PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts cosplay questions...

_jedi
08-03-2006, 12:46 PM
My friend and her sister are planning on doing Kairi and Sora for next years AX. We're getting everything done WAY in advance this year so that we're not all working until the night before and stuff.
So I was wondering, does anyone have any patterns or suggestion for Kairi's dress and Sora... well, everything? Cause she's freaking (^^) about all the "strappy things" on Sora's costume and we all kinda agree that Kairi's looks difficult.
And, on another note, I recently made an Organization XIII coat for Axel, but after wearing it for three days I noticed some flaws in the coat itself. For one, the sleeves attach to the body too far down the rib cage, making it hard to raise my arms without pulling to whole coat out of... style. And the back needs to be pulled in without making a fold on the bottom half. I'm afraid to mess with it in case I ruin it, so does anyone have any "tailoring" advice? Or think I could actually take it in to a tailor to fix?
Any help would be appreciated! Thatnk you!

Cora
08-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Can't help you out with Sora, unfortunately (not something I ever plan to make, unless my younger brother whines at me enough next year XD although he'd rather be Roxas). But for Kairi, I was talking it over with a friend of mine who is also working on her dress. Basically just find a pattern for a simple dress with the same shape as hers (shouldn't be too hard to find), and modifying it by adding in the zippers and undershirt with hood shouldn't be too hard.

sewingpatterns.com (http://www.sewingpatterns.com/simplicity-patterns.html) - this is my favorite online resource for patterns because they've got most of patterns from all of the big-name brands, and a whole bunch of others, online, so if you're just browsing you don't have to make a special trip to the store. Check out the "dresses" section of Simplicty, Butterick, etc. and you can probably find something that will be easy to work with ^^

For your Axel coat...I'm not great at tailoring myself, so I don't know what to do about your sleeves. I'm not sure what you mean by "pulled in" in the back, but what you can do is sew behind the seam that you want to pull in, to make it smaller...if that makes any sense ^^;; I'm not great with explaining sewing techniques.

akewataru
08-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm in the same boat with you for Sora's costume. Like Cora said, my only reccomendation for Sora's costume is to buy a zipup-hoody pattern at your local fabric store and change it to meet Sora's appearance.

Since you're starting so early in advance, I highly suggest you make a mock-costume or a practice costume. That's what I did, and I've never been so grateful to spend a little extra time on a practice before. Sora's costume is a little complicated, and making a practice costume with cheap fabric will save you any grief with the final, especially if the final costume is made with uber-expensive fabric.

Cora
08-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh yes, I second doing the mock-up costume. Buy yourself some muslin, it goes for like, $1/yard, sometimes less if you use a coupon or go on the right day. It's basically what cheap bedsheets are made out of. Easy to work with. Use that to test out your ideas on. Get a marker and draw right on the fabric and sew and alter and cut and sew and alter and cut and test your little heart out until you get it to be the shape you want ^^ I made a muslin mock-up of my Orgy coat before I worked with $8/yard pleather.

The best part about muslin, though is that if your pieces aren't totally trashed by the end of your experimenting, you can take it apart, iron out the pieces, and use them as patterns :D just be sure to label each piece.

_jedi
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks, guys. :D
The muslin plan will probably be what we end up doing. I've looked at a few of tha patterns from that site, Cora, and I think I can figure out Kairi's dress eashely.
And the "sew behind the seam" thing actually makes plenty of sense. ^^^ I'm gonna pin it and see if it's any better.
The only thing I think that's /really/ going to get us stuck is Sora paaaaants. @_x How do you make a shorts pattern?!

Cora
08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
You could probably find a standard shorts pattern and modify, I can't imagine it being that hard :D A lot of people use things called Chaps for Sora's pants ('cause I guess that's what they are). Unfortunately I don't know anything about chaps, much less making them XD so I can't really help on that department. There may be a couple threads around that can hopefully give you more info ^^

Jantra
08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
_Jedi - I have done Anti-Sora complete with every single stupid buckle and strap on that costume.

I used pleather for mine... it kept the right look and was easy enough to cut. If you need help - drop me a PM.

ookami-chan
08-21-2006, 11:31 AM
For my Kairi, I used Simplicity 5052. The pattern works really well, because it has three seams in the front that are perfect for the three zippers on Kairi's dress. You only have to modify the pattern at bit.

I used only the patterns for the waist area, since the patterns for the bust area wouldn't work out if you were to try to go in later and put on zippers. I just extended the pattern pieces by a few inches so that it would be a full dress. I made a mock-up first before I even started on the pink fabric. When you're modifying a pattern to that extent, its highly advisable that you practice first on some crap muslim fabric! I went through quite a few failed attempts before I got it right.

I also modified the seams a bit so they were a little further apart. In the original pattern, the seams are awfully close together.

As for Sora--I can't help you there. I'm working on my own Sora project soon.

Hope this helps.