PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cosplayers weight problems?

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Hi im cosplaying as sailor mercury this year and id like to ask does anyone know how much Sailor Mercury weighs? Ive been working out hard since May to get my weight down and i lost nine pounds. I am 105 pounds. I am Ami chan's height 5 foot two and i was looking at Biographies of her online but none say how much she weighs and id like to know.

Does anyone know off hand?

P.S. testing my siggy

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:10 AM
If i dont answer soon i apologize im watching yu yu hakusho at 1 am

Meng Xiaojie
07-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Doll, it really doesn't matter how much the character weighs. Cosplayers come in all shapes and sizes; we cosplay whomever we damn well please, whether our body types "match" our characters or not. :)

It sounds to me like you're already a good weight for your height--and if you've been working out, then you're definitely on your way to a healthier lifestyle. Go you! :bigtu:

Just, for pity's sake, don't try to slim down a healthy body just for the sake of a cosplay (especially since we all know how "realistic" anime girls' proportions are--bleagh)! That sort of obsessive attention to ridiculous details gets people into trouble, and I'd hate to see you go down that road, okay?

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Haha I know. But I thought it would be cool to be close.

KANEDA
07-14-2006, 01:31 AM
5'2" and 105 seems pretty good.
could maybe go a bit lower though for the character. BUT you're probably totally fine right now.
I admire the dedication to the part.
Too many people play by anything-goes rules with cosplay and the overall image of cosplay feels tainted for me.
I mean I know hairy fat dudes that cosplay little girl characters.
and they're not doing it in a funny way for laughs. wtf?! hahah

I'm not saying do what I do.. but just for the record;
when I have a con coming up I usually drop about 10 - 15 pounds in the 2 weeks leading up to it.
so yeah I go 10 to 15 pounds underweight.
looks alot better in pics.
and I like to know I can do it if I have to.

Karisu-sama
07-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Character "weight" stats are made-up estimates. As an actual human, you won't be able to match the exact proportions of an anime drawing anyway, regardless of weight.

I cosplay as some characters whose alleged height matches mine and whose alleged weight is supposedly higher than mine, yet they are drawn skinnier than real live human people (but because they are placed in an anime world of equally skinny-drawn people, they don't look out of place there.)

Meng Xiaojie
07-14-2006, 01:36 AM
when I have a con coming up I usually drop about 10 - 15 pounds in the 2 weeks leading up to it.
so yeah I go 10 to 15 pounds underweight.
looks alot better in pics.

Yes, let's encourage people to indulge in unhealthy--and, for some, dangerous--habits for the sake of a hobby. *shakes head*

Character "weight" stats are made-up estimates. As an actual human, you won't be able to match the exact proportions of an anime drawing anyway, regardless of weight.

Good call, Karisu-sama!

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Most manga-kas character profiles are a little ridiculously detailed. Like blood type and stuff but it usually includes weights.

In Princess Nine for example the half way point in the episodes have the profile and show the showing character's height weight hobbies etc.

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:42 AM
dont worry Meng! After Otakon i plan on letting myslef go with cake and ice cream just like any healthy (minded) 14 year old. :angel2:

KANEDA
07-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Yes, let's encourage people to indulge in unhealthy--and, for some, dangerous--habits for the sake of a hobby. *shakes head*

Good call, Karisu-sama!

no see, whats un-healthy is to not be able to work out hard and eat less.
the human body is the toughest thing on earth. but everyone pampers themselves so much they're all cookiedough.

*shakes fist*

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah actually because of Otakon... It motivated me to the best shape of my life. But i could never lose 15 pounds in a year let alone two weeks! At least i dont think i never tried.

KANEDA
07-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Yeah actually because of Otakon... It motivated me to the best shape of my life. But i could never lose 15 pounds in a year let alone two weeks! At least i dont think i never tried.

well it won't work.. or be all that easy.. or good for everyone.
I can handle it. some cant. it depends on how strong your constitution and adaptability are.

but for your character. you seem fine. ^_^

sidenote: I love how I basically run a disclaimer about something I as an individual do. and get blamed for encoraging others. hahah
crazy world.

