PDA

View Full Version : How much storage/memory for a day of shooting?

Oncoming
07-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi all, I'm going to Otakon as a first-timer and was wondering what was the most shots anyone took in a single day. I'm trying to eliminate or avoid going back to the hotelroom to dump images on my computer.

I shot around 900-1000 during my busiest day at Quakecon last year. I am running a 10D so each gig of storage gives about 150 pics. Currently have 3 cards totalling 4gig or 600 pics. Hopefully I can get some sort of ballpark since I'm buying 1, maybe 2 4gig cards or microdrives.

Oklahoma
07-26-2006, 05:44 PM
At that point you might consider a dump drive to copy the memory cards to. I know admin posted the link for one up sometime back. They usually run about $180+ for at least 40 gigs and some even boast 80 or more gigs for usually not a lot more maybe a buck a gig over the $180 40gig versions. I have one from Sandisk (I think) and it is a 40gig one and costs $180. All you have to do is plug the card in and press copy, when you are done shooting you can plug it into your computer later and copy them off of it.

At 150 pictures per gig that can get you 6000+ :mfg: pictures plus whatever your cards can hold.

For about the same or cheaper than some of the 4gig cards you get 40+gigs and all you have to do is take a couple of minutes to copy the card to it, but then that is why you have a second card so you can keep shooting while the other is copying.

As for actual pictures taken it depends on the person. I have seen people shoot 30 or so in a day and others shoot 2-3 thousand in a day. It really just depends on the person.

Wolverine
07-26-2006, 07:05 PM
At that point you might consider a dump drive to copy the memory cards to. I know admin posted the link for one up sometime back.
http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17_66&products_id=444

I shot around 900-1000 during my busiest day at Quakecon last year.You have QuakeCon pics? Do you have a photo site? I didn't see such a URL link in your profile.

impgard
07-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Have you ever considered editing out the bad shots while 'chimping' the LCD? That might save you some file space. I usually know when I don't get a shot (like when some random convention-goer steps into my shot), so deleting them on the fly might work, assuming you have good battery life.

Other than that, I'd get 8 GB Sandisk cards if you can afford them...because eventually you'll upgrade your camera to one that has higher megapixels.

The-Real-Link
07-26-2006, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=Wolverine]http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17_66&products_id=444

I'd say as well that it really depends on how much you plan to be shooting and how many pics you think you'll be taking. I know people who only take 30 or so pics at Otakon and then others such as the great Admin / Eurobeat King / Deathcom Multimedia / Rising Sun, who generally seem to take thousands per day.

Personally if you're able to work out the shipping and money costs up front before Otakon, the Compact Drive / Hyperdrive is very nice, as I've now used mine both at Anime Central and Anime North this year. Only had one or two stalls with it (I think the batteries were dead when I used it at those times) but as long as it's charged up you should have no problems. I still rotate though my 3x 512 and single 256 MB cards but it got to a point I just knew it would be expensive to buy many more (and the risk of losing them) so I went the storage route.

Only takes a minute or two to dump a 512 card so granted you may need to wait for a short time before you can flush the card again but it beats the hike back to a hotel.

Part of the reason I got one was also forseeing the fact of getting into higher resolution cameras and so having my cards give less and less photo counts for their space, so all in all, I don't think the drive is a bad option at all ^^.

If the drive isn't something you'd want to do now, it sounds like you already have a good amount of cards, but just might want to pick up one or two more 1GBs (at your stated capacity) to be safe. I know last year I easily filled 2 of my 512's before Friday was done but when it comes to more robust cameras like yours, I guess one can always err on having too much memory.

Oncoming
07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Here's a quick link to the Quakecon shots if you wanted to view those:http://s2i.riiv.com/qc. Added my site to profile. Went and doublechecked 950 was the most shots taken at QC on Saturday.

I've read reviews on the p70x and the epson p-2000 which are pretty similar but one forum (Forget whether that was on dpreview.com or fredmiranda.com forums) said the p70x was pretty fragile. I'm not really thrilled about either option if I can reach my box but the p-2000 is on a wishlist.

I guess I'm buying 2 4gig CF's. Just a simple decision on between Lexar 133x and Sandisk Ultra 2/Extreme 3.

Demonsun
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
okay, first thing what type of files are you shooting? Just JPegs, or RAWs?
That will determine what storage load you'll need.

And for the record, when I was using an 8G card I encountered a little too much corruption from time to time for my liking, I prefer the 1 and 4 gig cards. With them I usually have about three to four 1 gigs, and I usually offload one or two of them at a time, and I usually have about 3-4 512mb cards as backups. I usually use a laptop but Epson makes a nice little viewer/storage drive, its a little slow but it works great as a highres viewer.

and you can do what journalists do every day at sporting events, go through and process and tag every image, filtering down everything to a reasonable amount. When I do high school and local college sports games, I usually shoot around 2,000-4,000 pictures, and I usually end up with between 100-400 good shots, and even less that are publishable.

