PDA

View Full Version : making a long Sephiroth-style sword? (and scabbard?)

soshi
03-06-2003, 10:04 PM
OK, I've finally decided to remake my Yasha (RG Veda) costume, and so need to make his sword. BUT since I doubt many people know who that is, I'll just say it's a lot like Sephiroth's. ^^; Relatively thin sword that's got a bit of a curve to it, and is extremely long.

I have no idea what to do. x_x; I thought about using sheet metal for the blade, but had all these visions of it wobbling around due to the length. I suppose wood would be a good choice, but I'm clueless about what kind, where to buy it, and how to construct it.

Also, it's got a scabbard/sheath, and I am utterly devoid of ideas on that. x_x;

I don't really want to commission it ~ I'd rather make it myself, but am out of ideas on how. =/ Any sort of help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Spooky Brew
03-06-2003, 10:39 PM
For the sheath, what I've heard is you can take a long piece of fabric and use fabric stiffner so that way you can have your own custom sheath. I hope that made sense!

For the sword, wood might be the best choice

What I'm doing is I just made a armor piece just by using some newspaper, artists mesh wire, and rigid wrap!

What you could do it make your sword with cardboard taped together then use the wire to give it more of a rounded out 3-d shape and cover the hell out of it with rigid wrap!
It doesn't take to long to dry, you can put on multiple layers, it can be sanded and painted on with no problems!

It's been working very well with my Lina armor, so there's a option!

Sarcasm-hime
03-06-2003, 11:49 PM
There's a great thread on sword-making here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7497

I also have a short sword tutorial at http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/makingswords.html

MonoyashaJLA
03-07-2003, 05:30 PM
I would suggest purchasing insulation foam from a hardware store to carve out the swords shape, then use Fiberglass Apoxy Resin, like 3 layers each side to stiffen the blade. You can also sand the sword for more shape/smoothness after the apoxy dries or create a pointed edge on the sword. All together the sword will be light weight and sturdy. The method worked great on my huge Tetsusagia and sharp Gunblade :)