PDA

View Full Version : What is Comic Con like?

Kaitou Kid
08-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I am from Ohio, and I was planning on visiting a family member of mine that lives in San Diego on the week of Comic Con 07. So I was Wondering what is it like?
I go to Anime Cons like Ohayocon and Otakon and all that, but I have never been to a Comic book Convention. Is it any different from an Anime Convention other than It being based around Comic Books?

faeryqueenrs
08-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Don't let the title confuse you. SDCC isn't just comic books. It is also very much sci-fi/fantasy everything. The slogan on all the ads says "celebrating the popular arts".

It's probably like the conventions you are used to, except very, very crowded.

questionablekri
08-17-2006, 09:38 PM
yeah, it's got a little bit of everything! loads of fun.

Though, if you do go, PRE-REG. I cannot stress this enough :P

xmissxhellx
08-17-2006, 10:23 PM
I've never been to any other convention other than comic-con so i cant really compare it to any others, but i can tell you it's extremely huge and extremely crowded! and i will tell you to wear a comfy cosplay, because your feet will hurt. T-T other than that, it's a whole lotta fun and its got bits of everything from anime to sci-fi to comics. ^^

TR Rose
08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
It's huge. You won't even get across the dealers/exhibitors room in one day (especially if you're in costume!) Lots of big-name companies were there as well: Lego, Square/Enix, Nintendo, Sony, Sci-Fi Channel... not as much in the way of anime-themed merchandise (a TON of comicy/sci-fi things), but you will find the tables of cute plushies and figures. They just require a little more searching for.

Did I mention how enormous it is?

Angel Tifa
08-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Comic-Con does have alittle bit of everything. While I do think they have some decent selections on anime stores(if you just look hard at every isle in the dealer's hall), I personally don't think it's as good as some of the other cons I've been too. For one, it's overly crowded and unfortunantly you gotta fight your way to get through the dealer's room(comparing to other cons I've been to, I didn't even have to try to fight to get it :p). This is just me, but I'd prefer to go to Anime Expo instead.

Kaitou Kid
08-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Thank you for all your advice.
So from what I gather this con is huge!
Extremely huge.
Well Im glad you guys could help me out so much on this.
Thank you ^^
So I should deffinately Pre Register?

xmissxhellx
08-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Pre-reg is a MUST because it's a betch to stand in the gimungo lines just for one day's badge!! XD

Kaitou Kid
08-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok. I will deffinately Pre Register then.

demifiend
08-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I've been going to Comic-Con for four years (as a San Diego native geek, it's kinda required), and I've actually been enjoying it less and less each year. Granted, this year my friends and I were recovering from AX and were kinda conned out, but it just seems to be a lot of the same stuff every year. What I notice is that if there are lots of panels that interest me, then there is less stuff on the show floor that does, and vice versa. The hall is split roughly 50,50, with comics being 50% and everything else taking up the other half.
I guess my real problem stems from the fact that I am more into anime and video games than comics or other American sci-fi. Since I went to E3 last year, and AX this year, it was kind of underwhelming. It's still a great con, but it kinda lost some of it's luster to me. Definitely go on the weekend, and see the Masquerade (the line is pretty scary though, but the show is great), but check and see the schedule first before you commit to four days.

Chibi Plush Toy
08-30-2006, 01:09 AM
What's it like? It's pushy, crowded, and HOT. Also a San Diego native here.

ArchFaith
08-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Hm, this thread might be very useful to me.

I'm the Vice President of the Fordham University Anime Club, located in the Bronx, NY. Every year my school promises to send every one of its clubs to a conderence of our choice, fully paid for. So yeah, we've been using our school's money to go to cons, hahaha.

We've been to Anime Boston 2005 and Otakon 2006, and this year we are considering SD Comic Con. Is it worth it for us to fly out from New York for this, or should we stick to Otakon or maybe try Anime Expo?

Majin Buu
09-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Well, I must say that don't let the negatives change your mind about wanting to attend Comic-Con in the future. It is true that the attendance was massive (I'm talking over 100,000+), so yeah, Comic-Con does get really crowded. Yes, it was definitely hot (this year, it was unusually hot and humid outdoors), but that can't be helped. However, it really is an awesome convention, and I plan to go back next year. It isn't solely for comics, but Science Fiction, Anime and US Animation, Video Gaming, Arts -- you're likely going to find something you enjoy. I think it's great to spot or even meet celebrities and other performers that you really enjoy his/her works, because not everyone gets a shot to see or even meet them.

