PDA

View Full Version : Just a question on timing

WhiteStar Zero
07-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Ah, I'm not sure if this goes in the right category, but there's something which I'd dearly love to know and get advice from photographers on (I'm no photographer really).

What time of the day do you find it best to take outdoor shots and why? I'd really like to hear the views from some of the photographers here on what time they usually take photoshoot shots and why.

Feiyen
07-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Ah, I'm not sure if this goes in the right category, but there's something which I'd dearly love to know and get advice from photographers on (I'm no photographer really).

What time of the day do you find it best to take outdoor shots and why? I'd really like to hear the views from some of the photographers here on what time they usually take photoshoot shots and why.

I like to take photos at any other time of day except around noon. At noon, the sun is directly over head and that casts a lot of shadows around a person's face and body. On a person's face, the eye sockets appear deeper than they really are and if the camera is in full auto mode, the bright surroundings can play havoc with the light meter.

There are ways to compensate for it though:

1 - Use a reflector to fill in the shadows
2 - Set the camera to manual mode and take a center-weighted light meter reading off of the face.
3 - Use a fill flash

I personally like to take photos either in the morning or late afternoon or evening. The sun will be lower on the horizon and the light would be less harsh. You can also play with the composition of the shot, especially when you have a sunset or sunrise.

I also like to challenge myself with night portraiture. Taking night portraits are more difficult to setup because you need to set up a tripod, set the flash the right way, but the results are well worth the effort, IMO. :)

ZiggyB
07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I think the ideal time is either at sunrise or sunset. There's a beautiful glow as the sun is rising or setting. It does make things a bit yellow, but such a lovely yellow. For instance, this is one of my favorite pictures.

http://www.divideby0.com/photos/2005/PMX/pics/photoshoots/kosmos/IMG_2499.JPG

I took that picture right at sunset. The lighting was just lovely. The model wasn't so bad either. :>

But yah, I completely agree with Feiyen about high noon as well. At that point in cons I try to use a shadowed area or go inside.

Cicada
07-16-2006, 04:05 PM
as Ziggy said, during "golden hour" ;) when the sun casts a nice glow.

right now during DST, it's been around 7pm PST for me.

staereo
07-16-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not really a fan of any extremes in normal shooting. That is, if I am not directly aiming for a stylized coloring or lighting of my subject found in shooting during the extreme sunlit hours, then I think it's best to stay away from those extremes.

Typically, your best 'normal' shooting is when the sun is high enough to give a normal cast, and isnt too harsh but still gives contrast.

Midday is obviously bad in a number of ways, but we seem to get that all around.

Normal pictures aren't going to be satisfactory at the beginning of daylight/end of daylight either.

But, as Ziggy has shown, if you are GOING for a picture without white balance, such as the flattering tones that a sun on the horizon can give, then thats a stylistic option available to you.

So is midday, if you are going for a harsher lighted look.

I assume you meant prime time for normal photography... That would be after sunrise, before midday; and after midday, before sunset.

Bruce

Super No 1
07-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I like the mornings especially if it's overcast or cloudy. I rarely use flash on individual shots and the clouds act like a natural light diffuser. The lighting is even and you don't have to worry about shadows so much.

Shiro MS08th
07-17-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm on mornings and evening times.
Since noon time is usually harsh, and outdoor I always prefer natural lighting unless no choice.

WhiteStar Zero
07-17-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm on mornings and evening times.
Since noon time is usually harsh, and outdoor I always prefer natural lighting unless no choice.

I'd really like to specifically ask you (for some reasons), suppose a shoot, would you rather have it timed at 2+ or would you rather prefer say, a later time?

Jurai
07-17-2006, 07:19 AM
@ ALL

I agree with those postings before. It's good to have a choice on time.
There are some conventions, on which I photograph from the beginning to the end. Ofcourse, I can see that with my results.

In my opinion, the best light is in a clouded morning and afternoon. Anyway, I prefer sunlight ...

Greetz Jurai :skidude2:

Falkenhayn
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I would agree that mid-day light is the worst, unless you can find some shady area. However, I prefer to shoot in the late afternoon, when the sunlight is more golden and angled.