PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay.com Group Photoshoot at Otakon

Eurobeat King
03-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey everyone,

Someone asked me about the Cosplay.com photoshoot at Otakon, and even though it's early, we should organize start to form it since Otakon is the biggest East Coast anime con, and it's always the most hectic since it's spread out so wide (the walk from end to end takes almost 4 minutes, i think) and so tall (4 levels) So if I'm going to organize it (Admin & Aeris are going to Otakon for the first time, but I don't think they've been to the BCC before) I want to find a place that: 1. a lot of people will gather, 2. is noticed by everyone who wants to see how big the gathering will be, and 3. won't be too crowded and won't block too much traffic.

I was thinking of the outdoor 2nd-floor terrace where the fountains are, since there's a lot of space out there, but if it's a hot day, if cosplayers who gather have to wait for others to show up, we don't want them to roast in the humidity & sunlight for too long. :thumbsup:

Another place is the bottom floor where the other cascading fountains are (used to be the level where the dealers' room was) and was the meeting site this year for hotel buses n' stuff. That's another idea. Another place would at the far end past registration, on the outdoor terrace close to Camden Yards. Last year we took the COSP ML, Cosmen, and ACP pics out there. But it's a loooong way from the main area of the con, and cosplayers may take a while to get there.

Anywhere else would be indoors, but considering the size of the group we're going to have, it may cause a traffic problem.. but we'll see.. As for day and time, it's going to be on the SATURDAY, August 9th, and probably early in the afternoon, since the Otakon masqy will be big and cosplayers in it will need lots of time to prepare, I'm guessing around 1-2pm would be fine.

Anybody have any comments, questions, suggestions/ideas, please feel free to reply so we can get the photoshoot together and make it just as organized & huge as we did at Katsucon. ;) See you all in 5 months and 5 days! CIAO!! :skidude2:

khamryn
03-03-2003, 03:32 AM
I think I'm pretty flexible, but may have to adjust the KH group meeting to coinside with this. ^_^;;; I was thinking around noon for it, would this be past noon?

Doc Stampede
03-03-2003, 03:54 AM
Hey Al :

I'm going to be pushing to provide more support for that area you shot at last time. It was our first test run of having a "Costume Lobby". The cosplayers on staff are still looking to make it work somehow.

I'll try to keep cosplay.com updated on the going-ons that are cosplay related at Otakon. ;)

Terry (Otakon Staff mode)

Carmila
03-03-2003, 08:28 AM
You all just tell me to show up when and where and I will be there! Just depends on what I want to be wearing, so just let me know when everyone works it out!

psythe
03-03-2003, 08:32 AM
The XenOtakon group is meeting on friday so no conflicts there :D Saturday it is!!

Rosiel
03-03-2003, 08:48 AM
> I was thinking of the outdoor 2nd-floor terrace where the fountains are, since there's a lot of space out there

Please, no... unless you're willing to pick me off the floor after I faint. X__X Baltimore in July is not the place for costumers to stand outside in the heat waiting for everyone to show up.

Plus, the ground is cement so we won't be able to have anyone kneel down to fit more people in the shot. (Cement is bad for most fabrics.)

How about the place where they had the huge Final Fantasy shoot last year? I don't know where it was, but it WAS indoors!

Admin
03-03-2003, 08:50 AM
I definitely cast a vote for indoors. An outdoor photo lends too much to the elements, especially when it comes to lighting/shadows on such a huge group.

khamryn
03-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Rosiel- I remember where the huge FF shoot was (being Will's shadow at that point last year >.>) If I remember right it was near Reg, around where the huge non-pre-regged line was last year. ^_^;;

Mizuho
03-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Is there a map of the Convention Center anywhere? This will be my first year at Otakon, and it sounds like it's pretty easy to get lost...

Hikaruchan
03-03-2003, 12:57 PM
I got some good photo lighting on the bottom floor near the fountains, so that is definitely one place I would second.

Recca-kun
03-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Mizuho: http://www.bccenter.org/floorplans/index.html

Mizuho
03-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks, Recca-kun. :D

Lady
03-03-2003, 01:24 PM
I vote for the area down by where the Dealer's Room was in 2001. 1-2 PM should be fine for me, but if we could narrow the time down a bit more, that'd be preferable. Maybe something like 1:30 to 1:45? That should give some leeway for people getting there from elsewhere, I'd think.

-Lady

Zelly
03-03-2003, 01:40 PM
I'd say the bottom floor near the fountains and stuff...since that's the easiest to find and there's space. And the fountains are pretty XD!

