PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Policy Question

saphire_angel
06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm new to the whole convention thing and I was wondering what exactly the weapon policy is on guns. I've got two black guns with the red tips and was wondering what the policy was on them. Please help me out!

halafax
06-22-2006, 02:59 PM
The weapons policy at dragon con is pretty straight forward. If you have guns and they have the orange tips on them you will be ok. However dont go brandishing them around, for posing and such they dont bother you. I went as Gungrave last year, and my friend went as dante, mind you our guns didnt look real, but be smart about how you show them off and you will be ok. What kind of guns are they? Airsoft? cap guns what?

Here are the rules verbatum from their page:

Please abide by our weapons policy: All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons includes water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated and rule #7 enforced. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons - thanks!

Especially in the harsh reality of 2003 Dragon*Con security staff, hotel security, and local law enforcement officials will treat anything that looks like a real gun as a real gun. We do not post bail.

saphire_angel
06-22-2006, 03:21 PM
They're airsoft guns.

joeranger
06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Have all airsoft unloaded, uncharged, and get a zip tie around the trigger holding it back, the dc staff can help you. just ask.

saphire_angel
06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
thanks bunches!!

saphire_angel
06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Oh heres a good question...Lets say you're staying in a different hotel than the ones the con is held in and you walk have to walk there. What then? I'm making these holsters for the guns which conceal them entirely...which may or may not be good. If someone can tell me what should be done in this situation that'd be great also.

AuroraCeleste
06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Just to be safe, is there some way you can put them in a drawstring, opaque bag and then tuck the bag into your pocket/outfit when you get to the con hotels? A lot of people in Atlanta know to expect people carrying crazy things and dressed in crazy costumes, but it only needs one newbie to call the cops.

saphire_angel
06-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Okay let me get this straight so I don't mess up. You want me to put the guns in a drawstring, opaque bag and then tuck them into my pocket...not that I'd have one big enough...or outfit so that people can't see them on my way over to the con hotels. I'll stop beating around the bush and get over my preshyness, because I am quite shy, and I'll go ahead and show yall what I'm planning.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/saphire_angel/094.jpg
I forget sometimes that most holsters allow room for the guns to be seen and easily drawn out. I haven't made them yet but once made then guns shouldn't be visible at all.

Also I just want to say thank you too all those who have helped me and have put up with my ignorace. I truely appreciate it.

halafax
06-23-2006, 08:50 AM
If the guns are obviously fake, and have the red things on the end you should be fine. Also if you are in costume and walking down the street you should be fine. The Atlanta PD will be aware that Dragon COn is going on. So they arent going to dog pile you because you have them on. Just be smart about it. What hotel are you going to be staying at?

Thats going to be an interesting costume. You should come find me out this year, Ill be going as gun grave, we can see who has the bigger guns...:D

saphire_angel
06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Lol, I should hope you have bigger ones. But, um, I'm actually worried about which hotel I'll be staying at because I currently can't afford it....which wasn't planned at all. I had recently left one of my jobs because of a change in policy. It sucks...a lot...so hopefully I'll be able to get a room because I have a friend from Washington state coming in as well for the week.

halafax
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
If you cant stay in the main hotels the sheriden is right next to the hyatt. Its a bit cheaper, there are other hotels around town that are way way cheaper. Just have to get an idea of how much you can afford.
If you want to talk about it, hit me up on IM and we can go from there

Dany
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I think the 'bag idea' means putting the guns in the bag, taking them out of the bag when you get to your destination. I suggest finding something a little heavier than a grocery store shopping bag. Hot Topic ones could work, or any store that uses about that weight and opacity. Plus, most of those bags can fold up pretty well once you have the guns out, and you can shove it into a backpack, or even your pocket.

It's discrete, gets your gear where you need it to go, and keeps the PD from being unhappy :)

Darth Takeo
06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Can't wait for Dragon*Con even more after this thread. Tired of these other cons with gestappo prop rules then dealing with deputized teenagers who try to get pissy with you over weapons.

fightstar
06-23-2006, 06:31 PM
I've never been to any other con other than Dragon Con, but I have heard stories of the 'teenage Con police'. I look foward to Dragon Con this year as well.

Side note: Just avoid these J3rKz when you are at D*Con this year. Stupid norms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfJKonCCkTM

Darth Takeo
06-23-2006, 09:27 PM
What's worse, being a geek and dressing up or taking the time to make a documentary out of it? ROFL I think the latter.

fightstar
06-24-2006, 12:51 AM
TRU! Anyway back on subject. Check with the Dragon Con website, www.dragoncon.org, and see about their weapons policy and hope it doesn't change before the day of the Con.

saphire_angel
06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
I mean I know I can be ignorant but I did look at the weapon policy on the web stie...I found it kind of vague when it came to guns, thats all.

Seriously...that documentary was whack

ramesese
06-29-2006, 11:40 AM
I have a question? I'm thinking of going as the bat, now I have metal bat-rangs is that permitted? Also, I will be flying down there so will I be allowed to bring those with me through the airport in baggage, if not will I be allowed permission from D-Con to take those with I mean afterall it will be in secured baggage and not on my person on the plane? Help please. Thanks

joeranger
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
I think the policy is vague because people in the past have always shown good judgement. Most weapons, while modeled after real guns, would never be a concern. blasters, pulse rifles ect. especially if held by a obvious costumer.

Then you have costumed fans with real looking guns, Cobra, Tomb Raider, the biggest concern here is the airsoft/shoot your eye out kid.

Real uniforms and realistic weapons Stargate, GI Joe... I think are the ones who have to be the most carefull.

If everyone just uses common sense...

ramesese
06-29-2006, 12:04 PM
That is true and very well put. The bat-rangs will be secured in pouchs on my belt and my belt is all metal. I won't be bringing any replica as you just described so I guess I don't have to worry about that. Thanks for the feedback my man, if you have any more updates on the subject but you already summed everything just let me know. You can check my gallery if you like.
www.gotham-enterprise.com

Arlette
06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
I'd also like to add for the poster that they are very lenient about guns when being used for obvious cosplay purposes. Two years ago I had a crappy Jill Valentine costume at D*C and brandished Airsoft pistols all around, and no one cared because they had orange tips. Also, when we arrived and parked, we had to cross the street to the convention hotel and my husband was dressed like this and carrying a very large Airsoft gun: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=201449 and even the non-con people driving by hardly glanced at him, because everyone knows about D*C and knows what to expect. He got it peacebonded, of course, but they're very cool about putting the ribbon in a place where your hand can cover it for pictures. ^_^

ramesese
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the information I guess I can breathe now.

Enchurito
06-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Am I correct that this means I can't draw my metal sword from zelda for any reason?

kitsunered
07-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Am I correct that this means I can't draw my metal sword from zelda for any reason?

Not in a crowded area, no. If you've retired with a photographer to some quiet area where there aren't many people around and you're really unlikely to hit someone (the lounge level of the Mariott is a good example) then they're more likely to let you get away with it. Pulling it out in the middle of the Hyatt lobby would be a definite no, however.