PDA

View Full Version : Searching For Performers!

Nuwanda
08-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Not sure how many people at Connecticon 2006 saw the Cosplay Musical, but we'll be doing it again next year and we're starting early. As in a lot of it is written now. Last year we had about a month to prepare. This year will be different.

Anyway, we're looking for performers. We have one role in particular that I am very eager to fill. It can be a guy or girl, but needs to be tenor vocally. But that's just one of the parts. We're still writing it and it will be a constantly evolving thing over the next year. So if anyone is interested, let me know and we can work with it.

My name is Chris. Feel free to add a message to this forum, private message me, or email/im me. The email is nuwandasnicket13@hotmail.com and the screen name is KowTowToMe1st

Thanks, and I hope to be hearing from you!

Michieru
08-11-2006, 11:00 PM
if no one can help you, please let me know. I may not be well in Tenor, but I do have experience with Bass and Baritone (heh) But I"ll be glad to help out.

Gale
08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Its not actually singing. Its more of a dance/comedy show where you act out a skit as the character of your choice to the music (with vocals) of Broadway shows. Even if we do edit and sing our own, there's a good chance we'll try to pre-record, and I think if we do it on the main state (not definate, if even likely, but we're still crossing our fingers) so don't worry. And if we do sing our own stuff without pre-recording, I'm sure there'll be the option of having vocal recording behind you so you don't have to sing.

SillyLilNeko
08-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey ill join! Im up for it. :D

Nuwanda
08-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Its not actually singing. Its more of a dance/comedy show where you act out a skit as the character of your choice to the music (with vocals) of Broadway shows. Even if we do edit and sing our own, there's a good chance we'll try to pre-record, and I think if we do it on the main state (not definate, if even likely, but we're still crossing our fingers) so don't worry. And if we do sing our own stuff without pre-recording, I'm sure there'll be the option of having vocal recording behind you so you don't have to sing.

We're actually supposed to be doing most of our own singing this year. But I know we'll be needing ensemble people and/or character roles, so if people are worried about not being able to sing, don't. Right now we don't need to deal with that. Now we just need to find people who want to do this and are enthusiastic (please? Too much to ask?^^).

Tangent done for the morning.

Gale
08-17-2006, 11:44 AM
oooh, yay! ^_^ haha, I can be such a stage-whore.

we so need to decide on one central place to post information and stick to it because I keep getting such outdated or mis-information >_>

Hiro_01
08-17-2006, 01:31 PM
singing!? I'm all in for this one! i resently hurd a song from rent and instently thought of Sanzo and Goku, or Goku and Gojyo. Which would be good for me sence i'm going to be pertraying Goku this time around for most of the time. And I can sing well to, or at least i hope i can because i spent most of my school life in music up till softmore year. But last year i took actting, and this year i'm advancing!

Nuwanda
08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes, we really do need one central location to post. That is what I hoped for when I started the myspace group, but then Courtney started the new group, and now we have mad cap crazyness again. *pretends her Rufus costume is finished, slips into character and beans Reno over the head*

Just kidding. Totally not Courtney's fault. I just felt like smacking Reno in a Rufus-esque manner. Btw, wtf is with that game and all the R names? Reno, Rufus, Rude....who was on crack when they created it?

Nuwanda
08-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey ill join! Im up for it. :D

Awesome! You have email or im that we can talk more through?

(That goes for anyone on this chat, by the by.....if you want to give me your screen names, that would be cool. Thanks!^^)

Gale
08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
mmh, we should get a list of emails/aims so we can contact everyone once we have a set home for our discussions.

I'd say we should just start something compleatly new on some forum service that no one has any afiliation to so we don't have the "oooh, I use this site all the time, we should host our discussions here!" "but I hate that site" problem that we've gotten so far with yahoo, myspace, and I'm guessing now MSN too? except the last thing we need is a new location >_>

MemoriesofYuna
08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Alto over here.
Is this in any way related to what I was invited to gale?
<3 Aseret

Gale
08-17-2006, 10:07 PM
um...the thing that was just you me and MysticBlossome? no...and frankly I don't think that will work out this year (we three think too far into the future when it comes to costume contests to coordinate :thumbsup: lol) but I think this will be better since it doesn't have the same pressures as a contest, or the time limits (for individual numbers, at least), and there's the posibility to be in more than one number.

