PDA

View Full Version : Favorite -Disposable- Camera?

koikana
07-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be in charge of AFW's website for 07, and I want lots of pictures from the attendee's perspective (and since I'm in charge of cosplay, a lot of cosplay pictures) so I was thinking of buying a bunch of disposable cameras to give to predetermined TRUSTABLE fans and having them run around take pictures as they will, and allow them to keep the actual prints when I get take them to the 1-hour.

My question is, what types of disposable cameras have you had good times with, and which ones bite? I haven't used a disposable since I was eight, so I have no idea.

Thanks!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Kodak is pretty good. Costs about $5 a camera. I mean, anything w/ Kodak in the name has to be good right?

avoid any under $5! Those tend to suck BADLY!

i haven't used a disposable in a while...but i may have too because my digi cam sucks and i'm poor and can't buy a new one :)

Miroku205
07-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Kodak is pretty good, I think their HD disposible camera's are the best though they cost like $9. But now I have a digital camera, so I don't use disposible's anymore.

Fighterspledge
07-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I used Kodak alot when I didn't have a camera while I was in the Marines, and they took some great pictures despite the price. Stick with the name brand disposables if you're going that route.

staereo
07-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure what is offered much anymore in the ways of one time use cameras for film.

What I will suggest is that you MAKE SURE it uses iso 800 film. The kodak brand offers MAX800 or something. It tends to be a little more versatile at getting a proper exposure, I understand.

Making sure you get 800 or higher ISO will make better indoor shots from inexperienced photographers snapping pics.

Since the ISO is higher, the shutter will be a little faster, and you will get less blur from handshake, and more good exposures from gathering light faster. It will be well worth the grain.

Remind them to FILL THE FRAME of their viewfinder. This will help reduce your 'tiny-person-in-pic' problem, as well as make them get close enough for that little flash to actually be effective.

Bruce

koikana
07-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys.

And I never knew what the number on the film meant. Good to know!

staereo
07-08-2006, 02:32 PM
To be technical, with film, the number is a reference to a certain value range to which the chemicals in the film with expose properly in a given amount of time. A QC and standards company that works in all fields of business, science, etc, known as International Standards Organization has spelled out what the specifications are to allow a universal standard of comparison and QC so that film may be measured.

Film speed, or 'ISO' number measures how much light (time or intensity) that it takes to properly expose the film. The higher the number, the less light it requires to expose the film. Consequently, there is not as much light being fed to the chemicals, and there ends up being more grain. So quality tends to be better with slower (lower ISO number) film.

ISO was once referred to as ASA, and today there are times you will still see it called ASA, but the standards are alike.

A quick, easy lesson in exposure.

Think of taking a picture, as filling a bucket. The idea is to always end up with a full bucket of water.

Water is light.
The speed you flow water into the bucket is controlled by aperture.
The length of time you pour for is shutter speed.
The size of your bucket is your film speed (ISO).

The object is to always fill your bucket perfectly to the top. Not lower than the top, and not overfilled.

Bruce

funeralfor_you
07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Kodak is pretty good. Costs about $5 a camera. I mean, anything w/ Kodak in the name has to be good right?

avoid any under $5! Those tend to suck BADLY!

i haven't used a disposable in a while...but i may have too because my digi cam sucks and i'm poor and can't buy a new one :)

That sucks for me because I tend to go with the cheapest ones
What can I say other than I'm poor... :[

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-08-2006, 10:10 PM
funeral: same here...that's why i am investing in a good digi cam :) haha. That way i won't spend a lot of money in disposable cams.

Captaine Kit
07-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Lomolito Single Use Camera with Flash

Though single use cameras, in general, create an unnecessary demand for plastics and waste in the environment, they are definitely fun and interesting in the world of Alternative Photography.

Lomo branded cameras range from goofy fun (point-and-shoot) to serious fun (moneys and moneys required). I suggest this one for goofy because it comes cheap, in flash colors of red, blue, yellow, or green. It might actually add something to cosplaying because we know our characters of fictionland come packaged in those staple color themes. Have fun!