PDA

View Full Version : The Diva: from the fifth element

Setsuna22
03-06-2003, 07:53 PM
I Love this movie with a mad passion, and even more than the movie, I love the Diva. Everything about her is great, her song, her outfit, and her blueness^^ Anyways..... I am contemplating making her costume, but I'm afraid it will be a b*tch to make! Does Anyone have any Idea what the main material for the outfit is? And how can I go about creating the tentacles?

Sarcasm-hime
03-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Well in the movie it looks like rubber, but it would have been custom-formed. You might want to try using spandex...if you could find rubber that colour it might work, but I don't know if it's possible to sew rubber (maybe you have to glue it?). The tentacles would have to be long tapered tubes stuffed with something.

videogirlc
03-07-2003, 03:52 AM
That would be a cool costume. You have a picture of her? Haven't seen the movie in like forever. I do remember her though thought she was the coolest loking character in the movie.

Babbit_Chan
03-07-2003, 09:54 AM
I haven't any idea of how you could do this costume, but if you came through, it'll be an awesome costume, Setsuna!!

Setsuna22
03-07-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm Thinking I might have to ask for proffesional help on this one! I definitely feel a commision coming on, although, I do think it would be fun to make this costume myself! Spandex sounds like a plan to me though^^ Also, how can I get the makeup to blend into the spandex/rubber/whatever I use?

Setsuna22
03-07-2003, 02:30 PM
BTW here is a pic for NEone who hasn't a clue who the diva is. The full body pic was too big ><

Kaitou
03-08-2003, 07:20 AM
As long as you don't lip-synch as bad as the girl in the movie did, go ahead. ^^;;;

If you are wondering what the piece is, its the first two and a half minutes of the twenty-minute Mad Scene from Lucia di Lammermoor. and she lipsynched it badly, partially because the woman onstage wasn't the singer at all.

Setsuna22
03-08-2003, 09:40 AM
I know!!!! Maiwen LeBesco, I think, Is her name! She was the directors sweetheart at the time, and yes, her lipsynching was pretty bad^^ The voice of the other woman was beautiful though!!! And I never knew that that was where the sng was from! And I thought I knew everything about the Diva. Thanks Kaitou. did you know that her name "Plavalaguna" comes from the Croatian words for Blue Lagoon? cool, ne?

Kaitou
03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
I only realized when I began learning the role of Lucia myself. And no, I didn't know that about her name! How nifty! And actually, if she was the director's sweetheart, then he was cheating on leeloo, because Milla Jovovich was married to the director at the time. ^_^

Ayaka
03-08-2003, 07:22 PM
I have one thought, not sure if either will help. While wandering the net, I came across someone who'd done a superhero costume of some sort by layering fetish paint-on rubber/PVC whatever the heck that stuff is over a spandex body suit (they had someone do it while it was on). They said that it worked very well, didn't crack at all. Sadly I don't still have the site. ><; I don't, however, know if that stuff comes in a pale blue, and it wouldn't have the same sheen that her outfit does.

Personally, I think I'd do it as multiple layers of spandex, since you can get semi-metallic-y sleek looking spandex. If it's two layers, it won't be as flexible and might give you the look you're going for. I can give you the link to a site that makes custom unitards which says they can do double-layer garments; I'd rather not post it here because it's kind of for fetishists. ^^;;; (Post here or PM me if you want it.)

As for matching the makeup, I believe Ben Nye makes some that you can mix to get a custom color. I'm probably going to be doing just that, so I'll tell you how it goes.

Chibi-Lisa
03-09-2003, 08:18 AM
*_* Wow, everyone loves the Fifth Element. This is awesume. Um, when did yah say you were gonna wear your Diva costume?! I must see pictures.... ::Crawls on ground::

Setsuna22
03-09-2003, 05:51 PM
I'll probably do it to Ohayocon, or Sugoicon next year. I've started to plan it, but I'm at a standstill, and there are a lot of other costumes I'm in the process of making. I just wanted to get a headstart on this one^^

Carmila
03-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Kaitou
I only realized when I began learning the role of Lucia myself. And no, I didn't know that about her name! How nifty! And actually, if she was the director's sweetheart, then he was cheating on leeloo, because Milla Jovovich was married to the director at the time. ^_^

Actually, they had been divorced for almost 2 years when they made this movie together.

