PDA

View Full Version : Otakon - The Thursday Before ^^

Sami
03-09-2003, 05:54 PM
I remember discussing this a while back with some people, Studmaster mainly.. and I was thinking about it today.. ^^

I'm curious, how many people are going to be in the Baltimore area for the Thursday before Otakon starts? Maybe we could all get together and do something, like go to the zoo, or go shopping or to a show or something. ^^ Nothing major. If I put in enough notice ahead of time I can easily get Thursday off from work too, but only if there's enough interest from other people to hang out and stuff..

We'll see! ^____^ (I think it would be fun!)

khamryn
03-09-2003, 05:59 PM
:x speaking of that... ::asks Kellie stuff.::

I should be ^_^; but we'll have to see... I like to get there the day before the con but if the room isn't till friday that means i have to get a really early morning flight. >.< ::sulk::

course if nothing else i'll room with someone else like i did at katsu... ::sweatdrop::

Sami
03-09-2003, 06:06 PM
We're actually reserving our room for Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights if you're still staying with us. ^_^ (As far as I know!)

Emeralda
03-09-2003, 06:39 PM
There's always the Aquarium, which is RIGHT there. But somehow, every year, my group never makes it there. Granted it's usually about 103 degrees >.<

MonoyashaJLA
03-09-2003, 07:17 PM
I would love to go thursday, but same here...my room is for friday, sat and sun at the hyatt. Unless I sleep in my tiny car thursday night.

Arashi
03-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Don't you have to pay to get into the Aquarium though? That's what my brother told me when he visited Baltimore last year ^^;; And oh, yes...it's hot outside, especially during the summer x__x;
That sounds like a great idea, Sami...but if I go to Otakon I don't think I'll be able to be in Baltimore on Thursday ^^;;;

Iridal
03-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Yeah, we always get to Otakon the Thursday before, and after we checked in and got in our rooms and settled, we decided to stop at the Aquarium before dinner and relax.

They wanted like $18 for a few hours! O.o And the only discounts were for senior citizens, children under 10, and groups of 20 or more (or something like it). You'd think at LEAST they'd have a student discount!

ryuichi fangirl
03-09-2003, 08:35 PM
wellshould Xara, Caran and I make it up early enough...we'd prolly be interested...just let us know the plans and we'll see ^^;;

khamryn
03-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Sami- Yeah I just found that out. :D yayness. ::hug:: n.n

SailorMo
03-09-2003, 10:41 PM
I'll be gettin in thursday afternoon... to settle in 'n such. My crew usually goes for japanese... ^_^

Romann
03-09-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm in baltimore everyday...so that would be a cool idea for everyone to get together for a pre-otakon get-together!

As for the aquarium, i would go on a friday...prices drop to $5...but then again otakon would have started...

TyJILDown
03-09-2003, 11:01 PM
I may be traveling down with Stud that Thursday if he goes as well...I got nothing to do that day ^_^

Hikaruchan
03-09-2003, 11:36 PM
I probably won't be rolling in til late Thursday - got about 12 hour drive.

ainslye
03-10-2003, 12:55 AM
I'll be there on thursday! And I think Lizzy might, too, right, since you're staying with my group? *looks to lizzy for confirmation* The aquarium and the science center is always fun, but they can be pricey in the evenings. We might just end up playing DDR in the hotel, I don't know what's going on.

Rinkun
03-10-2003, 01:50 AM
ooh, aquarium sounds nice...must tell fellow roomates, so we can leave early ^_^

just a nice 2hour drive down there :D

Recca-kun
03-10-2003, 02:49 AM
I'll be there on Thursday, hopefully sooner than later...

Lady
03-10-2003, 07:26 AM
I'm getting in with Iridal's group on Thursday and celebrating my 24th birthday*prances about and shakes her bum* I'm hoping to get some pretty boy strippers who'll accept monopoly money as tips*grins*

I'm holding out hope that Otakon will have some pre-reg booths set up on Thursday so we can take care of the pre-reg the night before, and just enjoy the con Friday through Sunday*nods*

-Lady

dizzylizzy
03-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ainslye
I'll be there on thursday! And I think Lizzy might, too, right, since you're staying with my group? *looks to lizzy for confirmation* The aquarium and the science center is always fun, but they can be pricey in the evenings. We might just end up playing DDR in the hotel, I don't know what's going on.

::lizzy has been spotted::

sounds like fun!!! just pleeeeez.... no hard rock cafe.... i got sick the last time i went there. ^o^;;;; lol (actually, i don't care either way.) woo-hoo!

jen, is this a "sidequest" for more "key items"?

Lafiel
03-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I also always show up early thursday and stay till monday so I'm not running around :)
I would love to meet people :D Not to sure if an AOD gathering is going on thursday, usually go to that ;)

Carmila
03-10-2003, 05:14 PM
It totally is up in the air. I really want to go up there on Thursday to have a look around Baltimore, but it just depends on work. I am trying to get a new job and if I get one it will be up in the air. If I am still at my old one (totally hope not!) then I will definately be there!

