PDA

View Full Version : Anime Reactor

Shima-Mizu
03-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Anybody thinking of going to this? It's a new convention which will be held in Rosemont, IL (right near chicago) going on from October 24th-26th. I've heard good things about it and am planning to go as I will be going to college not too far from there next year. I was just wondering if anyone else had plans of attending.

SoulCrash
03-05-2003, 02:02 AM
I know I'm going just to see old friends, and how the old ACen staff do this con...

HuongStar
03-05-2003, 10:44 AM
There was an old thread about this con:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5032

I am trying my hardest to attend this convention, even if I have to travel by myself. One of my favorite artist is attending and I doubt he'll make another American appearance any time soon. :D

Mara
03-07-2003, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I'm curious as well. I haven't heard anyone talking about Anime Reactor... is it going to be a small turnout because no one in the Chicago area knows about it? I'll be going for sure

HuongStar
03-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Hopefully, they'll promote heavily before/at ACEN. @_@

Megumi-chan
03-28-2003, 02:25 PM
::Squeels Happily:: I'm going! I'm gonna go to Anime Reactor!!! I'm gonna be Aerith from Final Fantasy VII!! ::Crickets chirp in the background:: umm... okay! So I'll see everyone there then! Everyone look out for me! I'm the one with the girly pink dress and the basket full of flowers! Wheeee!

*Megumi-chan

Yui
03-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Oh, there's mega-plans to promote it at ACen already. Hehe...being first year, though, we're probably only gonna get those of us around the area this time. Unless people are going through mega-withdrawal since Otakon - which they'll probably just hold out 'til Halloween anyway. ^_^*

HuongStar
03-30-2003, 12:46 PM
As long as none of the guest bail out, I'll be there with bells on! :D

Yui
04-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Oh, I just noticed this was -after- Kazecon...oh well, doesn't matter too much for plans. I'll still be at both - though I wonder if being so close will affect other people from getting to both, too.
Very weird that the two new ones at the same place are happening practically at the same time, though. I wonder how that happened.

RikkuX
05-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey -

I'm already pre-registered for Anime Reactor - I'm going as

Fri: Dark - DNAngel
Sat: Rikku (FFX-2 - gunner version(??))
Sun: ...not quite sure yet...

but i wanted to call dibs on Rikku FFX-2 (cuz ya know theres gonna end up being like 17 of them there...) so giving you guys a heads up. Yes, i plan on attending this con

Yui
05-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Hehe, just calling dibs on a character doesn't make people not cosplay her as well. I mean, unless it's for a skit or whatever where you can't have clones. But Reactor's not that big, probably, so there might only be like...14 or so. ^_-

grandis
05-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Perhaps you could explain a little bit more about the unique nature of the cosplay at Anime Reactor? How similar or different will it be to the current gong resounding action at Acen, or has that changed there?

Grandis

Yui
05-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Are you talking about the masquerade procedures? There was no gong this year at ACen...I have to note that was unfortunate in some cases.
I don't know though, how is hall cosplay different from con to con? I guess it mostly depends on the prop protocols and the crowd level.

grandis
05-23-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm glad to hear that the gong was gone at Acen. Got real problems with that gong philosophically.

So it looks like I'll be at Anime Reactor for Saturday and Sunday. Right now Nemo and myself are planning on bringing

Nemo:
Samurai Jack
Ashram

Me:
Pirotase (Lodoss Wars)
Natsuki (Hyper Police)
Haruka Minato (Nadescico)

and either Cate Archer (No One Lives Forever) or Luminara Unduli (Star Wars ep 2) depending on how time, money, and ambition hold out.

Grandis

Alisa
05-23-2003, 11:29 AM
I'm seriously considering going to this one.

Bayman
05-23-2003, 03:00 PM
ok, it appears that my last post didn't complete, but if you see doubles of this message, I apologize in advance.

While it might not nesicarily be my place to say, for those of you who didn't like the gong at acen, you're probably not going to like what they have planned for Anime Reactor's cosplay. From what I've heard, it sounds like the gong on crack, audience participation is not only allowed but encouraged. So, if they like your costume they'll let you know, if they don't like your costume, they'll DEFINATLY let you know. It just seems fair that I should warn you guys about it.

Jake Minol

Yui
05-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Mostly, the gong was implemented for bad/boring/tasteless or overly-lengthy skits. No one was ever gonged for the quality of their costume.

CuteButDeadly
05-25-2003, 07:38 PM
I'm going to this one. Hopefully I'll have a gorgeous new Belldandy costume if I don't change my mind about who I want to be 5 times, which is very unlikely.
The gong thing bothers me I really I don't like it. I think it's really rude and it shouldn't be encouraged, but if that's how there going to run the masquerade we can show them that we don't like it by not participating.

Yui
05-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey, how do you know what Reactor's planning anywho? Are you guys sharing your secret plans? Hehe.

& Don't worry, CBD, I'm getting righteous about defending those cosplayers that need our support and smiting the tasteless ones. Cosplay honour shall be defended, especially at small cons where the ninja force can keep track of everyone better, so fear not.

Yui
05-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Uh, yeah...if anyone was interested in what I proposed at Kazecon for 'thoughtful' photo ops rather than the typical run-by type, I'd think something similiar may work for Reactor as well. Little cons rock like that.

CuteButDeadly
05-26-2003, 10:08 PM
I really don't know what Reactor is planing it's really just word of mouth. I'm glad that somebody will be there to help the cosplayers that need support in smitting the tasteless ones. I wish somebody would have smitted that guy at ACen in 2001 that was like GONG GONG GONG as soon as we came on. Anyway a thoughtful photo op for both cons sounds great, and yes little cons do rock ^.^ GO LITTLE CONS!!!

Yui
05-27-2003, 01:25 AM
Well, the nice thing is that C-3 (if that's indeed what we're calling it) should be fairly well situated and active by October, so I have a feeling Midwestern cosplayers are going to be looking out for each other. Watch for more details in the ACen forum.

Convoy
05-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Bayman
ok, it appears that my last post didn't complete, but if you see doubles of this message, I apologize in advance.

While it might not nesicarily be my place to say, for those of you who didn't like the gong at acen, you're probably not going to like what they have planned for Anime Reactor's cosplay. From what I've heard, it sounds like the gong on crack, audience participation is not only allowed but encouraged. So, if they like your costume they'll let you know, if they don't like your costume, they'll DEFINATLY let you know. It just seems fair that I should warn you guys about it.

Jake Minol

Interesting, isn't it, that the head of Kazecon is "warning" people here about our cosplay proceedings.

Please allow me to clear up any misconceptions.

We were set to make announcements on our website about (new guests, cosplay procedures) after Anime Central, but we experienced a huge server crash that we're in the process of cleaning up.

We will have two cosplays.

The first, Anime Fabulous, will be a traditional cosplay competition. Folks will come on stage, show their costumes. Anime Fabulous will be structured like a traditional fashion show. people can enter in groups, or as individuals. We will offer awards in the standards categories.

The second cosplay, tentatively called Cosplay Idol, will be for skits. Cosplay Idol takes its inspiration from the popular Fox television show "American Idol." Cosplay Idol will not have multiple prizes or different categories. There is only one prize. It will be a very large prize. And yes, the gong will make its return.

As one of the originators of the gong concept, let me state that the gong was never used in to indicate the quality of a cosplayer's costume. It was meant as a means to end acts that ran too long, or acts that lost the attention of the audience.

Contestants will be allowed to enter both competitions. Show off your costume in Anime Fabulous, then go for the big prize in Cosplay Idol.

If you have some thoughts on what we can do to make the event successful, stop by our website and join our forums, which should be back up by next week. Or, if you have something you'd like to address now, drop me a line at my temporary e-mail address, thabiznomb@aol.com. My regular e-mail address, jalsup@animereactor.org, should be working again early next week.

Hey Jake, let's work together, not in spite of each other.

Thank you all for your interest in Anime Reactor, and I look forward to seeing you at the event.

--
James Alsup
Executive Director, Anime Reactor

Yui
06-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Yeah, most of us are going to both, so need to compete. ^_-
(BTW...we have begun organizing the Chicagoland Cosplay Club at http://c3.ensui.net ...so we're going to link to both the Kaze and Reactor sites if that's all right. If you guys can think of any other promotions for you we can help with, let us know.)

