PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing, what do you think?

Haruka
08-07-2002, 09:37 PM
ive seen about 7 of the eps, i have all of the series in my computer, but i havent really had the time to watch them all...as far as i have seen, its really weird..but i like it..i was just wondering if anyone else has seen it, and i want to know what they thought of it.
oh, plus it has GREAT music...i do belive the composer is Yoko Kanno...(cowboy bebop, macross)

Yggdrasil Pie
08-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Waii! I saw about 7 episodes too, my computer is weird, it wont work right anymore... ^^;;;

I love it! Yea...I do think it's a little weird...But I like weird!!! I really wanna see more!!!

Ayaka
08-07-2002, 10:03 PM
It's not Yoko Kanno. Too lazy to track down who, forget the name. Personally I prefer the manga, but I'm discovering that tends to happen to me when I read the manga first. They reordered some stuff and cut some other stuff out. Maybe it's because of what they could get away with on TV, but I think the battles lost their impact. Though, overall, it's easy to think that the vampire thing has been done to death (ack. no pun intended), but Hellsing is stylish and it's still got stuff going on under the "look at me I'm dark and stylish" exterior. Umm . . . not that I'm biased or anything . . . *hides Integra costume behind back*

Incidentally, the show has been liscensed by Pioneer. I wasn't blown away by the dub, but it won't make you attempt to brain yourself with a lemon juicer, which is good.

Haruka
08-07-2002, 10:04 PM
oh yes, veeeery strange. but you know, alucard is such a bad ass (^.~).

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-07-2002, 10:45 PM
It's a great anime, but I have a feeling soon to be overcosplayed like Trigun is....

Yggdrasil Pie
08-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Aww...overcosplayed? Acually...I would be happy to be surrounded 25 Alucard cosplayers! XD

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-08-2002, 12:04 AM
'eh, yeah but it's like seeing a Wolfwood cosplayer who's cross is well... to put it nicely, not as big as it should be hehe.

Ayaka
08-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I don't know about overcosplayed cause I don't believe that's possible, but it WILL be a popular series for cosplay. Muahaha I was one of the first! FIRST! . . . ahem. ^^

Rosiel
08-08-2002, 09:20 AM
My opinion on Hellsing (shamelessly copy/pasted from my online diary because I am too lazy to rewrite it)....

-----------------------------------------------

Can someone explain Hellsing to me?

I suffered through 10 episodes of shoddy animation, obviously fake gore, gross yuri, total and complete lack of plot and... melodrama. Not just any melodrama, Melodrama (with a capital 'M') a la Weiss Kreuz.

Asukaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Not to mention shoddy dialogue, over-the-top voice acting and really bad fashion sense. Well, that and Alucard is built like an ape. His arms are too long, it makes him look unbalanced. What an insult to his lovely Castlevania namesake!

The only reason I would continue watching it at this point is in the hope of Alucard and Integral getting it on. Which, obviously, will not happen.

-----------------------------------------------

So yes I am very very disappointed in Hellsing. The animation isn't even good. >__< I have the feeling vampires are hip right now and hence plot is considered expandable if there are vampires in it (like, say, Blood).

Don't get me wrong, I love vampires ("Interview with the vampire" is one of my all-time favorite Hollywood flicks, and I used to be a "Forever Knight" junkie) but I also need an overarching plot.

Hellsing right now feels to me like Sailor Moon without the sap.
(And we're not talking Sailor Moon Stars because that season actually had a good plot! LOL)

peacecraft
08-08-2002, 10:47 AM
I liked Hellsing, but I felt the ending was very anti-climactic (I won't say what it is for spoiler reasons, but it felt totally different than the rest of the series to me).

My friend did an Alucard cosplay at AX this year. He ended up being hired by the Pioneer booth for a while. If he weras his costume again next year, maybe I'll go as Arthur Anderson just for kicks.

Rosiel
08-08-2002, 10:57 AM
> I liked Hellsing, but I felt the ending was very anti-climactic

That's what everyone told me. I think I am going to give up on the series and just watch the ending... out of curiosity. ^__^

> My friend did an Alucard cosplay at AX this year. He ended up being hired by the Pioneer booth for a while.

Oh wow that is great! *_______*Congrats to your friend!

I wish something like this would happen to me... of course, cosplaying more or less obscure (or older) series/games does not help...

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-08-2002, 11:07 AM
'eh, I've seen 3 Episodes, and I think it's one hell of an Anime, I don't see why it doesn't appeal to you.