Don't be afraid to ruthlessley edit.

impgard
07-26-2006, 09:25 PM
I'd stay away from Lexars, especially since you are using a Canon. I only use Sandisk (Ultra IIs, not the Extreme's ) in my 1DmkII and have never had a problem. But, I have read horror stories regarding lost/corrupted files on the Lexars. A quick perusal of the Fred Miranda/DPreview/Sportsshooter.com sites will confirm this all to common problem with Lexar.

I, like Demonsun, use 1 gb cards. But, I am thinking about getting larger CF cards (4 or 8gb) when I upgrade my camera next year. Yeah and I shoot only RAW files, not JPEGs.

Demonsun
07-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I haven't had a problem with lexar, although I shoot nikon. I've never had a problem whith the professional 40X cards which I use. Any probnlems might be drawn to the fact that canon does not support the Write accelerate, Which nikon and everyone else do.
I use about 4 different types of memory cards usually, preferably my 1G lexar profesional, or my san disk 1 and 2 gb extreme III, And I've never once had a problem. Only time was with a 8 GB San disk Extreme 4, which I have since returned.

And Impgard, 1GB, 2gb, and 4 gb, are the best bets when it comes to speed and reliability, whether lexar, or sandisk, etc.

And When You use the professional grade cards you usually will have better quality memory anyways. The only lexar problems I've heard about are the ones regarding the cheap ones from sams club and other discount retailers.

impgard
07-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Demonsun, the lexar Pro 80X CF cards have a known bug with certain Canon cameras. Lexar issued a recall and will replace/fix cards that are sent to them. There's a bunch of posts on DPreview regarding this problem with Lexar cards. So, that being said many Canon shooters stay away from Lexar...at least for the moment.

+++++++++

Found some information regarding the Lexar problem...it was a firmware issue. Here's a link to the old Rob Galbraith site that explains the issue: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7841

Demonsun
07-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Probaly Relates to the Write accleration, its been known to cause isssues with cameras that don't support the way it writes data. ergo the corruption. the releases and stuff from lexar and canon all point to this.

I mainly shoot nikon but I have a d20 and occaisionally use it for the 50 mm 1.2, but I've never had a problem with my 80x 512, although its brand new, so it might not have the problem.

Demonsun
07-26-2006, 10:58 PM
i Just rered your original post, and I have one bit of advice, Stay away from microdrives, I lost about an hours worth of a barmitzfah becaus the 2 gig I had failed. won't touch em again except in a transfer drive

edit- Just checked out lexars site, and they are actually stopping making the 80x, cards so its a non issue

and the 133 and 40x have no problem at all with canons so far.

Anime London
07-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Personally I think more the better. I stick to 512M SD cards since they fit on a CDR. I do recommend a card reader since even without a laptop, you can go to an internet cafe and transfer the lot to a portable HD. I do both CDR and HD daily since I have had a card fail on me.

If you got a laptop then portable DVD burners might be an option.
As for how many more cards, you might want to add a couple to top off your maximum number of shots. Since if you're doing near a thousand at con you regularly go to, chances are you'll find more to shoot at a new con. I know I keep pressing my storage limits because I know I can always take another because I know I won't get another chance afterward.

I took 1.2G or 715 photos and clips at Anime North. Raw uncompressed camcorder footage pushed that another 27Gig of drive space. Still don't forget to have fun as I know, you can get caught up in just taking pictures.

Oncoming
07-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Demonsun - I shoot raws for everything but sports and a couple special cases.

Bought 2 Lexar 133x 4GB cards if anyone was interested in what I finally decided on buying. Thanks for the advice guys.

Jurai
07-28-2006, 07:04 AM
It depends to the shooting:

When I need to use Raw files, i'll much more memory, than while making shots for my website.

During a typical convention day, I shoot about 1000 photos. Each photo is sized 2544 * 1696. For each photo I need an avarage memory of 2.2 MB. A typical convention rises up to almost 7 GB.

Greetz Jurai :skidude2:

Cikgu101
07-31-2006, 01:47 AM
I have 3 X 1Gb and 2 X 512Mb that will roughly about 470++ of both JPeg and RAW pictures from my Nikon D50.

So my advice is...if you wanna shoot in the highest image quality...prepared to have lots of memory cards and batteries. Not to mention a portable image back-up system just in case your emory cards are not enough for that day. :rockon:

Trelyon
07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
I shot around 900-1000 during my busiest day at Quakecon last year. I am running a 10D so each gig of storage gives about 150 pics. Currently have 3 cards totalling 4gig or 600 pics. Hopefully I can get some sort of ballpark since I'm buying 1, maybe 2 4gig cards or microdrives.

hmmm... let see...

at Anime Expo (33,000 attendance) i took about 3000+ pix per day

at Comic-Con (125,000 attendance) i only took 300 pix per day... LOL... i was too busy going to panels and standing in line to take pix ;) that and one clone trooper looked like all the other clone trooper... pun intended... i have 50+ pix of Stan Lee tho

[hmmm... ditto with GenCon and DragonCon... too busy GMing]

