PDA

View Full Version : Zelda's Apron (Ocarina design)

Michi
03-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Okay. Zelda's got that crazy Hylian pattern on her apron. I sketched it out yesterday staring at Super Smash Bros Melee, and it made my mind boggle.

I was thinking of sewing on patches in the design, but that would be insane, and some of them are thin lines. Or is that not quite so insane? I have two months to do this. ^_^;

How about painting? I'm afraid I'll mess it up. ~_~; Perhaps a light sketch first... Feh.

Any suggestions?

Rosiel
03-03-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm all about sewing on patches and ribbons, and if you showed your sketch of the design I might be able to give you more concrete help. ^__^ The picture is really small.

(Just spent 7 hours hand sewing ribbon for my .hack costume. *laughs*)

Although if you're not that bad of a perfectionist, you could just sketch it on the fabric and paint it. It's a lot harder to get clean lines with fabric paint than with sewing though... better than fabric paint, get those paint markers for all surfaces (they work on fabric), I'm sure it's easier to make clean lines with those as opposed to a paintbrush.

aimee
03-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I think painting it would take the least amount of time, but you'd have to be careful with your strokes. also, make sure you use a fabric that isn't too textured, smooth fabrics like silks are MUCH easier to paint good lines on.

sketch your design out with a dressmakers pencil first (you can get them at sewing stores) that'll washout.
and paint with fabric paint, not the puff paint, but the good stuff you can get at better art stores.

Michi
03-03-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm an insane perfectionist sometimes... with this costume, I will be. ^^; I know it's a really small picture. X_x; Lesse if I can get a better one.. There. That shows the pattern a bit better, if not really big. I have a terrific, huge reference for it, but it's sorta in the game and I can't take screenshots. ^.^; My sketch is horrible! :thumbsup: It's crooked and everything! I was just trying to get a good idea of what all was on there. :P But I'll go scan it anyway... I'll make a new post to this thread with the attached scan.

I'd probably be using a fabric like the duller side of a nice satin.. I know the dress is probably going to be casa satin..

I have two months, so cutting out fabric in all the shapes of her design isn't too bad of an idea, but I'm known to procrastinate. ._.

Michi
03-03-2003, 01:13 PM
My really lame, crooked apron sketch is attached. Yahoo!!

aimee
03-03-2003, 01:21 PM
I'd go for painting cuase there are so many small peices, but it's up to you! if you paint well you can get perfect lines. those paint pens like rosiel mentioned might help you as well for some areas, but I think the majority of it will just be making a well placed STEADY hand stroke with your brush. their are fabric painting brushes as well, but you may find since you're using a satin type thing.

eeeeh, that's what i would do. but I find painting to be a lot easier as I do art all day anyway, than sewing lots of tiny fabric.

whatever you do, I'm sure it will be pretty!

Michi
03-03-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm starting to think of sewing on the bigger parts (like the bird and the Triforce symbol at the top) and painting the smaller parts like the swirly thing towards the bottom.... Yeah. The eye thing is WHITE and thin so I think it would be painted.. Blarr... I want this costume to look really nice so I'm fretting over it when it doesn't have to be done til April 20.. ^^;

Thankyou Aimee! I hope it'll be pretty. ^_^; I've always adored the design. u.u

Iori E
03-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Try a brand of fabric marker called DecoFabric. I used a white DecoFabric marker to draw on a black shirt, and it came out okay. It probably doesn't look as good as fabric paint, but it's easier, and I think there's less chance of mistakes.

You could try cutting out a stencil and then drawing the pattern directly onto the fabric with chalk before coloring.

BTW, how about making Zelda's costume from A Link To The Past? Very simple, yet I don't think I've ever seen a cosplay of it before.

Michi
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't like Zelda's Link to the Past outfit. ^^; It just doesn't appeal to me, really. It's very.. um.. Beauty & the Beast Belle-ish. o.o

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/detail.asp?costumeid=3549

And it's been cosplayed. XD My friend is considering it, too.

But anyway, eeee DecoFabric. I'll look into that, thanks! ^^

SailorAndromeda
03-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Ok, well when I made mine, I painted it on. I actually just used acrylics, which worked fine for me. The fabric I used was satin, since it was smooth and was what I wanted to use.
But you may want to try some brand of good fabric paint. I didn't think to look into non-puffypaint fabric paints, and already had acrylics, so that's what I used. I had to do two coats I believe, but that's just because I wanted to be sure that it was bright enough to be seen.

Sarcasm-hime
03-04-2003, 01:56 PM
It's possible to get very thin lines with fabric paint...you just need to water it down a bit and use a thin brush. I just finished painting lots of very detailed designs on the shoulder wrap for my hubby's Prince costume (from Gokudo-kun) and it turned out great. I used Jacquard brand fabric paint.

Lynzie
03-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I painted all of mine on. But I didn't bother to make it exact. ^^ When I made it, Super Smash Bros. Melee hadn't come out in America, so I only had that one picture, and what I could get from Ocarina of Time itself. I kind of mixed what I got from the drawing, the Oracle of Seasons/Ages Zelda, and what I felt like putting on there and it turned out fine. There were some thin lines, and we did fine. I didn't even use satin (it was a cheap cotton blend) and we didn't do anything special with the paint. ^_^ Don't worry about it, Michi!