Studmaster
03-10-2003, 06:02 PM
My plans for Otakon are almost finalized. I plan to leave for Baltimore on Thursday. What time depends on whether there'll be a gathering. I really want to get pictures and a taste of all of Balitmore for this one.

Sami
03-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Ee, this sounds fun! ^____^

The aquarium would be cool, I wonder if we could get a group discount or something? I don't want people (self included) to have to pay an arm and a leg to get in.. >__<

yuffieleonheart
03-10-2003, 07:02 PM
i'm flying there so i should be there on thursday but i dunno how late ^^;

chibi-dj
03-10-2003, 07:36 PM
i'll be there on thursday, but im helping set up (on staff) and we wont get off till late. hehe...you can usually find the Otakon staff swamping a resturaunt in innerharbor ^_~

Radical Urd
03-11-2003, 09:52 PM
ooooo ooooo!!! I'll be there! We booked for Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, & Mon. I usually get some chinese food at the place across from the wyndym. But i would love to go somewhere! Coolies!

Kamui Motoaki
03-11-2003, 09:56 PM
anyone have extraroom for an bum that may wanna bum it on thursday? ^_^***

LadyXara
03-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey I'm game ^^ We are gonna leave early Thurs morn cos we wanted to check out Baltimore before the con ^^<--first time to Baltimore ....so whenever anyone sets up a time we'll meet ya there...er...if it isn't too expensive of course ^^ Food takes priority over fish ..unless i can eat the fish lol

Or just a suggestion:
Maybe we could meet up for a Thursday dinner thingy or somethin like that....the people who come on Thursday have to eat dinner too right ^^; It may be cheaper that way *shrugs*

Carmila
03-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Yeah for Con Birthdays! Ok, that is all I have to say.

Eurobeat King
03-11-2003, 11:56 PM
As of now, I DO plan to arrive there on Thursday, before Otakon begins. The earliest time I get to Baltimore will be 5pm, just in time to check into my room at the Holiday Inn, and then I'll be wandering the Convention Center area, looking for people. Not sure if I'm pre-reg. for Ota, so I want to eat dinner and get some sleep, before waiting in line EARRRRLY for at-con reg. (the line last year was tooo long, and it sucked that I didn't get there until 10am FR morning..) Not going to make that mistake this year..

If everyone's interested in getting dinner as a group, we can have a pre-Ota cosplay.com gathering of sorts, and go to the Food Court for dinner. Other places that we as a group can go to would be: Cheesecake Factory, UNO's, Hard Rock Cafe, ESPN Zone, or else.. HOOTERS!! :D I went twice last year, and enjoyed the food (heehee) and got a few pictures of myself & Celine posing with the Hooters girls. ;) I plan to do that this year again, so perhaps I should start another thread about forming a cosplayer dinner at HOOTERS.. heehee Bear in mind that any of the above-mentioned restaurants are sorta pricey $$, so if we go there be prepared to have the cash. We could go elsewhere, but the lack of cars for those who are going to Ota by plane could make it tough to go outside of Baltimore to eat.. :thumbsup:

So I hope to see everyone there on that Otakon Thursday, and we'll make it a great 3.5-day con for everyone who goes! :skidude2:

psythe
03-12-2003, 07:32 AM
I'll be there thursday, so I'll join in on a dinner with you all ^_^

Rosiel
03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Well since Sami will be there on Thursday, and we're rooming together, I will probably try to be there on Thursday too.

Especially since I have the horrible feeling it might take two trips to get all of my things to the hotel room. (Curse be on me and my wing fetish!) X__X

Lil_Phoenix
03-12-2003, 12:34 PM
My group is gonna be staying at the Hyatt thursday-saturday night. We're probly gonna show up around 4 at Baltimore. I dunno if we'll all be up to doing something that evening, but I think it'd be fun.

And Will (yell at me if I can't call you that- I'm a newb. ^.^; I noticed everybody else does, though), you could probably stay with us thursday night, but we have 5 people already so it may be a little crowded. Just offering. I don't think anybody would mind.

Edit: This offer still stands for anyone who needs a place thurs. night. His was just the only request I'd seen at the time. But remember, we're already pretty packed. So only as a last resort, k?

Sami
03-12-2003, 06:52 PM
> Especially since I have the horrible feeling it might take two trips to get all of my things to the hotel room. (Curse be on me and my wing fetish!) X__X

LOL, I guess I'll have to clean out the trunk of my car.. (I can pick you up Thursday morning if you want!)