If you have a costume, great. If not, that's fine -- I didn't wear mine this year, either. The only thing I really dislike is parking (worse than Anaheim), but I survived. SD is a very pedestrian-friendly city, in my book. If you haven't been, I recommend going. Pre-registration begins early in the year, I think. The earlier, the more affordable it is.

Test Type
09-09-2006, 06:04 AM

I'm the Vice President of the Fordham University Anime Club, located in the Bronx, NY. Every year my school promises to send every one of its clubs to a conderence of our choice, fully paid for. So yeah, we've been using our school's money to go to cons, hahaha.

We've been to Anime Boston 2005 and Otakon 2006, and this year we are considering SD Comic Con. Is it worth it for us to fly out from New York for this, or should we stick to Otakon or maybe try Anime Expo?

ArchFaith,

If your interest is Anime I think that you should definitely go to Anime Expo rather than SDCC.

Iíve been to AX for the last three years and SDCC for the last two years and while I really enjoy Comic-Con, if I could choose to attend only one, it would be AX.

Iíve never been to the Long Beach CC though (where AX will be held next year) so it will be interesting to see if the change of venue makes a difference to how enjoyable the Con is.

I really liked the Anaheim CC and the fact that they didnít kick us out at night like at San Diego but the San Diego CC is in a city where everything (food, shops, etc.) is within walking distance unlike Anaheim.

You could always try AX in 2007 and SDCC in 2008.

Breeface
09-29-2006, 08:37 PM
TestType - Long Beach as a whole I personally think SUCKS. But I have no idea what their Convention Center is like, never specifically been there. I am upset that they are moving it myself even though Long Beach is closer to where I live, I'd rather take the extra time and have it kept in LA .-.

SDCC is a good con if you like alot of stuff because like everyone has said it's pretty much got everything. Which is why it is so crowded. It's not something you should go to if you hate crowds and have claustrophobia cause you WILL be stuck in crowds at more than one point xD And it seems to get bigger and bigger every year.

Pretty much...
If you want Anime then stick with AX.
If you want some varity then stick with SDCC.

Ladaym
09-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Whatever you're a fan of, you'll find it at SDCC. You might need to look harder for some things, but they're there. ^_~

Yes, Pre-Registration is good! (and cheaper!)

It allows you to get into Preview Night. My group spends Preview Night powering through the Dealer's Room. It's possible, though exhausting, to make it through the entire floor in that evening, noting where places you'd like to return to are.

Being Pre-Registered means not waiting in as huge of lines the other days, so you can spend all your time on the floor, or in panels, or at events, or gaming, or in the anime show rooms, or... You get the idea.

A lot goes on at SDCC.

That's why planning each day makes for a better con. You'll miss less.

And, if you need to reserve a hotel room for next year, DO SO NOW. The hotels, even as far as Hotel Circle, are booked full long before July.

About the temperature inside the con, it's usually perfect. Unless you're the only one in a room or hall. Then it's freezing, because they have the air conditioners going full blast. Last year was a little warmer in the Pre-Reg line on Wednesday, but it wasn't bad after someone opened a door and we got some cross-flow. (Of course, I live with triple digits half the year, and wear shorts year-round, so San Diego temperatures doesn't faze me unless there's high humidity.) In any case, I bring both a fan and a sweater, and I'm good. ^_~

Driving/parking/walking is fine, so long as you have a plan.

The only bad thing I noticed about SDCC happened this '06. There were lines for regular panels, not just for the hugely popular stars' panels. An unpleasant shock. It's probably because there was such a huge increase in attendees. Every year, SDCC gets larger, so it shouldn't have surprised us, I guess. But still. It was nice to just gather around a panel 5 minutes before it started. >.<

Anyway, as you can tell, I love the SDCC. It was my first convention, a high school graduation trip, and I can't imagine skipping a single year. I love the enthusiastic people, the plentiful freebies, all the information you can find, all the connections you can make... No other convention I've been to compares. It's become my home away from home. ^_^

I recommend the SDCC to anyone who's a fan of more than one thing. Even if you hate crowds, (like I do), you will be impressed.