Haruka
08-08-2002, 11:10 AM
i do agree on the fact that alucard has freakishy long arms...
i have yet to see the rest of the series, and i was wondering if rosiel has seen the dubed version (if there is one) or the subed version....cause we all know when some animes are dubed, it compeatly ruins the series....

Third-child
08-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Well I think the series starts out well, but the end lacks something. To each there own. It was fun to watch, and I know about it. I don't have any plans in the future to watch the series again.

Rosiel
08-08-2002, 11:45 AM
> i was wondering if rosiel has seen the dubed version (if there is one) or the subed version....

Nope, subbed!

I think my problem (which is exactly why I hated the Escaflowne movie) is that I tend to like complex plots, especially when politics and philosophy collide (like say Gundam Wing or Gasaraki) and when there is no black and white, only shades of gray (which explains my obsession with Arslan Senki).

I like anime that tries to convey a message, anime that makes me /think/... or anime that that makes me try to figure things out, pulls me in then turns my world upside-down (Perfect Blue is a good example of that, as is They Were 11.).

Anime "for entertainment value only", like Sailor Moon or Fruits Basket, I like when it's sweet and relays a lot of feelings, when it makes you care about the characters and their daily lives. It's not plot-driven but relationship-driven.

Hellsing to me is the Cowboy Beebop of vampire anime. Trendy, snazzy, but empty. I can't feel anything for any of the characters. And the cheese factor (the rose petals functioning as an ivy leaf, of the whole Integra stares as the vampire licks her boobs) gives it too much of a B-movie feel. Don't get me wrong, it has good moments, but it lacks an overall sense of /unity/, and has the tendancy of falling into Weiss Kreuz mode too often for my taste. ^___^

(I started reading the manga to see how it compares, and will give my opinion once I am further along.)

Seriously, I am not saying Hellsing is bad per say, I am just saying I don't get the hype and personally did not enjoy it all that much. Probably because it's not the type of anime that grabs me. (I really really l like Integra's character design though!)

My current hopes are pinned on Rah Xephon. I have not seen enough episodes to say for sure, but as of now it truly blew me away.

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Perfect Blue & Boogiepop are two good animes for you then with the pull you in and flip you around and you wake up in the morning with a headache and not knowing where you were last night type of anime.

Rosiel
08-08-2002, 12:22 PM
> Perfect Blue & Boogiepop are two good animes for you then with the pull you in and flip you around and you wake up in the morning with a headache and not knowing where you were last night type of anime.

Oh, I LOVE Perfect Blue... Now I have to try to find Boogiepop. Has it been licensed already? What is it about (non-spoilerish)?

Haruka
08-08-2002, 12:26 PM
what is Rah Xephon?

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Boogiepop is basically this... big beam of light comes from the sky and there's a power outage, this beam of light fuses into a bunch of various kids and they all get special powers. Each character has his own episode, and the anime revolves around a certain time line, like while character A is doing this Character B is doing this and in both episodes they'll show some spot where Character A Bumps into Character B and after watching both episodes seeing how they got to that point and what was happening you get a better understanding of the episode they cameod in.

The company that liscensed it I believe was Rightstuf or whatever, the Box set is already out on DVD.

And yes... I love Perfect Blue too! ::points at username::

Ayaka
08-08-2002, 01:46 PM
. . . personally I like B-movies . . . ^^ (Well, depends. But I was a big MST3K fan, saw the majority of the episodes, and was a little ashamed that I'd seen some of the movies they were doing BEFORE it was on their show.)

I'll be interested to see what you think of the manga, Rosiel.

And yes, Boogiepop was liscenced by Right Stuf. I need to get some more volumes of that . . .

Peacecraft - You know Xyque/Jay? Cosplay's a small world I guess . . .

Rosiel
08-08-2002, 02:02 PM
> what is Rah Xephon?

As far as I see, a strange psychedelic mecha show... I can't tell a lot from the little I have seen but it looks interesting (and at this point endlessly confusing).

Where Gasaraki is gritty realistic mecha + politics + Noh Theatre Rah Xephon is strange otherworldly yet linked to something ressembling our reality mecha + aliens/sci-fi + singing...

(Rah Xephon was featured in English Newtype 0, but I didn't read the article to avoid spoiling myself. Oh the art/animation is lovely btw!)

I highlyhighly recommend Gasaraki.
Good stuff.
Nono, GREAT stuff.

