PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Keyblade making!

Katzu
03-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Hey! ^_^ I'm making a Sora costume, but what's really boggling me is the Keyblade. I'm making the Kingdom Key. I'm planning to make it completely out of wood, or maybe entirely out of wood except the long part and make it out of a metal pole, to give more weight to it for realistic purposes.

I have some In Progress pictures of the Keyblade that was sold on eBay before Christmas. If someone can look at these pictures and decipher how the part around the handle and the long part with the blade on it was made, it would be very very helpful!

^_^ Thanks!

Spooky Brew
03-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Talk to Kusanagi, he made a very nice keyblade! ^^

Katzu
03-06-2003, 07:19 PM
I think I did send him an email talking about a Keyblade, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. I should probably go hunt him down in the boards. xP

Spooky Brew
03-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Give it time! ^^
His 'puter is having problem right now, and he doesn't always check E-mail and/or PMs right away. He'll answer you though!! Which reminds me.......
*goes to find him*
I know where he lives!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!!

Katzu
03-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Hehe, a'righty. XD

Katzu
03-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Anybody! ;-; Pleeease. This stupid thing is just boggling my mind. I can't figure out if it's like, 4 pieces, or just 1, and he carved it out and sanded it or something. =\

KaitouKurogo
03-08-2003, 05:09 AM
Mah. **Blinkity**

Hey, it looks like the same design I used on my keyblade...creepy. Well, great minds think alike...that, or unoriginal minds. Whichever comes first.

Looks to me that the total amount of wooden peices equals six, count 'em six, seperate peices. There's the main shaft, which is the long doweling pole. Attached to that with what looks to be wood glue is the key peice. The hand-guard is carved out in the proper design, though in halfs. Glued between these two guard halfs are a pair of what looks to be molding tubes for the shaft to fit into.

Besides that, there's the keychain, mickey head, and attachment brace. Pretty simple design, but very effective. Mine's along the same lines, but quite different in some aspects.

At the keypeice on mine, I carved a t-shaped groove into the shaft and a t-shaped extension on the bottom of the keypeice. That locks the two peices together along with glue for a sturdier hold, though it will still snap if it takes a hard shot from the side.

My handguard, however, is made essentially in the same manner. I'm using very small screws to brace the shaft into the circle moldings, but I have to be careful lest I split the wood. You may also want to note that at the base of the shaft, right where it meets the top of the handguard, there is a section that is supposed to be slightly thinner than the rest of the shaft. A lathe will get the trick done in moments, though a good file and sandpaper will work if hardwear is not available.

Katzu
03-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Wow, thanks! That really helps me. I'm going to be putting one together this summer,( because my mom wouldn't have it until school was out e_e ), and I was kinda clueless on what to do.

Thank you so much!

KaitouKurogo
03-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Mah.

Don't mention it, it's what I'm here for. I'll be posting a tutorial for making a Kingdom Keyblade once I get my in-the-making photos processed and scanned. ^_^ I'll be sure to drop a few ads for it on the boards, so be on the look out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Katzu
03-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Okies, I got a question. x\ What would be the best thing to use to glue all those handle pieces and the blade together? Something that won't fall apart with one use. (no, I'm not actually going to be fighting with it.. I may bap a few people over the head with it, but that's it. ^_^) Would wood glue by itself be enough? Or do I need something stronger?

KaitouKurogo
03-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Mah.

Wood glue is pretty good, but if you want something more durable, you should use a more powerful adhesive. Superglue is good, but there are better types. A good industrial glue or rubber cement would work, but I'd only suggest that if the glue is not going to be on a readily visible section. If it's going to be used on a spot that could use screws, try those instead.

Katzu
03-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Hmm, I think I might use both wood glue and superglue. >_O Whoo! And I get to start making it this weekend! Guilt-tripping works, kids. ;x Muahaha. I'm also found this cool spraypaint that has actual flecks of metal in it! This is gonna be so awesome. x3

KaitouKurogo
03-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Mah.

Good luck with your keyblade. ^_^ Personally, I use Dutch Boy metallic-toned paint that I got from Home Depot paired with a gloss polish for a little shine.

Katzu
03-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Glued between these two guard halfs are a pair of what looks to be molding tubes for the shaft to fit into.

Molding tubes, eh? I have no idea what those are, but are they made of wood? Because that's what it looks like..

Where can I find molding tubes that look like that? I've already been to Lowe's Home Improvement, and they didn't have anything that would work. x_x; Pleeease help.

K-san
04-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Katzu,
Yo! I like the Keyblade! It's cool! Yay! Monkeys! :bouncer: Dur. Me stoopid todai. O.o;; Heheh, thanks for doin's mah emailz. o.o Moo! Heh, I'll have to work on my profile soon. ^.^ I am bouncing off the walls like a f***ing ball!:D
*K-san

DivineHype
08-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Hey! ^_^ I'm making a Sora costume, but what's really boggling me is the Keyblade. I'm making the Kingdom Key. I'm planning to make it completely out of wood, or maybe entirely out of wood except the long part and make it out of a metal pole, to give more weight to it for realistic purposes.

I have some In Progress pictures of the Keyblade that was sold on eBay before Christmas. If someone can look at these pictures and decipher how the part around the handle and the long part with the blade on it was made, it would be very very helpful!

^_^ Thanks!

Hey there, I saw the pic you posted from ebay, my friend Aaron made that keyblade (he also makes an ass kicking gunblade...) but i know for a factt hat he actually hand-carved the round part that slides over the wooden pole. You can't really buy anything in that shape, so he had to make it. He sold that for a comission of about $300... i think...