PDA

View Full Version : Reading Japanese...can YOU do it?

baku_neko
03-11-2003, 11:56 AM
So, how well do you understand the offical manga/anime language?

krystal1314
03-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Heh.. I *wish* I could read Japanese... that's why I'm gonna be taking it in college, lol ^_^
I almost bought the Battle Royale book until my friend reminded me that I couldn't read Japanese :thumbsup:

cyankirby
03-11-2003, 06:45 PM
I'd like to learn japanese but at this rate I'll be 80 before I can say one sentence! It doesn't fit into my college schedule. If I find something in japanese I look at the pictures and hope that I'm following the story all right.

animeandska
03-11-2003, 07:11 PM
I know hiragana and I know a bit of Katakana- I don't know what most words mean but I know what they sound like- I know about 3 kanji characters also and some things.. thats about it thogh-

jen_kat
03-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Learn new stuff every time I read. I always go "Oh so that's what they were saying! I didn't get that last time!"

I hope taking Japanese when I go to college will be more helpful to me than what I'm taking now... -_-

chibi_kitsune
03-11-2003, 10:20 PM
I can read some japanese, mostly Hiragana characters, but i don't always understand it. Soon i'll taking japanese in college (i hope).

Michi
03-12-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm in the middle of the first two. ^_^; Your poll doesn't have enough options. :P I'm not fluent, but I can read and speak it.. yeah. I know hiragana, katakana, and probably no more than 50 kanji. I took a class once but it didn't do me any good since I knew it all already. x_x; I might try classes again. I taught myself most that I know, though. ^^

Umi
03-12-2003, 01:51 AM
ditto on being in between fluent and just enough. I can speak but I can definately read more than I can speak.

I've got a good grip on grammer and the like so if you give me enough time and a kanji dictionary I can translate most anything. Bleh... I just have to not be feeling lazy =P

Rinkun
03-12-2003, 02:45 PM
i can read and write it fluently. read out loud fluently...but not have a normal conversation fluently cause i loose concentration and jumble words =/

Nene
03-12-2003, 10:53 PM
I can read it and understand it pretty well...=X Just have trouble with Kanji levels about 6th grade..-x x;;; Hopefully I'll be fluent by next year, after I live there for a year -^-^-

Hiro
03-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Kanji is the only trouble that I have, it's not like i have enough room in this jumbled up head of mine to fit some odd thousand chinese characters!! But i'm taking classes now and I love that class to bits.

Shadow Lady
03-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Right now I know katakana, hiragana, and some kanji. I'm far from fluent but I plan on taking it while I go to art school.

Kirschwasser
03-14-2003, 09:48 PM
I can read and write it, but to speak it...heh, I still need a lot of work. Nothing was more embarassing than the time when I was in a manga store in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles. I bought some manga magazines, so of course the cashier thought I spoke Japanese. So she spoke to me in Japanese, and what did I do? Just stood there like an idiot. She then spoke in English, just smiling at me. She must have thought I was some fool. *sweatdrop* I need to work on conversations skills more.
But I'm still learning a lot of Kanji. Darn it, Kanji is hard. With furigana by it's side, it's easy, but without the furigana...forget it. ^_~

Bunny36
03-25-2003, 03:26 PM
nope can't read a word of it.
i really wish i could tho some of the stuff isn't as good once it's been translated. my ambition is to be able to read it in its original language. i no my writing here is appalling but i dont care

Bunny36
03-25-2003, 03:55 PM
nope can't read a word of it.
i really wish i could tho some of the stuff isn't as good once it's been translated. my ambition is to be able to read it in its original language. i no my writing here is appalling but i dont care

Baka Neko
03-25-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm in my 3rd year of Japanese at my high school. So I can read the hiragana, katakana, and a good amount of kanji. Speaking...let's just say I don't sound white when I do. I thought I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation to save my life but then the Japanese exchange students came to my class last week I did! Woohoo! They loved me so much. Seeing I was like the only stereotypical american girl (blonde hair, blue eyes, etc.) It was funny how they put 2 and 2 together and said I looked like Meg Ryan (don't think so ^^;) Okay, I'm going to shut up :x

Velvy
03-28-2003, 12:43 AM
Oh, if anyone can translate kanji I would love you forever. I have this manga saved, buuut...I'm just, yeah XD really wanting to know what they're saying! (PM me if you can help)

The manga's here, but the pages I want in particular are: 2, 3, 13, 14, 23, and 26

But if it comes down to one, then definitely definitely 14:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/seraphith/htmlfiles/aria_de_jenova_page_14.htm

Tenshi
03-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Furigana is my friend ^_^. But anyways, I can read it just fine, I just can't translate it. I can get the basic gist sometimes, but most of the time online translations are also my friend. XD

Hikaruchan
03-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Cann't read any of it. My sister can read a little of the doujinshi we have collected.