If you only love anime... Well. You'll prefer an anime-specific convention, like AX, of course.

Got any more questions about SDCC, feel free to ask me, here or in PMs. :)

(Random fact: I wore a pedometer at one SDCC and clocked in at least 5 miles every day. Wear comfy shoes! ^_~)

Runi-Chan
09-30-2006, 09:37 PM
^.^ It's very nice to have a thread like this. I'm hoping to go to Comic Con this year (it's a verah big deal for me, as I'm ALL THE WAY on the other side of the country, in MD), and while I really do love anime conventions, it's nice to indulge the rest of my geekiness and go to a comic one for once.
I'll definitely keep checking back here.

I just hope that if I bring Pit over there (from Kid Icarus), I have enough room to navigate without breaking a wing. (might have to have smaller wings for CC)

Ladaym
10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Rurouni_Ina_Box, I looked up some reference pics for your Pit character. (Yay, Wikipedia! ^_^)

If you go with the full-size wings, there would be some high traffic areas in the dealer's floor that you'd want to avoid, (like near the Viz booth, the edge lanes, or the very crowded front rows.) Although, it would probably be possible to navigate most of the floor. People seem to make way for cosplayers with props, in general. (Personally, I wouldn't make the wings too flimsy or inflexible, to avoid damage to wings, bystanders, and displays.)

You'd be perfectly fine on the higher levels of the convention center, where the panels, SCA stuff, gaming, and anime showrooms are.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Runi-Chan
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Rurouni_Ina_Box, I looked up some reference pics for your Pit character. (Yay, Wikipedia! ^_^)

If you go with the full-size wings, there would be some high traffic areas in the dealer's floor that you'd want to avoid, (like near the Viz booth, the edge lanes, or the very crowded front rows.) Although, it would probably be possible to navigate most of the floor. People seem to make way for cosplayers with props, in general. (Personally, I wouldn't make the wings too flimsy or inflexible, to avoid damage to wings, bystanders, and displays.)

You'd be perfectly fine on the higher levels of the convention center, where the panels, SCA stuff, gaming, and anime showrooms are.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

^.^ Yeah, Pit is love. Much unappreciated early Nintendo love.

I was going to do smaller, scaled down wings just for the flight over (because I'm fearful of breaking them).

And I was going to avoid most of the other booths in Pit except for the Nintendo one. XP I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to be wearing him.

Gawd, I'm looking to get a job at an EB games in the local mall; wonder if anyone's going to have spasm if I go, "I'm making a Pit costume. You know, from Kid Icarus?" XD

I'm impatient to go to Comic Con now; and I still have two small anime cons before it even comes, XD

*Worships Wikipedia because she can learn about characters when she doesn't have time to watch a bajillion episode series but loves the character design*

Ladaym
10-02-2006, 02:45 AM
The smaller wings should be fine, then, except for the aforementioned evil areas. ^_~ You can probably avoid them to get to the Nintendo booth (if it returns in '07 to where it has been in the past.)

Hehe, yeah, I'm impatient, too! The Con-buzz started even earlier for me this time. Instead of beginning to get hyped about the next year around Christmas, I wanted to go back a week after driving home. O_O

Can't. Wait. For SDCC. *twitches*

Went to a small convention last week, but it couldn't quiet the Con-buzz. I want to live at the SDCC. . .

*joins in the Wikipedia worship* A friend demanded that I be a Twilight Princess Zelda for her Link, but I've never played a Zelda videogame - don't shoot me! - so Wiki helped me learn about the characters and the story. Plus, I wasn't going to do it until I saw the design there, and then I was like "heck yes! That's purty!" Thank you, Wikipedia, for getting me into yet another sewing project. XD

Runi-Chan
10-02-2006, 02:26 PM
The smaller wings should be fine, then, except for the aforementioned evil areas. ^_~ You can probably avoid them to get to the Nintendo booth (if it returns in '07 to where it has been in the past.)

Hehe, yeah, I'm impatient, too! The Con-buzz started even earlier for me this time. Instead of beginning to get hyped about the next year around Christmas, I wanted to go back a week after driving home. O_O

Can't. Wait. For SDCC. *twitches*

Went to a small convention last week, but it couldn't quiet the Con-buzz. I want to live at the SDCC. . .

