PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Yaoi-Con's Bishounen Auction

Karisu-sama
07-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Courtesy of one of our members here at Cosplay.com, here is the official 'Staff Response' as to the nature of the Yaoi-Con Auction:

"Yaoi-con's bishounen auction is the main fundraising event for the convention itself. The basics of how it's run start with the boys applying for the position, and from those applicants who meet our criteria, we pick the best of the bunch to participate. Once they're on stage, the boys get a few minutes to "sell themselves" to the audience with anything from skits to songs to dances that they prepared. Every year the boys are getting more creative. There's no nudity allowed in their performances, however, the boys are allowed to set their own limit anywhere from fully clothed to nothing but underwear.

Once the bishounen has been won, he's "On Duty" until the end of the dance that follows the auction. Please remember that a bishounen being "On Duty" does not mean the purchaser has free-license to do whatever they want. If anything is said or done that makes the bishounen uncomfortable, he's is free to leave immediately. We try very much to discourage inappropriate behavior because the boys volunteer to help us out, and if they have a bad experience they may not come back.

The money Yaoi-con gets from the auction is all cycled directly back into the convention so we can continue to keep putting on a fabulous show year after year. The more we grow, the more space we need. And the more success we have with the auction, the more we can afford to make sure we get everybody in there to enjoy the show.

If you have any questions, please direct them to Yaoi-con staff, and for more general information, please watch the Yaoi-con home page."

ferrin
08-10-2010, 07:24 AM
8D ...so. wait, what? they have an auction..? isn't that serious objectification of these guys, though?
...is this legal?

Hpm
08-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Well none of us who are "sold" are forced into it, we choose to do it and to perform/entertain.

And as you can see there's quite some rules to it and we can always say no :p

ferrin
08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
maybe i should do it. though, my fiance would probably kill me.

Eurobeat King
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
It is the main highlight of Yaoicon, and gets more attention than the Cosplay Contest/Masquerade that precedes it.

As someone who entered it the first year they had it in 2002, it has changed a lot since then but is still a lot of fun for those participating and for those who are spectating. :)

Cosplay4Lyfe
03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
So... Only boys can volunteer to do it? No females who are crossplaying? Cause this sounds FUN. And I am a female. *sulks*

Elf Lady
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
The auction is seriously FUN and quite entertaining. While I've attended Yaoi Con for several years, last year was the first time I stayed for the auction and I'm glad I did. What a hoot!