PDA

View Full Version : j-rock costumes

riasa_hideto
03-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Hello there!

Im really interested in making jrock costumes. Some bands (like PSycho le cemu, dir-en-gray) really really have NICE COSTUMES!! Man! Where to they get these stuff?!? All I know is that there are a lot of costume shops in J-land. ^__^

Anybody here actually cosplayed these bands?! I really really want to cosplay one of these bands. So far Im sticking to l'arc (and hyde) coz his costumes are relatively easy (a suit and a tie) but Im looking forward to work on really really big jrock costumes (such as Psycho le cemu).

Any tips?!? ^__^

Yui
03-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Well, if you're going towards the massively visual end of the bands there, be prepared to spend somewhere between $100-$300 on your costume - so be sure to pick someone you really like, so you can reuse it at other cons. And don't rush...it ought to be fun to make. (My first Kami I made over the course of a year...I had like five different wing prototypes O_o) Also, start looking for all the detail stuff (trims, jewelery, shoes) as soon as you can, and once you have that out of the way, you can sew anytime. Don't feel like you have to match every single detail, either...there's a lot of ways you can simulate parts of the real costumes. Also, if you're really just getting into sewing, too, you might wanna try picking a dark-colored outfit first, since it's a bit less stressful.

Um, yeah, there's some quick tips...need anything more specific?

Yuna
03-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Yeah, cause we're all experts here.

Koumori
03-09-2003, 06:27 AM
Depending on which costumes you want to do, it might be a good idea to start familiarizing yourself with lots of different materials, especially everybody's favorite, stretch PVC; also maybe leather, fake fur, corsetry, and all those little metal hardware bits that the j-rockers love so. Playing around with them a bit now will help you feel more in control of the project when you work up to those really crazy costumes.

I've found it's even more important with j-rock than with other costumes to make sure you look at as many pictures as possible, from all sides. There are often a bunch of different versions of the costumes, the j-rocker may change his hair between photo shoots, etc.

Cyber Wolf
03-09-2003, 09:38 AM
True, I know for my current costume there was like three different hairstyles for this guy. Just go with the one you like the best ^^

Familiarize yourslef with makeup too. Get a bunch of it at a 99 cents store or something, and just play around with it. So when con day comes, you'll know exactly how and what to put on. Oh, and like Yui said, they do cost a lot. Even if you buy your supplies from a relatively cheap store, you'll end up spending more than you think. These costumes eat up your time too. T_T

riasa_hideto
03-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the infos..I mean yeah..they really really eat up your time and money (I have to balance my academic time and work just to be able to join these cosplays)

BTW...I have another question..I have pics of Psycho Le Cemu and they use really shiny material for their costumes. Its like plastic, but its not leatherette (I checked some stores here)... do you guys know what material that is? ^__^"

Yui
03-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Which costumes are you looking at? Sometimes it's 2-way stretch vinyl (or even 4-way stretch vinyl...but good luck finding 4-way that -isn't- black). Sometimes it's satin. Daishi seems to find sparkley fur somewhere. (My store actually -sells- sparkley faux fur, but so far we haven't gotten anything he's used yet.) Seek's armors have a lot of molded plastic on areas that don't need to bend. For my Shangri-La Yura I'm working towards (i.e. won't be done til next year X_x*) he seems to have a nice soft-brushed suede, maybe velveteen even...which seems shiney in some light but not others. You should also look into iced panne...very soft and very shiney, tho heavy.
Yeah, anyway...post the pic you're thinking of, and we can help you pinpoint the material.

Edit: We're all experts, here? O_o* I'm not. ^_-

riasa_hideto
03-09-2003, 11:51 PM
uhmm...Im thinking of doing either Yura or Aya's costume. Im starting now with Yura's costume-- im starting with the thing in his back (which is like Edea's of Final fantasy). ^___^" I have cosplayed robots before (mostly robotech) so I thinnk I will skip Daishi's robotic like costumes (but it would be fun to make one!).

Here's yura's pic. i stilll dont know where to buy that shiny red plastic-like material he used for his costume...-_-""

Kas
03-10-2003, 11:01 AM
hmm.. it could be pvc.. *looks at pic* Whaooo.. if you make that.. I bow down to you.

Yui
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Nice choice. ^o^
Um, yes, the rigged shoulder pieces might just be thin pvc bended around as a top layer. Looks like it's the same material for the hat then. The rest of the red on his outfit definitely seems to have a different sheen to it, so you could probably go with much lighter fabric such as satin since these are areas you do need to be more flexable (have to be able to bend at joints and stuff, usually ^_-)

die-sama
03-11-2003, 11:01 PM
ah yura sama is very fun to cosplay *haha*
wathc out that u dont injure anyone like i almost did

ur doin the new version!! ^^ can't wait to see that one

here u go. a link w/ my cosplays

if u scroll and look around u'll see my Psycho le Cemu one ^^

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/complete.asp?memberid=354

riasa_hideto
03-13-2003, 07:37 PM
die chan!!!

I LOVE YOUR toshiya costume!! ^__^

Im a fan of dir-en-grey too.. ^__^"""

die-sama
03-13-2003, 09:37 PM
ah ^^ arigatou ~ ^-^
good luck on ur Psycho le cemu!!! :D :D!!

Kas
03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
All of your costumes is like top notch Die-chan.. Very very good.. You have skillzs!!

die-sama
03-16-2003, 12:41 AM
*turns red* arigatou neee ^_^!!1

riasa_hideto
03-16-2003, 05:43 AM
hmmm...i have to start working on my psycho le cemu...

First problem is where to get pvc here in this damned country. My friend in japan and the US said you can find it anywhere there..but here....damn. -_-"" Im still making the back though.. will work hard on it so as to make YURA-sama proud. ^__^

..b ut it will be hard since Im rushing another costume for a con this april. Im making stained glass wings for Angel Sanctuary. Ill be Kurai/Cry...

hope there will be a big big jrock con...I'll go probably as Kyo from Dir en grey...Malice Mizer will be fun too..or I;ll try Aya's Space Galaxy costume...HAHAHAHHA!! Full of ideas......im going crazy on what to wear.....

Cyber Wolf
03-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Stained glass wings!? o_O I so wanna see them when you're done. Good luck an' all!

RichAyanami
03-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Hey Diechan, I was looking through your cosplaylab gallery and saw one of your Kyo a la Ain't Afraid... Did you try doing the spikes on his face?? I've been tryin to figure out how I could do that...
^^

LaylaCinder
03-28-2003, 08:33 PM
:x... I'm not Die, but I can actually probably answer your question, Richayanami. What you could use is spirit gum which could hold basically anything within reason to your face... including prosthetic noses. Actually anything on your head and body too, but that's besides the point. If you dab some on and hten try to attach them, they shouldn't budge until you use spirit gum remover. Make sure you have some remover though, because otherwise your skin will come right off with it! x_x

RichAyanami
04-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Cool stuff, I'll try that. I think I'm gonna try that with either nails or pins of some kind... Nails might be kinda heavy though... mmmm... how to attach spikey metal things to my face, how to attach spikey metal things to my face.... mmm..... XD

Lady Orunitia
04-03-2003, 01:50 AM
Has anyone tried to cosplay BLAM HONEY?

domestik
04-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Lady Orunitia: I've toyed with the idea of running around as Ryonai, but that ain't gonna happen. XD;

A friend of mine however, is planning on making the outfit--someday. And if my other friend joins in, a Tatsuya will be running around as well.

*shrug* I don't know when either costumes will be completed though.