Dinner would be FABULOUS if you want to plan a place for us to meet, Al! ^_- (I'll leave that one to you!) As far as day things go I'm going to look into it more this weekend once I have some more time and see what I can find.. I'll post some choices and hopefully some prices of places we can go, and we can have a big ol' group vote or something. ^^

TyJILDown
03-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Dinner on Thursday? Whatever plans are set, I'm game.

Nene
03-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Mwaa~n! I'll be there Thursday, prolly early, too, cause I live only a half an hour away from Baltimore..ohohoho..achem.. I'd wanna join, if y'dun mind a cosplay.com newbie..::doesn't know most of y'all -^ ^;;;:: but yea, the aquariam is AWESOME! I've only been there a few times...but it's really great. And there's also this one sushi place i wanna check out. Forgot what it's called, but they were giving out flyers for it last year...anyone else get any of those? Hmm..wonder if I can find it some where...>9 sushi..

Oshi
03-13-2003, 03:47 PM
My brother and I will be down there Thurs *nod* Dinner sounds good!

Hey Will, I gotcha covered if you need a room. I have two rooms reserved, but I think only 4 people are gonna be in em Thurs night as of now. ^^

Rosiel
03-13-2003, 03:54 PM
> I can pick you up Thursday morning if you want!

I would love you forever if you did! ^___^

It would be fun meeting everyone for dinner... although if we end up being a huge group, would someone need to make a reservation?

Hikaruchan
03-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Depending on when I get in, I am definitely up for meeting for dinner

Studmaster
03-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> I can pick you up Thursday morning if you want!

I would love you forever if you did! ^___^

It would be fun meeting everyone for dinner... although if we end up being a huge group, would someone need to make a reservation?

True. If we can all agree to a Resturant, I'll make them before I come down.

Carmila
03-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Oh, dinner sound nice. Kinda just like a social gathering rather than a cosplay gathering. Might be lots of fun. I so want to get up there thrusday afternoon, however, I still need to find a place to stay. It will be much easier if I am working and can take off two days than a day and a half.

Sami
03-13-2003, 08:25 PM
> It would be fun meeting everyone for dinner... although if we end up being a huge group, would someone need to make a reservation?

I was actually thinking about this earlier.. we really need to get a head count, because if there's 48888366444 people planning to meet up, things might get a bit unwieldy with such large groups! >_<

penultimate03
03-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Oy, all these people relaxin' on Thurs! Luckies, haha.

*going to be busy in the BCC most of Thurs, rounding up the gophers*

Kamui Motoaki
03-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Oshi
My brother and I will be down there Thurs *nod* Dinner sounds good!

Hey Will, I gotcha covered if you need a room. I have two rooms reserved, but I think only 4 people are gonna be in em Thurs night as of now. ^^

wow kewl! ^_^ i'll remember that. . as of right now. . otakon is still a long ways. . its AX first. . ^_^** but yea. . .
i gotta see my situation first. . then i'll give you a holla later. . ^_^

Eurobeat King
03-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Sami: I can organize the dinner gathering for that Thursday, provided I am fersure getting there in the early evening. Even a later dinner (9-10pm) would be OK with everyone? I don't know if there'll be pre-reg. for people on Thursday, or even if the BCC will be open at all on TH (Doc Stampede, any info?) but if it is, the best place to meet for a dinner gathering would be next to the Starbucks by registration, or the large staircase right behind it. If the BCC is closed on TH, the best place to meet is 2nd level area walkway, that leads to the Food Court. There's a LARGE open area (where people played kick-ball last year. hehe) that's perfect for people to meet, and it's on the way to whichever place we decide to go for dinner. That's the best place I can think of to meet IF the BCC is closed on Thursday. Anyone else have a suggestion as to a meeting place?

Again, the listing of places to eat as a large group would be the following choices:

UNO's
Cheesecake Factory
Hard Rock Cafe
ESPN Zone
HOOTERS

There might be a few others within that general tourist-y area, but I forgot which ones they were. Anyone else who can suggest some WITHIN walking distance of the BCC would be good. My suggestion would be Uno's or Cheesecake Factory, since they can accomodate large groups. Hooters would be also good, but I doubt many of the girls here on cosplay.com would choose that.. heehee :thumbsup:

We have time to decide, but when we do decide on a restaurant, I'll go ahead and make the reservation for the group. Since there's a lot of people who might show up for it, I think it's best that we keep it to cosplay.com members (haha even then, THAT may be a large # of members) but it's better to keep it to our group doesn't get out of hand (Some mods MAY be going to this dinner, so be on your best behavior.. :D j/k) We may have to wear name-tags or something to identify who's who out of costume..

See you all in.. 5 months +/-!!

Michi
03-14-2003, 03:48 AM
Umm, I'd totally be up for dinner before the con with everyone, I just have no idea if I'll have a room that night. ^_^; The person I'm rooming with hasn't been online for a while. ;.;

Raincrystal
03-14-2003, 12:48 PM
That Uno's takes a million years to bring you your food... my brother actually yelled at the manager once (and my brother is SCARY when he takes someone to task.)