Carmila
03-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh, Fountains! How pretty! Sounds great to me!

Studmaster
03-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Zelly
I'd say the bottom floor near the fountains and stuff...since that's the easiest to find and there's space. And the fountains are pretty XD!

I gotta agree with Xelly. It's the place to get the best pictures IMHO. A much more appealing background then where the FF group gathered on Level 200 last year. You can also get some nice topdown shots here too.

Rosiel
03-03-2003, 03:05 PM
> I gotta agree with Xelly. It's the place to get the best pictures IMHO.

Even with all the lines waiting to enter the Dealer's room? If it's anything like 2001you can't get down there unless you wait in the line to get to the stairs...

But yes it is a lot prettier location!

Studmaster
03-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> I gotta agree with Xelly. It's the place to get the best pictures IMHO.

Even with all the lines waiting to enter the Dealer's room? If it's anything like 2001you can't get down there unless you wait in the line to get to the stairs...

But yes it is a lot prettier location!

If I remember well, the entrance to the dealers room was on the level above the one Zelly was talking about. So we wouldn't have to worry about that small problem.

And by Saturday at that time, the dealers room is in full swing, so there is no line to get in. (It's 98,000 sq feet, it was never too crowded in there last year) Assuming if they keep it where it was.

Recca-kun
03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
The 100 level with the fountains (where dealer's room was in 99-2001) was used for video room one and something else last year... the 200 area near the middle where registration was in 99-2k (near the ship model which seems to be a popular photo spot) was where dealer's line was last year. Just trying to keep that straight.

Hopefully there won't be anything line-inducing on the bottom level this year...

Sami
03-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Yes, indoors please! x_x I don't deal well with Baltimore humidity..

I like the fountains down by the dealer's room, taking into account that there aren't huge lines.. ^^

Doc Stampede
03-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Dealers room lines up elsewhere : and once the dealers room is open, there are pretty much never lines for the dealers room. Its a cavern. ;)

I'll talk to some people about the lobby with the fountains. Maybe something can be worked out formally, tho its tricky since that *does* have a normal function.. In fact I think something may be happening there this year..

I'll keep people in the know. ;)

Doc / Terry (Otakon Staff Mode On!)

Eurobeat King
03-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks, Terry! :) Any info you can provide as staffer would be appreciated. If there will be a section for cosplayers, that would be the best place. Last year the FF gathering took place on the 3rd floor, close to registration, by the staircase leading up to the 4th floor. That area seems wide-enough for a photoshoot, since a lot of people go back n' forth between registration and the main area. The 4th floor (outside of main events where the masquerade is held) is usually clear, since not too many people go up there, and the area is spacious enough to hold a photoshoot. (This is where we had the ACP, CosMen, COSPML, etc.) back in 2001. It's just that sometimes during Ota2002 they closed off the escalators going to the 4th floor, meaning the escalators worked but they would only allow staffers to use the escalators.. everyone else had to use the stairs!! not easy for cosplayers who are wearing a lot.. :thumbsup:

The bottom floor by the fountains sounds good, but I just wonder if they will be using that section for hotel shuttles again or not. Last year they had signs placed in rows in front of the fountains for each group of hotels, and people waited there. Else, on the opposite side of the fountains, meaning to the right of the escalators (before you go up) is an open area we could use so that we don't block the fountains. (Yesh, the fountains make better backgrounds.. just hopefully cosplayers who stand on the ledge won't go SPLASSSHH!! You can never tell..?) :thumbsup:

Ginny
03-04-2003, 02:50 AM
Oi! Keep us informed over at the FF9 Thread.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7794&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

We figure having our group meet right before or after the cosplay.com group would be convenient. Kill 2 birds with one stone and what not. ^___^

Doc Stampede
03-04-2003, 03:03 AM
Lets put it this way : if I have my way, we will again have at least a two page section in the program book for cosplayer resources like last year. I will also, about a month or so before the convention, make sure an announcement is made to *all* the cosplay forums and ml's..

(of course, other people on staff may beat me to it this year. I'm just a publications guy... ;)

Shoot, its not like you haven't a clue how to bug me for info G. ;)

Doc

Ginny
03-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Mwahaha *stalks Terry*

cyankirby
03-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Yay for announcing everything ahead of time!