B-kun
06-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Just to update, the Reactor forums went up this morning. =)

If you registered on our old forums you'll have to re-register, because we had to rebuild them from scratch after our server crash @_@; Sorry 'bout that...

Anime Reactor Forums! (http://www.animereactor.org/forum/)

=-- Ben Nunez
Creative Director
Anime Reactor
bnunez@animereactor.org

Yui
07-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Hey, just stickied the attending cosplay.com member list in the Chicagoland Cosplay Club forum. Anyone else with plans of going, let us know. ^_-

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13702

grandis
07-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Actually looks like my list for Anime Reactor has changed.

I should have

Natsuki from Hyper Police
Pirotase from Lodoss War
Haruka Minato from Nadescico
Dr. Dippa from Five Star Stories

Nemo will be bringing

Ruka from Utena
Jack from Samurai Jack
Ashram from Lodoss Wars

Again, October is a distance away, so there could be changes.

Grandis

erikadoor
07-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Erika here.

Hmmm....Midwest con in the fall...by people who know what they're doing. Twinkle's going, Grandis is going....
Of course I'll be there.

My costume plans are as follows:
Princess Sarah from 8-bit Theatre
Anji Mito [Falcoon female version] from Guilty Gear X

And something else. We'll see what happens.

Erika Door
http://www.erikadoor.com

Xefeon Aisu
07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
If I'm allowed, I'm DEFINETELY going. It'll be my first con. I WOULD have been Sugoicon 2002, but...I couldn't go. Then it would have been ACen 2003, but...I couldn't go. So I'm REALLY hoping I can go to Anime Reactor. I know for a fact that if I go, I'll go as Misao Makimachi from Rurouni Kenshin, and I may or may not go as BT from .hack//SIGN with a group. I'm not sure about the group yet, because our Subaru might not be able to make it... :( I'm not sure who else I'll go as though...

B-kun
08-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Just to give everybody a heads-up...

If anybody happens to be attending Wizard World Chicago, Anime Reactor will have a table in the Artists Alley and in front of the Anime Rooms, where you can meet some of our staff, pre-register for the convention, and pick up flyers, posters and other promotional goodies. :)

=-- Ben Nunez
Creative Director
Anime Reactor
bnunez@animereactor.org

DarkAngel
08-03-2003, 01:46 PM
I am going with my friend.

DaphHime
08-04-2003, 08:12 PM
A group of my friends plan on going. The same group that went to ACen with me. I don't know weather or not I'll be going as Excel or Tira from Socrcer Hunters. I might be Excel if my Tira costume isn't ready.

I heard alot of people who were at ACen will be at Anime Reactor. It whould be nice to meet a few of those people again. :)

Basic Beecicchi
08-04-2003, 08:41 PM
I can safely say i am finally gonna make it with a costume [had a severe mishap and lost $250 total in the process at Akon.]

But i wonder if selling prints as Tommy Vercetti will work :3

Miss Valentine
08-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Oh I can't wait for Anime Reactor! Sassy Femme Squall will be making an appearance! W00t! :p Also, if all goes as planned, Rikkux and I will be having a coffee party type thing. So hopefully you'll all be there!! :D

Bluesummers
08-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Too much Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Beecicchi? >D

Hm...anyway, thou' is going with the same group I went with to Anime Central '03. However, a majority of them have bailed out on me, and have decided to do something...stupid. Oh well. My weekend consists of...

Friday
- Ice Climbers (red and white version)
- Akira (DDR)

Saturday
- Titan Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)
- Pimp Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

Sunday
- Vicious (just...plain Viccy, no more screwing around...)

Hm...yeah, so that's a big change from Friday to Saturday..the oh-so-happy Ice Climbers to...Vicious. o.o; No, I don't know either, so just shut up.

So yes - expect a Vicious, Julia, Lin, and Gren (syndicate style, yo') all parading around Saturday. Be afraid, I tell you, be afraid.

Luna Selene
08-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Meh. if I didn't reply to this already, I'll be sticking around with Bluesummers. >D

I've got trenchcoat and catsuit Julia outfits, plus a beeyotch sort of Julia outfit to go with the pimp Vicious. Otherwise, I've got DDR, Battle Royale, and Vampire Hunter D costumes to choose from. Or of course, make new costumes. I've had a couple people at Otakon tell me to be Milly from Trigun, so I might look into that.

Still trying to drag a Spike into the Bebop-mess. Too bad that this would be his first con and first cosplay >D

Luna Selene
08-15-2003, 10:56 AM
Sorry to post twice, but I figure this is important enough to make another post for.

A cosplay group list has been started over at the Anime Reactor forums. If you have a series/group you'd like to get together, please reply here, PM me, or reply to the thread over at the Anime Reactor forums. If possible, a selected day/time/place would be helpful, but if you don't know them all or any of them, that's fine. I can still put it up.

Thanks in advance!

RedPikachu
08-15-2003, 11:34 AM
wow gotta love how pimp idea has spread like wildfire...or is that a bad thing. these pimp costumes have really been popping up recently (RECENTLY AFTER SEEING MY COSTUMES BEYOTCH) j/k :bigtu:

oh and by the way pimp ash and i will definitely make an appearence along with cait sith riding on a mog (costumes i am currently working on).

Bluesummers
08-19-2003, 01:40 AM
Cait Sith riding on a mog...oh how we love FFVII, yes?

BEE-YOTCH!? Step up! ...Bah, actually... *snicker* I've had that idea since SugoiCon '02 (along with my friend who went with me...saying I should go as Pimp Vash...which...just doesn't...work. Pimp Knives? Fine. Pimp Midvalley? Sure. Pimp Legato. All right. But...Pimp Vash. It's just not happening...), and Julia-mun just convinced me...to actually do it. I probably won't be able to get it done entirely to my liking by the convention date (busy as a bee...a worker bee, since the queen is a lazy ass. ...That is entirely off the subject), so the full costume won't be completed until ACen '04. ...I can't believe I have to wait that long until the next convention. I hate Illinoise. I hate it. Anyway!...so yes, it won't be top-notch until then, unless someone wants to give me money. *big, puppy dog eyes* ... *fails miserably, since mun merely resembles a dog wanting to gouge someone's eyes out* ...Oh well.

...And I swear this had a point. Now if only I could remember what it was...

BitterBeing
08-20-2003, 04:30 PM
I'll try to make it to this con, but I'm still recovering from my pocketbook getting 0wnzed at Otakon. But no fear (or lots of fear?), good ol' Snake (man, I love calling myself that) will probably show up.

grandis
08-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey! If you've been following the AnimeIowa thread at all, you know that Pirotase and Ashram are out for Anime Reactor, due to nasty makeup stains, and too much pain.

So, Nemo and I have changed our plans slightly. For Anime Reactor, expect from us

Nemo: Samurai Jack, Ruka, and Roger Smith
Grandis: Natsuki, R. Dorothy Waynewright, Haruka Minato (Nadesico), and Dr. Dippa Dropos (5 Star Stories)

As always, subject to change. Will we be in the masquerade? Yup, we'll be doing a short skit. In something VERY comfortable.

See you all in October.

Grandis

ParnsAngel
08-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Hey! If you've been following the AnimeIowa thread at all, you know that Pirotase and Ashram are out for Anime Reactor, due to nasty makeup stains, and too much pain.

Aw, Grandis, Im so sorry those beautiful costumes got ruined!! I might be able to go to AR so I was so excited when I read earlier posts that they were coming...but I understand, and hooRAY for different costumes with comfyness! ^___^

SoulCrash
08-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Since peeps posted what they're going to cosplay as for AR. I think I'll post mines too.

Beginning/late evening Friday > Great Teacher Onizuka (white suit version)

Late night Friday > Parappa the Rapper in breakdance form (for the dance they're going to have there)

First half Saturday > Pimp out GTO (RedPika: no, I'm not copying the pimp thing) that was showed in episode 2 of GTO

Second half Saturday > Reg. GTO

Late night Saturday > attempting in making the math shirt version of GTO that was showed in the kidnapping episode. So, I can use it to breakdance with... As in this pic, http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=34226&password=&sort=1&cat=998&page=2

Sunday > I guess I'll be the Marines dude again..

RedPikachu
08-30-2003, 02:58 PM
samurai jack cosplay...weee i love that show...

Shinobi
09-01-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm so fricking PSYCHED to be going to Anime Reactor. ACen was my first con ever and guys like Snake (sitting in the circle of Pocky power in the arcade room) and RedPikachu (with her Poke-pimp posse) made it one of the most memorable times I had all year. Sorry for sounding corny, but it's the truth. ^_^

Since this is my first time cosplaying I'm gonna do easy stuff.