Otakon (22,000 attendance) according to various sources... second largest anime con to AX in N. America... with more cosplayers... so you might have about 1800-2000 pix... about twice of Quakecon (7,000 attendance) I took only 200 pix there... too busy trading... ummm... multimedia modules ::evil grins::

~*~*~*~*~

...portable hard drives are too fragile to be moved around safely... then again so is our camera ::snickers::

average hard drive rate... between 100 and 200 Gs... mean it can be dropped from a foot without damage.

i like the Epson® P-4000 - 80GB... much lighter than carrying laptop around... but if you're expecting to take tons of pix... buy more cards or consider a heavy duty portable drive... 5000 Gs and up... which mean.. it could be thrown across a room ;)

SolarTempest
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
If I'm doing a day of moderate-heavy shooting, I'll end up with 600 shots maybe @ ~4gb.

My card setup is made up of all Sandisk Ultra II Cards:
2gb, 1gb, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb.

You have to watch out with those photo storage devices - for many of them the batteries will run out before you get 4gb transferred.

Admin
08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Ideally, I use a couple of 2GB cards and a PD70X. The PD70X battery life is outstanding - I can dump about 20GB of photos onto it with four AA batteries and still have enough juice to move those photos over to my main setup after the weekend is over. I recommend 2500mAH batteries for it, rechargeable.

A 2GB card dumps to the PD70X in around 5 minutes, if that. So if you can take a 5 minute break every 200-300 shots, you only need one card.

So for about $300, you can get a 40GB PD70X and a nice 2GB card, along with a battery charger and 4 AA's. You're set for any full weekend.

That being said, I lent my PD70X to a friend while she took a trip to Europe and I suddenly have to do about 1,000 shots/day on location a week from now, so I had to buy a few extra 2GB cards for the trip which I'll probably just eBay afterward. :) I guess take that as a testament to how tied into a portable drive one can get.

One other piece of advice on portables, if you go the build-it-yourself route, is to use 4200RPM drives instead of 5400RPM drives. There is really no need for anything faster than a 4200RPM drive when you're just dumping a card to it, as the card-to-hd transfer speed won't break the maximum on the drive itself. The advantage is that the batteries will last longer on a slower RPM drive.

Test Type
08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
I haven't had a problem with lexar, although I shoot nikon. I've never had a problem whith the professional 40X cards which I use. Any probnlems might be drawn to the fact that canon does not support the Write accelerate, Which nikon and everyone else do.
I use about 4 different types of memory cards usually, preferably my 1G lexar profesional, or my san disk 1 and 2 gb extreme III, And I've never once had a problem. Only time was with a 8 GB San disk Extreme 4, which I have since returned.

And Impgard, 1GB, 2gb, and 4 gb, are the best bets when it comes to speed and reliability, whether lexar, or sandisk, etc.

And When You use the professional grade cards you usually will have better quality memory anyways. The only lexar problems I've heard about are the ones regarding the cheap ones from sams club and other discount retailers.

Hmmm.

The only Lexar cards Iíve ever used are Pro cards and all of them have had problems and have had to be replaced by Lexar and it didn't matter whether they were used with Pentax or Canon DSLRs. The oldest card was under two years old when it failed.

I now use only 2GB Sandisk Extreme III cards.

I also use two Compact Drive PD70X units with 100GB hard drives.

I ordered the units from Eastgear and bought my hard drives elsewhere based on the features they provided.

Ryo_
08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Personally, I just take as many pictures as I can, then upload them to my laptop and keep on going.
Saves a bundle on memory cards.
I do realize memory cards will be a necessity in the future, and this thread is great for the recommendations. I'll keep an eye out for what you guys told the OP.

Demonsun
08-13-2006, 02:52 AM
I use compact flash cards from both lexar, and sandisk, and I've never had a problem with either, and several of my photojournalist friends who shoot canon have never had a problem with lexars cards, and they have used the 1, and 4 gb versions fro as long as they have been around. They occaisionally have a corrupt card, but it's happend kind of equally among the lexar and san disk.

Edit:
I ended up shooting over 3,000 photos at otakon, and I'm only starting to slug through processing all of them.

I ended Up dumping my three 1Gb cards once or twice a day, usually when I got back to the funimation booth where my freind was demoing the FMA TCG, for a while.

Menchi
08-14-2006, 11:28 AM
i have some relatively inexpensive fuji camera with a 256mb card, but pic wise depends on the con i will do 300-450 at a medium sized con. a large con like otakon i will do 450-1000 pics total...mind you i have to dump the memory on the card 1-2 times a day though.

djaxle
08-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I usually have 2 1 Gig cards and a 256 meg as backup. My digital is only 4 megapixels so the images range in the 6-700 kb range.

As for film, I usually carry an extra roll with me.

Hexlord
08-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Interesting to see how many photos that you guys take over the course of a single convention/event.

Personally, I can take between 200+ to 600+ shots for a single event, depending on the number of cosplayers and friends hanging around the place. I keep spare cards with me just in case I ran out of space, and have not found the need for an external storage, yet.