I probably won't go till Friday, because the people I'm staying with never do. So unless someone wants to offer me crash space on their floor, I won't be there early. ^^;

yuffieleonheart
03-14-2003, 05:55 PM
going to dinner with all u sounds like tons of fun^^ i'd love to go

Sami
03-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Al, you're totally cool. ^____^ *hugs* Personally I'd choose anything but ESPN Zone (not a fan of sports), and I'd only go to Hooters if there was noplace else really to go.. ^^;

My status is: still need to do research on places to go. ^^; I'm working on it! By this weekend, really!!!

Nametags would be cool.. XD *scuttles off to Photoshop*

Rosiel
03-15-2003, 08:41 AM
> I'd only go to Hooters if there was noplace else really to go..

I second Sami on that one. I've never been in one, and I would not mind dying of old age without having been in one.

And ESPN Zone is too loud! If we all meet up and can't hear each other talk, what's the point?

> Nametags would be cool.. XD

This is starting to sound too much like those AA meetings you see in movies. Maybe we can keep it informal? ^__^

Oshi
03-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Hooters sounds good. I'm probably the only guy in the world who truthfully goes there for the wings... >.>; I swear, I do! Stop looking at me like that!

Sami
03-15-2003, 10:52 AM
> And ESPN Zone is too loud! If we all meet up and can't hear each other talk, what's the point?

I am anti-sports bars! No football on big 60" tv's!! RAWR! *pickets*

>This is starting to sound too much like those AA meetings you see in movies. Maybe we can keep it informal? ^__^

"My name is Sami.. and I'm a geek-aholic." I'm really bad with the name to face ratio, but I think a good number of the people in this thread I can tell apart anyways. ^^ (As long as we don't have to play any of those stupid "get to know you" icebreaker games like we used to do at business meetings.. ughh...)

MonoyashaJLA
03-15-2003, 11:19 AM
uuhhhh.....Reiko and I would love to hang out with you guys :) But......We don't have or hotel reservation until friday.......can anyone spare some floor room for us thursday night?????........ :(

Reiko
03-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah anyone who can put up with me for a night......I'll go to sleep real fast and I wont bother you cause most likely I'll be running around trying to find people outside!

please

I SMELL REAL GOOD AND I TAKE SHOWERS!!! (had to put that in I think its from the soucrer hunters)

katchoo
03-15-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm up for joining in on the fun also! I'll be staying with stud and carmella. Just let me know time/place! ^_^

Sami
03-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Okay, I've done some minimal research. ^_^;; Just keep in mind that although I've been to Baltimore a good number of times, I don't live there..

Things we could do:

-- The zoo seems a bit far away, unless we wanted to all stuff ourselves into cars and go. ^^;

-- The aquarium is very close! (aqua.org) It's on E. Pratt street.. ^^ We would have the choice of either just buying tickets at the door or making group reservations to cut down on the price a bit. And I have a feeling the price cut would help a lot of people out, mainly the ones between 12 and 18.. ^_-

Group Rates
Adults: $16.00
Seniors (ages 60 and up): $13.25
Students (ages 12 to 18): $10.75
Children (ages 3 to 11): $8.75

Regular Rates:
Adults $17.50
Children 3 to 11 years of age $9.50
Adults sixty years and older $14.50

-- Shopping! There's the Harborplace in Baltimore that's on E. Pratt Street and doesn't seem like a far walk from the convention center.. it's got a website (harborplace.com) and apparently has over 100 stores and a good number of restaurants -- so the webpage says, I've never been there. ^_^;;

Baltimore is also the home of the National Museum of Dentistry... just in case you're feeling ambitious. ^_- (Or nutty about dental health!)

If people want to go out to clubs or see some live music or something at night, that's a whole other story.. @_@ But this is just for the day. ^^ Rather than make a poll for all of this in a seperate thread I just figured I'd throw some ideas out there and go with the general consensus of things.. although once we decide on where we'll go we'll probably need a good headcount of people if we want to make reservations for attrations or eating places..

That is all from me for now! ^^

Recca-kun
03-15-2003, 07:48 PM
There's also the Maryland Science Center for family things to do (on the water diagonally across from the Aquarium with Harborplace in between), and if you like Baseball there is a home game on Thursday at 12:35. THANKFULLY, the team will be out of town Friday until mid-week of the following week so we won't have crazy drunk fans again this year.

I know I'm getting seafood at least once over the weekend at Harborplace, and I'll have to refrain from Hooters as well. ^_^;

Hikaruchan
03-15-2003, 08:34 PM
MonoyashaJLA & Reiko,

Barring any car probs, I should be getting in evening Thursday and have got room at Hyatt for others - if you can put up with a snorer.