But OMG YOU NEED TO BE IN THIS, lol...of course, Chris...do you know if we're still a Friday time slot, or is that even in the works still?

ilikeyaoi
08-17-2006, 11:38 PM
I sent you a PM, but just to recap for people in the thread:

-I've been in three musicals to date, one lead role (Though...I was playing a man. o.o), one minor role, and one ensemble.
- My range goes from first Soprano down to second Alto (I've been trained in both ranges)
-I can be contacted via PM or AIM (vxvmoonyvxv), but I'm never really on AIM anymore. XD

MemoriesofYuna
08-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Lol can we puh leassee do Show off from the drowsy chaperone?
My voice is perfect for that song. Or any sutton foster really. it would be cool if i had the wicked costumes with me next year as a joke. I just finished one of my ruby red slippers.

Do i need to post a resume or audition? i currently don't have a mic but gale knows what i sound like. Alot of you probably do if you've been to the masqurade since I sing in it every year. i was the princess garnet this year. last year I was the brooklyn that sang and won a best in show. I'm just to lazy to dig my resume and headshot up. XD
<3 Aseret

Gale
08-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Lol can we puh leassee do Show off from the drowsy chaperone?
My voice is perfect for that song. Or any sutton foster really. it would be cool if i had the wicked costumes with me next year as a joke. I just finished one of my ruby red slippers.

=P you beat me to it! arg....*was going to suggest someone do Show Off somewhere* lol...

also, I'm pretty sure its just Anime/Games costumes that we do...or at the least not Broadway....of course, as is common I could be wrong >_>

Nuwanda
08-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Ahhhhhh! Hahaha. Sorry, I just came back like "doo doo dooooooo, let's see if anyone posted" and it's all upsdated and CRAZY! Which is good. We need people.

Now, for responses:

Gale: I am not sure about time slots. Unfortunately. I'm going to talk to Brittney soon, and maybe she'll know, but it may still be too early in the year to figure that out.

I don't know about auditions yet. Really here, at this point, I'm just looking for a group of people who are willing to be in the musical, whether they end up being ensemble or soloists. Because I can't promise anything. We've been getting a lot of new rules from the CTcon officials, and I'm still not really sure how it works. Just speaking as a theatre major, I want this to be really great next year, because I know it can be. So it seemed like a good way to start was to post on a site where people love cosplay and performing.

So I'm sorry I can't promise anyone any particular numbers. That doesn't mean to stop suggesting them. Not at all. It's GREAT that people are suggesting numbers because in my opinion, the more ideas we get out there, the more we have to choose from when the time comes to narrow down the show.

Once I speak to Brittney, hopefully I'll have a little more information for everyone. For the time being, welcome! I'm glad to have you with us!

SillyLilNeko
08-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I can sing and dance wooh im that crazy person everyone wants to watch cause u dont know what ill do next

Gale
08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
So I'm sorry I can't promise anyone any particular numbers. That doesn't mean to stop suggesting them. Not at all. It's GREAT that people are suggesting numbers because in my opinion, the more ideas we get out there, the more we have to choose from when the time comes to narrow down the show.

On that note, YES, please please please keep your suggestions coming, HOWEVER I also want to stress to you all please also don't be discouraged or offended if we CAN'T do your number. We'll try to find a place for you somewhere either way (though if we have auditions, providing you pass them). But all that said, of course keep the ideas flowing! :D We may not be able to use them all, but we can never have too many options ;)

MemoriesofYuna
08-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Any plans on Choriographing these numbers? It was mentioned that they were going to be dancing things but since everyone is so spread out i see problems arising, and it's not like everyone can get to hartford every friday night or anything. I'm trained to be a quick learner but I know that's not the case with everyone. And if theres dance what's the mic situation? Sorry for all the questions, just very curious. =]
I seguest that the entire company do the number "Smelly otaku can't stop the beat" from hairspray.
<3 Aseret

Gale
08-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, we're not starting any REAL planning until October, but there will be dancing and stuff eventually. I dont think anyone is really sure of the legistics of anything yet, especially since the con staff won't touch anything of it while they're still recouperating from this year.

