PDA

View Full Version : Complaints About Volunteers

elbgoku
06-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Well I have one major complaint about a volunteer in particular. Over all everyone was really nice and polite except for this man. He was on some kind of crazy power trip or something. He was very rude to a friend and I Friday night. And Saturday night his attempts at forcing everyone to follow (his) rules got out of hand.

All in all this was the only security volunteer my friends and I had a problem with. AMA has always been such a friendly and polite con and he seemed to ruin that whenever he opened his mouth.
I enjoyed myself I just dont want to have to put up with someone like that another year.

dizzylizzy
06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Did you go to Con Ops about it? Usually the matter can be handled then instead of after the con. ^^;; You can also email them to let them know. If you remember a name, where the person was and at what time. Perhaps a description of the person and events that took place too. Posting on a cosplay forum won't help much, to be honest.

I personally never ran into any trouble. Everyone was absolutely wonderful.

Keilania
06-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I know that guy in person, he's like that when he's manager on duty too in ebgames. Don't worry about it.

Malaki
06-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I know that guy in person, he's like that when he's manager on duty too in ebgames. Don't worry about it.

I don't know who he is, but volunteers shouldn't be that way. Even if they are "that way" all the time.

Reiko
06-18-2006, 10:50 PM
I think this needs to be taken to the AMA mailing list or something like that.

DDR Faery Spice
06-18-2006, 10:55 PM
I can understand if you want to see if anyone else had a problem with staff or volunteers, but as a staff member myself, I'd really like you to make sure you don't neglect to let con ops know about that sort of thing; either during the con, when we can do something about it immediately, or afterwards, so we don't have the same problem occurring again. Sorry you had a hard time with that one guy, but sometimes it happens. Glad you enjoyed the con anyway.

CatscratchEmo
06-18-2006, 11:01 PM
There was one guy that yelled at me and a friend because we were running from a girl that was trying to steal me hat. Again. D<

Costuming_Fiend
06-18-2006, 11:11 PM
The only thing I had a problem with was the way they all were like Nazis when everyone was in line for the rave. Honestly...yeesh.

Keilania
06-18-2006, 11:11 PM
He was black right?

Yeah. More than likely that's him. He kicked me from the rave saying I had to take my cat ears off. And apparently according to him that he warned me SEVERAL times. Haha, riiight.

But I got back in. He also kicked a friend who was in line the entire time to the back because apparently she "skipped" We tried telling him she was there the whole time but he said "Sorry I don't need the hassel right now I don't care."

=/

Afton
06-18-2006, 11:49 PM
I had some issues with rude security staff. It seems like they were being unnecessarily harsh. It was my first AMA, but I've never been to another con where security was so hostile to people who weren't causing trouble.

Reiko
06-19-2006, 12:12 AM
okay if you have complaints about anything that happened.....

1) contact con ops.
2) contact the con chair.
3) sign up for the AMA mailing list to get your complaints to them

This thread will cause trouble and if you really have a serious issue... do something about it other then post on a site that does NOT have anything Directly to with this convetion. IT will do no good to post about what people did and will not be directly addressed here..

Piont

Problem - Go to the Source

Costuming_Fiend
06-19-2006, 07:49 AM
*shrugs* i don't have a serious complaint. Staff is allowed to be strict, as far as I'm concerned. Just contributing to the conversation.

AgentOS
06-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I remember the guy that was wearing black and acting as security who said if you left the line for any reason he would put you in the rear. However I want to thank Medical for watching my buddy for a bit that had a little too much to drink. Thanks for letting me come get him and not being mean at all! Yes that was my name that kept getting called at the rave.

Bagu
06-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Agreed. There was enough chaos already with congoers acting immaturely and treating the convention like their own personal Spring Break. I can understand the rave...you can let loose in there and have a lot of fun, but try to express a little courtesy when walking around the rest of the con. The con staff have enough to worry about without having to compound that.
If you got in trouble for doing something wrong (which you knew was wrong), I have no pity for you.