Reiko
03-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
MonoyashaJLA & Reiko,

Barring any car probs, I should be getting in evening Thursday and have got room at Hyatt for others - if you can put up with a snorer.

I love you.... :)

MonoyashaJLA
03-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Really Hikaruchan??? :) You wouldn't mind.....I'm so hap......WAIT!!!! YOUR A KAGOME!!!! (help Reiko..) Nah, I'm just kidding...if your willing to put up with us and our Pixy Stick cravings :) We would be thrilled to stay for thursday night and best of all its in the same hotel *HAPPYNESS* ^0^

Raincrystal
03-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Lowdown on the shopping center-- It's all really expensive stuff and novelty stores. Lots of fun to look at, but you probably won't buy anything. They used to have an exclusive doll shoppe when I was little, and I'd go in and press my nose against the glass and stare at the dollhouse furniture and tiny porcelain figures longingly...
And of course, there are lots of Maryland tourist merchandise (an entire store that's all crabs,) and my favorite store, the science/discovery store (toys for all ages.) There's a place that's all African imports (wooden pots and sculptures and boxes,) and a fancy Austrian crystal store, and just lots of niftiness...
And a store which is ENTIRELY for hats. I bought the coolest hat there a few years back:
http://www.seiryuu.org/~raincrystal/misc/icons/rain-icon08.jpg

Also, the Cheesecake Factory has great desserts, but the lunch menu itself was uninspiring.

Hikaruchan
03-15-2003, 11:11 PM
MonoyashaJLA,

No problem with me, last time I came up in 2001 I shared a room with another cosplayer on Thursday cause she didn't have a place to stay til Friday. Just may see me doing some mad ironing if I feel like it, as I prefer to try to get at least 1 day ahead in that.

MonoyashaJLA
03-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Oh Yah!!! Reiko was obsessed with ironing at Katsu ;) I hate to ask cuz it seems rude.....but could you fit one more person in??? I have to pick her up for Otakon and she would have a place to stay :( She is SeymourMother and a very good friend of Reiko and I. She haged out with us all of Katsucon, very funny Individual :)

Hikaruchan
03-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Sure, should be able to fit her in on Thursday.

MonoyashaJLA
03-15-2003, 11:43 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! Well, its not like she'll take up very much room cuz SeymourMother only weighs about 80-90 pounds :) She will be soo happy...I'm going to PM her right now ^-^

Rosiel
03-16-2003, 09:38 AM
> I know I'm getting seafood at least once over the weekend at Harborplace

The seafood there is so good. :9
I will probably be eating fish most of the weekend.

> Lowdown on the shopping center-- It's all really expensive stuff and novelty stores.

I have to admit I find it a little boring. I'd rather walk around the harbour than stuff myself in that shopping center... unless it's really, really hot again. ;__;

Just a question, is there anything people would like to see/do that would be hard to achieve in costume? If so, that would be a perfect idea for Thursday.

MonoyashaJLA
03-16-2003, 10:34 AM
What??? Walk around town in full costume??? Wouldn't some cosplayers get too hot..... :)

MonoyashaJLA
03-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I do admit it would be fun running around in costume and looking at the expressions on others faces as we walk by LOL!! ^-^

Reiko
03-16-2003, 11:59 AM
ummm

Haruka chan...I might have to find somewhere else....to stay on Thursday...cause I said my cus can go ..(I forgot when I posted this) I think thats more people then you can fit in your room

MonoyashaJLA
03-16-2003, 06:20 PM
??? I'm not even sure will even have enough room in the car now :( We might have to take the van.....I HATE THE VAN!!!!! GGrrrrr....

Reiko
03-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Stacy said she might have a ride there...

MonoyashaJLA
03-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Oh......And how old is this info for rides??? I was just talking to her yesturday and she ask for a ride to Otakon!!!

Reiko
03-16-2003, 06:26 PM
okay..she told me.... oh well hopefully my cus wont be able to coem I told her if she gets the money she can come...

MonoyashaJLA
03-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Well, I have to agree, but I hate to sound rude toward you cuz....some people might be offended

Reiko
03-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah I know what you mean

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm Tiny I can sit on someone!!! Hikaruchan THANKS!!! I owe you one!!!

Rosiel
03-17-2003, 10:50 AM
This is a thread for figuring out who is coming on Thursday and what we will do. Could you keep the back-and-forth of your ride arrangements in PM? It's irrelevant here.

And for those of you (you know who you are) who do this all the time, please, from now on, try to stay on topic and keep the spamming to a minimum.

Hikaruchan
03-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I really like the sound of the aquarium, but I am probably not going to get in early enough to make a worthwhile trip to it Thursday. I actually hope I get to see the harbor this time, last time I came it started storming everytime I had a spot in schedule when not any events wanted to see. Some cosplay photography by the water might be nice to - if there are any good locations/setups.

