PDA

View Full Version : SDCC 2006 Masquerade Aftermath

Mandy Mitchell
07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
What did you think of this year's San Diego Comic Con 2006 Masquerade? Personally, I felt that it was one of the most competitive Masquerades in years. There were dozens of excellent entries. I really enjoyed Dancing With Celebrities from the Stars, Nintendon'ts, Davy Jones, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Superman, and the Bounty Hunter skit. My friends and I did Harry Potter and the Hogwarts Hoedown. We worked really hard to pull off our skit and had a lot of fun on stage.

demifiend
07-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I thought the Masquerade this year was great. Your Harry Potter sketch was one of the funniest! The little Davy Jones stole the show, methinks, but everybody did an awesome job.

SCLNeptune
07-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Yes, I can honestly say as group leader of the Harry Potter skit that we worked very, very hard on it. If anyone has any pictures of us, or a video please please send it our way!

kelldar
07-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I was very impressed with all the costumes I saw (I was in the photo area)! There was some amazing work out there. I got around 600 pics from the photo area - i'm working on resizing them now. I know I got a lot of your HP group! I'll let you know when I get them up.

SCLNeptune
07-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Thank you very much Kell!!!

JainaMSolo
07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Elizabeth Swann from PDQ Pirates here, and I agree, this was an absolutely terrific Masquerade! Lots of great, great stuff. Teeny-tiny Davy Jones was just amazing-- such stage presence in one so young! (And what a trouper, to wear that costume all night!) And the Ninja Turtles! And the Nintendon'ts! Kang! The Cadbury Bunny guys! The HP people! Runaway Bounty! Dancing with Celebrities! Honestly, it was all just great. I had so, so much fun.

Kell, I can't wait to see your pictures! I didn't even know you were in the photoshoot area. :)

Caitlin

BladeCali
07-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Yeah it was great this year!
I Loved the Kingdom Hearts one! Haha!

Lyris
07-25-2006, 01:26 AM
The KH was one of my favorites. I had been needing a yaoi moment all day and that did it for me.

TheZan
07-25-2006, 01:50 AM
My favorite part was the rave afterwards! I was the Hollow Ichigo that danced like an insane raving machine. Yeah... I had a blast.

My favorite skit, though, was the Dynasty Warriors skit, with ObiWan. That kicked Tush.

Eurobeat King
07-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Having just seen the Nintendon'ts skit via YouTube, that was well-deserving of the "Most Humorous Award", and now I know how they used all those sound-clips, since the Neko Twins, Wayne, & Company were in my room most of the night, editting the sounds & songs over and over and over again.. haha :razz: But congrats to you guys and everyone else who won! :)

I took a lot of pics in the photo-area, and will get to those once I finish Friday & Saturday's (Day) Pictures, and (like AX) the masquerade pictures will get its own gallery to make it easy to find the pictures of just the contestants. ;)

Thanks for being patient and again, congratulations to all the winners!

-Epsilon-
07-25-2006, 02:58 AM
why nobody can reconize my costume T.T???
my audio track failed but it was very funny it is my first mascarade i liked alot

demifiend
07-25-2006, 03:08 AM
my audio track failed but it was very funny it is my first mascarade i liked alot

Hey, I liked your skit! It was a good first masquerade, and even better because it's Evangelion!

Eurobeat King
07-25-2006, 04:01 AM

i hope you like the pics I took of your EVA Unit when I post them :)

atomic99
07-25-2006, 04:16 AM
I'll have photos available soon as well. I think I shot about 2,000 photos for the Masquerade alone which will take me all week to prep. My photos tend to be portraits and I'll try to give priority to those I see asking here.

I was a little worried with only 46 entries in the Masquerade this year but it was more quality than quantity. There were many good, creative, funny, and well thoughtout presentations this year. Well done all!!!!!

SCLNeptune
07-25-2006, 04:17 AM
I was kind of glad there werent as many entries as last year...considering that even with 46 entries we didn't get out till around....11:30? Imagine what it would of been like if there were 60 like last year

Maryssa
07-25-2006, 04:47 AM
i was blown away by the choreo for Dynasty Warriors. it was amazing.

the cadbury bunny thing scared the living PEE out of me. im going to have nightmares for weeks.

SCLNeptune
07-25-2006, 04:57 AM
I dont remember that entry...remind me about it! Was it like shortly before we were on stage or something?

Also, since I haven't said it yet? MUCH LOVE to the Davey Jones kid. He was SO FRELLING CUTE

Squall
07-25-2006, 05:11 AM
i was blown away by the choreo for Dynasty Warriors. it was amazing.

the cadbury bunny thing scared the living PEE out of me. im going to have nightmares for weeks.

