PDA

View Full Version : Photo's & poses

SharinganTanaka
08-05-2006, 02:28 PM
As a photographer, do you get dissapointed if a photo doesn't turn out to look so well because of the cosplayer?

I am asking this because I am very uncomfortable in front of camera's and that shows on the pictures.

Now as someone who is making these cosplay pictures; you're doing it because you really like the costumes. But what if the costume doesn't turn out right on the photo's on acount of the cosplayer standing unflattering. Or standing just that way that covers your favourite part of the costume.

Does this annoy you a lot? Would you rather have cosplayers to stand in certain poses that are costum for the character they play, or follow your instructions for a certain pose, or maybe just stand whichever way they want? :confused:

Sarcasm-hime
08-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know how photographers feel about it, but as a cosplayer I am very happy when photographers tell me if a pose isn't working, or if the angle is bad, or if there's something distracting in the background, instead of just shooting away and ending up with bad pictures. So I would encourage photographers to give some instruction to cosplayers, especially in a photoshoot situation. Of course instructions should be polite and tasteful, i.e. no "show your panties" or anything like that.

When you're just snapping photos in the halls, maybe just let the person know if there might be a better background a few steps away, or that their pose would look better from a different angle...but there isn't usually a lot of time for instructions and such.

djaxle
08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
As a photographer who has done one photoshoot with cosplayers the best advise I can give is let the cosplayers whom you are shooting setup their poses, and just keep shooting. If a pose doesn't work you can always not use it in the final cut of the set to give or show.

The joys of digital allows you to shoot as much as your memory card can hold. Let the players be themselves, have fun, and you (the photographer) just let them do it, watch for light, good angles, and the such like.

*Shiva*
08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't know about photographers, but as a cosplayer I am very happy when photographers tell me if a pose isn't working, or if the angle is bad, or if there's something distracting in the background, instead of just shooting away and ending up with bad pictures.
Agreed - when I do my own self-timed photos, I have the luxury of being able to check each one and tweak the pose, make sure its working, etc. But when I'm in front of a photographer, I have to trust them to tell me what's going on. There's nothing more nervewracking for a cosplayer than a silent photographer. The good ones will tell you if moving a hand or a foot will improve the shot, or if something is unflattering.

staereo
08-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Agreed - when I do my own self-timed photos, I have the luxury of being able to check each one and tweak the pose, make sure its working, etc. But when I'm in front of a photographer, I have to trust them to tell me what's going on. There's nothing more nervewracking for a cosplayer than a silent photographer. The good ones will tell you if moving a hand or a foot will improve the shot, or if something is unflattering.

LOL... Glad I dont irritate people. Sometimes I think I get a little too involved. It all depends if an idea strikes me and I get inspired... Models are used to this, cosplayers sometimes are not.

Bruce

hell-rider
08-06-2006, 01:41 PM
if they cannot pose, try different angle
http://helldigitalimaging.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/35
http://helldigitalimaging.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/9,
or try some candid shot for natural expression
http://helldigitalimaging.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/269
http://helldigitalimaging.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/291
http://helldigitalimaging.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/53

SharinganTanaka
08-06-2006, 03:19 PM
But the problem with some cosplayers is that they don't like to be taken pictures of when they are unaware. That is why there are always a few topics about proper behavior on cons that point out multiple times to ASK for permission.

A lot of those pictures turn out great, but perhaps cosplayers are still afraid that they don't or that they are doing something unflattering at the moment when a picture is taken.

djaxle
08-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Permission is always key. I haven't had a problem in the past doing candid work, most people would just ask me to delete the frame, although if I was shooting film, it would be more difficult, I would just promise to to show the image around and keep it in the archives.

As for some poses here's some from my only cosplay photoshoot. We used the Guild Inn ruins as a backdrop. For the most part I let the two do what they wanted, only a few I posed.

http://alcsnet.com/luyckx_tk/photos/ua06/images/ua02.jpg
http://alcsnet.com/luyckx_tk/photos/ua06/images/ua10.jpg
http://alcsnet.com/luyckx_tk/photos/ua06/images/ua12.jpg
http://alcsnet.com/luyckx_tk/photos/ua06/images/ua13.jpg
http://alcsnet.com/luyckx_tk/photos/ua06/images/ua16.jpg

Trelyon
08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
As a photographer, do you get dissapointed if a photo doesn't turn out to look so well because of the cosplayer?

