PDA

View Full Version : Ashton Anchors

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Very simply put.... I want to be Ashton Anchors.... any idea how to get Gyoro and Ururun to stay on my back and still be a fairly big an accurate size and not dinky lil mini-dragons? I was thinking some type of under my cape shouldery harness IE Football shoulder pads type deal.... or even better... how should I go about making the swords? Wood or Fiber Glass or what?

Ayaka
08-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Oh, I know that character! ^^ Though only from a raw copy of v16 of the manga, lol. Which is why I didn't know his name. I'm gonna tell you the same sword technique I tell other people; pink insulation foam sheeting from Home Depot/whatever. Easily cut, shaped with sandpaper, seal it and paint it, and you've got a nice lightweight item without the fuss of fiberglass or special tools. You could also do those in wood if you want something sturdier. I think you're on the right track about a shoulder harness; though hiding it under the cape and still having the dragon heads stick through may be a challenge. Wow, okay, I'm mostly stumped about that at the moment. Maybe someone else can help or I'll think of something later.

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-05-2002, 11:55 PM
I figure I'd cut holes through my cape kinda and just have them pop up through that, y'know? They're plushies so they can smoosh into the hole.... plus my Cape should be covering the rest of that stuff prolly....

So... that pink foamy stuff & sand paper etc. Will that be sturdy and look really cool? Or will it look cheesy and tacky... like if they were made out of cardboard? lol

Ayaka
08-06-2002, 12:22 AM
It'll look better than cardboard, lol. If you're going for absolute top coolness factor you might want to try casting them in plastic. Make sure that you seal the polyfoam before painting, a basic art store sealer for porous stuff will work fine. But, I was taught this by some low budget movie SFX people (hey! there's nothing wrong with low-budget!), and they swore by it for sword making, as long as you weren't going to be doing any fighting with them. I've unfortunately never finished a piece with this technique . . . I was working on a gun and a replica of the 8-foot sword in Silent Mobius and um my friend kind of kidnapped the materials over a year ago and I can't get them back . . . =_=;;;;

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Sucks about your materials being snagged... hmm... well.... I MIGHT fight with the swords.... not major fight, just play fighting for posing IE light taps and stuff.... but yeah.... I dunno.... My father is the ultra cool craftsman art guy... so I just need multiple ideas to print out and give to him and see what he thinks is the best idea...

Celine
08-06-2002, 01:32 AM
Gah, I made an Ashton costume a long time ago. It wasn't very good, but here's what I did:

For the dragons, I made their skeletons out of wire mesh (floral stuff you can buy at JoAnns) and covered it with fabric and stuffed it with... uh... stuffing. This way, they were sturdy, bendable, and plushie. Then I attached this to a piece of very thick cardboard which was sewn into a corset-like harness thing. That thing was worn under the robe, with holes in the back for the dragons to fit through. The holes were covered up by the capey thing he wears.

If I can find a pic, it'll be ugly, but the idea worked well. It was just defeated by pitiful construction skills.

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-06-2002, 10:24 AM
Hrmm.... I'm so desperately hoping to contact the one Ashton Anchors I saw at Otakon 2002, but it seems only me & my friend saw her, she like hid in various dark rooms apparently watching Anime lol. Her dragons were GREAT, like actual size and everything, only problem is they may have seemed a lil saggy 'cuz they were too heavy.