PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay.com identifier for cons

Koumori
03-10-2003, 10:27 AM
It's come up a few times in various con threads that members of cosplay.com would like a way to identify each other at cons. So far the most popular suggestion seems to be to place an orange dot (sticker, highlighter, marker, crayon, whatever) in a corner of your badge. I'll be doing this at my cons this year - hope it catches on!

Zelly
03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
I think we should have printable badges like COSP-ML(I think?) does. They'd probably be more noticeable and easier to see. ^_^;

Rosiel
03-10-2003, 10:51 AM
> I think we should have printable badges like COSP-ML(I think?) does

I don't know... do we really want a collection of colourful badges detracting from our costumes? ^__^

Although, my opinion shouldn't count, as I generally obfuscate even the convention badge, since it looks bad on pictures.

KuroBara
03-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Why an orange dot? I would think a purple dot / ribbon would be more appropriate, given the site design. Or is purple taken by another group?

>obfuscate

Wow, I've learned a new word, thank you. I drove I-Con security nuts last year by keeping my badge and ribbon on my bag, not me. Sadly, since my staff rank has increased this year, I've been told specifically to keep it visible on my person.

kitty_neko
03-10-2003, 11:23 AM
cosplay.com badges or marking the original badge are good ideas, but i almost NEVER wear the con badge, so it probably wouldnt be any different...
i only wear it to get into the dealers room and places, although ive gotten in without it before....^_^;;

Koumori
03-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by KuroBara
Why an orange dot? I would think a purple dot / ribbon would be more appropriate, given the site design. Or is purple taken by another group?

I believe orange was chosen because it's a bright color visible from a reasonable distance, and in opening this thread I stuck with it since it had been discussed on a couple of different con threads. I would prefer something on the con badge, since I don't want to be putting any more stickers/ribbons on my costume than necessary. :)

Babbit_Chan
03-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I think a dot would be better, since it's more on your costume. Aside from that, I've got a Method:Cosplay badge to wear so three badges x_X Yeah I just don't know about that.

RyuHayabusaDOA2
03-10-2003, 02:17 PM
hmm..I'm down with the orange dot idea..specially at Fanime and AX :D

Caryn
03-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Yeah, the orange dot sounds like the best idea. I don't wanna be wearing any more badges than I have to :\

Hikaruchan
03-10-2003, 06:40 PM
And something really bright like day-glo orange would even hopefully stand out to people with cruddy eyesight, like me. Small badges and duller colored stickers wouldn't register well unless close, but a bright dot on badge should show up better from a distance.

Sami
03-10-2003, 06:53 PM
I like the orange dot idea! ^___^

And yeah, the less badges the better, easier to keep track of and stuff. ^^

Michi
03-10-2003, 06:58 PM
I think bright highlighter orange stickers can be bought at like.. office/school supply stores and whatnot.. if I'm not thinking of something completely different. X_x;

Mink
03-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Im down with the dot...though can we maybe remind people? Like make a sticky a few days before a con in that posting area? Because Im lame and I will forget...and its always good to remind people!

RyuHayabusaDOA2
03-11-2003, 02:35 PM
and speaking of which, I'll be doing a gathering of sorts for Fanime and cosplay.com people at AX by the poolside at the westin hotel. I'm shooting it for friday morning/early afternoon and I'll be wearing my orange dot on my badge as well :D

Yui
03-12-2003, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I obscure my badge quite well, too. I'm with Rosiel on this...don't want to mess up potentially otherwise-nice photos, you know. And I'm also agreeing with kitty_neko that a badge is just for getting into the dealers' room basically (if -that-)...I may stop getting badges all together and just hall-cosplay.
Besides, do I really want people to connect me to the board? Hehe...it's bad enough so many already do.

I still think the best way to meet up with cp.com people is to show up to the pre-con night gatherings or the offical photo shoot or just join a big series group with lots of other people from here. I guess I just don't see why we have to track each other down in the halls randomly. Are secret handshakes next? ^_-

SyntaxGlitch
03-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Ooh, yeah! A seeeekret handshake! That's a great idea!

And we can, y'know, have secret passphrases and code names! We can be like the Illuminati or something. That'd be sw33t!

:D

Michi
03-12-2003, 06:23 AM
We COULD use a purple dot to match the site if it was like... really painfully bright neon purple. :O

But um.

I think the Cosplay.com gatherings/photoshoots are good enough to meet each other. o_o; We all have galleries and usually post our costume plans! I dunno if it'd be that hard to find each other if we REALLY wanted. XD;

...Aren't codenames what most of our usernames are, anyway? Very few of us use our real names here. :X

Koumori
03-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Michi

I think the Cosplay.com gatherings/photoshoots are good enough to meet each other. o_o; We all have galleries and usually post our costume plans! I dunno if it'd be that hard to find each other if we REALLY wanted. XD;

Of course any identifier would be optional. :) I'll try the dot at my next few cons, myself, and see what happens!