Pipneko
03-06-2003, 07:19 PM
yay!! I hope to be there too! My friends and I are actually going to do a whole cast thing for The Last Unicorn... (I need to rant about it to someone... meh. take that. ^^) anyhoo... Saterday would have the most people... I'll keep my eyes open for a firmed up date and time. ^^ woot!

StacyMichelle
03-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Ni! See you guys there :D

Doc Stampede
03-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by G-chan
Mwahaha *stalks Terry*

meep!

*runs off to G-Chan's boyfriend* "WAHHHHHH, SHE'S SCARRRRINGGG MEEEE!!!!!"

;)

Doc

Daala
03-07-2003, 07:07 AM
My group will be there ^_^

ainslye
03-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Just a general question, to make sure I haven't missed anything... any decisions yet on time, at least, for the meeting? (the later on in the afternoon, the better, is the feel I'm getting form people, lol)

Radical Urd
03-31-2003, 05:17 PM
How about the lobby? I agree it shouldn't be outdoors (sun....in....eyes), the lobby was were the FF shoot was. The lobby is a place for resting so it won't be too crowded.
But i'm going to be in the masquerade so will i have enough time to register and take some pictures?

The Moe
04-01-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm also thinking not outside for the big group picture. Because what if their is a chance that it may rain? Sorta like it did sometime last year. I think the bottom of the foutians is a good idea though.

This is just totally random, but for those who actually explore outside the BCC, there is a spify little (maybe not little) foutian that connects with the 2nd floor walkway from the BCC. It's outside, but it makes for an AWESOME picture. Last year they didn't have it turned on due to the horrible drout here in MD, but hopefully things will be different. So if anyone has free time and wants neat individual or group pictures, they should go there. ^_^

Nikol
04-01-2003, 08:44 AM
I don't remember much about the convention center from last year but maybe we could use the stairs that led up to the Ball Room (where there cosplay skits and MAT3K were held). The frountains where the dealers room was is nice but it seemed a bit of foot traffic...

Anyway where ever and when ever it is I'll try to make it.

Kellie
04-01-2003, 09:39 AM
^^ Any place is good. I'm rather familiar with the layout of the conventoin center, so any of the places are good. But the fountains are EXTRA good.

And yes, Baltimore Humidity is HORRIBLE. Its dry and sticky and ew. Indoor is definitely a plus.

And yes! Times are good! Especially for the Kingdom Hearts group and FF9 group on Saturday. ^^; I know I'll have to rush back to the hotel to change from Belle into Beatrix and what not.

Michi
04-03-2003, 01:55 AM
....So there's no time decided yet? ^_^;;

Studmaster
04-03-2003, 08:45 AM
The Tenative Time is 2 PM Michi. But we still have to discuss it as a staff. We'll keep you posted ASAP.

TheLoneWolf
04-03-2003, 08:47 AM
I'd like a photoshoot outside,but that's just me! ^^

Michi
04-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Have you ever been to Baltimore in the summer, LoneWolf? ^^;

Kellie
04-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Baltimore in the summer is like sitting in a box of sticky, hot, heat with 2000% humidity. ^_^ Outside pictures are nice. But to safe MANY cosplayers from passing out from heat exhaustion, inside photos = a must

TyJILDown
04-03-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm kind of fearing being outdoors at Otakon after hearind all these horror stories with the weather...oi!

TheLoneWolf
04-04-2003, 12:05 AM
>Have you ever been to Baltimore in the summer, LoneWolf? ^^;

No,but I'm sure if we started a debate about who's been to hotter&more humid places,I'd win :D

Michi
04-04-2003, 05:55 AM
LoneWolf ~ I don't want to debate with you. o_O I was at Otakon in '01, and outside was humid as all hell. It would be crazy to bring that many cosplayers together for a big photo. We'd die from the close bodies, big costumes, and warm air. :P

TyJILDown ~ It's not too bad. The airconditioning was nice in the con center, and when I wore my skimpiest costume outside it was fine. ^_^;

TheLoneWolf
04-04-2003, 10:26 AM
And I just like sunny weather....and...well...outsideness ^^

Michi
04-04-2003, 10:36 AM
There's a biiiiig difference between "sunny" and "humid". Sunny is great. Humid is not.