I am asking this because I am very uncomfortable in front of camera's and that shows on the pictures.

hallo, hoe gaat het?

photographer and cosplayer are both visual artists... so i'm never disappointed... i have high expectations and great admiration of cosplayers... in crafting (or commissioning) great costume... be it... simplistic or elaborate.

as an otaku... i know 'enuf' about the anime/game/movie to be able to request various signature poses from the "characters"... if i don't... i just ask the cosplayer... let say... someone is cosplaying as Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi... they 'should' know a few classic poses from the anime

guess... you could try to think of something fun or silly so you won't be as uncomfortable in front of the camera... once i posed a cross-dressing Cloud giving basket of flowers to Hades... have fun and it'll show... oh and your Suigin Tou is awesome

most importantly we "the photographer" are awared that most cosplayers are not model... so anyone who ever show dissapointment or annoyance... is [EDITED:] not a nice person... their opinion should be ignored... and be given... a Boot to the Head!

Ollie
08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
There's a lot that can go wrong in a photograph. Bad settings, incorrect focus, hot spots (light), etc. It's usually no big deal; most people take many photos and will have another that's better. That being said, yes, posing is very important for cosplayers. The rigid deer-in-headlights look is horrible. Almost anything else is better.

Cosplayers ought to look around at reference pics of their character and see what poses they have. Or just anything somewhat dynamic is fine, such as leaning on a wall, pointing at something, or making an expression. There's a lot of tips out there for professional models. Just spending an hour looking around through links found through google will probably help a lot.

For photographers, they need to learn these same general poses, and then how best to explain the pose to them. After a while, it becomes second nature. Just don't ever touch a cosplayer without their permission. if I think positioning them myself would be easiest, I always keep an inch or two away from them. There's no contact, but they get the idea right away.

djaxle
08-08-2006, 07:49 AM
most importantly we "the photographer" are awared that most cosplayers are not model... so anyone who ever show dissapointment or annoyance... is [EDITED:] not a nice person... their opinion should be ignored... and be given... a Boot to the Head!

Agreed!

Photorusse
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I think the key is to get the cosplayer as comfortable as possible. Chit-chat, talk about the convention, the weather, the costume, anything that will break the ice. Practice some poses first and talk about what works and doesn't work. I usually tell the model that if something goes wrong, it's my fault, i.e. lighting, vague instructions, focus...

DisposblAssassn
08-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Being horrible at finding poses for myself, I love it when a photographer gives me some direction. Touching me would certainly be a little awkward so none of that with out asking, but I'd definitely prefer it if they'd give me at least a little direction if the have it in them.

NecroticNymph
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I definitely prefer it when a photographer poses me. Before a con, I usually stand in front of a giant mirror and practice in-character poses that show off good parts of the costume, as well as reflect the character's attitude, though, to get a feel for it. It was really funny when this one guy came over and asked for my picture, then asked me to put the sword on my back (it's hard to walk with it on like that, so I usually take it off), then he re-positioned my hat and pretty much posed me. I was just like, "Okie, just tell me what to do." And the picture came out great (at least, what I saw on his digital camera).

Photorusse
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Being horrible at finding poses for myself, I love it when a photographer gives me some direction. Touching me would certainly be a little awkward so none of that with out asking, but I'd definitely prefer it if they'd give me at least a little direction if the have it in them.

No touchy feely! I usually give verbal direction or even pose myself, it gets the direction across, it's hilarious, and it helps keep the mood light.

djaxle
08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
I'll only touch the subject if I know them well and we share a mutual trust. Just some random person...no, no touchy.

Freight
08-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd say be nice.

Take a pic of the cosplayer's pose, and then ask for one more of your own. It gives them proper respect, and also gives them a chance to see what you may see.

If you have a digital camera, take the time to show them the two pics. Sometimes, cosplayers love what you do for them.

Nyoko
08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
as a cosplayer I would have to agree, I would love to have the photographer poses me, as I sometimes let how Im really feeling or somthing slip if Im not kept in check (more so with very diffacult costumes/ uncomfy costumes), and to have someone say something to me would really help, that way I can get good photos of my costumes rather then a silent photographer walking away with a bad photo thats for sure.
so ya I really thing that photographers should not feel really strange or something is giving advice on a pose, and mabe if they wanna help someone with a pose and don't know the chracter, maybe start up a conversation about the character to kinda understand what there like.

pedicuregirl
08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I would say...just get a really good shot...to be natural. Have fun..laugh and try different things. Also..timing as the photographer is key.

Usachan
08-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Come Con season is officially starting up for me, and that means
pictures. I never know what to expect if people want me to be
posing or not. Sometimes I feel a little uneasy with posing just
cuz I try to stand natural, sometimes if it's with a group or one
friend(s) I feel I can pose. Other than that, I don't really pose.

However if someone wanted me to do so, I think I would for them.