Friday: Sergeant Slaughter (Original Pokemon Soldier character)

Saturday: Dhalsim (street fighter)

Sunday: Another Original Pokemon character - PYROCHU. He's an evolved form of Pikachu, but he's all firey/flamey and stuff like a Flareon.

At night (except during the masquerade) I'll be dressed up as The AnimRaver. You'll know what it is when you see me.

Ok, I'm done now. XD

grandis
09-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Saturday: Dhalsim (street fighter)

Shinobi:

Since Dhalsim is my favorite Street Fighter character, bar none, I'll be sure to look for you. You have this fangirl's heart beating just a little faster tonight. :)

Grandis

squeaky
09-16-2003, 04:00 PM
I'm going too!

YATTA!

I'm not sure what costume I'll be making yet.

Perhaps Safety, from Risky Safety.

grandis
09-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey guys. Only about a month before Anime Reactor. :)

Looks like our Five Star Stories Project is off. My partner in crime has to go to a retreat for her work.

So, Nemo will have Roger Smith, Samurai Jack, and Ruka from Utena.

I'll have Natsuki from Hyper Police, R. Dorothy Waynewright, and Haruka Minato from Nadesico (that's currently being made).

What shall I do for my fourth costume? If I have time, I've decided to make one of Emil's non-armor outfits from the Joan manga. If I don't have time, I'll recycle Lina from Shamanic Princess, Altena from Noir, or Cyber 6. All of those haven't seen time out this con season.

I am kind of excited to make Emil, so I hope I have time. I may never have her hair again. :dance:

What about y'all? How are those costumes coming? Don't forget that this one is a comic book con as well, and you could certainly make something from that venue.

Grandis

ParnsAngel
09-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Weee, I guess I'm going to AR too!! :D

....no clue what I'm going to wear though. Maybe Kylash and I will bring back our Peacekeepers. ^^

Lookin forward to seein people again, too! How many are competing in the cosplay?
I think Ill sit this one out ^^;

Luna Selene
09-23-2003, 06:16 PM
I plan on competing in Anime Fabulous, but not Cosplay Idol, mainly due to the fact that my friend and I can't think up a decent skit but want to go onstage in our costumes.

Doubt we'll have a decent chance at winning anything, though...we'll just have to see ^^; in any case, it should be fun to walk up there and strike a pose.

AllStarAlice
09-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Whee *bump*

I'll be going to Reactor of course

Friday: Gunner Yuna FFX-2
Saturday: Beatmania IIDX LARGE group =P

I hope this con is everything I hope it'll be!!!! So excited! :jjacks:

trekkieb47
10-01-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm only going to Anime Reactor on Saturday. Alot of C^3 people wants me to come, so I'll be there as Roger Smith. IN ACTION!

Berry

kylash327
10-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Wow I'm alive! ...anyway, Yeha I might be coming, dont have any new anime costumes though...might break out the old WHR ones...or just wear my new Rocketeer costume for shits and giggles..

trekkieb47
10-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Wow I'm alive! ...anyway, Yeha I might be coming, dont have any new anime costumes though...might break out the old WHR ones...or just wear my new Rocketeer costume for shits and giggles..

Rocketeer! Hell yah!

Well another update, I should be there all three days. And I'm going to **TRY** to get my Michael costume done from WHR. But thats a big might since I need to find a decent mullet wig. And borrow a labtop or find a very old one. @_@ There's always Roger Smith... no one gets sick of him right? >_<

Berry

trekkieb47
10-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Nemo: Samurai Jack, Ruka, and Roger Smith
Grandis: Natsuki, R. Dorothy Waynewright, Haruka Minato (Nadesico), and Dr. Dippa Dropos (5 Star Stories)

Alright another Roger Smith! Definitely have to take pics with you guys!

Berry

grandis
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Alright another Roger Smith! Definitely have to take pics with you guys!

Berry

Looking forward to it. :)

Grandis

Miss Valentine
10-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Is it possible for anyone to bring a gunblade for me on Saturday? o.o I made one and it looks horrible. So I'd just be borrowing it for the day and I promise to return it unharmed and with cookies! Someone please? ^^;

grandis
10-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Okay, Haruka is done. We're still on track for the convention. So count on the Nadesico uniform.

Next: Emil from Joan. I've bought all the material, and begun to cut out the pattern pieces. We'll see how far we get tonight--I have to take fancy photos of Haruka. :)

See you guys in about 2 and 1/2 weeks!

Grandis

squeaky
10-08-2003, 12:25 PM
My friends and I will be doing Great Teacher Onikuka, and Samurai Shodown

We might slip in a little C vs S 2, as well.

If we do, we'll have a Kousuke, Kim, and me as Sakura.

See you there!

Shinobi
10-11-2003, 11:35 PM
My Pokemon Solider uniform and accessories are pretty much done. Just waiting for the Military ID Tags and name plates I ordered to arrive. And I won't be able to do Pyrochu or Ani-Raver... But Dhalsim's gonna be there. :D

Ayana
10-12-2003, 07:04 PM
My cosplay lineup for Reactor is as follows:

Friday: SECRET PROJECT!!! XD You'll all find out about it then...Troppy and Sassy know about it, but everyone else is gonna have to wait.
Saturday: Lenne from FFX-2 ^_^ I redid the skirt since the photoshoot, now it's pleated! And maybe tomorrow when I'm working on SECRET PROJECT I'll do the gradient on the sidetrain.
Sunday: Elegant Gothic Lolita-style Moogle. Yup, that's called boredom with a pile of fabric, but it looks really cute and really sexy.

And I'm going to be entering Cosplay Idol along with Troppy and R1KKu_77. Cheer us on!! Yeah!!

erikadoor
10-13-2003, 02:25 AM
Erika here.

I still haven't started a single costume as I've been working my ass off at my new job [a fabric store of all places....*tschaa*....].

Whatever fabric/shoes shows up first will be what I'm cosplaying. I'm almost certainly doing an Embla von Prios from War of Genesis III Part II ['bout bloody time I did it, too....with a HTK costume roster of some baker's dozen, I need to get a few off the list and onto my body....].
Arcia would be nice, but paperclay is expensive when you don't order it online and I can't find a pleatable suede-looking fabric to use for her skirt and jacket. I want to be able to do it more justice than I feel I can at the moment, as props take me quite a while to do [I know the detail work on the guns and the bracelets/arm rings could take me three days...I'm just that finicky]. Admittedly, having a costume to coincidentally go along with one's of Yui's likely-fabulous things is tempting....but we'll see.
Falcoon female Anji [from GGX] or Thief Rikku from X-2 are ideas I'm still mulling over...the former because it's a sexy, kick-ass redhead wearing black, red, and gold; the latter because it'd be worth a big giggle for anyone who knows me.
Princess Sarah's just going to have to wait till I can at least get another 8-bit Theatre character with me....it'd be fun anyway, but I couldn't do the blood-drenched sword yet and no one would have a clue who I was without it.

Opinions are highly welcome as hell if *I* can sway my own argument at the moment.....

Erika Door

kylash327
10-13-2003, 01:05 PM
*grumbles at expensive paperclay he needed for rocketpack...6 packs >_< *

SoulCrash
10-16-2003, 05:29 PM
So ah, Did we decided on what time, and where (in the hotel) we're going to meet for the group shot??

If not, I'll scout out the hotel this weekend, and "decide" on what time we're going to meet? If you guys don't mind that is..

Ayana
10-16-2003, 06:50 PM
I think we decided something over at the Anime Reactor forums, but I can't remember....

erikadoor
10-17-2003, 02:57 AM
Erika here.

Could it not be the same old two-in-the-afternoon? Even noon is better than that. I *liked* being able to get into group pictures for awhile there and would appreciate continuing the trend. Any time that is not prime selling hours is welcome...whether it be early evening [around 6 or so] or morning/noon [eleven is *not* that early....].

Erika Door

SoulCrash
10-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Could it not be the same old two-in-the-afternoon? Even noon is better than that. I *liked* being able to get into group pictures for awhile there and would appreciate continuing the trend.

Well, one-in-the-afternoon (on Saturday) seem to work last time (as in back at Kazecon). So why not one-in-the-afternoon (on Saturday)? Now we just need a place to meet, and I just hope I don't have my (AMV) panel on that time.....