And thanks Me-Mania-sama for the teaser... I will pick it up. I can't believe your alias did not ring a bell, especially since I rewatched Perfect Blue on Tuesday! LOL

peacecraft
08-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ayaka

Peacecraft - You know Xyque/Jay? Cosplay's a small world I guess . . .

Yeah, he was one of my roomates at AX this year. What made his costume all the more impressive is that it was the first one he ever made.

Ayaka
08-08-2002, 03:30 PM
I read the Newtype article on RahXephon; it didn't make nearly enough sense to be a spoiler, not as near as I can tell anyway. Maybe when I see the show, I'll think it was . . .

Originally posted by peacecraft

Yeah, he was one of my roomates at AX this year. What made his costume all the more impressive is that it was the first one he ever made.

No kidding. He would have had to do some altering on that coat, among other things . . . I really don't know how he managed that with a first costume. Though I believe he spent most of the year on that costume. I'll be interested to see his Sadamitsu costume next year . . . I doubt he's going to find a group that can pull off the other costumes though, they're super-hard.

Pollyanna
08-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Hellsing just doesn't live up to its soundtrack. I heard the music first and then said "How could anything with music THIS good not be awesome?"
I say skip the show, but buy the music. ^^'''

pookie-kun
08-09-2002, 12:01 AM
At first I really liked hellsing - then I looked behind it and.. didn't find anything worth watching.. so I stopped. At episode 9, I think it was. I have 10 11 and 12, but they're in straight japanese.. and I'm not that good at it yet u.u;

Rosiel: Rah Xephon, i've seen a few episodes of.. 2.. heh.. it intrigues me, I'm gonna try to find more.

Madmann
08-09-2002, 01:43 AM
I so far am enjoying hellsing

Third-child
08-09-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Ayaka

I'll be interested to see his Sadamitsu costume next year . . . I doubt he's going to find a group that can pull off the other costumes though, they're super-hard.

From what he said, he is working on the tail? Not too sure, cause I have not seen any pictures of it yet, not the show. He wants me to watch it, to see if I want to cosplay with him. Are they that hard?

Ayaka
08-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what he's working on . . . don't know him very well. He said something about making a vehicle in his garage? oO But, though I've lost the thread, he posted at the AX board with some images of monsters from the series - pretty brutal. It'd be lots of working with foam latex, would be my guess. Maybe you could do it though. I couldn't find any images really . . . if you know Silent Mobius, or well the Guyver, the monster designs seem similar to that.

scandia
08-10-2002, 08:27 AM
I watched the first 2 episodes subbed at JACON. I cannot wait to see more, but the otaku shop does not have it for rent yet and the first DVD only has 3 episodes so I don't wanna buy it. It was pretty good- not my usual preferred style, but it has potential nevertheless. I saw the most awesome Hellsing cosplayers at Shoujocon but had run out of film by then.

tydawgsd
08-12-2002, 08:10 PM
*mini-spoiler alert*
Hellsing is ok. It has a decent storyline, and the main character, Arucard, is one of those good guys who like being bad. The rest of the characters are pretty weak though. Some good action scenes, awesome music. The ending sucks though, it is kind of like the Evangelion ending where you are like what? is that it?

Luna
08-23-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Haruka
i do agree on the fact that alucard has freakishy long arms...
i have yet to see the rest of the series, and i was wondering if rosiel has seen the dubed version (if there is one) or the subed version....cause we all know when some animes are dubed, it compeatly ruins the series....

Heheheh...Alucard....love this guy to death! So freaking cool! And yeah, long arms are fine, because the whole Alucard character: personality and looks, were meant to be so grotesque, that's the whole point! Darn, *spoilers* man turns into a freaking dog, monster with 1000 eyes and such....so long arms are not the scariest part...lol. And I love his freaky smile too! Heheheh.... I like him as a character because he's got presonality. And a cool one to boot...
I liked anime, I realize it was badly done and has no plot, plus I watched it with REALLY bad dub, but still enjoyed it, Alucard definately saved the show, lol, I hope they will make more episodes...

Luna
08-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by WaterEmperess
Aww...overcosplayed? Acually...I would be happy to be surrounded 25 Alucard cosplayers! XD

*faints* I am with you on this one! I would be in Heaven! Or is it Hell? (read backwords Alucard - Dracula, heheheheh)
Especially if all these cosplayers are just as good looking as this one Alucard Cosplayer I saw at Anime Expo in LA this year!!!!