LOL, it was awesome when the Fox started clucking to the theme of Robot Chicken XD

emolyte
07-25-2006, 06:11 AM
Yeah it was great this year!
I Loved the Kingdom Hearts one! Haha!

The KH was one of my favorites. I had been needing a yaoi moment all day and that did it for me.

I would have to agree with you both. The crowd got so loud, as riku made an amazing enterance *HOT HOT HOT* <3. I loved every yaoi action... Does anybody know who organized the skit?

darrylhw
07-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Mario from the Nintendon'ts here. Thanks for all the support. Great job on the part of all the cosplayers who participated in the Masquerade. Big props to the staff who ran such a smooth show.

PS. I think our Roy and Marth 0wn3d in the yaoi department. I don't think either of them will be forgiving me for that part of the skit anytime soon.

Kentelo
07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I was either backstage or in the photo area during a lot of the show, but I did get to see Nintendonts and it was hilarious. Sorry that I missed Potter and Pirates, although I saw both of their rehearsals and costumes backstage, but that just isn't the same thing. Little Davy Jones was a truly amazing costume especially up close, and unfortunately it didn't read as well on screen, nor could you perceive how tiny the little guy was; what a trouper.
Kent

-Epsilon-
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
i liked alot the superman cosplay it is very funny and the suit was good maked
but its a shame that his cape fell during his skit

i see how a fox decapited one pikachu thats was awesome

Kitsune-sama
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I would have to agree with you both. The crowd got so loud, as riku made an amazing enterance *HOT HOT HOT* <3. I loved every yaoi action... Does anybody know who organized the skit?

n_n That would be my good friend, Suzushichan. It was her idea. I was the Mana-esque Heartless, by the way. When our Riku came out in his flips, I seriously thought he had actually punched me!! I was lying on the ground all dead-like, but then I realized I was okay

Oh, and I speak for us all, big thanks on the enormous cheers, everyone!! :bigtu:

A J
07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Congratulations to all the winners!

Kentelo, your Zaphod was awesome! I died laughing when you pulled the 3rd arm out. =D And boy can your Barbarella swish. I wish I could do that. =D

Mandy Mitchell
07-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I think the Dynasty Warriors group were the Cal State Sacramento Martial Arts group. They did a great job!

There were so many excellent entries this year that it was so hard to remember them all. Your EVA 01 Unit was awesome! :bigtu:

Congratulations to this year's SDCC 2006 Masquerade participants!

JainaMSolo
07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Anyone know when they'll post the full winners' list? I remember most of the trophy awards, but didn't catch any of the company awards at all.

-Epsilon-
07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I think the Dynasty Warriors group were the Cal State Sacramento Martial Arts group. They did a great job!

There were so many excellent entries this year that it was so hard to remember them all. Your EVA 01 Unit was awesome! :bigtu:

Congratulations to this year's SDCC 2006 Masquerade participants!
what i mean is that in this masqerade everybody askme that "from were is your character?" or "what is your custome?" evangelion isint popular in sandiego or waht

P.D. if i made a croosplay of rei ayanami they would reconize me??????

emolyte
07-26-2006, 06:00 AM
n_n That would be my good friend, Suzushichan. It was her idea. I was the Mana-esque Heartless, by the way. When our Riku came out in his flips, I seriously thought he had actually punched me!! I was lying on the ground all dead-like, but then I realized I was okay

Oh, and I speak for us all, big thanks on the enormous cheers, everyone!! :bigtu:

Oh. I would have loved to take some pics of you guys. Unfortuntely i had to leave early. Great job on all the skits. Anybody have any info on the person who played riku?????????????

Kitsune-sama
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh. I would have loved to take some pics of you guys. Unfortuntely i had to leave early. Great job on all the skits. Anybody have any info on the person who played riku?????????????

Well...You'll have to ask the user Suzushichan on that one, but all I can tell you is his name is Kevin and he's a super nice guy...

n_n;;

STELLALUNA
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks so much to the staff (if they'll see this). Everything ran like clockwork. It was my first masquerade, and they made sure I didn't have to worry about anything.

All the costumes this year were phenomenal and everyone was super-nice!

If anyone has pics of my Haydee costume, would you be so kind as to post them?

STELLALUNA
07-26-2006, 01:24 PM
what i mean is that in this masqerade everybody askme that "from were is your character?" or "what is your custome?" evangelion isint popular in sandiego or waht

P.D. if i made a croosplay of rei ayanami they would reconize me??????