Anyways, I'll post up a BIG reminder in the con's bulletins board.

erikadoor
10-18-2003, 12:03 AM
*sighs* Forget it. I didn't go to Kazecon, but no one should have to work around anyone else's schedule. Peak hours mean just that....they're plural. Saturday at all sucks unless it's really early or late.

Have fun everyone.

Oh, my costume schedule has been revised, and here's the final rundown:

Friday: Anko [Falcoon female rendition of Anji from GGX]
Saturday: Juclesia Sebine re Elcritian from Magna Carta
Sunday: Naoto from Doggs [if anyone knows who I am, I'll be impressed so long as you didn't look it up after tonight....]
If I compete in anything, it'll be purely on whim. I'll be arriving quite late on Thursday.
Hurrah for cons. I need one.

Erika Door

SoulCrash
10-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I just got back from my Recon Mission at the Holiday Inn. And I found a BIG open spot in the hotel we (might/can) use for the group pic. Anyways, here's the pic...

----------------

Why I like about this area is...

#1. It's the most OPEN area I can find in the hotel. Cause most of the area the con is using is all cramped-up. (trust me, I was just there just now!)...

#2. And has cool platform to station the cameras...

So what you guys think?

Shinobi
10-18-2003, 05:07 PM
What are all those granny ladies doing there? :eeek:

SoulCrash
10-18-2003, 09:00 PM
What are all those granny ladies doing there? :eeek:

When I was at the Holiday Inn (as in today). There was another convention going on when I got there...

And about the space I looked up.. That space is really for ARTIST ALLEY! So now, we're still going to meet in that spot. But we're going to go someplace else (the indoor pool or outside) for the group shot...

And if you want to see how the indoor pool looks like.. here's a pic.. You'll see why I also suggested this spot...

HEDGESMFG
10-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Well, as I've been saying on AIM, the pool works well as long as there is enough space between the wall, the pool itself, and a clear enough space to fit everyone who comes...

Though frankly I'd prefer the outdoor location you showed me if weather and time favors, and if there is enough room.

I hope the Hotel won't be to crowded with non-AR activity next weekend.

B-kun
10-18-2003, 10:22 PM
I just got back from my Recon Mission at the Holiday Inn. And I found a BIG open spot in the hotel we (might/can) use for the group pic. Anyways, here's the pic...

----------------

Why I like about this area is...

#1. It's the most OPEN area I can find in the hotel. Cause most of the area the con is using is all cramped-up. (trust me, I was just there just now!)...

#2. And has cool platform to station the cameras...

So what you guys think?

Hi Ron,
As you've noticed, that area in the Atrium is actually going to be where we're putting our Artists Alley... there might be some space off to the side, but it won't be as open as you might imagine it would be.

We're going to have an area outside in the parking lot sectioned off where we'll have some of Saiyajin Imports cars on display, that might be a place to consider. You should try contacting Allen on our forums and see what he thinks.

Just giving you the heads-up,
=-- Ben Nunez
Creative Director
Anime Reactor

Yui
10-18-2003, 10:42 PM
So the artist alley is in a randomly open area...hmm...that's weird. Tho neat that non-con people will be wandering through.

As far as outside for the photo shoot, is there any lawn whatsoever? Or at least any nice architectually interesting spot? I just worry that standing in a parking lot surrounded by cars isn't the most visually interesting or comfortable idea, no matter how much space there is.
Oh yeah, and if we are doing this outside, we might not want to be in ~direct~ sunlight if it can be avoided...as those of us in vinyl noticed at Kaze. @_@;

SoulCrash
10-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Yui since you ask. The only outdoor shot I recommand is the outside patio in the back of the hotel. Here's a pic of it..

Notice that there's tables in the area. Guess that means we have to move some tables to make it work. Just like what we did back at Kazecon...

Just hope it's good enough to fit around 25 to 35 peeps.

But if all else fails (which I doubt), I'll talk to Allen if it's okay with him if the cosplayers can share his car show spot. But if it rains that day, we using the pool... (if the hotel lets us... BEN, little help here?)

--------------
Edited

So far, I really recommand that we all meet in the outside patio (the one in that pic) for the group shot at Noon or 1 pm (weather pending). Since that's the only shot I can find that will work without getting our asses in trouble.....

----------

Edited (again)

I just check the seven days weather on both Fox News (Chicago), and WeatherChannel.com. And they both said there's a chance of rain sometime in Saturday. Now I'm panicing of where we should have a group shot...

Yui
10-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Okay, I'll help remind people about that too. A little table-moving again ought to be fine.
I guess so long as we don't take over a space already in use by the con &/or create a fire hazard, we'll be okay.

PyreFlye
10-19-2003, 05:56 PM
I think we should have the photoshoot on the patio, but if it rains, just move to the pool.

SoulCrash
10-19-2003, 06:00 PM
I think we should have the photoshoot on the patio, but if it rains, just move to the pool.

About the pool. I talk to James (the con-chair) on that, and he said photos are prohibited in the pool (I think you can figure out why). So if it rains that day. My final option I have left in my head is somehwhere in the lower level. Since that's like the second more open space of the hotel I saw. But two problem I'm going to experience is fire code, and it's probably not WIDE enough to get everybody. So we have to cramp up everybody in one shot...

SoulCrash
10-20-2003, 03:33 PM
I need your guys opinion.

Since it could rain on Saturday (if we want to do an outdoor group shot). Do you think I (or we) should move the group shot on friday when it's okay weather? Cause if we still going to do it on Saturday, and if it rains. We all have to go to the most open space of the lower level for the group shot to make it happen.

So what you guys think?

Ayana
10-20-2003, 04:46 PM
The problem with Friday (like I said over at the AR forums), a lot of people might be missing. And according to weather.com there's a 30% chance of scattered showes...

SoulCrash
10-21-2003, 01:13 AM
I sadly have to say this that I won't be in the group shot due to that I just found out that my AMV panel (Saturday at one in the afternoon) got move to the time of the shoot.

So Yui, if you get this message. Can you gather all the c.com peeps (and get Kevin Lillard too) for the group shot?

--------
edited

Note: You can pick up your pre-reg badge on Thursday night from 10pm - Midnight (which I found out from the AR forums).
http://www.animereactor.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341

For the peeps that going to arrive on Thursday. You'll see me in the hotel picking up my badge. Just look for my "See DICK. Wrestle" (You'll see a wrestler on the back) shirt.

grandis
10-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Okay, bring it on. I've got all the costumes done.

Grandis

Shinobi
10-21-2003, 08:32 PM
I won't be going after all. Hope you guys have fun.

DaphHime
10-21-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm defantly going! I'll try to make it to the photoshoot. What day and time is going to be? I'll probably be Excel all three days, since I don't know if I can get my Tira costume made in time. :(

That outdoor spot looks nice. Hopefully I won't get lost. Though I did find my way around ACen fairly quickly. *prays for good weather*

KnivesMoFO
10-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Alrighty, I just found out I'm going, so when and where exactly is the photoshoot gonna take place? I'd like to get in this one, seeing as I missed the last one at Anime Iowa...

Yui
10-22-2003, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I'm still here.
Your panel starts earlier now? Curses, who rescheduled that?
Well anyway, me and the rest of me band will do our best herding everyone up....uh, Saturday at 1, right?

Troppy
10-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Hey everyone...just dropping in this thread to let ya'll know that I am now apparently hosting a Para Para beginners' course at 5 o' clock on Friday ^_^ Stop in and give me some support since I think I'm flying solo... o_o;; Learn the dance routine to one song, a few Para Para facts...yeah, it'll be a fun time!

Luna Selene
10-22-2003, 08:06 PM
I hope it works out well for you, Troppy. I'm only comfortable with Cruel Angel's Thesis myself, but I've been working off the VCD to at least try Just Communication, Rinbu Revolution, and Velvet Underworld. Gah. I'm just not a good dancer. x.x;

This'll be my last post (most likely) till the end of Reactor. I'll be at the hotel tomorrow night to check in and get my badge, perhaps I'll see some of you there ^_^ If not, I'll see you all at the shoot on Saturday. Can't wait! I've had con withdrawal since Otakon...