Blaze
04-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah, my vote is definately for the inside my friend and I are going to be in mascot costumes, so yeah we'll be roasting anways, and by the fountians is fine too, so everyone can thrown me in if I'm dying from the heat. ::thumbsup::

khamryn
04-04-2003, 01:50 PM
::Agrees with Michi:: Sunny good.. humid bad... x.X ::votes for innssiidddeeee:: especially with what I'll probably be wearing.. its a secret.. but I'll say it has several layers and is very.. covering.. x.x (and I bet I'm not the only one with a costume like that)

Carmila
04-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Please indoors! If I wear Carmila outside I am going to die!

cyankirby
04-04-2003, 04:52 PM
I won't survive outside in my costume (black, layers, total covering). I'm just worried about getting from the hotel to the con center! So I vote for inside as well.

Sala
06-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Yeah, indoors is great. But can somebody please make a huge announcement when you actually figure out where and when it's gonna be?

HealerKou
06-25-2003, 08:55 PM
I know this thread is old as hell, but I also vote for inside. The bottom level where the dealer's room used to be should be good for it, right? They only have video rooms there now, so it shouldn't block too much traffic. Also, it anyone is about to miss the shoot, they might just happen to look down and see all the people ^_^ I'm sure everyone will fit because I played the world's biggest game of duck-duck-goose down there in 1999...

Eurobeat King
06-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Cristi: Hopefully if we get a lot of people gathered for the photoshoot and people stand on the ledge on the fountains, nobody will fall into the water.. :thumbsup: If it gets too crowded, we could have people stand up above the fountain by the higher ledges, above everyone below but still within view. The area where the photographers will be taking pics at will be big & spacious, so we should be able to get everyone in the picture. :)

DigitalCactus
06-26-2003, 01:00 AM
Down by where the dealers room was sounds great! cuz right after the big photoshoot a bunch of us are doing the cosplay.com singles picnic thing... ooh I must consort the others..

Hi Daala! XD

Daala
06-26-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm on the indoor vote!
Baltimore in summer is hell!

Kellie
06-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Do we have a set time yet? :o

And I'm SO glad we're having it inside. Its only the end of June and its already deathly hot outside. Yay for Baltimore heat!

TheAnarCHris
06-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I finally decided to click on this thread, when and where is the shoot?

Neko Cathy
06-27-2003, 10:42 AM
The heat doesn't really bother me, I lifeguard at an outdoor pool so I'm pretty much used to the heat in Maryland! But then there's the rain and almost everytime Otakon starts up, it rains! It's been very rainy here in MD so far so that can't be a good sign.

The fountains or the registration hall would be an excellent place.

White Ninja
06-27-2003, 11:26 AM
definitely downstairs by the fountain...sounds like the best place...i hate being outside during the summer and i'm sure most people would agree that being outside in a big costume sucks major ass....plus if it's too hot we can just jump in the fountain to cool off....or would that get us kicked out of the con???

ChichiriFreak
06-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I say Indoors!!!.I'll be in a Mascot costume...so..i dun want to be roastin....>.< and wherever the shoot is gonna be i'll be there!

Rinkun
06-28-2003, 06:59 PM
yea, downstairs by the fountain is really cool, cause even if there is no room to take pictures on that level, you can go up the escalator and take pictures over the railings XD

Radical Urd
06-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Didn't I already ask this?? But anywho! What is the time/place for this. I hear alot of "yeah inside!" but inside where? and what time? is it Saturday?

HealerKou
06-29-2003, 11:08 PM
I believe it's supposed to be Saturday afternoon between 1 and 2 p.m., down on the lower level.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

Radical Urd
06-29-2003, 11:52 PM
thank you!

ravenkira
06-30-2003, 07:22 PM
this may seem kinda weird to ask...but i'm always on the board and i may not post much but i love cosplay.com and i was just at animazment but i was kinda shy to go to the photoshoot....i figured it was for everyone who knew eachother... err yeah so i was wondering if anyone can show up for it??

-Crystal

Sala
06-30-2003, 07:25 PM
I assume that anyone from this site is welcome to show up. I know that I have never been to one before, and since there is so little time left, I hope they officially announce this photo shoots location and time soon!

drake
06-30-2003, 09:55 PM
I vote for inside, but I'll go wherever you want me.

Misa-chan
07-02-2003, 03:08 PM
So many shoots on Saturday!! >_< But I can make it. Which means I'll have to get all of my Dealer Room stuff out of the way on Friday.....

Masami
07-02-2003, 04:51 PM
So I'm guessing the shoot is on Saturday, around 1pm, by the fountains? ^_^;; Sorry.. it's just a little confusing with everyone saying a bunch of things.. n/m... If so, that works out great because I believe that is where the Kingdom Hearts shoot is going to be at noon. ^_^ That'll be easy for us KHers.... just sit in one spot for two hours >D