PDA

View Full Version : Pre-tied Butteryfly Obi - Need tutorial/help

Karrit
07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
I bought a lovely green pre-tied butterfly obi for my yukata. I want to wear it at a festival this Friday. I know how to wear the initial kimono, but not the obi.

It's the type with the bow pre-tied and has a hanger on the back. I understand you need to hook it onto the sash, but I'm not sure how. Would someone know how I can tie my obi and have it looking decent?

Chibi-kun
07-17-2006, 02:57 PM
My question is, does your obi have to be tied around you or does it come with a velcro as well that it just wraps around you and snaps closed with the velcro? Personally, if it doesnt, I would just go ahad and add the velcro on the obi so it wraps around you and you just have to pop your bow on in the back. Thats pretty much how we did our kimonos for AX.

Karrit
07-17-2006, 11:56 PM
There is no velcro. There are two white 'strings' attached to each end of the obi. I'm not sure if you tie them together or if they go through the bow. I imagine the hanger of the bow would not be visible when tied.

I have also seen in pictures of yukata sometimes appearing to be a fold or something around the bottom of the obi. I would imagine it is by raising the kimono so that the folds cover the himo (under belt). I have also seen some yukata without the fold so I would assume it is optional?

Sarcasm-hime
07-18-2006, 12:54 AM
The fold under the obi (if it's a fold in the kimono/yukata itself you're talking about) is there because women's kimono/yukata are meant to be as long as the wearer is tall, so the excess length is folded up at the waist. The fold should be neat and smooth and show below the obi. It was originally done because women's kimono were meant to drag elegantly on the floor when indoors, but when going outside they would tie the kimono up at the hip to keep it from getting dirty. Now, however, it's just tradition. AFAIK the fold (ohashori) should always be there, so if you see a woman wearing a kimono without the fold, it usually means the kimono is too short for her (unless it's long enough that she's purposely letting it drag on the floor).

To wear a pre-tied obi, you wrap the main part tightly and tie the strings in the back, then tuck them into the obi. Then you insert the hook of the bow section into the back of the obi, bringing the bow strings around to the front and tie them in front. Then tuck the strings into the obi so they don't show. :)

Eleryth
07-18-2006, 06:53 AM
If it's easier for you to do so, tie it in the front and then turn it around your body (always to the right, because turning to the left can ruin the lines).

If the sash has a pointed end, the pointed end goes on top. Try to get the end of the point to be in the middle of your back when you're done.

I personally like to tie the sash part with the white strings on top, but some people tie it on the bottom. But if it's the triangle type, the tip has to be toward the top, not on the bottom.

Karrit
07-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks! This'll help immensely. My yukata used to belong to my late grandma. My uncle bought if for her when he was stationed in Okinawa. I'm built just like her and I like Japanese things so I inherited it.

It's white with blue and green flowers, silver flowers, as well as Japanes bridges/buildings on it. It's really pretty and unique to many yukata's I've seen. It had a himo, but no obi. I chose a green pre-tied obi for it. I have a set of extra himo I ordered for it too. I don't have geta yet because I'm saving up and I haven't found a set I like quite yet. Til then I'm wearing a pair of flip-flops that have a similar floral design to go with it.

Eleryth
07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Sounds really unusual! I don't think I've seen a yukata with buildings on it before. Think you could share a few pictures? Sounds neat!

karinka Chick
07-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I have the same kind...I got mine in disney lols...just wrap the part of the obi around your waist tightly and tie it. then spin it around(so the strings are ehind you) and insert the metal part inbetween the two wraps of the obi and bring the strings around your waist and tie.

Karrit
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
I'll try to get some pictures. The festival I'm going ot is an art festival my town has every year. I wanted to wear my yukata to see what kinds of reactions I'd get from people. It's fitting in a way since it is summer and yukata are worn to festivals. ^_^

I plan to have a pair of geta (hope I can find size 8 1/2) before my next anime con. I may also get the little braided cord that goes around the obi and the pouch soon.

It may be a little off topic, but besides Grandma's yukata I also obtained one of the two Japanese teasets she owned and a Japanese jewelry box. They're a little old since my uncle was stationed in the Mid-70s, but they're in great condition. Grandma kept them put up. I'd like to use the teaset for a Japanese party sometime.

Karrit
07-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I pracrised tying my obi. It wasn't that hard at all. Thanks for the advice!