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I take most of my outdoor pics around my house, at my parents house or at local parks depending on the costume. I've also managed to find places outdoors at most of the conventions I've gone to that make good backdrops to some of the costumes I've done. I try to find settings that go with the costume although sometimes that's difficult to do.

TomodachiFriend
06-16-2006, 02:32 AM
People always stare. I've noticed people staring even I take boring pictures of very normally dressed friends. If you feel embarassed by wearing your costume outside, it helps to read on others' experiences. I really like the following thread.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=77337

Some public places are not that crowded either depending on the time you go there.

natsukoarts
06-16-2006, 02:50 AM
most of mine are in the out art studio or in the flat... or some at cons... inside i can control the lighting... have yet to take someoutside, but looking forward to it cause have lots of ideas... but again comes doen to camer, lighting... if i am going to do outside, i look for environment... i want to do some kadaj photos in a construction site... there is one across the street but i dont know if i can "crash the site" and would need some lighting help... cause the construction crews are there during the day!

MadMichiChan
06-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I haven't done it yet, but there's a park just a walk away that has a beautiful creek that I might look into for pictures of some future costumes. I haven't really found a good setting for .hack cosplay photos yet, though. Nothing really looks like the towns or fields, y'know?

ArchangelMika
06-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I agree about using the show's settings as a reference. Try to find places that look like the actual environment of the anime your character is from.

With good photography skills, you don't even need that big of an area to use. (example: crouching next to a large mangly-looking bush might be all you need for a forest setting) This would totally depend on the right bush though ^_^

Two of my costumes had their photoshoots in my sister's backyard. One came out pretty well, since it involved a porch that looked like it would have worked in the show. The other costume's shoot...came out alright except the fact that you can see the fence in the background of some of the pics...:rolleyes: I still kept them because I liked how they turned out otherwise, but the fence does still bother me. Just something to keep in mind..

As far as being afraid of wearing costumes in public, I find it's alot easier if you go with another person/people who are also dressed up!

-mika

Crazy Flower
06-17-2006, 01:37 AM
I usually do inside cons or at parks with lovely ambiance. However, when I'm finished with my next outfit of a necromancer, I may use the cemetary next door to me for shots, driving home during sunset would give it a creepy/yet serene feel.

Ashurachan
06-17-2006, 02:12 AM
When I do photoshoots it's generally for a group, not individual cosplayers, so we tend to stay in just one place because of how much time it takes to make everyone move at the same time.
I've done such photoshoots in both natural and urban environments, and I prefer the more urban ones, because in one small place you generally have more varied backgrounds. Example in mind : in early december, for the release of the fourth Harry Potter movie, we had a HP group photoshoot on a sunday afternoon : http://ashura.org/conventions/photoshoot_hp/index.html
We were at the very center of Paris, in the Saint-Michel area. Outside shots were taken in the medieval garden of the Cluny Museum, and the inside shots in an English bookshop nearby (a place I absolutely love, Shakespeare & Company). Taking pictures that day was a lot of fun, because of all the options people had to interact with the environment - way more options than in say, a standard large park. And nice buildings make for a better, more structured background than just trees, not to mention the fact that they do fit the characters better in this particular case ^^

WaruiKoohii
06-17-2006, 11:43 PM
My backyard has some cool spots for photo's. But I would probably go to a park.

Panda-chan
06-18-2006, 01:29 AM
I've done pictures in my house, at a Japanese garden and at con photos- both candids and the photo booth. The only time I felt like I was getting strange looks was when I went to the Japanese garden and there were some young adults there who had no clue as to what I was doing. Oh well.