Miss Valentine
10-22-2003, 08:14 PM
I'll be doing a "special" Yuna for Friday and not Dark Gunner, unless plans fall through. Trust me, they are known to happen. ^^; On a side note, does anyone have a short, purple wig just like Faye Valentine's? Thank ya! :)

KnivesMoFO
10-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Miss Valentine, I know exactly where I could get one... only thing is that it is just a tad lighter (I think).... Would you like me to pick it up, we can meet somewhere, and you could reimburse me for it?

SoulCrash
10-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I'm still here.
Your panel starts earlier now? Curses, who rescheduled that?
Well anyway, me and the rest of me band will do our best herding everyone up....uh, Saturday at 1, right?

I think I "found" a way to make it to the groupshot. But there's a catch for you guys for me to make it..

#1. I have to ditch my panel for like 15 to 20 mins.. (but it's a 2 hour panel)

#2. And if you guys can wait like (atleast) 10 to 15 mins for me to get there from my panel... (cause I have to set up my computer, and put up some AMVs for the delay of my panel)....

Is that cool with everybody (and Yui)??

Onless it got moved again by the time at the con, that is..

Miss Valentine
10-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Mew! Thanks so much for the offer KnivesMoFO but I just found one! ^^ Thank again and hopefully we'll meet up at the con! ^_~

KnivesMoFO
10-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Hey, anytime! I'll be there at the photoshoot, and you'll prolly see me waltzin around all Wolfwood-ed up.. Hope to see you then!

AllStarAlice
10-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Last post before I head to the con...Friday I'll be gunner Yuna and Saturday I'll be DJ Celica...look fer me! hehehe
I'll see u all at the photoshoot

DaphHime
10-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Ack! Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday! I'll be there soon maybe. Just look for Excel. Hopefully today will go better than yesterday.

Shinobi
10-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Y'all better post some pics soon, or I'm ah start bashing heads! >_<

Megumi-chan
10-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Yay! Anime Resctor was so fun!! I was Belldandy! Lots of people told me how pretty I was!! (I personally think I'm oogly... but oh well xD) That really made me happy! So after skipping around evrywhere for a while, I started getting bored and puty up a sign that said "Will give blessings for Pocky!" Of course 'blessing' means kissing xD So yeah I got a lot of pocky out of it. Did I get ot bless anyone here?? lol it was a blast! I wa so nervous when I went up on stage for Anime fabulous though! OMG! I was like, literally shaking behind stage xD But it was all good once I got out there though! A big thanks to everyone was cheering for me! Okay that whole thing was unnessesarily long... but er.. yeah :thumbsup: Will post pictures soon! Hope to see everone at Acen!! :heart: :angel: :heart:

KnivesMoFO
10-26-2003, 06:42 PM
*giggles* I just got back from a 4 HOUR trip.... But it was totally worth it!

I met awesome people this weekend... In case you didn't know, I was the Wolfwood with the giant cross with the brown on it... I was with the "Stripping" Vash... :-D

Anyways, if anyone's got pics of myself, Vash, or anybody for that matter, post them somewhere and I'll owe you for life!

Miss Valentine
10-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Knives... you are so hot. ^_~

Megumi-chan
10-26-2003, 07:04 PM
WOLFWOOD!!!!!! OMG!! You're so hot! Yesh! I saw you and I have a piccy of you!! I was the Belldandy that insisted on blessing (kissing) everyone! Yay for Trigun!! Phweeee~!! ::glomps::

RyuichiFanGirl
10-26-2003, 07:43 PM
WOOHOOO!!!!!! WOLFWOOD!!!!!!! I was one of the fangirls that kept getting u guys to do yaoi stuff ^_^ bwahahahaha!!! and Heyy megs!!! It is i Random kimono girl#3!!!!!!! >.>" anyways anime reactor kicked major ass and i had fun w/da pocky group and also got some of the pics developed and once i get it scanned the pic of vash and wolfwood kissin is goin up >.>" bwahahaha!

KnivesMoFO
10-26-2003, 07:43 PM
*blushes*

Thank you ladies, it means a lot to me!

Megumi-chan
10-26-2003, 09:34 PM
:love: You called me a lady!! ::squeels with glee:: I lub j00!!!!! ::glomps and 'blesses':: :D ::waves frantically:: Hi Random Kimono Girl #3!! ::huggles:: Yeah! That pocky group ROCKED!! :bigtu: I was so surpirsed how many of the guys I 'blessed' blushed furiously afterward :p lol, one of them was with their girlfriend who got angry after he turned a brilliant shade of fushia xD That actually made me feel kinda good about myself :thumbsup:

SoulCrash
10-26-2003, 09:38 PM
I just wanted to say...

Who enjoy my group's skit, aka The Pain in the Butt (OR NUTS!) Workout?

KnivesMoFO
10-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Man, that skit rocked my pants! Now here's my big question... Did they ACTUALLY nail you in the balls?

SoulCrash
10-26-2003, 10:11 PM
First off, I have to say that "I'm crazy but not stupid". That means, I had a CUP between my pants during the skit. But I still feel the pain when she got me..

Didn't you see that I pulled out my CUP when the Judges were doing were roasting?

RyuichiFanGirl
10-26-2003, 10:15 PM
that was an awesome skit!!!!!!!!

Troppy
10-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Yes, you see, you do not *know* Ron/SoulCrash. He gets hit in the balls...pretty much all the time. Wizard World was the first "public appearance" of this event to my knowledge...the he requested that Rikku and I kick him/hit him with Final Fantasy weaponry at the Little Red Schoolhouse photoshoot. Heck, he even posted on the AR boards that during intermission, the "entertainment" should be a chain of folks just hitting him in the sack.

..... .... see, it was funny the first time, but now it's just kind of old. Whatever floats ya'll's boat, I suppose... ^^;; Either way, I hope he doesn't plan on having children in the future. :E

Nice job by the way, Wolfwood. I was cheerin' for ya ;D

Lastly, thanks for the support everyone! I was the only Popstar Yuna there all weekend. I wasn't too happy with my costume, but I got to sing with a pianist, rock out to Simple and Clean from Kingdom Hearts, walk the runway with my girls, and get lots of pics taken. ^.^ Also a big thank you to the people that attended my ParaPara panel! You better *all* know the choreography 100% next time I see ya! <3 <3 <3

KrisnWo316
10-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Hey now......teh Strongbad loves teh ladies too.....

Just not teh ladies that are really guys......like a certain Mr. Cardcaptor Will.....

KnivesMoFO
10-26-2003, 10:34 PM
I could see really anything sitting there in the back... So I didn't see the cup.

The popstar Yuna costume was awesome! I noticed a HUGE Final Fantasy theme at this con. I'm glad! I was afraid of a repeat of Anime Iowa, where every other person was a Vash/Wolfwood.

Anyways, awesome con, to say the least.

Oooh! Did anyone happen to se my cross in the hallway with the sign?

Megumi-chan
10-26-2003, 10:56 PM
:blubber:: Waaah! I missed the skits!! Waaah!! ::sobs:: It sounds like it was hilarious! I wish I could have seen it, but we had a three hour drive ahead of us that night and it was already getting late so..

Troppy
10-26-2003, 11:57 PM
*giggles* I saw someone -hauling away- the cross. I suppose that was the intended outcome though, ne?

KnivesMoFO
10-27-2003, 12:01 AM
*nods* Yup! We put up a sign that said: "Please give our cross a good home. Signed, Vash (the stripping one) and Nick D. Wolfwood." Then it had our contact info..... We were just too lazy to haul it back to Iowa...

Vicious Spike
10-27-2003, 03:05 AM
This con was definitely awesome. And to think, I was about to leave before I had seen the skits. There were some very good skits, and many were judged really awkardly. I think all the alcohol going around the judges table blurred the scores. Anyways, good job everyone. Oh, and your group's Haruko was a total hottie. That strip-tease she started left me hot and bothered to say the least.

Just a humble bounty hunter!

lilithbunny
10-27-2003, 04:50 AM
I'm glad you liked it! Anime Reactor was a blast! This was only my second con ever (the first was Anime Iowa) but I was really impressed with the production level at Reactor. I thought the Den of Sin was pretty cool, even if the dj only played one drumline. Similarly, if anyone has pictures of me, pretty pretty please with sugar on top send them to me!

Megumi-chan
10-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Here's my illustration to go with Anime Reactor :bigtu: That's supposed to be me in the middle there xD

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/3608608/

Enjoy!

SoulCrash
10-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Just for the hell of it..