Your Eva was awesome!

Sadly, a lot of anime goes unrecognized at Comic-Con due to the high concentration of sci-fi and U.S. comics fans that don't really know much anime. :snoring:
But Eva is mega-popular. I'm surprised people didn't recognize you.

BTW, when the spotlight reflected off your eyes, it looked like they were glowing. Super-cool.

Maryssa
07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
heres what i remember:

best in show - dancing with celebrities
judges choice - corpse bride
best re-creation - davy jones
best workmanship - those 2 knights with the really dramatic skit, i dont know where they were from sorry >.<
most humorous - nintendon'ts
best performance - pirates

Sirhc
07-26-2006, 04:56 PM
the two knights were theoden and a guard from Lord of the Rings.

EDIT: to the person who did the Eva unit 01, trust me, lots of people knew who you were. when you walked on stage the first time and the MC mispronounced "evangellion" and the shout when out as to how to properly pronounce it (or spell it as i'm sure someone will correct me) there was little doubt to me that people knew.

Oneiro
07-26-2006, 04:56 PM

Riku was played by Kevin, who's one of my good friends, we're from Sacramento, and we drove all the way out there friday night @_@! 10 hour drive and we had no sleep, but he's a soldier and still performed like a madman, it's also his first time in a cosplay and skit @_@! If you see him ever again call him Kebon!

STELLALUNA
07-27-2006, 02:39 AM
heres what i remember:

best in show - dancing with celebrities
judges choice - corpse bride
best re-creation - davy jones
best workmanship - those 2 knights with the really dramatic skit, i dont know where they were from sorry >.<
most humorous - nintendon'ts
best performance - pirates

Looking at my Sunday Bulletin....

Best Original Design - Cadbury's Bunny Tryout
Most Beautiful - Haydee from Gankutsuou (that's me, yay)
Best Novice - Alien
Best Young Fan - the little Boba and Chewie (with their dad holding the Han Solo in carbonite)

Honorable Mentions:
Originality - Kwi Tok Ja Long (the lady with the hoops)
Kick-Ass Martial Arts - Dynasty Warriors
Best Future Leader - Kang

Eurobeat King
07-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Posted all of the masquerade pictures from the press-photo area as well as some post-masqy pics of the contestants and some of the winners:

EBK : Comic-Con 2006 Masquerade (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=48242&member=18)

Congratulations to all the winners and to everyone who participated in the masquerade, and thanks for posing for pictures, either after your performance/walk-on at the photo-stage, or after the show was over! :)

SCLNeptune
07-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Oh Al I totally <3 you

crimsonvision
07-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Enjoy what I've posted so far! :)

I totally wait for your photoset uploads after every convention! You are the best! I hope I run into you a few more times this year at D*C! :)

Maryssa
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Most Beautiful - Haydee from Gankutsuou (that's me, yay)

Ooooooh your wig was so much love. I wanted to come oggle at it but I didnt want to like, scare you =p

STELLALUNA
07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Ooooooh your wig was so much love. I wanted to come oggle at it but I didnt want to like, scare you =p
I'm glad you liked it. It was a lot of work to dye it. It took, like, 3 times to get it right.

Were you in the Masquerade?

Mandy Mitchell
07-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Posted about half of the masquerade pictures from the press-photo area:

EBK : 2006 Masquerade (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=48242&member=18)

Just finished the Harry Potter group, and tomorrow wil resume posting and finish the masquerade and post-masqy pictures. Enjoy what I've posted so far! :)

Thank you so much, Al! You rock! :bigtu:

lupineloli
07-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Tonks from the HP skit here.

Just thought I'd pop in and say it was fun & thanks again to SCLNeptune for putting it together

Dre
07-28-2006, 05:16 PM

That skit was organized by Suzushichan! ^_^

I remember her just explaining the concept to me prior to the con, but once it happened, it shocked even me!

You all did very well and I had enjoyed every second of this masquerade!

Suzushichan
07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Well...You'll have to ask the user Suzushichan on that one, but all I can tell you is his name is Kevin and he's a super nice guy...

n_n;;

and he's MY guy. :rockon:

JainaMSolo
08-04-2006, 01:41 AM
The SDCC official site has the complete list of winners up! It's here (http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_masq.shtml).

Majin Buu
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
It was really fantastic. This was the first time I've ever witnessed a masquerade for any convention. People put a lot of effort in their costumes and their performances. I wasn't even expected to go to the masquerade, either. I was just looking for something to do after the exhibit hall closed, and someone was giving her tickets away, so I took them, and gave all (but one) away to others. I may go again next year.