Kaoshima
06-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I agree, you can't just run around doing what the heck you want, you have to take other people's feelings and safety into consideration. Although, the rules for the rave were pretty strict, I can vaguely understand the ban on glowstringing, (but people did it anyway) but no cat ears? WTF? what makes cat ears so dangerous? Ah well... I gotta thank the staff that was nice! Like the big ninja dude that politely told me to take my ears off without kicking me out. and the cosplay coordinator who's time I wasted. (I'm so sorry! gomen nasai!) May the tech crew be forever enshrined in the pantheon of anime.:japan:

nicol-chan
06-19-2006, 09:43 AM
yea i remember that guy who said that you would be put at the end if you left your spot in line, i had gone off to look for some friends and when i saw the line moving i ran to catch up with my friends and he shouted that right after i got back in line XD (it was that line for the cosplay) i didn't really have any issues with the staff but there was something that confused me: me and my friends had to leave while they were announcing the cosplay winners and as we left we saw that people were all lined up for the rave and the security was all at the front getting ready to let people in as soon as everyone left the cosplay and as we're walking away one of the security peoples came up to my friend who was cosplaying as sasuke and pointed to her headband and was like "i need you to take that off" and we were just kinda like "huh?" and was all "well apparently someone injured themselves with one of those and so you won't be allowed to wear them for the duration of the con." so she went ahead and took it off since we were leaving anyway, but then i never heard anything more about that on sunday and there were still plenty of people wearing the forehead protectors. i didn't really mind this all that much but i'm just curios if something like this happened to anyone else. sorry for the uber long post XD

AgentOS
06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
There seemed to be some random communication issues throughout the con. Great example of this is having the rave start an hour and a half late and ending early at 1:30 a.m. Friday there seemed to be no problems since not many people were there. All the fuss started Saturday. Remember that this place was MUCH bigger than last year thus meaning more space for security to roam. Everything con ops does is for the best interest of the con-goers. They wouldn't just be jerks to be funny. My friends story is a great example in a situation that could have been serious and they followed procedure quite well in contacting me. I got a little annoyed though because there were a ton of people just running around without badges acting like it was a vacation spot for Saturday. If you aren't going to buy a pass then you should not cause problems and ruin it for the rest of us.

Tikki
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
I agree, you can't just run around doing what the heck you want, you have to take other people's feelings and safety into consideration. Although, the rules for the rave were pretty strict, I can vaguely understand the ban on glowstringing, (but people did it anyway) but no cat ears? WTF? what makes cat ears so dangerous?

Geez... I didn't know about there being rules this year until Cody complained about having to take his little wings off from his KH costume. I think that is a bit overzealous and I'll try to remember to ask about it at the next staff meeting. However, I'm happy about a ban for glowsticks on strings as I've been whacked before, but cat ears? :p

Ah well... I gotta thank the staff that was nice! Like the big ninja dude that politely told me to take my ears off without kicking me out. and the cosplay coordinator who's time I wasted. (I'm so sorry! gomen nasai!) May the tech crew be forever enshrined in the pantheon of anime.:japan:

Huh? What? Which cosplayer were you?
And yes, the Tech Crew was awesome this year. They give all the masquerade competitors huge kudos for excellent behavior this year and hope that there will be more requests for lighting/sound to challenge their skillz for next year. I'll be working with them and Tiffany (my awesome AMAZING staff manager this year!) on a way to run rehearsal better so anyone with tech requests gets ample practice.

But to be back on topic, check the website for contact info on the Volunteer department and go directly through that channel. You can complain all you want here, but that won't be productive.

Personally, I thought security was handling things the best they could considering we were all in a new location and still figuring a LOT of stuff out as we went through the weekend. Now that I have a much better knowledge of our size, I can plan better for next year. I'm sure other departments are planning to do the same. My only gripe would be the convention center staff and the hotel security. They were downright rude during late night events. But believe me, the con chair is more than aware of those issues...
Tikki

madamevasquez
06-19-2006, 03:32 PM
i tried to wear my cat ears into the dance on saturday night and they told me that they were a PROP and PROPS weren't allowed.

I'm sorry, but cat ears are accessories, don't slip off the head, and are most CERTAINLY NOT PROPS. Props are things you have to carry. Ears are things that attatch to you, keep your hair back, or add to your costume.

nachtinis
06-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Well we were given three different stories by the same security guy about out props.

-My comment here is that if you are unsure about something, go find your supervisor or boss, dont make stuff up, cuz we will call you out, and thats what we did.

Also I did notice the "drill" sgt at the con during the rave line, he was also trying to enforce the con rules at the marriot.

-Having worked armed physical security for 3 years under a An Air Force contract I can say that the best way to deal with regular acting ppl (ppl who were in line) is to talk to them like ppl and not like children or inmates. This was the case I was about 100ft away from this joker and I could clearly hear his yelling and berations.

Lastly there were some security folks who thought that the bes way to communicate was to whistle loudly at someone who was behind me.

-Again communicating in english with some respect to wo you are addressing would have solved this problem.

There was a security staf who felt it nessesary to point out the anatomy of spiderman. But we called HER out on on her misplaced comments.

Then lastly there was the dumba$$ DJ who made the annoucement about the sick fellow, whom I was standing near (he just collapsed), that thought it nessesary to play with the voice controls whilst making a serious announcement to try to find this ill man's freinds. I could barely understand the DJ and everyone else around me agreed that that was not the right way to make that type of announcement.