After doing some searching, the costume was made out of a laytex/polimer/neoprine compound that Gautier had used for his "mermaids" (another one of his grand ideas. From there it was poured over a mold that was taken of the actress, and to make matters worse, the whole thing was nothing but one big (excuse my french) body condom for the actress.

Yes, she was pretty bad when it came to the lipsyncing - because the song was actually sung by a woman who was under contract to the Atlanta Opera Company (she came to my HS at the time and spoke about it.) Part of the reason she didn't play herself was because she was in a preformance when they wanted her to play the part. The AOC wouldn't let her out of her contract to do it, however, they would let her record the track.

Setsuna22
03-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Wow! I think a full body mold would be really expensive, and, well..... Completely unrealistic^^ Thanks for the info though. I think I'll try out rubber and/or spandex. I think spandex would get the best shine, but rubber would be more lifelike, sortof. I guess it's all a matter of what's easiest to sew and find! I'll give it a shot. The only other problem is the headpiece. For the real Diva, it was a giant ballon that they filled with air when it was on her head. This is another thing I cannot do, so what do you suggest? I could stuff it, but I don't want it to look lumpy, and I don't want it to be stiff either, so no carboard or Anything.

Manda
03-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Actually, I started on a Diva costume today ^^;; Plan on wearing it to SDCC. If you have any questions, feel free to AIM me, and I'll be happy to help you with any problems you encounter.

Chibi-Lisa
03-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Grr, Soo.....far...away... v_v

Setsuna22
03-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Hehehe! I know, I know! But it will be a really cool costume! I'm going to start the pattern soon, and I can't wait till it's complete! It will be a really fun costume^^

Ragresen
03-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Ok From the looks of things. She is wearing a lycra based body suit as the prime component. The tenticals could be most anything, but almost all of it is covered in a light blue liquid latex. If you just do a web search on liquid latex you willeasily find it out there. As to her face anbd hands they are done in theatorical makeup that drys on so it does not smear when you touch other things. Because you will be in a latex covered body suit be careful how long you spend in it and drink a lot. The latex will not allow your skin to breath and that leaves only your head and hands to allow the body to cool off. Over all I wish you luck and do look forward to seeing a picture of this when you finish it. I do suggest useing cold foam possibly to form the tenticals.

Ragresen

A J
03-12-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm no expert but I'm working on a bodysuit and I ended up going with stretch vinyl (after buying the latex... bleh) because it's SO much easier to work with than latex. I suspect latex would look more accurate but you might want to take a look into (research online) what goes into making latex clothing and the upkeep of it.

Latex is wicked fragile all things considered and a small tear, even from a needle can cause it to rip completely and you need to keep it conditioned and be very careful putting it on. Just some stuff to keep in mind.

-AJ

Setsuna22
03-12-2003, 02:12 PM
You're definitely right. Latex is very hard to work with. I've tried using it once and it's a pain! Vinyl sounds good for a body suit. There would still be some shine. Isn't it hard to move in vinyl though? I might end up seeing how spandex works first. The only other part I might have trouble with is the bottom. I don't have a small enough picture, but if you've seen it, it flares out and is sort of wavy. It changes color too, but thats not a problems. BTW, thanks for all the great tips^^

Manda
03-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Ragresen is right. That's exactly how I'm making mine. In the movie, Diva has holes cut out under her arms to allow for ventilation. I know I won't be doing a lot of moving around whilst in the costume, and I'm always gonna have someone with me to make sure no one steps on the costume, and I don't faint @.@

Satine
03-17-2003, 06:10 AM
Interesting... I'm coming up with two names for the recording:
Emma Shaplin and Inva Mula.. but it's supposed to be Inva someone mentioned being confused;)

I first heard Maria Callas sing the mad scene.. wow.. she was vocally in her prime and just heartbreaking. Now that is one hell of a role. Very vocally demanding. And the problem is how to convey emotion and charcter with all those runs and vocal acrobatics.

I know people have made heavy tentacles for Twilek costumes. You might follow thir intructions, modifying them for the thinner nature of the Diva's... I know there is at least one thread at the costume boards at theforce.net

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8960834&start=10602662

yayahan
03-17-2003, 04:41 PM
I believe they either used latex or foam rubber, or a combination of both...

Kellie
03-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Just a random thought:

I thought Sarah Brightman was the singer who did the singing? ^_^ I'm just wondering because the voice sounds very much like her.

Satine
03-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Yeah, that's why I believed ... a file... when it said Emma Shapplin was the singer;) Because she sounds like SB. But nope, apparently it's Inva:)