Rosiel
03-17-2003, 11:20 AM
> I really like the sound of the aquarium

The Aquarium is a lot of fun, but you really have to invest a few hours to see all of it. It's huge!

> Some cosplay photography by the water might be nice to - if there are any good locations/setups.

The waterfront is very crowded in summer, so it might be a little difficult. We took pictures last year but not only was it hard to find a spot, we really attracted a huge crowd of people staring and pointing at us. All in all, it's not very feasible.

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 11:25 AM
I do that when I goto a foreign mall in costume ^^

Kellie
03-17-2003, 12:02 PM
If you guys want to go to the Aquarium, my company (ADP) has passes. I don't know how many I can get (x_x; I think its just a few), but I do know (i'm pretty sure) that if you call ahead, you could quite possibly get a group discount.

I can check with my HR manager and get more information if there's a large group, we have something spiffy like coporate group rate discounts or something.

Another place to go to would be the Science Center. Yet again, I can get passes for this as well.

There's also the Walter's Art Gallery, Baltimore Museum of art (Both of which have student discounts as far as I know).

Show wise, x_x; The only shows we really get are ones lingering at pier 6, the lyric, the morris mechanic and the arena. All of which will cost you a fortune to get to. ^^; Trust me on this.

I kind a skimmed the posts, so if anything was already mentioned, I'm sure I'll catch it.

Also! Sami mentioned the zoo. If that's an idea I can get a few passes for that too.

I'll have to look up some more stuff.

Oh yeah ... xD And if my post didn't scream it, I'll have off all day on Thursday and living in Baltimore forever..yeah. XD I'll already be here.

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Sweeet I haven't been to the Aquarium in ages!!!!!!!!!

Nene
03-17-2003, 01:17 PM
I like the zoo idea, even if it is pretty far... but I most people wanna go to the Aquarium, ne... -^ ^- Ara! But What time are y'all thinkin' bout doing all this? =X

What am I talking about...if I pass this interview for this Prinston Japanese-American student program, I won't be back even for Friday of the Otakon..::sigh:: I hope if I dun, I can hang out with y'all, though -^-^-

dizzylizzy
03-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Nene
I like the zoo idea, even if it is pretty far... but I most people wanna go to the Aquarium, ne... -^ ^- Ara! But What time are y'all thinkin' bout doing all this? =X

::Cough::: guys... the zoo.... it's in a scary neighborhood. ::been there a few times::: the aquarium is in the harbor... walking distance. that's just me. : )

Kellie
03-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Yes. Lizzy has a point. The Zoo is in a not so good neighborhood. Not a place you want to be in late at night. One, the traffic is horrid. And Two, I fear for my life in Druid Hill.

I found out that my office offers discount coupons! I'm not sure how many I can get, but I can get a few I'm sure. Usually the grocery stores around here offer coupons as well. So, if its the aquarium everyone wants, I'll see what I can do. ^_^

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 05:35 PM
that be cool, I wanna goto the Aquarium again ^^;;

Kellie
03-17-2003, 05:44 PM
*random* XD I suddenly feel like a walking talking Baltimore Sunspot. e_e;;;

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Sounds good to me. Where are the best places to go at Inner Harbor?

Kellie
03-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Depends on what you're looking for! Food, shopping...ya know..that kind of stuff. I'm tempted to break out my Best of Baltimore magazine. I might do that on the way home and start another thread being as this one is for the sole purpose of who's coming on Thursday.

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Sounds good, I'm going up Thurs with Reiko ^^

Sami
03-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Maybe we could break up into smaller groups.. the ones who wanted to go to the zoo could do that, and the ones who wanted to go to the aquarium could do that.. and then we could all meet up again for dinner. ^_^ Just a thought.

I know I for one would definitely be up for the aquarium - I have a friend from Canada who's coming down for Otakon and will be with me on Thursday, and she's a marine biologist and would love it too. ^____^ (Besides, fish are prettyyy~!)

[samiedit] Oh yeah, as far as times go.. maybe we could all meet between 1 or 2 or 3 or something.. because I'm not sure what time everyone's going to be coming in, and I'm sure people would like to check into their hotels first. (Not sure what check-in time is!) I know I'm going to have to pick Rosiel up in the morning (if she still wants!) and pick my friend up from BWI, so I don't want to make it too hectic on anyone..

Suggestions welcome! ^_^

SeymourMother
03-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

Rosiel
03-17-2003, 06:53 PM
> Maybe we could break up into smaller groups..

Herding more than about 5-6 people becomes a chore anyway. Smaller groups is a really good idea, especially since places like the aquarium tend to be really crowded.

> pick Rosiel up in the morning (if she still wants!)