But hey, what do I know, im just a regular kinda guy...

Keilania
06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I had -no- clue as to what he was saying. My friends and I understood the first part but afterwards I was compeltely lost. =/ I was just mad at the apparently 'stressedout' power freak staff members.

Alot were great but about 2 of them were just.. ugh.

dExtrosien
06-19-2006, 06:21 PM
As far as I know the no headband rule was only for the rave. I thought that was odd too. Our headbands were made from bandanas and cardboard, how could it hurt anyone? I was a bit confused why the one set of escalators were closed before the rave. If we had been allowed to go down them we would've actually found the end of the line instead of waiting in the wrong place for a while after having to walk half way around the convention center to get back to where we had been. I also agree with a better definition of props needs to be defined. Cat ears and headbands are accessories and not the same as props. This was the first year we tried to go to the rave since we only had to drive a half hour home this year and we figured it would be big enough to hold everyone. I loved that the main events was plenty big for everything this year, but it was annoying that everying started so late(I didn't remember it being such a problem in the past).
Anyway, I must say I had good experiences with the security. When we were carded on Friday they were really cool and very helpful to people. I did notice some of the crazy loud guys at the rave and things would've been fine without so much yelling. Everyone seemed to be pretty cooperative and trying to listen. Rules for the dance probably should've been put in the program or made availalbe as flyers since you couldn't read them while exiting the cosplay and you wouldn't see them until after you got in line. Overall things were good and hopefully the staff learned things from this year and next year will be even greater.
:rockon:

Malaki
06-19-2006, 06:48 PM
The guy with the long black hair (in a ponytail) is a huge a-hole. He insulted my gf and I for no reason and he acted as if he owned the place.

The DJ was Greg Ayres. He's a really cool guy, but the whole playing with the vocal processor thing while making announcements was annoying.

AnimatedPoison
06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Anything can be used as a weapon if you're creative enough (ex: take off cat ears, stab in eye(s) with headband end(s) ). But seriously, anyone with complaints should e-mail AMA about it so that it can be corrected for next year. I have to agree with Bagu though about congoer behavior being a bigger problem than "power-hungry" staff and volunteers, so bear this in mind before you shoot off an angry e-mail to the people at AMA.

nachtinis
06-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah the house rules are the house rules, I just dont like inconsitency, I mean when someone asked me about my Boba Fett blaster I simply told them that its a convention policy. Im pretty easygoing when folks are clear about what they mean.

However when they are just a$$es or stupid. Thats where I draw the line, right in the sand in front of their feet.

Rave-Ninja
06-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Who was telling people totake off cat ears? Just about EVERYONE I was with was and was seeing in the rave had on cat ears. This convention was way to disorganized and that whole law thing about minors?! That was a load of b.s.

Afton
06-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Who was telling people totake off cat ears? Just about EVERYONE I was with was and was seeing in the rave had on cat ears. This convention was way to disorganized and that whole law thing about minors?! That was a load of b.s.

I agree. They didn't card me going in the rave (we went in at about 1 AM and there was no line), but I was concerned since I'm one month shy of 18. I didn't hear anything about there being a rule against minors until I actually got up to the rave. I would have been really mad if I had waited in line and then was told I wasn't allowed in. The rule is probably a good idea, but they should have announced it in advance.

Also... why were they carding people coming out of the rave? For some reason they kept trying to herd all the minors through the skywalk to the hotel, but I live in Richmond so I just drove and my car was at the other side of the convention center. They wouldn't let me through the artist's alley area for some reason! I didn't want to walk all around the outside of the convention center that late at night, so I managed to duck security and stick around in a video room for a while until they stopped carding people.

But does anyone know what was up with that? I'll probably end up contacting somebody, but before I do I'd like to know if there was some reason they were doing that.

Parasaurolophus
06-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I heard briefly at the end of the Masquerade that Richmond has a curfew policy:
http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/departments/jjs/programs/curfew.aspx

The rave was clearly after 11, so the chairs probably wanted to make sure that they weren't responsible for minors wandering the streets.

Maybe thats why Richmond was dead-dead when we walked back to our hotel at midnight.

Afton
06-20-2006, 12:16 AM
It frustrates me because Richmond never enforces the curfew unless you're causing trouble. I'm a sophomore in college, so I'm often out extremely late with friends, yet I've never run into any sort of issue for it.

Maybe having parental permission slips would work in the future...? It seems like it would probably help control the annoying brats running around.

samt03
06-20-2006, 12:32 AM
I have a complaint about the wepons policy, can someone PM me the address where I need to complain to?

