PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Gear Cosplay help: A.B.A's key

Mirusu
06-20-2006, 08:39 PM
I have NO Idea what to do other than plywood and haveing someone saw it?

George duel
06-20-2006, 08:56 PM
http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/1384/tut22ia.jpg

Mirusu
06-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Thats helpful but isn't insulation foam poisonous

PrincessYuni
06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Actually, No its not.

...Unless you were planning on useing some insulation from the walls of a 30+ year old house... that would be a different story

Mirusu
06-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh yay... Is it affordable and where would I get it? Home depot?

PrincessYuni
06-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Home Depot, Menards, Loews. Those are my local hardware stores that are big enough to carry it.

I would suggest buying 2" thick; the insulation foam will be pink and in the form of a giant sheet. Buy one, it should cost around $20 you will have leftovers. They might or might not cut it smaller for you, I've never personally asked.

If you look at the picture that George duel linked its really rather self-explanitory.

Good Luck

Mirusu
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I called home depot and they told me I would inhale fiberglass

R1KKu
06-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Thats helpful but isn't insulation foam poisonous

Its combustible, only if you have it near an open flame. Im not sure if the fumes are hazardous though because the foam is made from polystyrene and if I recall, the fumes from that are. It's messier than poisonous, especially if you are using a jigsaw or other power tools to cut it and when you sand it as well.

Home Depot should be able to cut it down for you, I know the one by me has a large vertical table saw type deal.

Nara Shikamaru
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I called home depot and they told me I would inhale fiberglass

Well typically from my experiences I've found that the people who work at Home Depot are generally stupid. Think about it, they are people who are working retail jobs, not contractors, if they were they'd be building/wiring/plumbing houses not selling stuff for low wages.

They probably though you meant fiberglass insulation, which is more blanket like, though you don't want to cuddle up with a sheet of it.

Extruded polystyrene is rigied and sold in 4'x8' sheets at Home Depot. It is combustable if exposed to an open flame but thats easily avoided. The fumes from it melting are toxic but if you are in a well ventilated area it shouldn't be a problem. The only way fumes would exist anyway is if you use a hot wire cutter or they can slightly be released if you sand/cut very vigorously.

Mirusu
06-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Thats true... Hm... Argh this is so hard.

I'm almost thinking about wireframing styrofoam and spraypainting it and then acrylic painting the face and then using duct tape for the mouth but the problem is how weak ut could be.

Jen-neko
06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Spraypaint and styrofoam do not mix (meaning the spraypaint will melt the styrofoam).

If you're so afraid of the insulation foam, why not try dowel-reinforced cardboard (like featherweight's props (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=500&member=36633)) or styrene sheeting? Cardboard is definitely the cheap route.

Mirusu
06-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah... That styrofoam spraypaint post made me extremely angry... If I hadn;'t gotten it it would be worse but now I have two choices. Hand paint the entire thing with acrillic or do what I chose. I used my styrofoam glue spray to coat all of the parts that are styrofoam and let it dry and then I paper "Macheyed" haha them with two thin coats and now I'll spraypaint over that. I've got everything basically ready but I can't decide how to frame it cause of how thin the part with the cross in it is already. I'd like to use wire but I don't know how to fasten it. I'll figure something out.

Mirusu
06-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Today I drilled holes in my pipe thing and cut out the cross piece. Now I've got everything I need and if I paper machey like crazy tomorrow I can finish it tomorrow or monday

Honey Usagi-chi
05-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah... That styrofoam spraypaint post made me extremely angry... If I hadn;'t gotten it it would be worse but now I have two choices. Hand paint the entire thing with acrillic or do what I chose. I used my styrofoam glue spray to coat all of the parts that are styrofoam and let it dry and then I paper "Macheyed" haha them with two thin coats and now I'll spraypaint over that. I've got everything basically ready but I can't decide how to frame it cause of how thin the part with the cross in it is already. I'd like to use wire but I don't know how to fasten it. I'll figure something out.

Enamel paint is shinier than acryllic paint. Hand painting isn't a bad idea, but you can find enamel spray paint ^_^

standrdsmile
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/1384/tut22ia.jpg

this picture help A LOT!(even though i haven't even started yet) ^^;;
so i take it pink insulation foam is hard to cut? haha sorry if that's considered a stupid question but I'm not much of a prop builder.

Do you think if I took it to home depot and asked them to cut the shapes I needed for me that they would? (but then again they probably would charge too wouldn't they) but I personally don't own any sort of power saw... so is there alternative ways to cut it?

^^

standrdsmile
02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
EDIT: Never mind... my post is there.. haha.

LivingPinCushio
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Home Depot will not cut it into shapes for you. Look here for info about working with foam http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=95725

RMV
02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
you are getting fiberglass insulation confused with pink insulation foam. the kind you want is polystyrene insulation foam. its sometimes blue or green but usually pink. you will want to use a dust mask when sanding it, as you would with sanding anything, but there is no fiberglass in it and its only harmful if you burn it and breath the smoke. once you have it sanded down you can coat it in wood glue then spray paint it. the wood glue seals the foam so that the accelerent in the spray [paint doesnt melt the foam. we do it at school all the time. sorry if someone already posted this.

matt