Caryn
03-12-2003, 08:01 AM
I still think the best way to meet up with cp.com people is to show up to the pre-con night gatherings or the offical photo shoot or just join a big series group with lots of other people from here. I guess I just don't see why we have to track each other down in the halls randomly. Are secret handshakes next? ^_-
Well see, the problem with me is that I'm too young to go to those night parties/gatherings, as my parents wouldn't be too keen on me going to them with people up to 7 years older than me hanging out...so finding people in the hallways and meeting up is really the only way I'll be able to find cosplay.com people who aren't in my photoshoot/cosplay groups.

Michi
03-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Do your parents accompany you to cons, Caryn? A big group gathering in the hallway is usually how these photoshoots are done, so I don't think it would be a problem for you to participate.. Would it?

Zelly
03-12-2003, 10:47 AM
hmm...maybe we could use bright orange stickers and write our cosplay.com names on them? ^^; and stick them on our con badge somewhere? since the picture on the badge isn't really important anyway :PPP that way we'd know who we are from cosplay.com and it wouldn't be another extra thing to wear annoyingly ^^;

Miroku
03-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Do you guys think that orange dot idea will really work? I mean, are you going to walk around all day looking for an orange dot on peoples badges? Especially at an anime convention where there are more anime/manga costumes.

Caryn
03-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Sheesh, you guys make it sound like we're going to be running around hunting people with orange stickers down and ignoring the events at the con. If I see someone with an orange dot while I'm hanging out at the con, I'll say hi and ask who they are on here. It's not a huge deal, it's just an orange sticker ^^

Babbit_Chan
03-12-2003, 01:28 PM
It's just a dot to say you've joined/post at Cosplay.com. I'm kinda with Caryn - no one said we'd be flat out looking for other memebrs. If you see the dot, it'd just be nice to chat =D

rpd_girl
03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
cute idea. although... sometimes I'd rather be heard and not seen. >.< but hey... i'll see.
I'll show you my dot if you show me yours.

:skidude2:

Yui
03-12-2003, 04:01 PM
You know, usually, I don't talk to just everyone, even if I do recognize them from here. If there's an awesome costume that I really appreciate, that's when I go and strike a conversation, which I always ask them if they're on here...which is just easier than handing out all the e-mail info and such. (And I got a lot of new members to join just from last Katsucon.)

But, I'm not saying you shouldn't try the dot thing. Especially at the non-major cons, people are going to be harder to locate. It's just for people like me, the badge thing would just simply not be seen. And since we all typically do post our costume plans for each con, we're already stalking down each other based on costume, not just a dot. (But then I personally have a problem even finding people with huge, very obvious costumes that I'm supposed to be meeting at a certain place anyway...I'm extremely unobservant/distracted at cons.)
I'll just walk through the halls singing the cp.com anthem or something. We could all get two-way radios? ^_^*

RyuHayabusaDOA2
03-12-2003, 04:14 PM
two-way radios? hmm..that could work as well :D

Caryn
03-12-2003, 04:19 PM
I'll just walk through the halls singing the cp.com anthem or something. We could all get two-way radios? ^_^*
LOL! We have an anthem? :p I wonder what it'd sound like if we did.... I have some two-way radios...we could all set ours to the same channel, but you know how crowded it'd be with ALL these members trying to talk? lol. ^^

Koumori
03-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Hey, if you want to use a dot, do. If you don't, or prefer not to identify yourself that way, or prefer a different way of meeting up with board people, don't. It was just a suggestion. :)

psythe
03-13-2003, 08:27 AM
I like the dot idea. Just put a big dot sticker on your con badge, both sides preferably as you can never keep the dang thing facing the right way X_x

I'll be doing this for the rest of my cons this year. Big Bright Orange sticker it is!

Beats writing "I surf cosplay.com" on your forehead, neh? :D

Michi
03-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Hey, I think writing "I surf cosplay.com" on our foreheads is cooler than some dot. XO

Okay I'll shut up now. *runs*

psythe
03-13-2003, 09:04 AM
LOL Michi XD!

TheAnarCHris
03-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Two way radios? If I wanted usless chat, I'd get AOL.

Anywho, yeah put me up for another vote for the dot. Or if u see a Gene Starwind at any NY area con that's over 6' foot, just assume it's me, coz there's like 3 of us in existence.......

venus2869
03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
If memory serves me right, Admin tackled this issue when I proposed it for Anime Central.(check the ACen thread for it)

Cosplay.com is in the progress of making an "official" badge to wear at cons & gatherings. It should be in the store section, as soon as they get it running. They will also have t-shirts and other items there as well.

Yui
03-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I didn't like that badge idea before if I remember me correctly. (Again because I simply hide the silly thing as if it were some feminine product or something O_o*) However, I have since thought that it would be quite a useful thing if it served as sufficient I.D. for various other con needs (i.e. in pre-reg lines, to sign in AX's j-rock events, to show waffly Katsucon security 'maturity' regarding prop issues) Anyway, if it did have additional functions, I probably would get one.

Uh, I'd do the forehead grafitti thing with ya but that'd probably be obscured as well most times. So...I'll get to work on our theme song, yes?