Hiro_01
08-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I have to be in this show, i know a few songs that would work for Goku (Saiyuki) sence i'm sortof sick of cosplaying as Shuichi. The battery costume would suck for dancing in anyway.

As i've said before i've taken choir in my past school life,and i was asked to be in the intermid choir as alto. (i tried out of corse)

but for the middle school and highschool choir i was second saprano (which means singing lower then a saprano, but still in a higher range, though i think you arlready know that)

Nuwanda
08-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, we're not starting any REAL planning until October, but there will be dancing and stuff eventually. I dont think anyone is really sure of the legistics of anything yet, especially since the con staff won't touch anything of it while they're still recouperating from this year.

Well, I disagree. Courtney says we're not starting any real planning, but Courtney isn't really our leader, is she? Brittney is. And as far as what I've spoken to Brittney, everything we've been doing is fine.

Yes, these numbers will be coreographed. Last year they were coreographed, but this year they will be done better. As far as people not being able to make rehearsals, we'll have to figure it out. I'm sure it will be easier as it gets closer to the date, as Gale said. Technology is a wonderful thing. I'm sure there's a way to film dance steps and send the film over the computer. Not preferable, but it would work in a pinch.

Last year we managed to get the dancing done with people located all over the state, and that was with only a month to prepare. True, it didn't look fantastic, but as I said, it was only a month. Think what we can do with a year. Once again, that's another reason I am refusing to follow the order to stop prepping now. To put on a show, you need more time then Courtney wants us to have. Everyone refuses to acknowledge that we need theatre input. Jess should really be more in charge than she is, considering she has mad stage manager/techie credentials. She knows more than any of us about putting on a show. But that's besides the point, and slowing down is out of the question.

Sorry if this was tangential to anyone. I'm a bit irked with this musical situation right now. Not with anyone here, thank God. I'm so happy to have you all interested and proposing ideas!^^

Gale
08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
huh...the October date was from Brit's original e-mail to the yahoo group, but if we can actually get started now, that's awesome. besides, my feeling as always is to start planning with too much and then take what we have and cut it down to the best of the best.

Also, I think this past year was pretty good even so, so I'm really psyched about this year being even better. I mean, if we got what we did done in 1 month think about how much better it will be this time around!

Hiro_01
08-19-2006, 09:41 PM
well if we need a local stage to practious on when the timeing gets near, i could always ask my theater teacher if we can use it. it's a highschool main stage you understand and ten times the size of the last stage. even if i don't get and a number i want to help out some way.

though haveing a highschool stage would mean for most of you to drive to west hartford and back to were you guys all live, so i guss that's out of the question.

ilikeyaoi
08-19-2006, 09:53 PM
I have a few song suggestions, mostly for soloists, some duets:

Anything from the Last Five Years (My love! <3)
Defying Gravity (I'm greedy, so I'd want dibs on this one (if it can fit, I mean). It's so fun to sing. :P)
What is this Feeling, also from Wicked-a fun thing between two characters who hate eachother
Old Maid from 110 in the Shade-It's a beautiful song when done right
Happily Ever After from Once Upon a Mattress
Strongest Suit from Aida-It's just...fun.
Another day from Rent

That's all I have for now...

piccolo13
08-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Hello. I had heard about the Cosplay Musical at last Connecticon (me and my friends were actually supposed to be in it, but then we somehow got left out in the last minute confusion) and hearing that there is going to be another one, even bigger and better than last time sounds great! So me and my friends will gladly help out this year if we are needed!

We primarily do dance-type skits at convention masquerades (but some of us have or will be recieving some vocal training, though I can't promise much there lol). Since you guys wanted to hear some more ideas, there is always the possibilty that my group could do our most recent skit as part of the musical (if it can be fit in anywhere). I think it could work pretty well in a musical because we dressed as the Amazon Trio and performed our own version of "Today 4 U" from the musical Rent.

We also would be happy to assist in anyway we can (for example if background or extra dancers/actors are needed...however, we wouldn't be able to make it up to Hartford all the time so we would need an alternative, such as the previously mentioned choreography video feeds).

I look forward to hearing more developments on this project. Musical theatre and anime = awesome! :skidude2:

Gale
08-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know about solos...With the number of people who want to be in this I really think we should stay away from that sort of thing. I mean, yes Defying Gravity is an AWESOME song but its only two characters. I don't know what the rest of the group is going to say about this, but I think we want to try to get as many of the numbers as we can to be ensemble ones.

ilikeyaoi
08-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, just making some suggestions off the top of my head.