*joins in the Wikipedia worship* A friend demanded that I be a Twilight Princess Zelda for her Link, but I've never played a Zelda videogame - don't shoot me! - so Wiki helped me learn about the characters and the story. Plus, I wasn't going to do it until I saw the design there, and then I was like "heck yes! That's purty!" Thank you, Wikipedia, for getting me into yet another sewing project. XD

XD Yes, Wiki's a lifesaver.

Con buzz never stops. Evar.

Especially when I've got two cons in the VA/DC area to go to. And THEN FOR COMIC CON.

Because if you're a geek, it's like you have to make a pilgrimage there.

Ladaym
10-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Because if you're a geek, it's like you have to make a pilgrimage there.
Oooh, nicely put! :bigtu:

Embarrassed to admit it, but I thought my first con (SDCC) would be a once-in-a-lifetime journey to fandom-Mecca. Hoo boy, now it's my life, not a "once-in-a-lifetime"! >.>

Runi-Chan
10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Oooh, nicely put! :bigtu:

Embarrassed to admit it, but I thought my first con (SDCC) would be a once-in-a-lifetime journey to fandom-Mecca. Hoo boy, now it's my life, not a "once-in-a-lifetime"! >.>

XD Well, I'm from Baltimore, so I get to go to the east coast's big fan con, Otakon every year... And honestly, I don't think will be my only time out to Comic-Con. I'd gladly give up Otakon for a few years to be able to get to SDCC.

Ladaym
10-03-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm sure you'll enjoy SDCC. ^_^ Maybe you could chose between the conventions based on the weather forecasts. "Hmm, it's too muggy this year to stick around for Otakon, so I choose you, ComicCon!" :toothy:

Runi-Chan
10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy SDCC. ^_^ Maybe you could chose between the conventions based on the weather forecasts. "Hmm, it's too muggy this year to stick around for Otakon, so I choose you, ComicCon!" :toothy:

XD Yeah, Baltimore weather is usually hot and very muggy during the summer. And this year we had the joy of happening on the same weekend as a series of games between the O's and the Yankees. So that was interesting; there were baseball fans in most of the con-rate hotels, so you could usually look forward to a lot of, "huh, what are you guys doing?"

I think the best one was when me and my friends were heading to the FMA shoot on that friday; a dad, his friend, and the guy's son saw us (and shared an elevator to the lobby with us). We were nice to them and told them what was going on. The kid looked all happy to see cosplayers, and the dad turns to his friend and goes,

"Maybe we should be going there, instead of the game"

XD SCORE.

But that's offtopic now, narf. XP

Ladaym
10-05-2006, 12:29 AM
The persuasive power of cosplay. :rockon:

Somewhere near the SD convention center is the Petsmart stadium place, and one year around the Con days, some popular baseball teams were playing. Luckily, it didn't affect traffic getting to the Con, and my group reserves hotel rooms way in advance, so that didn't bother us, either.

Though, we've had some -interesting- neighbors in the motel where we stay. O.o

Suzushichan
10-05-2006, 11:35 AM
you mean PETCO Park?! XD lol. yeah, it was rediculous a couple of years back, there was this HUGE game AND Comic-Con going on at the same time, so there were some rooms in the mariott that were like $800 a night. that's a little too intense for me. luckily i LIVE in sandiego, so i've got nothin' to worry about. :) comic-con is really big. comic-con is really crouded. comic con doesn't have much cosplay...but the thing comic con does have is probably one of the most EPIC masquerades you will ever see!! ...EVER! XD

Ladaym
10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Hehe, yeah, PETCO Park! XD

Mmm, the Masquerade. . . I still haven't gotten in to see it, yet. My group always has panels while the line is forming. But if the crowds of cosplayers around the room and at the group photos are anything to judge by, it has to be spectacular. O_O

One of these days I'm just going to hang out in the Sails Pavillion and watch the Masquerade feed. ^^

linkluver6
11-06-2006, 12:33 AM
2007 will be my first time for comic con hee hee!
I am excited just cuz i got friends with apartments
so i dont have to pay for a hotel most likely

Chibi Plush Toy
11-06-2006, 10:40 AM

Anime Expo, definitely. Don't even try going to Comic Con, honestly to me it's not worth it >: ( if you wanna just be walking 1-2 inches per 10 seconds because it's overly crowded and everyone's packed together!