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Well i have another problem I have the outfit pratically done... But the boots for sailor mercury... I have no idea where to get or start. Does anyone have any suggestions? With material and what not. I dont think i could just BUY one in a show store since the shape at the top of the boot is unusual... What should i do?

Meng Xiaojie
07-14-2006, 01:58 AM
no see, whats un-healthy is to not be able to work out hard and eat less.
the human body is the toughest thing on earth. but everyone pampers themselves so much they're all cookiedough.

Oh, I agree that people today are much less hardy than our ancestors--in some ways, that's a good thing, because it means that we haven't had to scrimp and scrape for our very survival. On the other hand, too much "easy living" has resulted in an apathetic, unhealthy society--VERY bad. :(

However, dropping an excessive amount of weight for the sake of a cosplay is an unwise habit to adopt, especially for a young girl who's still in the process of growing and figuring out how to like herself as she is.

And mentioning how much "better" photographs look when the photographees are underweight can only feed an ugly, destructive mindset.

Just please, think about who's reading your post and the effect your words will have.

(Not talking about you specifically, PeacetoKoorimes, just in general.)

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Oh, I agree that people today are much less hardy than our ancestors--in some ways, that's a good thing, because it means that we haven't had to scrimp and scrape for our very survival. On the other hand, too much "easy living" has resulted in an apathetic, unhealthy society--VERY bad. :(

However, dropping an excessive amount of weight for the sake of a cosplay is an unwise habit to adopt, especially for a young girl who's still in the process of growing and figuring out how to like herself as she is.

And mentioning how much "better" photographs look when the photographees are underweight can only feed an ugly, destructive mindset.

Just please, think about who's reading your post and the effect your words will have.

(Not talking about you specifically, PeacetoKoorimes, just in general.)

Oh no offense taken. Plus its hard to resist ice cream any longer I dont think i will get much under my previous weight. But i did feel obligated to lose a little for this year.

Meng Xiaojie
07-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Oh no offense taken. Plus its hard to resist ice cream any longer I dont think i will get much under my previous weight. But i did feel obligated to lose a little for this year.

That's fine, love. I've just seen a lot of girls make themselves sick trying to get way too skinny, way too fast, and so I tend to go all uber-super-cautionary when the topic comes up. :)

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Nice to find someone who cares though ^_^

stee van
07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
anyway we can't really just force a person to slimdown :( .
is entirly their decision to make .

but reality actually made them decide to slimdown . the ultimate answer to such decision , they fear of having chronic diseases and complicated health problems in the future .

my tutor told me about it and adviced me some tips on dieting , explained to me the meaning and the ways of resistance and interval training . so i CUT JUNK FOOD AND SOFT DRINKS , started my schedule , having balanced and non-greasy 5 small meals a day and work all my body out everyday in initial .

now , my workouts are well scheduled , no longer a crazy guy training everyday . now i'm on maintainance :p
and wa~la ... i'm ready for Sol badguy or kenshiro cosplay ~!SOON. or perhaps cospara as well haha~! :D

That's fine, love. I've just seen a lot of girls make themselves sick trying to get way too skinny, way too fast, and so I tend to go all uber-super-cautionary when the topic comes up. :)

tsk tsk ~ sigh that is seriously bad .

EverEvolvingGrl
07-14-2006, 03:20 AM
oh hey I wanted to point out that they list anime characters blood type because in japan its used as a zodiac type deal.... I'm an O+ which means I'm outgoing!
Sorry resume the convo.... I think any girl who is old enough to cosplay and 105 pounds is good enough, I personally believe that you are a bit too close to being too thin, I mean if you loose any more wieght..... I don't even remember how young i was when I was 105 pounds..... Ummmm i've got this handy vegetarian living book which says for your height you should only be between 104-137 lb so, you can only loose one pound!!!!! you hear!?!?!? ^_^ Good luck with your cosplay btw!