Hiro
03-29-2003, 01:56 AM
Amen Tenshi, "hurray for Furigana!!" (and the Chobits manga doesn't have it!!) I'm a first year japanese language student, got the kana down pat, but the kanji *shakes head* a good basket full is all I know
i'm too scared to try to hold a conversation out of class, thinking they might throw something at me that I won't know ^^ but I'm glad that my pronounciations is not attrocious. We'll see in 3 years!

laruku
03-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Velvy
Oh, if anyone can translate kanji I would love you forever. I have this manga saved, buuut...I'm just, yeah XD really wanting to know what they're saying! (PM me if you can help)

The manga's here, but the pages I want in particular are: 2, 3, 13, 14, 23, and 26

But if it comes down to one, then definitely definitely 14:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/seraphith/htmlfiles/aria_de_jenova_page_14.htm

Hope it's OK for me to post this translation. I figured that other ppl might want to know too :)

pg. 2:

Cloud's not saying anything on this page. He just sort of made a sound because Aeris fainted.

pg. 3:

No one is saying anything here either. I can't tell who's saying "A...A...," but the sound "Dokin" means that Cloud's heart is pounding really fast!

pg. 13:

Aeris: Back then, I thought that he was really neat. I wonder if he was my first love...

Aeris: That's all. We weren't really close. I just watched him from afar because he was a Player. (Aeris actually says that "he" loved women, so I took a few liberties in translating that last bit. lol.)

Cloud: ...

Aeris: Ha Ha. Are you jealous Cloud?

pg. 14

Cloud: Why would I be?

Aeris (thinking) : Even though you're a totally different person...you're just like him. From the beginning...since you resemble him, I've liked you. The way you walk, the way you move your hands, I can see him in you. But, not now.

pg. 23

Aeris: You can't be passive.... You can't just wish...

Cloud: Aeris!

pg. 26

Aeris: I was weak, but Cloud was the one who gave me courage. This time...look...I wonder if I can send it...I wonder if it will reach you. Cloud...Cloud....Cloud....

Very pretty manga btw. I'm going to have to go back and read the whole thing! Thanks for the link.

tamahomegurl
03-30-2003, 04:44 AM
i can barely read it and barely speak/understand it....my mom's japanese but we don't speak japanese.....@___@ but i know chinese though!! ^__^ and lots of japanese characters resemble those of chinese anyway....

zephy
03-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Lets see.... I can read and write hiragana and katakana a bit slowly, but I'm getting prgoressively faster every time. Knowing what it all means is another story...

Kanji is yet another story...

I took japanese last semester, but had to drop it towards the end of the semester. It was an elective and having 2 quizzes a week was WAY too much for me when I had an overloaded schedule. Most of what I learned, I've learned on my own.

Hey, can anyone recommend any good resources for learning kanji?

laruku
04-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by zephy

Hey, can anyone recommend any good resources for learning kanji?

Best of luck with your studies! Japanese is IMHO one of the hardest languages to learn because of Kanji.... I have a love/hate relationship with Kanji... :crylaugh: My reading comprehension is passable because I love to read manga and the same kanji usually appear. Anyway, don't give up! KoI

Here's a link to a free kanji flash card program that I'm sort of using:

http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/

It's pretty good, if not slightly annoying....but hell it's free and it gets the job done if you actually use it. :p

I've heard that this site is good too:

http://www.kanjisite.com/

A VERY GOOD resource is the following:

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/

Lots of printable kanji that you can use to make flashcards out of!

Neat website that lets you translate and read from J to E or vice versa. It's a great tool for seeing what an english word is in japanese, but there's no furigana:

http://www.rikai.com/

kitti-chan
04-05-2003, 11:59 AM
At this point i can only wish.....
hmmm...maybe i should start learning

Minako Kou
04-05-2003, 02:39 PM
Lets just say my Japanese is only how far I've taught myself and I'm lazy.

If my Highschool had a Japanese class I would be in it, however we don't so I'm taking German instead (only my 1st year so far) and already my German is better than my Japanese. T.T;;;

I can read it pretty well, only a few things of Kanji, but what I read doesn't mean I know what it means heh...like some English words I guess.

I am trying to get College classes now, so I can start taking them.

kris
04-06-2003, 07:13 PM
haha (^-^) I am fluent... but is it cheating for me to answer this question? (ToT)

Gothic_Lulu
04-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Yes and no....

I have been taking it for almost 3 years now and at the begining my speaking was alot better than my reading but now my reading and writing is a lot better than my speaking. I had to practice a lot before I became somewhat good at reading though...it is really hard >.< I used to practice with simple books and stuff....

I can write and read hiragana and katakana but katakana seems a lot harder for me for some reason. I really don't know much Kanji yet...

JacksUsername
04-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Hmm, hopefully I'm going to be taking some summer courses in it between semesters if I have the extra money. I tried learning on my own, but its just not working, I really need instruction.

Ashurachan
04-15-2003, 11:12 AM
I took classes back in college... But it was not intensive (just a 2-hour class per week) so I did not learn much... and forgot a big part of it since (I graduated about 3 years ago). That's why I said "a few words", even if some time ago I could read and speak a little.
I still know basic grammar, but vocabulary did not want to stay (German vocabulary never wanted to stay either... the reason why I'm fluent in English is that I practice everyday, so I don't have time to forget words).
However, what's left of these lessons is everything my teacher ever said about everyday life and culture ^^

avagoyle
04-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by krystal1314
Heh.. I *wish* I could read Japanese... that's why I'm gonna be taking it in college, lol ^_^
I almost bought the Battle Royale book until my friend reminded me that I couldn't read Japanese :thumbsup:

We just bought it in english from Amazon.com. It isn't as good as the movie though, the translation is not very good.