Adara
08-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Well, keep in mind that this year there will be an ACTUAL SCRIPT, with numbers that make sense in the plotline. There won't just be a bunch of individual songs like there was this year. Of couse, this plotline is not in existence at the moment, so there's nothing anyone can really say about what will and will not fit. Keep the ideas rolling, though, the more, the better!

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'm sure there's a way to film dance steps and send the film over the computer. Not preferable, but it would work in a pinch.

Haha, yeah. Rain and I actually did that this year with my webcam to help learn "I Hope I Get It" (the opening number with the DDRing, for those of you who don't remember the song) and it was really helpful to look back on for a reference when I was practicing by myself. If someone can only make it to a few rehearsals, something like that would probably be a really good idea.

Gale
08-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Mmh, another thing I'd like to mention of an idea we're throwing around is borrowing costumes from each other for the duration of the musical (though you BETTER take good care of them if we do such a thing) so don't feel limited by the costumes you have. If we cut the number with the only character you have a costume for, no sweat, that DOES NOT mean you won't be in the show this year. We'll try our darndest to accomadate everyone we can.

Hiro_01
08-24-2006, 12:33 PM
well if there's any costume changes going on, we should hear about that for the people who have to wear wigs. I mean i have a Shindou wig, and it's so hard to put on. so i'd rather stay away from that costume.

does songs from artests count? I know a good few songs that can realate to a few animes, but i don't really go to musicals, the only few musicals i've seen are the Tewnty Fifth National Spelling Bee, Hair Spray, Lion King, and Peter Pan.

Gale
08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I think we want to stick with musical music as much as possible, but if something is really really great and works an exception MIGHT be made. Of course, with so many people involved there's a lot more we can draw from. Keep your ideas coming, but know that likely you'll be preforming someone else's number (whether or not your own gets through too).

As for costume changes, those in charge have already said they want to restrict them to a maximum of two MAYBE three with at least two numbers between for the costume change. That should be plenty of time to change wigs, though I know if I wear a wig I'll do that character first if possible and the wigless one second, but we'll see.

Hiro_01
08-25-2006, 10:37 AM
i don't mind if i do someone's number as long as i get to stay in character and know who the character is, that's my only problem. I have to know the roal to play it, but if i practious at it, then i may have a good chance. I'm going to see a musical again in April hopefully it wont be on the same day as anime boston.

Gale
08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, I think that's how everyone feels. No one wants to play a character, or make someone play a character, that they can't do justice because they don't know them. That's the character you're cosplaying though, you know. The characters in the songs are nonexistant as far as we're concerned; its the situations that the songs present, we provide our own characters and witty twists ;)

Hiro_01
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, I think that's how everyone feels. No one wants to play a character, or make someone play a character, that they can't do justice because they don't know them. That's the character you're cosplaying though, you know. The characters in the songs are nonexistant as far as we're concerned; its the situations that the songs present, we provide our own characters and witty twists ;)

yes i'm well aware of that my dear ^^ i've been matching songs with character personilitys for a long time. It's fun, but the thought of haveing a musical sort of freaked me out last time, but now that i know it's not as scarry as it sounds, i so wana give it a shot.

sorry guys i have a change of custome, i'm no longer going to play Goku, but i'm going to be the main character from Host club, the girl, Yes i'm playing a women. But i can also cosplay as Shuichi again if you need one. I have a good song for him, but it wont be from a musical.

Gale
09-01-2006, 09:43 AM
don't be sorry, its not like we have anything set yet. there's still plenty of time to work characters into skits since we don't even have any set skits yet. calm down lol ;) and we do want to try to keep this to musical songs. The only reason we did Madonna's "Like A Virgin" last year was because her version was easier to addapt to our liking than the Moulin Rouge version. I'd honestly say really try to hesitate from non-musical songs.

Mystic Blossom
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
I can't wait to get started on this. I will hopefully be hosting again next year, as that was probably the most fun I've ever had at a cosplay event. ^_^

Hiro_01
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
when and where is the auditions takeing place?

can there be shonen-ai in it?