ChaosButterfly
07-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Actually, I would venture to say that at 105 you'd be more than skinny enough. Ami is 5'2, whereas Usagi is 4'11" and 110 lbs. Comparatively, 110 is actually even smaller than you should be, seeing as she's taller than Usagi.

hoshi-p
07-14-2006, 03:36 AM
All I have to say is, PeacetoKoorimes, your current weight is perfect for you, regardless of what character you're doing. Just stay active and start developing healthy eating habits, and you shouldn't have to worry for a long while about your weight. :)

Karisu-sama
07-14-2006, 04:00 AM
but everyone pampers themselves so much they're all cookiedough. *shakes fist*
...See you in my dojo, little boy. XD lol

Cikgu101
07-14-2006, 06:34 AM
I usually cosplay heavily armoured characters ... so weight might be a problem here...that's the weight of my costume that is :rockon:

TiyenaKayla
07-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Lossing weight is fine upto a point. You should not loose anymore thou. When you become absessive with your weight that's when problems start. I was your age my mine started now I'm 21 and I have to go to diatry clinics, I force myself to eat because of the damage I've done. I almost had a miscarrage with my baby because I couldn't eat. well Couldn't keep food down. Your body is still developing so go ahead and eat icecream it's not going to hurt you, infact at your age you need all the nutrician you can get. Please don't end up like me and have some serius eating disaplitles because you want to be thin now. Food is your friend not the enimy.

HelenaInvictus
07-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Anime characters don't have internal organs. Their biosystems are supported by sugar and breasts.

Tifa_Lock
07-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Remember this is just a hobby, don't get too thin only for your cosplay's sake ._.'

Anyway, I just want to ask something. I'm a little overweight, and las year I went to a gym, but it doesn't really helped, 'cause I eat for lunch what my mother cooks, and her food doen't help at all. So, I just control my breakfast and dinner. For dinner, I usually eat salad. For breakfast, I always have cereals and milk. Someone can advise me about what to eat for breakfast and dinner healthy enough for losing a little weight? >_< I wanna lose weight for my cosplays, but for my health as well. I ask this here because I'm sure someone had the same problem as I have ~_~

Thx!

TiyenaKayla
07-14-2006, 10:09 AM
You would be surprised what walking can do to your body. But as for your eating habits have atleast 3 of the food groups each meal and just have smaller servings, you don't have to go out and get a gym membership unless you know how to use all the machines and how to work out properly. Never skip meals it doesn't help. and don't expect to see results right away it takes time. But if you take any advice from me don't skip meals please that's the start to a very bad habit and alot of health issues.

Meng Xiaojie
07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Anime characters don't have internal organs. Their biosystems are supported by sugar and breasts.

*sporfles* Best. Quote. Ever. XD

stee van
07-14-2006, 11:45 AM
i worked out and lost weight .

after high school graduation ...

why not do some cosplay ?

then i get more motivation to work harder :p

buddharoxor
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Losing weight takes time. Its easy to lose a lot of weight quickly, especially if you're heavy to begin with. If you're already eating three meals a day, I'd suggest you look into portion size and, most importantly, your intake outside of these meals. I'm a story to this myself:

I started out at 5'10", 17 years old, weighing 315-320 pounds, depending on the day. I used to be nicknamed buddha, hence my name. I made a pretty good chouji, but thats it. This was in January, mainly for Ohayocon, 2006.

So I decided to change.

Its July, I'm about to leave for Ikasucon here in Cincinnati, weighing 260.5 pounds, fit and trim and very muscular (think Jet Black's build as of now). And, while I may have lost my 'buddha' nickname, I make an even better looking chouji, and I've been able to add a Jet Black costume into my closet.

Yanno who I've got planned for Ohayocon 2007? FMA's Armstrong, all the way. :)

All I did was cut out soda and headed to the gym three days a week. Losing weight is easy. Losing weight permanently, healthily, takes time. Its more about changing your lifestyle, (walking more, head for the gym, etc) than what you eat at meals. Give it time, and it'll happen.