Yes! Yes! Yes! Thanks Sami. ^__^

Sami
03-17-2003, 07:10 PM
> Yes! Yes! Yes! Thanks Sami. ^__^

I'll pencil you in for that morning, then! ^_-

So.. we should decide who wants to go where, then. As long as most of the others are up for smaller groups, I think that would be best. It would be tough to have 30-someodd people all bumbling around the aquarium or zoo in a congealed heap.. ^^;;;

chrisscrewball
03-17-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm game, just tell me when stuff is.

LadyXara
03-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Well...since it will be hot and er...not located in a great place...I will choose the Aquarium over the Zoo. ^^ So sign me up for the Aquarium group ^^

I like the idea of meetin at 2 That way we can have a couple hours to check out the Aquarium (or Zoo...) and not have to RACE to dinner ^^.....speakin of which has anyone decided on a place yet? Lookin at how large this group is....a buffet seems like the only place that will hold us LOL

ryuichi fangirl
03-17-2003, 07:56 PM
*snikkit* well..I guess I'm gonna follow Xara..I've been to all those places anyways so I'll just do the stuff she wants I suppose...food is gonna be really interesting...this is a lot of people to fit in any one place...unles we head over to the shopping center/mall thingie..(been there 6 times and still have no idea what the heck it is..^^::)

chrisscrewball
03-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Yeah I would definitely like to go to the aquarium considering how hot it probably will be outside. FUN FUN!!!

Nene
03-17-2003, 08:55 PM
eheh...i was kidding about the zoo..yea~~ ->>;; but yea, I haven't been in the Aquarium in YEARS -^ ^;; It'll be fun! Hope I can join you's guys =D

Mm...buffet...an all you can eat one, ne? >9

LadyXara
03-17-2003, 09:24 PM
lol I've never been to Baltimore....so I dunno if they have a buffet place around there....anyone know? But heck I am with Ryui...if buffet place doesn't work or we can't find a LARGE resteraunt...why not do the shopping center ^^;

Eurobeat King
03-18-2003, 03:36 AM
You who live near the Inner-Harbor area are lucky to be able to get to do stuff during the day for that TH before Otakon. As I said, the earliest I would get there is the mid-afternoon or early evening, so getting together and dinner is the only plan that I can do on that day. But it will be fun! :) I look forward to it!!

Studmaster
03-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Now I know I'll be leaving NYC in the morning of august 7th for sure. So should everyone meet in front of the Baltimore Convention Center or something like that? (I know it's early, but sue me)

Lilli
03-18-2003, 08:29 AM
o.o; *ponderponder* I'll be there the Thursday before Otakon. Hehe, how soon I can sneak away from work will determine how soon I can meet up with everyone :3 *may just pack her car and pop over to the convention center so she dosn't have to go home, etc.* Saaaa. Well O.o; Maybe I'll even take Thursday off. I dunno. It's too early for me to decide yet ^^;;;

._. Jason will be in on Thursday too. Yay :3 I dunno if Yui will!! I hope so, yay :3

Kellie
03-18-2003, 08:33 AM
Aquariuuuuuuum!!!! =3 ::runs to get ready for work::

Carmila
03-18-2003, 09:45 AM
If I go it may be mid afternoon or early evening as well. It all depends on when I can get a flight out or if I can take a half day off from work or if I have to take a full day.

TyJILDown
03-18-2003, 04:30 PM
<3 teh fishies~ Yea, I would love to hit up the aquarium, and wherever we decided to eat shall be fine.

Kellie
03-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Just a question, think we should start an Otakon Aquarium group thread so we know who's going? And I know how many passes I should attempt to get?

SeymourMother
03-18-2003, 04:35 PM
That sounds like a good idea, I am coming up frrom Montgomery County and maybe be there sometimes in the afternoon.

Sciguy
03-18-2003, 05:14 PM
I might pop over. I'll need to lookup the cost for the aquarium (which is why we should go to the zoo, it's free). I'll try to get over there. Hopefully I can tire myself out enough to go to bed early so that I can get down to the BCC nice and early! Early pre-reg, here I come!

Sami
03-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Scratch this entire post - it seems like it will turn out to be more trouble than it is worth.. -_-

We can all meet at the terrace at 3:30-4:00 or something.

Kellie
03-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Weee..there's a forum lurking about in the Otakon thread for the Aquarium just in case. :x I was bored having nothing to do at work all day ... again.

Sami
03-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Can we sort of keep this to one thread? ^^;;; Gomen, I don't want there to be too much confusion and I'd like to keep it all together if I'm going to be putting this all together..

Kellie
03-18-2003, 07:07 PM
^_^ No problem. I can still look into passes from work if you like.

Sami
03-18-2003, 07:19 PM
YES, if you'd do that it'd be great! ^^ Although I'm not sure how we'd divvy them up fairly among ourselves.. AAA TOO MUCH THINKING!!! ^_^_^_^_^;;

SeymourMother
03-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Indeed way to much to think!!!