My friend was not allowed to carry around her weapon (which was wooden) because it had a metal bracket that connect the two peices of metel. The guy who inspected it also didn't like that she used screwes to make it, AUSA had no issues with this weapon. (yes it was a black guy we talked to, my freind thinks it's the same one other people had issues with).

We also had an issue where we were told we could move chairs for a photo shoot as long as we moved them back, which we promised to do. A couple of minutes later some guy comes by and yells at us saying someone said we had to put the chairs back immedetly. We asked before we moved them too.

D2RCR
06-20-2006, 12:50 AM
I told the game room they could use my PS2 and Beatmania IIDX setup provided that the PS2 was not moved. The next day, I found that my PS2 had been moved to run DDR, and someone had nearly broken a regular PS2 in an attempt to get it to run Beatmania IIDX.

I'm going to be on staff next year (hopefully), so this won't happen again.

AgentOS
06-20-2006, 08:11 AM
The curfew is actually Virginia law. The law states that those under 18 and walking around must be in their dwellings by 11 PM. If you are driving in a car you must be home at midnight. Those over 18 have no curfew. The reason they were pushing curfews is simple.....Liability. The convention was responsible for their attendees. If say a 15 year old goes running around and gets hurt at 1 A.M. who will get blamed? The convention will because it is their duty to have security monitoring the situation and following the law. They just wanted everyone back at the hotel to prevent any serious problems. I thought it was dumb how they were walking around carding people late at night (saw this happen Friday) but they had reason. Also if you looked around 18 they did not even bother you. Myself and my friends were never carded or asked to leave the convention at any time but granted all of us were over 18. If the convention was in the hotel and not next door in the GRCC, then people would not have been carded or asked to leave since they were staying in that hotel.

Bagu
06-20-2006, 08:42 AM
We've had complaints regarding the curfew branch out into 2 threads now. Hopefully next year AMA will put a forum on their website so we can voice our dismay with the most con-staff exposure.
Complaints should be more constructive criticism and less drama. I know everyone likes to bitch from time to time, but always remember to take a breath and relax a bit before you start to type.

Nobody likes bitch threads...

elbgoku
06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I can understand curfew. I mean I live in Virginia so I know the curfew and that you have to follow it. The way the security gaurds went about it was all wrong though...I may not be 18 but I am 17 and the way the security gaurd degraded me and a friend who happened to be clueless of the time in the convention center was totally uncalled for. To be honest the way he talked to me I was ready to go back to the hotel and get the friend I was staying with and jump him. Thats how rude he was to us. But understanding we WERE BREAKING rules we just simply left, but not before he accused us of breaking into the convention center because supposidly all the doors were locked (we walked right into the main entrance). His attitude was totally uncalled for.

nicol-chan
06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
As far as I know the no headband rule was only for the rave. I thought that was odd too. Our headbands were made from bandanas and cardboard, how could it hurt anyone? I was a bit confused why the one set of escalators were closed before the rave. If we had been allowed to go down them we would've actually found the end of the line instead of waiting in the wrong place for a while after having to walk half way around the convention center to get back to where we had been. I also agree with a better definition of props needs to be defined. Cat ears and headbands are accessories and not the same as props. This was the first year we tried to go to the rave since we only had to drive a half hour home this year and we figured it would be big enough to hold everyone. I loved that the main events was plenty big for everything this year, but it was annoying that everying started so late(I didn't remember it being such a problem in the past).
Anyway, I must say I had good experiences with the security. When we were carded on Friday they were really cool and very helpful to people. I did notice some of the crazy loud guys at the rave and things would've been fine without so much yelling. Everyone seemed to be pretty cooperative and trying to listen. Rules for the dance probably should've been put in the program or made availalbe as flyers since you couldn't read them while exiting the cosplay and you wouldn't see them until after you got in line. Overall things were good and hopefully the staff learned things from this year and next year will be even greater.
:rockon:
Ah well if they thought that we were getting in line for the rave maybe that's why he told sasuke to take hers off but if thats the case i'm confused as to why that's the only thing that he said considering that we were all obviously under 18 and i had a big ass WOODEN fan plus me and gaara both had metal headbands (they attach to magnets XD) and sasuke only had plastic (yes we all bought ours instead of making them props to you guys for making your own ^_^)

enigma
06-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Please send any serious concerns to: *drumroll*
animemidatlantic@yahoo.com

As for a weapon being allowed at one con and not another- Cons aren't run by the same people. Different cons, different guidelines and judgement calls. It does sound like it was a little silly to not allow it. I would write an email and link to some pictures and describe the person that made the ruling. Not much can really be done now, but your opinions and information can help shape better policies for next year.