Arlette
07-14-2006, 12:23 PM
OK, this subject comes up so much that I am going to share a story that I would normally never tell to a bunch of strangers.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a problem seeing myself the way other people do. Back in 2002 I put on a bunch of weight for the first time since graduating high school in 1999. Back then, having to take gym kept me in shape, and for those three years out of school I was still a steady 98 lbs. Let me just add that I'm very petite all around (no giant boobs adding to my weight, if you get my meaning) and I stand at a whopping 5'0" tall.

So anyway, in 2002 it got so bad that I felt I was tipping the scales at 107 lbs. I felt fat, ugly, and horrible. My life situation at that time didn't help either. But what ended up happening is that I developed the opposite problem of anorexia. Rather than not eating to lose weight, I felt so depressed that I ate MORE bad food. We're talking Taco Bell every day for lunch, and a quarter pounder with cheese from McDonald's for dinner. And I'm not exaggerating. I have no idea how heavy I finally got.

But then, purely by accident, I discovered the trick to losing weight and being in shape. I moved to a big city.

You see, the suburbs are a terrible place to try and stay in shape. You drive everywhere, there are restaurants on every corner, and working an office job where you sit on your butt is like the final nail in the coffin. I made some life changes and moved to Philadelphia for 6 months, and got in the best shape I had been in since high school. We walked everywhere, there were hardly any fast food places around, and (this is specific to my situation) I simply didn't have the time or money to go out and eat, so most meals consisted of a sandwich or cereal on the go.

When I eventually came back home from living there, I realized how easy it is to be lazy in a bustling suburban area. When I look back on all the costumes I wore in 2003, I'm like "damn, I looked good!" Because you don't immediately go back to being a lazy bum, it takes some time. And here I am, three years later, and that time has come again. While I may not be a giant whale (which I see myself to be, though others tell me differently) I am not as fit as I was back then.

So now I'm trying DESPERATELY not to fall back into that trap. Admittedly, my body has naturally changed some, and this DOES happen. I've randomly gone up a whole cup size, although I'm also currently weighing in at 109 lbs. I'm currently trying to lose 9 lbs., though I don't know how logical that is. I'd like to be an even 100, though. The thing about cosplay is that I've felt good in ANY costume I've chosen to make in the past, and I don't want that feeling to change. You could say I'm not trying to measure up to a fictional character's weight FOR cosplay, but I refuse to let my body command what I will and will not cosplay as.

So it just takes effort. Walking to places instead of driving, having a PBJ instead of a cheeseburger, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.

Yunalicia
07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.geocities.com/lunararchivist/private.html

If you scroll about 3/4 the way down the page you will see an estimate chart done up for all major characters. It was done buy guess work but it has a very good explanations of why they think it's right.

For Ami the general guess is between 107-109lbs.

PeacetoKoorimes
07-14-2006, 08:54 PM
wow thanks! And sorry for your terrible struggle Arlette.

CreativeGuy
07-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I'll keep it simple.

Don't starve yourself to look like a anime character.

Rynn
07-14-2006, 09:55 PM

OMG you are AMAZING. XD

As for trying to look like a Sailor Moon character-don't bother. If anyone was built like that they would be in the circus. When it comes down to it, NO ONE is going to notice 105lbs from 110lbs. Cosplay is all about showing your talents an an artist and designer-you could be 90lbs but if your costume is bad, no one will care how much you weigh. It's all about the costume!

MissSCeleste
07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
well it won't work.. or be all that easy.. or good for everyone.
I can handle it. some cant. it depends on how strong your constitution and adaptability are.

but for your character. you seem fine. ^_^

sidenote: I love how I basically run a disclaimer about something I as an individual do. and get blamed for encoraging others. hahah
crazy world.