Usachan
11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
I would like to know if anyone has attended Comic Con in 1998, I guess
one reason I ask this is because of creator/author Naoko Takuechi who
created Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon attended there that many years ago
and I wanted to find out if anyone had met her or knew if she still attends
this con. I don't know if I will ever see this con but if I knew she was
going to be there, I would find some way to get out there and meet her.

Ladaym
12-16-2006, 06:37 PM
*shakes head* Sorry, haven't met her. If she's going to be at SDCC '07, her name will definitely be on the Guest List, which is updated on the official website fairly frequently. Hope you get your chance to meet her! ^_~

Reno_kun
12-17-2006, 01:20 PM
comic con's fun for meeting other cosplaer's and kicking back with friends, finding some good deals, but yes you will often get stuck in the middle of a funk sammich, with fan boys who never even herd of a shower but dun let that ruin it for you.

sliceman22
12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
So comic con is all about comics and manga?(batman, superman, joker....etc)

tweetychick630
12-21-2006, 07:59 PM
For me, I've always thought of Comic-Con as being about not only comics, manga, and anime, but everything sci-fi and fantasy in pop culture. They've shown previews for Harry Potter movies alongside comic movies, have Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network kid panels with anime and manga panels and viewing rooms, and basically....there's probably something for everyone. There's gaming, original art, costumes....a blood drive, and tons of volunteers.

So basically what I was saying was....>_<.....probably just don't limit yourself when thinking about Comic-Con. It may be a little hard to find what you're looking for amidst the tons of comics for sale, but it is probably there. One good thing is that since SDCC isn't primarily an anime con, the anime booths and panels aren't as crowded as some of the other panels.....although last year seemed to be exceptionally crowded >_<.

Ladaym
02-22-2007, 03:42 PM
*agrees* SDCC = unlimited possibilites. ^^

although last year seemed to be exceptionally crowded >_<.

Did it ever! >.< 'Anyone hazard a guess as to why?

Mandy Mitchell
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I would like to know if anyone has attended Comic Con in 1998, I guess
one reason I ask this is because of creator/author Naoko Takuechi who
created Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon attended there that many years ago
and I wanted to find out if anyone had met her or knew if she still attends
this con. I don't know if I will ever see this con but if I knew she was
going to be there, I would find some way to get out there and meet her.

I do know a couple of people (not that well) who did attend SDCC 1998 and got to meet Naoko Takeuchi. Unfortunately, Naoko hasn't returned to the US since her visit in 1998. Amano did come last year. If Naoko were to ever to return again, you would hear it all over the place. For a guest like her to return, I would recommend going. But as for the trouble of going to SDCC, it's really not worth it anymore.
I've been to SDCC in 2001, 2005, and 2006. The con has changed tremendously. It's very, very huge and you have to fight the crowds. I'd say the closest thing to SDCC would be the LAX (Los Angeles International Airport).
The hotel rooms sold out within hours. It never used to be like that in 2001.
I love the SDCC Masquerade and how it's run. I like how the have a Masquerade simulcast room the next day.
Overall, SDCC is kind of like the world's largest dealer's room. I do all my shopping on Friday. I refused to set my foot in the dealer's room on Saturday knowing how crowded it was. At last year's SDCC, thousands of walk-in attendees tried to show up nn Saturday to get in. The line stretched all the way to shoreline village. The fire marshal came in and said the SDCC was at full capacity so the walk-ins had to be turned away. So if you do plan to attend SDCC, then by all means pre-register!
If you really love the aspect of anime cosplay, then go to Anime Expo. That would be the best place to exhibit your best anime costumes. You're not going to find much of it at SDCC. In fact, it's much better to participate in the SDCC Masquerade if you're doing a non-anime costume. That doesn't mean that you can't enter an anime costume. You can but the harsh SDCC audience won't appreiciate a skit that doesn't entertain them. SDCC is mostly comic books, movies, and American pop culture. It really depends on what fandom you're into.

Dany
02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
>>although last year seemed to be exceptionally crowded >_<.

Did it ever! >.< 'Anyone hazard a guess as to why?