Here's a clip of "The Pain in the Butt (or NUTS) workout"...

ftp://12.248.70.2/Anime_Cons/ar/anime_idol/paininthebutt.zip

grandis
10-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey. I had a pretty subdued convention. I managed to forget Nemo's wigs, so he didn't costume, and we didn't enter any of the contests either. Ah well.

I thought that the con was pretty laid back overall. We found some nice things in the dealers room, and enjoyed ourselves accordingly.

Costumes? Natsuki was really well received. Dorothy was as well. I was dressing really lowkey this time out.

Thought that Anime Fabulous was a good idea. Walked out of Cosplay Idol after the first act, but really appreciated getting most of the bad skits out of the fashion show.

It was a small con. I really enjoyed talking to the folks I saw, but was really out of it this weekend. Works been killer, and it just finally caught up with me.

Grandis

KnivesMoFO
10-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Megs, I gotta say... I love that piccy you drew! *grins*

trekkieb47
10-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey guys, Berry here. I was Roger Smith Friday and Saturday (sorry Grandis that I missed you) and Sunday I was Michael, but no one recognized it. I had fun, I had drama, such is life. Thanks to all of my friends for a great time. :)

Berry

Firegirl
10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Also a big thank you to the people that attended my ParaPara panel! You better *all* know the choreography 100% next time I see ya! <3 <3 <3

OH SHEET! Uhmm,uhmm! I remember most of it? >D!! I SWEAR I'll act like I know what I'm doing the next time I see you! And it was an awesome panel, I'm glad you hosted it! ^_^

KrisnWo316
10-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Yeah Troppy.....it was definetly different seeing One Night In Arabia being the song to be taught.....normally people pick Eurobeat or Boom Boom Fire to teach.........haven't been to a panel with ONIA.

Maybe Valfarre 2000 next time. =D

And sorry I had to jet there.....I got a phone call that I just had to take, then I had to let someone in the room, and they were pissed off, and yadda yadda drama yadda......

kylash327
10-27-2003, 05:35 PM
I recognized yah Berry! :p I had lotsa fun! I found myself more entertained by a bag of cookies I had than the crap that was going on during the Anime Idol, but a good time was had by all in any case. Can't wait for next year!

RyuichiFanGirl
10-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Awesome pic megs!~
ohh ya wolfwood i will stalk u and vash down...ohh yes i will... >.> u guys must go to acen!! everyone must go to acen!~!~

DaphHime
10-27-2003, 10:29 PM
The skits were great! I had to go for the stripping Vash as my fave though. :thumbsup: I was the lone Excel cosplayer. Though there was a Puchu on Saturday. I didn't make it on Friday. I was hanging out with a Chi (who was Rinoa on Sunday), a Vash, and a character from Rave.

Poor SC's nuts will never be the same.

This was just my secound con by the way. I hope to see you guys at ACen next year.

BTW did any one go to karoke on Saturday night? I was with the group that started the conga line.

Troppy
10-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Special thanks to Frank for helping me with the panel, btw, he was a huge help...whoever is spreading the rumor that I'm "taking full credit" for it needs to be punched in the face nine times. Pardon me for taking compliments... -_-;;

...wow, I find it funny how blunt everyone is being. "I'M GONNA STALK YOU!" ...well..whatever works, I suppose :thumbsup:

SoulCrash
10-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Poor SC's nuts will never be the same.

But the good news is that I was wearing a cup at the time..

Since I'm posting. I'm going to ask you guys, Will you guys still want or want to compete in Anime Idol (the skit competition) if the judging is still the same?

-----
edited

oh yeah, I also posted a AR video thread on the AR forums...
http://www.animereactor.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373

KnivesMoFO
10-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Totally! I think that was half of the fun of the Skits!

Weasel
10-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the vids, now the Pimp Ash/Pika-Ho skit can live on in my hard drive!

I enjoyed the con, and most of the costumes I saw were very well made. While there may have been some judging issues, I still think that Cosplay Idol was a lot of fun, and most importantly was entertaining to the audience.

-Weasel
AKA: Dan Hibiki, the guy in pink during the Pimp Ash sketch
Ramen Life - ramenlife.vze.com

grandis
10-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Berry:

Saw you. My husband got a photo. Nice work on Roger.

I didn't wear Dorothy until later Saturday night. It was my fault entirely we didn't meet up.

You did look sharp.

Grandis

trekkieb47
10-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Berry:

Saw you. My husband got a photo. Nice work on Roger.

I didn't wear Dorothy until later Saturday night. It was my fault entirely we didn't meet up.

You did look sharp.

Grandis

Thanks! ^_^ If you go to ACEN 2004 we'll have to take a picture in costume in front of a piano. ^_^

Berry

kylash327
10-28-2003, 10:48 AM
I agree the skits were fun for most, but in all seriousness, there were children in the audience, and it did get a little out of hand. I felt bad for the people who actually had a serious skit and tried their hardest, but lost out because they didnt have topless girls or big boobs....and cmon, get judges who actually know a little about anime, there were too many "I have no idea what you're from so I cant give you any points" kinda things...

HEDGESMFG
10-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Since I'm posting. I'm going to ask you guys, Will you guys still want or want to compete in Anime Idol (the skit competition) if the judging is still the same?

Greetings, for those who don't know, it's the Dr.Tomoe of the "Tomoe spittake" skit...or the creator of "Sailor Neo Germany".

You know that I'd probably like to compete under just about any circumstance because I just plain enjoy doing it...

However, I do kind of have mixed feelings about the judges.

First of all, it was NOT my idea to frickin Bribe them! Jason just plain took the cash and gave it to em...so don't hold anything like that against me (not like we won, anyway)!

Second, while I can deal with their other criticsms and humor,(I mean, really...they didn't actually say anything negative about us aside from the lack of chugging), I find it ashame that they trashed some skits so much on sexual issues. That basicly just says to me and everyone else "Don't count on getting any recognition if you aren't sexy."

I'll PROBABLY compete again, but I'm not gonna change my methods for the judges appeal.

squeaky
10-28-2003, 12:10 PM
ANIME REACTOR is the BEST con I have EVER been to!

It was so fun, and the staff were the nicest, most helpful, fun, and cool staff EVER!!!!!!!!

I made more friends with the staff than the people attending the con!

I had a really good time. The only thing that sucked is like 2 people knew who our GTO group was, and only 1 person took a picture and we didn't even have our whole group together!

*pout* I was Toro-chan complete with F cup boobies, I thought that people (even if they didn't know who I was) would want a picture of at least the boobs!

Our Onizuka was so awesome! Here our Fan's View picture, if you want to check us out!

http://www.fansview.com/2003/animereactor/1025c098.jpg

also, I think the judges are very intelligent nice people, and I trust their judgement. They aren't going to view things the same way you do. I know the judges personally and I know they would never do or say anything to hurt people's feelings or trash a skit that was good, anything they said or did (like EVERYTHING these guys do) was all in the spirit of fun. Drunk or not. They just were having a good time and hoped everyone would follow suit!

KrisnWo316
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
also, I think the judges are very intelligent nice people, and I trust their judgement. They aren't going to view things the same way you do. I know the judges personally and I know they would never do or say anything to hurt people's feelings or trash a skit that was good, anything they said or did (like EVERYTHING these guys do) was all in the spirit of fun. Drunk or not. They just were having a good time and hoped everyone would follow suit!

Yeah, they may of been entertaining.....

But noone has a clue what we were saying backstage....

Seriously.....most of us were pissed off at what they were saying to people. None moreso upset than Will English was.... Whether it was in fun or not.....for them to call him "nubian urkel" or whatever it was.....i think even you'll admit that was going overboard.... And it REALLY pissed him off..... He didn't want to go back out for his second skit....he just wanted out of there.

Can you blame him really?

Ashiri-chan
10-28-2003, 09:32 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for making my first con a great one! I had the best time of my life! I met a ton of wonderful people and I hope we all keep in touch. (I was the crazy half-naked FFX-2 Theif Rikku all weekend). I'd never cosplayed for real until that weekend, but you guys made me feel right at home. I'm getting to work on new costumes, so I expect to see you all at ACEN in May! If you don't I'll hunt you down and drag you there! ^^

grandis
10-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Kylash:

First of all, both your Rocketeer and Farscape suits are amazingly well done. Feats of skill, both of them.

Secondly, I agree with everything you say about the skits, kids in the audience, and the judges being out of hand.

Just because someone judges doesn't mean that they know what they're doing. In general, costume contests choose celebrities who know little to nothing about making costumes. There are exceptions, but most of these folks don't know.