I don't agree with his personal philosophy but he's right... about the weight thing anyway. Some people will loose weight by just a simple matter of discipline and heavy workouts like he does. Especially guys! I just signed up to a gym today which includes a PT Trainer (who told me that guys and girls loose weight differently, and guys lose weight alot faster and that's just life) and got a brand new pair of roller blades so I can cosplay Azusa from Ranma 1/2 properly next year. I don't believe in losing weight to appease other peoples ideals. Societies aethestic standards can BITE ME HARD... but I can understand if you want to do it to create the illusion of the character existing in reality. I think there are certian characters that what makes them their character is what they do physically, like Azusa being a professional ice skater... Her body is literally PART of her costume/character so I feel the need to change mine to play her properly.. and it's just an excuse for continuing to try to get in better health these last few years.

I have a passion for Ice Skating and Roller Blading so this cosplay is the perfect motivation to get in shape to be the character... but yeah... Kurasami is pretty much right.. you can make a costume look really good and have alot of fun even without being the ideal weight. (That's what dancers tights are for) But really, You seem fine already for the character of Sailor Mercury.. her weight seems to flucuate in the cartoon and manga itself anyway.. she has kind of a rounder chubbier face in the first season and then she's all needle/super model thin by the end with Galatica and all them... but then at that point in the series they all are that thin. The proportions in most shoujo stories are waaayyyy unrealistic/exagerated. Anyway, point of all the rambling... It took me 2 years to drop from 18 to 12... It takes the guy above 2 weeks of "sucking it up" to get back in the shape he wants to get in to be comfortable wearing his costumes.

Everyone's gonna be a different case. Some of us are built genetically to be bigger, and some to be smaller. People are all shapes and sizes for a reason. Doesn't mean you cant change it up a bit, but don't get frustrated if you do your best and it doesn't turn out the way you want. You'll see results ALWAYS, just not always as much as you'd like. You should never set unrealistic goals when it comes to weight loss, the purpose of getting in shape is supposed to be for your health after all. If you do it to try to "look right" by other peoples judgement you could fall victim to eating disorders or depression.... and... all kinds of other nasty junk.

As for the original question, I totally have no idea what Sailor Mercury's weight is supposed to be. I dont think they ever give it. I've seen her blood type being given out but yeah.. I think 105 at your height sounds perfectly healthy, personally... but if you wanna lose more that's your choice.. but please don't NOT cosplay Mercury just because you don't reach whatever goal you set. Just do your personal best and put on your costume afterwards with confindence knowing you worked hard to create the characters appearance. Anyone who shuns you afterwards is extremely shallow and (this may sound cliche but it's true) are NOT the kinda people you wanna be hanging around anyway. Shallow people = Drama Instant Oatmeal

Jerseymilk
07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
You're perfectly fine at 110 lbs, actually given your height at 5'2", you could even gain a little more weight. Though I've gained some weight recently(need to lose that), at my best shape I was 120 lbs and I'm shorter than you at 5'0". Now I'm quite shapely and have pretty good sized breasts so that affects it too. My point is though, at those numbers I looked just fine, some people even told me I shouldn't go any lower as it would be too thin for me. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry at all.

Another important factor that I find girls especially aren't aware of is that muscle weighs more than fat. I know of professional trainers that are in fantastic shape and are really toned and muscled, yet according to the BMI scale, which is inherently flawed since it only takes weight and height into account, they're "overweight" or even "obese". So just because you may weigh more than another girl at your same height, it may be because you have more muscle, not fat. From Mercury's build, I'd say she has about 1% muscle.:crylaugh: Please keep this in mind at any rate.

I agree with the others here about it being insane trying to be the exact same dimensions as anime characters. First of all, they're 2D, not 3D. Secondly, most of the time their proportions are physically impossible. I would say only a small, very small percentage of people on this planet could come close to anime character's build naturally. For the rest of the people on magazines, there's plastic surgery, airbrushing, working out like an athelete, or just plain starving themselves or throwing up to achieve those looks. Please don't fall into that trap, since it's not in any way realistic, hence unattainable. Just get out there and enjoy your hobby.

And to IWFHellsing: I think that's the truest statement ever!:bigtu:

Houdinimachine
07-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I think you'd have to be a midget to be worried about your weight at 110 pounds.