It's a combination of things. A big part of it is more and more introduction of media into the convention...celebrities coming to promote things, etc. People want to see/meet the stars, and the Con has given alot of opportunity in that department with Hollywood within a couple hours drive. It's a big chance to parade and preview things.

Also, with more people, comes more vendors hoping to sell to those people. Think of the Con as a huge yearly, high-standing business expo, except that the business is comics....the MacWorld of Comics and Media, for lack of better words. It's a big deal to hawk your wares at Comic-Con...even a fraction of those 100K people coming to your table and buying something you published is potentially decent change...not to mention the chance of being exposed to people who could very well bring your work to even larger audiences.

More vendors = more need for space.
More space for vendors = more stuff for attendees to see, and thus a chance for more people to want to come.

It's kind of cyclical, in my opinion.

Rogue Marvel
02-26-2007, 02:04 AM

Personaly I would pick SDCC over AX especally this comming year since I really dislike the Long Beach CC and if you can get your school to pay for the trip next year might as well see AX in its normal venue.

Comic Con is the everything con. Anime, Sci-fi, fantasy, Hollywood moves, comic books, card games, warhammer, there is somthing for every type of geek. And lots and lots of free stuff.

It is big and overhelming and just a neat experence. Yes, it will be very crowded, because it has been growing like crazy, but AX is starting to get the same and It probably will be the same in LB this year.

Maybe I'm bias because CC was my first, but if I had to pick I would take CC over AX.

~LaDy_LoCkHeArT
02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
hmm whats its like....

hella hawt... but inside is hecka cool if you know where to stay and go...

hecka big...

and totally awesome...

ive never been anywhere else but im trying to figure if im going to AX this year

i suggest that you try to go this year... if not maybe next =D

Rikku Dattebayo
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Pre-reg is a MUST because it's a betch to stand in the gimungo lines just for one day's badge!! XD

YES IT IS!! + i'm also with xmissxhellx cuz i've also never been to any other con except for Comic-con.. sometimes for Anime Expo.

Comic-con's not really all that wild with manga... but it depends.
THOUGH IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT!! ^_^d

gelflinggal
03-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I've recently learned that people who attend the masquerade to watch can be really rough....booing and being just, well, jackasses....when they do act up...why? I mean what's on the stage at the moment??

rednecko
03-14-2007, 09:02 AM
I have seen videos and they seem to not be as quiet as an Science Fiction Convention's audience. They either will cheer and cat call for you especially if you are a superhero costume or a hot female character or say nothing at all or worst.

Eurobeat King
03-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I've recently learned that people who attend the masquerade to watch can be really rough....booing and being just, well, jackasses....when they do act up...why? I mean what's on the stage at the moment??

It's reallly bad at comic-con, and I've witnessed it when watching the masquerade at SDCC 1998, 2002, and 2003.. :untrust: The immature people who do that stuff really makes it hard for the others around them who are trying to enjoy the show. Since I haven't been on-stage for the SDCC masquerade, I don't know if the contestants can actually hear the audience applause or jeers, since they're mainly concentrating on their skit/walk-on.

Hence why each year I go to the photo-area behind the masquerade room and take pictures of the cosplayers after they finish their skit/walk-on. True, you'll miss their skit, but you'll be able to get some good pictures of their costume(s.) :)

piwackit
03-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Ah, the Masquerade audience.
This audience is the most rowdy you will find just about anywhere in fandom.
The good thing is when your on stage, you really can't hear anything but a constant roar of noise. Your music, your heartbeat & the audience blend.
Let alone be able to see past the end of the stage. Very bright.

If your sitting in the audience you will hear all kinds of things. You may even join in. Chants of "ROCK! ROCK! ROCK! ROCK!" are still heard to this day.
If one of the stage "ninjas" comes out to clean up they will chant "NINJA!".
The audience helps out by counting out the contestants numbers as loud as they can, but this is encouraged by the MC. Who is Phil Foglio again this year.

One thing to remember: these people have been in line to see the show ALL day. Some get in line at 10 a.m. just to have a good seat. So yes, they are loud, rowdy & will let any contestant know when they are on stage too long. So when your on stage, it's a good idea to keep your presentation short.

