PDA

View Full Version : Original Character Cosplay?

X affinity
08-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I want to know what you think of this. .idea I had. .

I adore my original characters and would adore cosplaying as them. .I know that no one will recognize them. .obviously, but given that my character costumes tend to be somewhat outlandish anyway, I'm sure I'd have at least a few people asking me, "Oh, who are you cosplaying as?"

(Assuming that nobody is smart enough to call my bluff and scream out in the middle of the convention, "You faker! Remove yourself from the cosplaying world!")

Anyway, if someone does ask me who I am, would it be awful of me to offer them a small flyer with a short character bio and a drawing of him? ^.^ Just so I wouldn't have to explain to every single person (and okay, I admit I like showing off a little x3).

Thank you for looking at my question!

Camion
08-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah, sure, that's not a bad idea.

I like making original costumes too. To some people cosplay is just literally costume play - making costumes... however some people only think making costumes of existing characters is cosplay but ehh... whatever tickles your fancy.

Mich
08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Well my Purple Faerie was my first original costume, and I'm going to start another( Goth, Vamp warrior) soon, for October Expo...
It's quite refreshing to make something that's completely your own design sometimes...

Prince Ann
08-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I won first place at a public 'con' if you could even call it that., with an origanal of mine. Actully I think its my current display picture.

Usachan
08-10-2006, 11:43 PM
If I may add my two cents into this as well, my Chi dress is pretty
original. There's something about the color and the frills and the
way it moves whenever I walk. 2 weeks and I get to strut my stuff
in it. I might like it so much, I'll try wearing it each time me and my
friends have Anime Night or when I expose them to watch Chobits.

JiggyJigen
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Yeah me and some friends do our own characters. Since I used to write novel-length fanfic for stuff from marvel comics and such, I plan on making some of my OCs and then I have stuff like my anthro characters and my satyr guy...and i wanna make a costume for a character called Emu Boy (a pun of emo boy of course).....lol

Rikku-chan
08-16-2006, 09:36 AM
well I remember at ACEN 06, there was a girl who had made her own original Kingdom Hearts character and was cosplaying as her!! she had a whole story for the character and the character's relationships with the main characters in the game!! it was pretty cool! haha!! I think cosplaying an original character is really awesome and should be done a little more often!! plus...it would TOTALLY be fun to strut your stuff in a self-designed costume and really call it YOUR work!! =D

Technetium
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with cosplaying original characters. As long as your costume looks good, most people won't care who you dress up as. My friends and I have done it a few times at Fanime, and we had a lot of fun. Every now and then people would ask who we are or take a picture. At Fanime 99, I met a girl who was cosplaying an original character, Celtic Moon. I actually recognized it, because her drawing was published in Smile magazine not long before that. o.o

Phantom Pirate
08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I do my own character- my Pirate Queen alter ego. Original characters are fun, because there's no expectations about how good it should look- because you're the one that created it!

djaxle
08-16-2006, 08:23 PM
I would like to get the uniform together for my flavour of Star Trek, which I created through writing fan fic, however I lack sewing skills.

Moonlit Child
08-17-2006, 09:47 AM
That's a great idea. Actually, my best friend and I will be doing something similiar possibly as soon as next year cosplaying characters from the zombie/survival horror movie I'm writing as a form of at-con promotion. The idea, more or less is to look like random survivors of a zombie apocalypse and have people ask us which survival horror game/movie we're from and then pitch the movie a little.

Captain Gundam
08-18-2006, 01:38 AM
<----- points to avatar

I've done my character and i enjoyed it. You have to put in the effort to be noticed. Either by making a bio page or just getting pic with other cosplayers in your costume.

X affinity
08-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Ooh, people have such interesting and lovely characters 9_9 Thanks again for your feedback everyone!

Winter Divinity
08-18-2006, 02:52 AM
I want to cosplay an original character. I have so many ideas, but I'm not brave enough to ink/color any of my art to show off as a reference. I would use photoshop, but then that takes away a lot of sewing time, so yeeeahh. But, does EGL count as original cosplay?

Insignificant
08-26-2006, 01:24 AM
XD I think it would be cool for you to do that, you seem to like roleplaying. So long as you don't mind people not knowing who you are until you hand out a little paper (you're cute x33) I say go for it! I'd like to see an original character x33;;;