Secondly, drunk judges? Whose clever idea was that? Should a drunk judge be trusted to use the judgment of handling a mixed audience and being reasonable to the people they are judging?

Thirdly, anime fans do often forget that there ARE children in the audience who don't need to see that stuff, and folks like me who think that bearing tits in public (were there really topless acts? Wow!) is sort of base and won't help anyone who does it with their reputation in the future. We all gotta grow up sometime, and that sort of thing can come back to haunt us if we're not careful.

Besides, by the time you are my age, it's not funny. It bespeaks of a lack of experience in...certain arenas, if you think it's funny. Really.

So--er--um--yeah.

Don't forget, regardless of what you thought, to let the con know what you thought. That's pretty important, so they can plan for the future, either by banning kids (we bored people who know what breasts look like usually leave of our own accord--I did.), or by planning a more family friendly show.

Grandis

Ayaka
10-29-2003, 01:27 AM
Well the con is going to know what *I* thought. And the first way I chose to vocalize that was by tracking down the Kazecon con chair, and telling him that I want to be on his staff next year. I want to prove that you can have a good con without using sex as a main selling point.

If they want to make Reactor an adult con, fine. Those who are interested in that sort of thing can go, and those of us who are offended by immature humor, inappropriate comments, and public drunkenness will speak our piece by not attending. But my main complaint is that there was NOT FAIR WARNING about the content of the con. I'm 21, but a lot of people at that con were not, and even if I'm old enough I still want to know before I walk into a room what I'm in for. The ONLY reason I did not walk out of Anime Idol was because I had friends who were performing and I stayed to support them.

What was my problem? The fact that they treated the women in the masquerade as sex objects. Being open about that concept is one thing, but glorifying it? Talking about "jiggle factor", and that it was what would win the masquerade? To even talk about all the things I was offended by would take way too long. When I first saw the convention's mascot on a poster at a comics shop, I was a bit bothered by the art, but figured it was not really a big deal. I gave the con a second chance, and I think now that I was wrong to have done so.

Let's just say that if I want to see drunk, homophobic people talking about the little man in their pants, I'll go to a wet t-shirt contest at a bar. Finding out that those girls I saw walking around were hired "dancers" was the final straw as far as I was concerned, and left me regretting that I'd supported the convention by buying a badge. That is not why I go to anime conventions.

Anything that I could say about how the con was organized, run, any of the other events, is completely overshadowed by what I feel was objectionable content without fair warning that it would be present.

I am boycotting Anime Reactor next year.

That said, I do know people who were on staff, who are perfectly good people and I don't hold it against them; this is a personal decision I'm making. And I want to thank all the people who I met and hung out with, because they were the ones who made the con worth it for me.

Jakuhai
10-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Dont worry Dr. Tomoe, I was laughing so hard when Salior Neo Germany "Nazi Gundam" let his sheet go flying off revealing the dress and even harder when you were getting judged and he started dancing when it was mentioned that you "had no chicks".

You might remember me from Friday, before the opening ceremony, I was sitting on the couch with my ACen shirt, I got hoaxed for it later on, then quickly put on the Reactor shirt.

Cant wait for ACen04 now, when I might actually cosplay. :thumbsup:

HEDGESMFG
10-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks ^.^()

I could care less about winning, I just go to cons to meet people, express a hobby and interest, make friends, and make people laugh, and I've accomplished all of those so there's nothing to really complain about.

However, I agree about con content. Den of Sin just looked dumb when I wandered in there...(and say what you want but should they really be allowing you to get a beer if you're 17? O.o), and the humor...while I did laugh at some things, (I.E. Sorry, but Ron's crotch kick is still priceless, and I still love the Poke Pimp) just got out of hand IMHO.

I'll still give it a shot next year though.

Hikaru0
10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
I enjoyed myself at the con, as a whole. It was much better constructed, laid out, and things ran smoothly. My complaint is, however, up there with several others. Anime Idol. The idea was really neat, gleaning American Idol's judging and all, but the basis for points was uncalled for. It seemed to me, after one or two skits of girls taking off something, or being scantily clad, they wanted it in EVERY skit. I agree about their comments being crude and base, and lovely day, I can't show anyone in my family the skit that SoulCrash recorded because the judges have multiplying beer bottles in front of them.
the only big complaint I have is one of the judges hitting on my 14 year old sister, in front of me, but y'know, whatever. no harm done. X3 she couldn't hear a word he said. (She's deaf, btw, so if any of you tried talking to her without looking straight at her face so she could read your lips, chances are she didn't get a word you said)
But anyway, aside from that complaint, I really did enjoy myself, and I got to hang out with all sorts of people. Plus the doujin was cheap at all the dealers tables, and that made for one happy Hikaru :3

Jakuhai
10-29-2003, 10:02 PM
I am going to have to agree with statements made about Anime Reactor, because giving low points to the Poke Pimp sketch just because the judges are too "disgusted" by a guy in a dress is just wrong. When Pimp Ash said his Pika Hoe was booked and Dan or Dave(forgot his name, but he was in a red foofy dress) came out as the "special surprize" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing! Granted there were more crossdressing than there should have been, but I think I am secure enough in my manhood that I can see a man in a dress. Lets not forget Salior Bubba!!

Also the judging on the amount of sexual content did get old after a while. Yeah, we all know men like breasts, but thats not a reason to judge every skit on. Good job on everyone who participated though, it was a laugh riot.

Serge_Strikes
10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
If you guys slightly remember me, I was the ever ignored Jiro from Kikaider. I'm gonna start off my first post here lol. Dude! I can't believe I'm seeing so many familar faces here, I'm gonna start hanging around here! Anime Reactor had it awesome cool and downs. But I was so happy to see so many people there, I live 15 minutes away from there too lol.

A DDR LeGend
10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
I am going to have to agree with statements made about Anime Reactor, because giving low points to the Poke Pimp sketch just because the judges are too "disgusted" by a guy in a dress is just wrong. When Pimp Ash said his Pika Hoe was booked and Dan or Dave(forgot his name, but he was in a red foofy dress) came out as the "special surprize" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing! Granted there were more crossdressing than there should have been, but I think I am secure enough in my manhood that I can see a man in a dress. Lets not forget Salior Bubba!!

Also the judging on the amount of sexual content did get old after a while. Yeah, we all know men like breasts, but thats not a reason to judge every skit on. Good job on everyone who participated though, it was a laugh riot.

that was me :)

Jakuhai
10-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Good job man, I lost my voice from laughing and cheering at those skits.

:bigtu:

BTW: does anyone know why my sig displays sometimes and not others? The box is check to show it.

Ayana
10-30-2003, 07:10 PM
I had a lot of fun ^_^ I was the single Lenne that was there on Saturday...who would have imagined, only one Lenne? I was pleasantly shocked, since I was all but ignored at ACen. I was also the Moogle on Friday (who forgot Kupo Nuts, damnit...), and my sister Sami was the kawaii White Mage Rikku who won Best Under 12 in Anime Fabulous ^_^ I had a grand old time there. I still remember the para dance, Troppy :P heehee. I did have a bit of a complaint with the Cosplay Idol though. I thought the judging was a bit unfair, and some of the content...I wouldn't normally had had a problem with it...but me and Troppy had our sister's with us, and her sister is 14 and mine is 11. Some of that stuff they prolly shouldn't had seen. And I felt really bad for how the judges kept ripping on Will because he crossplays and Hedges (I LOVED your guys's skits!!!). And a few other things that were said...but all aside, I had fun.

And I was the girl who karaoked Real Emotion Saturday night...bet a lot of you didn't recognize me out of costume, ne? XD I sure got a great reaction from the audience though!

Firegirl
10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
AR was awesome! Troppy's panel was super fun, and it was an all around good crowd. The artist's alley people were SOOOO nice!

I was pumping out songs at karaoke in that goofy Devil outfit. My wings kept falling off, so I got rid of them. >D The Crono person was mouthing all the songs I was singing, and I was so suprised other people knew the DUAL! theme! =D It was great!

Friday, I catered around Asuka's yellow dress and the Devil tunic. Saturday I was Red XIII for most of the day (Yes, I was the one who walked out on all fours at Anime Fab), and Sunday I was Sailor Chibimoon form SailorMoon S. I was really glad that I got a lot of props and recognition on my costumes! There were some amazing pieces there, and it was great to see that you're not the only one working hard.

