PDA

View Full Version : Miles Edgeworth's Cravat *-*

AmiJoyDonut
07-21-2006, 03:19 PM
FINALLY coaxed my boyfriend to pull off Miles Edgeworth while I crossplay Phoenix Wright ... we're digging through every single thrift store in both our hometowns for the suit and vest, but all in all we've got oooone problem ..

That frilly frilly oh so frilly cravat of sexiness. XD

Real cravats take AGES to tie properly (I'm only just getting the hang of tying my PINK [took me a month to find a place with solid color neckties] necktie.. god forbid I have to tie a cravat for the poor guy), so I figure we'll commission and bullpuckie ourselves one ..

Anyone know of any good commissioners that CAN do the cravat, or have done one before? :3

CapsuleCorp
07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
What kind of knot are you thinking of/needing for the cravat? Because I've done a cravat for my Wolfram costume (KKM) and it's a piece of cake. Especially since he has the special neck-chain to tack down the sides to his coat.

Pics would help. Some cravats are fancier than others, and some can be fudged by making a frilled piece attached to a simple fabric band to make a "clip on" cravat.

AmiJoyDonut
07-22-2006, 02:33 PM
This ooooone! :D

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/phoenixwright/edgeworth.png

OR, if that pic somehow doesn't work ..

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/courtrecords/Official%20Art/OA-Edgeworth.jpg

(God it's gonna be hard to find a suit that color without getting it tailored .. x.x)

CapsuleCorp
07-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Okay, so, basic cravat knot not the same because of the triple falls, eh?

Not sure how they achieved that look in reality, you'd have to ask a historical costumer, but that's the kind of cravat that's easily fudged. I even have a pattern for a women's version of that kind of cravat using lace, it's just three gathered frills sewn onto a band that ties behind the neck. That's the sort of thing you can do pretty simply so that the falls are stitched to the neckband in an overlapping manner that hides the stitching (the top one may need to be stitched inside so it appears to wrap and fall from inside the band). then just make it a thick neckband that velcros in back. Cheap fudge that gives you the same look with less pain, and is easy to take off when you're sick of it. :)

If you wanted something more period-accurate with instructions on how to tie it to make it do that, you'd have to ask a historical costumer. Of which I am not one. :)

Shine-Chan
07-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Any tips for the style Syaoran is sporting here?
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/Stella443/?action=view&current=Syaoranfullfront.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4

CapsuleCorp
07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
That's a real simple cravat, like the kind I have for Wolfram (a few good shots in my gallery). Is that a pin or a tie tack of some kind pinned in the middle of it? Even better.

My cravat is actually tied on, but in a super-simple way. I made it so that both ends are shaped like a widened arrow point, but the part that hangs out over the top is wider than the other end. It goes around my neck under the coat collar, ties in a simple single knot so that the bigger end comes out over the top, and then Wolfram's silver neck chain tacks down the sides. If there's a pin on Syoran's, then he'd use it to pin straight through both ends of the cravat and onto the jacket to keep it in place.

I didn't know how to do that before I started, so I asked a coworker who has done some period costuming for theatre, and she explained it to me. I couldn't believe it could possibly be that simple, but it is.