Michi
03-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Thing is, like.. I'm not the most amazing artist in the world, so I'm worried about drawing it on unless I get someone to help. ^^; Blarrrr. I'll figure something out. I've got two months. Woooo~

Thanks for all the suggestions, though. I'm keeping them in mind. ^_^

PikminLink
03-05-2003, 02:55 AM
I was thinking that acrylic paint might be best.....um but use Gesso first (acrylic primer) ......and that way the designs will be white...and then it will be easier tp paint color onto that darker satin material..........hope that helps ^_~

Malon
03-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Hmm.. Isn't there some kind of thingy (lol, real exact) I mean um.. okay. I remember a while ago while taking home ec, that for sewing, we used these sheets of white stuff that looked like used fabric softener (you know, the downey sheets for the laundry drier?). And when you ironed them between two fabrics, it melted and made glue.

Does that stuff still exist, or is it just really crappy that I never hear of it again?

*blink* Kajouka? (sailor A)

SailorAndromeda
03-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Malon said: *blink* Kajouka? (sailor A)

Um...huh? I'm confused now...
But other than that, do you mean Heat'n'Bond possibly? That's the only thing coming to mind, but I don't know how well that would work for her.

Michi
03-06-2003, 06:18 PM
>_>

How well does Heat'n'Bond work? I've never used it myself, but it sounds like it would help for designs on the aprod like the bird that I'd be afraid of making exactly symmetrical and so on...

Adella
03-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Michi
I don't like Zelda's Link to the Past outfit. ^^; It just doesn't appeal to me, really. It's very.. um.. Beauty & the Beast Belle-ish. o.o

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/detail.asp?costumeid=3549

And it's been cosplayed. XD My friend is considering it, too.

But anyway, eeee DecoFabric. I'll look into that, thanks! ^^

That's actually not the original princess dress by the way. This attachment shows what Zelda's real LttP dress is.

I dunno why they didn't include Zelda's real princess dress in it. Here I've got some scans I'll post.

Adella
03-06-2003, 08:58 PM
This is the blue dress that everyone knows. It's not the dress Zelda wears in the game though. In the american version of the manual they posted this picture of Zelda as her character design instead of the artwork in the attachment above. That's why this is so known as the LTTP design for Zelda by the americans. It's all we really had to go off of. But the actual game Zelda wears a pink and white dress with a cape. That is clearly the design of the dress shown in my attachment in the post above.

Michi
03-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah, that looks more like the sprite, the purple one... I was wondering about that, why the sprite looks like she's wearing a completely different dress. ^_^;

Adella
03-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Yep. The americans completely disregarded the princess artwork and used the ugly belle-like blue dress as her artwork. I was like O_O;;;;?

Malon
03-06-2003, 10:20 PM
That must've been it. Nevermind about the kajouka thing. Another person I know has a handle of Sailor Andromeda and I thought you were her. Her other name is Kajouka. Sorry. Hm... that heat'n'bond thing gives me an idea for my costume...

Miroku
03-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Hey, I liked Zeldas blue dress.

But I like her outfit from Ocarina better than both of the Lttp dresses.

Adella
03-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Ocarina of Time is just an updated version of her LttP dress.

Michi
03-07-2003, 01:09 AM
Or backdated. XD Since Ocarina of Time is supposed to be first in the timeline.

.....Okay sorry I'm a dork. ^^;

Aeriiiiiissss. *points at AX forum, Zelda Photoshoot thread* Are you gonna join? :P

Miroku
03-07-2003, 01:11 AM
True, but I just think it looks better. I also like young Zeldas hat thingy.

Adella
03-07-2003, 01:16 AM
Yeah it totally looks better. I like her Gameboy Advanced costume too. Although it's like.. more updated than LttP and less updated than OoT LOL. the MOSt advanced Zelda dress is SSBM because the patterns are more intricate than OoT.

Miroku
03-07-2003, 01:24 AM
I guess I havent seen her GBA costume. Is that for the new version of Link to the Past?

Adella
03-07-2003, 01:42 AM
it's sort of like the LttP dress.

Miroku
03-07-2003, 01:55 AM
OK, that is just too cute! Someone has to make that version of the Zelda costume.

Michi
03-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Err, isn't that the Zelda dress from Oracle of Ages/Seasons for GameBoy Color, not the GBA? ^^; 'Cause she IS in Four Swords for GBA, but I haven't seen art of her aside from the sprite at the beginning.

Adella
03-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Heehee someone already did ^_^ my friend Blue Paradox showed me a picture of someone who did it. It's on Risingsun.net somewhere. I'll have to look for a pic. She either did that version of the costume or the LttP version. But I think it was that version to be honest. cuz her shoulder gaurds were shaped like those.

Originally posted by Michi
Err, isn't that the Zelda dress from Oracle of Ages/Seasons for GameBoy Color, not the GBA? ^^; 'Cause she IS in Four Swords for GBA, but I haven't seen art of her aside from the sprite at the beginning.

I dunno. I always though Ages/Seasons were for gameboy advance. Maybe I'm just uneducated because I play them on my gameboy advance ^_^;; but yeah those are the ones.

Lynzie
03-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Hm. I should go check to see what system they're got. o_O But yeah, we have a GBA and that's what we play everything on. XD

Michi
03-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Oracle and Seasons? They were GBColor games a while back.. the only GBA Zelda game is the Link to the Past/Four Swords game.

I wanna see art of Zelda from Four Swords. ;_;

Adella
03-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Yeah I never got a GB color so I play mine on GBA. I hate the worm light it's so annoying >:(

Michi
03-07-2003, 10:24 PM
It's all about the GBA SP. :D