I'm looking forward to next year! I missed Cosplay Idol because I was busy becoming un-orange. I will try to be in it next year! I saw pictures, and it looked like a good time.

My only major complaint was the Closing Ceremonies. Art auctions can be a SEPERATE part! We just spent all of our money in the hall; we can't afford a $300 piece of bristol board. Just thank us for coming already!

I'll be waiting for you all next year! =D

Yui
10-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Well, Ayaka got to it first.
Yes, Reactor was better organized and advertised, more smoothly-run, greater attended con than Kaze was. And it wasn't in a zombie-infested dungeon of a hotel. But what it had going for it was no match for the offensive content it encouraged.

I was disgusted, especially, at their poor choice of judges for the skit portion of the masquerade - and it was entirely unexpected, since all the while, they kept saying "this is a family show" even as it became progressively less so. All I can say is that I am so glad my nieces couldn't make the con, and that I was deeply embarassed for all the little kids and their parents who were there.
Now I'm not squirmish about some adult content (for anyone who recognized any of my cosplays that weekend would know) and I am technically of legal age to view anything they can throw at me, but that doesn't mean I -want- to be subjected to that kind of stuff. Yeah, it's amusing for imaginary, animated characters, but to see that kind of behavoir in real life is just pathetic. I appreciate now why some of those guest judges have already been banned from attending ACen. Really, our little group in the audience was simply frozen incredulous at their demeaning comments, and it killed the mood for the rest of the night.

Again, the only things that made the weekend worth anything were some of the nice photos I took, hanging out with some great people and seducing some more j-rock cosplayers for the future. ^_- It was one of those cons that failed to offer anything of itself, and the weekend was only saved by the people I chose to spend it with.

kylash327
10-31-2003, 12:33 AM
*nods* Word.

DaphHime
10-31-2003, 09:40 PM
The over sexualzation of Cosplay Idol didn't bother me too much. Though I didn't like the comments about "jiggle factor" that much. Not because of the sexualty, but the fact that it was somewhat biased. And there wasn't any toplessness other than the "stripping" Vash and SC with out a shirt. And hasn't over sexualized skits been done at other cons? It's really nothing new. The drunken judges were a big WTF. One beer didn't bother me all that much, but when they had piles of bottles. I did kind of like the idea of the whole spoof of American Idol. But since this was a first year con, alot of things need to be worked on. The one thing that did bother me was the fact that no one took the microphone. I was sitting in the back and I chouldn't hear a word anyone was saying. Though I gotta commend the guy who was Prof. Tomoe, he had a good loud voice and I chould hear alot of what he was saying.

Can't say anything about the dances. For one I was underage to go to the Dance of Sin, and I wasn't there for the Friday dance. It didn't bother me much, I'm not a fan of the rave style dances. One of the reasons why I didn't go to the Soap Bubble at ACen, other than cerfew issues.

This con serves as a good way to get pumped for ACen. And for a first year con, it wasn't too bad. It will probably be better as the years go by. It may be a more adult con, but as years go by, more and more people will come which means more and more kids. And a greater chanch of things being toned down.

Yui
11-01-2003, 02:00 PM
If you weren't at the dances, you didn't notice the professional 'dancers' then. They weren't in the skits - they were actually hired appearantly.
I don't think Reactor can (or would want to) shake the reputation it has already made for itself. If it's trying to reach that kind of crowd, that's fine; I just won't go, and now I know. I just wish they had been more up-front in the beginning, because they've expired their trust already.
I truely hope more kids don't show up, to be honest. I say leave this to be the high-school minded con that it is. Other than that, I'm not going to discourage anyone who had a good time from going next year. But, like Ayaka, I personally now am going to be putting my effort into making Kazecon awesome next year - not as a protest, but just to prove that sex and drunkness do not have to idolized at an anime con to make it "good."

A DDR LeGend
11-01-2003, 10:58 PM
yay! go conservatisim

show these hippies we mean buisness!

*hides*

Yui
11-02-2003, 03:15 AM
<--- was dressed in "Diru-porn"
Haha, "conservatism" huh? XP

Well, all I want is a warning if/when something's about to get stupid/tasteless/disrespectful. Being prepared for something like that is one thing. People who put on cons have to be sensitive to different kinds of people, and they can go ahead and have older audience programming, but it should be clearly stated then.
And they really gotta control their guest judges regardless.

A DDR LeGend
11-02-2003, 11:51 AM
<--- was dressed in "Diru-porn"
Haha, "conservatism" huh? XP

Well, all I want is a warning if/when something's about to get stupid/tasteless/disrespectful. Being prepared for something like that is one thing. People who put on cons have to be sensitive to different kinds of people, and they can go ahead and have older audience programming, but it should be clearly stated then.
And they really gotta control their guest judges regardless.

i was being sarcastic. they should have warning labels that say 'beware, there are guys dressed as girls at this con'

Weasel
11-04-2003, 01:26 AM
I haven't really commented much on the con, but here's what I thought.
Friday: I got there late, and went with friends to the Philosophy In Anime panel. The person holding the con didn't show up, but a staff member (I think his name was Frank Ho) came by to apologize, as what we thought of the con, and try to run the panel. In my entire time there, he was the most helpful and friendly staff member I encountered. If AR know's what they're doing, the'll give him a bigger role.

Then went to Terrell Show, which was very funny. To many anime fans who didn't know how to ask trivia questions. I remember a girl asking "What the name of Sailor Venus (or someone) in the fandub ::insert fandub title here::" Very, very stupid question, and Terrell was definetly a lot nicer than I would have been. That event was when I noticed that the con could have used a lot more control, to shut up rowdy people with stupid comments. Some people throughout the con seemed to forget that it wasn't a show about them, it was for everyone.

Otaku Big Date was very unorganized. The event director asked for applications, never let the applicants know what was going on, and then promptly went and picked random (and seemingly not so random) people from the audience. When one of the contestants is a staff member, and you don't even make the attempt to have him look like he's a normal, paying congoer, then that's a slap in the face to the audience and to anyone who wanted to be a part of it.

Meltdown was fun, and had great music. Nothing good or bad to say about it, it was a dance.

Anime Fabulous had a great idea (fashion show), but didn't exactly come off well. No attention was given to the people who mad the costumes, even the simple words "this costume was made by" would have been nice. I don't make my own costumes, so I'm always in awe of everyone who can make costumes. I personally did not like the hostess, but a lot of people have already voiced their opinions on her here and at the AR forum.

Cosplay Idol was a lot of fun. The sketches were good, though some of them just weren't my thing. I give everyone in it credit, except for one group. Not trying to pick a fight, this is just my criticism. One group's sketch (not the Strong Bad one, which was funny) involved taking the concept (and even some lines) from a popular webcartoon. I appreciate people who pay homage to stuff, but it seemed to cross that line a bit. As for my group (Pimp Ash/Pika-Ho), going on stage was a lot of fun. The judging was great, with the exception of the Cardcaptor Will penalty, which was stupid. As for the hostess, it seemed that the groups backstage all seemed to find her rude.

Den of Sin sucked. The music was horrible, the lighting was weird, and there should never have been a professional dancer. I don't have a problem with them, I just don't think that a con (even if it's a 17+ event) is the right place for them. Besides, if anyone should dance on a pole it should be anime fans who are there because they want to be, not because of a paycheck. From what I heard, they did show up, and they did a very good job.

So, that's my opinion, excuse the late and long posting. I put up three comics about AR, all of which were made before the con, and kinda made fun of it (and other cons). I had low expectations, and I was very surprised at how good it was. When it was good, it was good, but when it was bad it was very annoying.

-Mike
aka: Dan, the guy in pink in the Pimp Ash/Pika-Ho sketch

RikkuX
11-12-2003, 05:21 PM
I know I'm a lil late a commenting on this, but i was just wandering through forums and landed here. I very much agree w/ Yui and Ayaka's view on Cosplay Idol.

My personal opinion, i havent voiced very much, because it comes out as 'well, we shoulda won' when really i just wanna point out that i agree that the drunkenness/pervertedness of the judges seemed to play a lil too much of a factor in the judging.

I wont rant, but long story short, had the judges been drunk throughout the entire event, i believe it would have been a bit more fair... ^_^

Boycott Reactor? I dunno if i'll do that because Chicago is rather starved for cons, but i'd go to cosplay, probably not compete.

btw, i dont think there'll be a Kazecon next year