Oshi
03-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Um... wow... I think just my brother and I will go to the aquarium ourselves and meet up with yas ^^; The group rate's only like, $1.50 cheaper anyway...

Besides... 2PM is way to early, I don't plan on getting down there til like, 6-ish

dizzylizzy
03-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Sciguy
I might pop over. I'll need to lookup the cost for the aquarium (which is why we should go to the zoo, it's free).

::Taps you on the shoulder and whispers:: it's not free... they began charging

SeymourMother
03-19-2003, 02:22 AM
When did they start that?

Sciguy
03-19-2003, 06:58 AM
that's news to me as well. Last time it was free...

SeymourMother
03-19-2003, 09:10 AM
That is weird o.O

psythe
03-19-2003, 09:22 AM
I could see myself getting there around 6 or 7, and thats if I leave town at 5 in the morning X_x;;

Kellie
03-19-2003, 10:19 AM
The zoo has been charging for a while now. Did you guys go on a special day or something? I always remember paying ever since I was little.

The Reptile house is free to enter, but not the zoo.

Blaze
04-01-2003, 05:30 PM
We'll be in Baltimore about Noon-1p.m., but then it's about a 1-2 hour walk to lug all our luggage from the train station to our hotel, we're staying at the Whyndam. All the guys we're with wouldn't go, but most likely the girls would.

dizzylizzy
04-02-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Kellie
The zoo has been charging for a while now. Did you guys go on a special day or something? I always remember paying ever since I was little.

The Reptile house is free to enter, but not the zoo.

i thought that you had to pay for the rep house too? at least it was a few years ago. things change. lol

SeymourMother
04-02-2003, 02:23 AM
Alot has change... oh well if we can't do that then we'll just hang out in Baltimore.

Blaze
04-04-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm cool with just hanging around Baltimore, I'm like 4 blocks away from the convention center, I think that would be a better idea for a place to meet, and besides you can't miss a group of people hanging out in front of the convention center the thursday beforehand anyways. I'm not too keen on what the plans are here ::been working alot::...just have a time sorted out.

SeymourMother
04-04-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm coll with just hanging out at Inner Harbor in costume LOL now that be funny ^^

Sciguy
04-06-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm down wit that, yo! I hope that my Miroku costume won't be too hot in Baltimore in the middle of summer, lol. Eh, I could aways take off the robe and stuff it in my bookbag.

Anywho, that'd be pretty nifty!

SeymourMother
04-06-2003, 09:26 PM
^^ I know ppl are gonna stare but I think we should get a group pic in costume at Inner Harbor.

Schala
04-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey everyone, I'm Sami's marine biologist friend. :D Like she mentioned, I would definitely love to go to the aquarium (we don't have one here!), but if it doesn't work out, I'm fine with doing pretty much anything else that day. I've never been to Baltimore (or the US for that matter) before, so anything will be exciting for me. ^_~

Yay fishies! Don't mind me, I'm a little too excited. :p

Edited because I can't spell.

SeymourMother
04-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Depends on how much it is to the aquarium.

Kellie
04-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Schala - Anna Cocoa Banana!! weee! :D Off topicness ... [/random]

SeymourMother
04-07-2003, 10:58 AM
LOL if you really wanna get random goto the Off Topic...cus I can thread.

Schala
04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Kellie-bean! :D

Heh, I do actually have something on-topic to say. For those of you who have been to the aquarium before, what sort of animals do they have? LOL duh, I mean, I know they have fish ^_~, but do they have anything else? Just curious! Even if it's just fish, I'm a happy girl!

Kellie
04-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Last time I was there, there were dolphins, starfish, sharks, walruses, sea urchins, an aray of fish galore and lots more.

Schala
04-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Dolphins!!! ^___^ Eeee, I'm even more excited now, if that's possible! Thanks Kellie!

Do you think it will take most of the afternoon to do the aquarium? Is the plan right now to go to the aquarium and then go for dinner or something?

Sami
04-07-2003, 06:41 PM
That's what I'd like to do so far.. maybe hang around the Harbor a bit if we have time after the Aquarium.

But the dinner is Al's thing, so I'll leave that to him. ^_-

ainslye
04-07-2003, 07:48 PM
The aquarium is pretty big.. it took me all afternoon/early evening to go through it, but at $14 a ticket it had *better* take all day. Tickets include the dolphin show, too. I'll sit this one out, I've been to the aquarium a lot.

Kellie
04-07-2003, 09:24 PM
To see everything will take most of the afternoon. We could certainly drop by Harbor place or Hard Rock for dinner. If we go to the Harbor Place (the shops by the harbor) there's a cafe-style area where you can get all different types of food. They have good food and its not as expensive as the Hard Rock Cafe. Depends on what people want to eat and how much they're willing to pay.