PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the perfect camera?

Lady Phoenix
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
This is to all of you photography experts. I don't know much at all about cameras, or photography. At the last convention I went to, I had my little $200 digital camera and I wasn't too pleased with it. It took so long to focus and prepare to take a picture that I missed many great photo opportunities. After getting the pictures on the computer, I was very disappointed to discover that a lot of them were really dark and didn't come out well at all. So for this next convention, I plan on having a really good camera. However, since I don't know much of anything about them, I'm needing some help.

*price range I'm willing to go for: $500 or less
*a quick load/focus time so I can take pictures quickly and with ease
*good quality pictures that come out well in any enviroment
*zoom feature
*uh...anything else you would reccomend that's good?

well...that's about it...I know I'm asking for quite a lot but if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate that. thankyou very much.

cuddles116
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm not that great with cameras but if you just want like a point and shoot I have a canon powershoot and it's pretty good. I want the new powershot sd700 IS though since it is suppose to help reduce blurring which I am known to do lol

Oklahoma
07-24-2006, 05:21 PM
*price range I'm willing to go for: $500 or less

This price range does give you lots of options on what you can get but it also gives you lots of options to look at and sort through, which can be daunting when you see how much is out there. But you can get a lot for under 500.

*a quick load/focus time so I can take pictures quickly and with ease

Unfortunatly many regular point and shoot cameras do have a few second load up time and a noticeable shutter lag on them. Focus time is negotiable as to what is fast and what is slow, but it still shouldn't take more than a couple seconds if that. I would recomend looking at some of the SLR like cameras out there. Both canon and sony make at least one: Sony DSC-H5 and the Canon Powershot S3. Many of these have faster load times and not as noticable shutter lag. Also, you can look at the lower end digital SLR's; you may be able to find a Nikon D50 for about $500 on sale or a used one. Just because they are the lower end ones they will still take better pictures than a point and shoot camera, there is a learning curve though on how to use them.

*good quality pictures that come out well in any enviroment

This is more learning how to use the camera and what works than the camera itself. The better the camera the more potential you have to get better shots. Once you find a camera you like learn how to use it and what different things do on the camera and how they will effect the overall picture.

*zoom feature

Pretty much all cameras have it but you will have to decide how much zoom you want. Cameras can have anywhere from 3x to 12x optical (only judge using optical zoom because digital zoom will degrade the picture) in the point and shoot and SLR like categories, SLR cameras can basically have any amount of zoom because you can change the lenses.

*uh...anything else you would reccomend that's good?

I would say go to a store that has a lot of different ones there that you can play around with and try different things out with each of them and start to figure out what you like and what you want in a camera. Also, you can talk to people in an actual camera store and they can tell you more about the camera than you could probably find out at say best buy or a store like that.

Hope this gets you started and others will add what I left out, which I know there is some.

You can also look at the top thread In need of new Digi-cam (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82941) for more information that has been already posted.

Eriol
07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Oklahoma offers good tips. If you go to this link, you'll find highly-rated cameras, so if you take the time to read some of them, you might find the camera of your liking.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Lady Phoenix
07-26-2006, 12:39 PM
alright, I think I have a few ideas. thankyou everyone for you help!

Demonsun
07-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Try Some of these Kodak Cameras
Kodak.com (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=131&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=1674)
I've found that they have very little focus time, and are great values, Mainly because of the high zoom factor, and I like How they do in comparison to my nikons, and the comparable canon's

Oncoming
07-27-2006, 02:46 AM
I'd give my suggestion as the Fuji F30. It's $400 and has the best low-light performance compared to most compacts. Dpreview.com of F30 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/) - Watch it tear up the Canon on page 12.

If course I'm biased because I love low-light photography for lan parties. Admittedly the F30 doesn't seem usable at iso 1600 or 3200, but the option is nice in emergencies to get the shot. Also the F30 seems to only have 'okay' outdoor performance so keep that in mind also.

TomodachiFriend
07-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Pentax offer some good cheap SLR's. I've seen the *istDL with mail-in rebate last week. But if the D50 can be had for 500 like Oklahoma said, you might want to consider it too.

Demonsun
07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
the *ist D are quite good, the name though is horrible.