I mean, hobbits would be looking down on you going, "Man... you let yourself go."

DOWN on you. Not up.

Don't worry about weight. Do what you have to do to stay healthy. If you ARE medically diagnosed as overweight, then you have to do some work. That's when the hard work and sacrifice comes in. Not when you want to cosplay some chick with a frame so small her bones are probably hollow.

I don't mean to be harsh, but there's a difference between medically healthy and terminator boy over there. He might think he's tough because he thinks his body can handle going 15 pounds underweight, but the human body is plainly made to work better on excess nutrients not fewer. You start cannibalizing muscle mass when you stop eating what you need to. When you're eating too much, hey we gots ourselves some fat! It's called nature's precautionary measures.

On that note, I have to go run a mile because these thin as hell people wanting to lose weight makes me feel like I got thrown out of a buffet.

ChaosButterfly
07-17-2006, 05:11 AM
On that note, I have to go run a mile because these thin as hell people wanting to lose weight makes me feel like I got thrown out of a buffet.
You ain't the only one. >.>

Yumeko
07-17-2006, 06:23 AM
:lost: Why is it after reading this thread I suddenly feel like a huge blimp now:blubber:

HelenaInvictus
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Also, keep in mind that anime characters are nowhere near correct proportions for actual humans. Just take one look at the fact that eyes take up half an anime character's face and realize that if you saw someone like that in real life, they would be rather disturbing.

Likewise, if anime characters were real, the females would be so top heavy that the weight of their breasts would break their ribcage, stabbing fractured ribs through their heart and lungs.

Or at least, in my happy a-cup mind that's what would happen.

ronok
07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm 6'4" and I'm underweight.... I lose weight faster then i gain it even when eating more then most people.... If I get ill for a day I throw up any weight I have put on.... I'm litterally stuck at this weight... I also started running a mile every day a while back to boost my stamina (I haven't been able to play sports as much as I used to) at which point I put on weight for a bit for some reason... I thought it was meant to make you lose it but whatever I was happy. lol

Basically don't get caught up in losing weight too much cause one day your gunna want to put it on again....

Oh and the dude that loses 15 pounds in a week from starving himself etc.... That's really bad for you... You can get all kind of problems from doing that...... Some competetive fighters do this kind of thing to go up or down a weight class really quickly and can get bad problems.. It's especially with young people who are still developing such as the person in the original post.... If you want to put your body through this kind of thing then go ahead at your own risk, but, don't go around sharing your bad habits like they are tips that should be followed.

Malicious
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
what i don't understand is that i would lose 5 pounds, but gain it back just like that! i'm sick of this!! its happened to me 4 times already! man those 1st ten pounds ARE the hardest to lose!! >:/

ChaosButterfly
07-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Likewise, if anime characters were real, the females would be so top heavy that the weight of their breasts would break their ribcage, stabbing fractured ribs through their heart and lungs.

Or at least, in my happy a-cup mind that's what would happen.
Depends on the female. You have just as many small-busted females as you do large-busted ones. The large busted ones would likely have figures like Dolly Parton (if she had smaller hips), Mae West (In her smaller days), Marylin Monroe, Raquel Welch, Pam Anderson, or Jayne Mansfield.

Jerseymilk
07-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Depends on the female. You have just as many small-busted females as you do large-busted ones. The large busted ones would likely have figures like Dolly Parton (if she had smaller hips), Mae West (In her smaller days), Marylin Monroe, Raquel Welch, Pam Anderson, or Jayne Mansfield.

However, as I stated in my last post, that's a small percentage of the population. And all those women were/are like that naturally, so they just got it through genetics. Heck even without her implants now Anderson is still "well endowed". This is where the problem comes in though. Girls thinking they can attain something that is basically just "the luck of the draw" with genetics.

FeelLikeRain
07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Heh ... I'm 5'3" or so and around... 150, I think. >_> Last time I checked, anyway. But I'm [...slowly...] losing weight for my next cosplay. ^^;