PDA

View Full Version : I've got a lot of money to blow on film... What brand?

Faux
07-13-2006, 12:13 AM
I find myself with some extra cash, so I reckon I'm gonna by myself a big bulk of color film, mostly 400 speed. What brand do you guys prefer?

EJ Shin
07-13-2006, 04:53 AM
I'm a big Kodak fan. It's funny, because for motion picture, I prefer the look of Fuji. If you're looking for a good all-purpose film, Kodak's Royal Gold, now called HD, is pretty nice. It has good contrast, relatively small grain for 400 speed film, and vibrant colors. If you want more of a low saturated look, the Portra series are pretty good, though you shouldn't use Portra film for anything other than portraits. I've used Fuji Superia film in the past, and it gave me alright pictures, but for me, it was neither here nor there.

My favorite film of all time is Kodak's T-Max 100. It's black and white film, but it gives a certain character to pictures that is unattainable with color.

jtnishi
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I take it you're not short on fridge space too, huh? :-D

I'll vote Fuji over Kodak, against EJ Shin, because I prefer their color emulsions over Kodak's, though normally when I've been in the habit of shooting film for cosplay pictures, I drop down to 100 speed and just shoot in the daylight. Since I prefer color for cosplay pictures, color emulsions matter for me. I actually like the Superia Reala print film, since I'm not really good enough to work with slide film.

staereo
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Im going to assume we're talking print film, not slide film, eh?

If youre going color, I say Fujichrome Provia for your 400. If youre getting any lower speed film, I <3 Velvia.

Im with Jason on fuji. Course, being that I went canon for digital, as did Jason, this doesnt surprise me.

If youre asking b&w film, thats a horse of a different breed. Not such an easy choice to me.

Bruce

EJ Shin
07-13-2006, 03:43 PM
If you're going Fuji, I've heard good things about their NPS film for portrait photography. I'm probably going to test a roll out myself in the coming week or so.

Slide film really shouldn't be used unless you absolutely, positively trust your in-camera meter, have an incident meter, or bracket your shots. Slide film is not nearly as forgiving as negative, but the grain is much smaller. In controlled situations, slide is the way to go.

Uthardar
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
I use My Canon PowerShot: it's a digital cam^_^

Trelyon
07-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Fuji Superia Reala... not as vivid... but good for portraits... nice outdoor... awesome for cosplay... in my humble opinion.

or... yes... Kodak HD... aka Royal Gold... good color seperation...

if you want want to scan the film... best use... chromes as stated above.

hmm... black & white... Fuji... Ilford... Agfa... Kodak... all good depending what you're shooting...

if you have the $$$... buy one of each... then play with them all in the darkroom... then you'll go with Fuji ::evil grins::

staereo
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
if you have the $$$... buy one of each... then play with them all in the darkroom... then you'll go with Fuji ::evil grins::

The truth, he does speak. :bigtu:

AgentSakur9
07-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I prefer SanDisk nowadays

Ami Yuy
07-14-2006, 01:49 AM
I prefer SanDisk nowadays

Heh, read my mind. :P

staereo
07-14-2006, 03:41 AM
LOL... sandisk...

See I always likened film to my image sensor, rather than my flash card. But you can totally make a case as to why that is considered film as well. (Being it holds your captures.)

Kind of makes you wonder whats next.

Bruce

EJ Shin
07-14-2006, 05:56 AM
See I always likened film to my image sensor, rather than my flash card. But you can totally make a case as to why that is considered film as well. (Being it holds your captures.)

Kind of makes you wonder whats next.

Bruce

Occular implants man. You get a chip in your eye, then it records the images to your brain. It's like.... HUH! using your eyes to capture and remember images!