Downstairs in the exhibit hall:
It's very BIG! There are all kinds of things to see, get signed, buy and people to talk with. Plus lots of freebees. Don't just expect comics. You can find just about anything. Weds. & Thur. are the best days to shop, since Fri. & Sat. are busy and most of the popular guest show up then. Sunday is the best day to make deals since most of the dealers want to unload as much as possible before they pack up.

Wearing a comfortable pair of shoes is a plus, since you will be doing a LOT of walking. Plan out what you are thinking of seeing ahead of time. Programming lists the daily schedule online the closer we get to con. If your in costume, wear something that is not too difficult to walk around in. You will be stopped & asked to have your picture taken, so be prepared for that too.

Food:
The concession stands have longs lines & high priced food/drinks.
I've been seeing more & more people bring in those little insulated lunch boxes to keep snacks & drinks handy. There are numerous restaurants & a Ralphs grocery store within walking distance of the convention center.

Registration: Get your memberships early as this year the Con is putting caps on the number of attendees. The online system is up & works very well. You print out your confirmation page at home & then take it with you to pick up your badge onsite. :)

It really is like no other convention of it's type. AX is specifically aimed at anime, DragonCon can be more of a party atmosphere and the gaming cons are targeting one audience. Take all those, add more stuff, mix them up and you kinda get what SDCC is. Only BIGGER.

If you get bored at con, SD is a great city to go & explore. It's not spread out like L.A., so you can get from one place to another in a relatively short time.

Cheers!

Mucai
03-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm currently planning to fly home from my next trip from SFO on the Wednesday before Comic Con. Do you think it is worth it to stay in the US for a few more days and go to SDCC?

piwackit
03-24-2007, 02:53 PM
If you've never been, it would be worth it to stay.
Just remember to buy your membership now & have a place to stay.
And be prepared for a HUGH amount of people.

Cheers!

Ladaym
03-28-2007, 01:12 AM
It's a combination of things. A big part of it is more and more introduction of media into the convention...celebrities coming to promote things, etc. [...]

Also, with more people, comes more vendors hoping to sell to those people. [...]
More vendors = more need for space.
More space for vendors = more stuff for attendees to see, and thus a chance for more people to want to come. [...]

Ah, I see. Increasing media exposure -> increasing attendance. Oh well, it can't get too much more crowded, what with that attendance cap in place starting this year. (Doubt that Comic-Con was having an increase in vendors, though. The floor-space has had waiting lists for a few years.)

It seems odd that whatever was the cause made such a huge difference between the 'easy' crowds of 2005 and the definite crowding/long lines of 2006... But then, maybe this is merely a real world example of an f(x)=x^(n) function and I'm just entirely overthinking this whole Con attendance thing... Could very well be... *rubs back of head sheepishly*

piwackit
04-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Here's the official blurb from the SDCCI website:

"Important note: NEW for this year, Comic-Con will be limiting the number of memberships sold!
Last year on Saturday we reached the capacity of the Convention Center, so while we hate to turn people away, we have no choice. A limited number of one-day memberships for Saturday will be sold, and they will probably sell out online before the convention even starts. Also, there will be a limited number of 4-day full memberships sold. Therefore, it is very important that you buy your membership as soon as possible, especially if you are buying a Saturday-only badge. We expect that memberships for Thursday, Friday and Sunday will always be available, but it is still a good idea not to wait. Contestants need a badge valid for Saturday to be in the Masquerade Saturday night!
Also, be sure to allow plenty of extra time to find parking! With the convention being so large, parking can be difficult to find. Comic-Con provides shuttle buses that stop at many hotels and the Convention Center, and they are free to ride for those with Comic-Con badges."

hellozombie
04-12-2007, 02:20 AM
I just have a quick question. This'll be my first time at comic-con too. I went on the pre-registration thing and it shows the prices and everything. But I was wondering. Do kids UNDER 12 just get in free or something? Just wanted to know because I have a younger sister who will be going as well.

Thanks!

piwackit
04-12-2007, 03:29 AM
I believe that those under 12 get in free with a paid badge. They will have their own badge (it gets stamped 'KIDS') which has a contact name & number in case they get lost on it. Which they should also have in their pocket in case they get lost or separated anyway.
You should contact the con to make sure of this, just in case policies have changed.
Prices have gone up as of 4/3/07.

hellozombie
04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I believe that those under 12 get in free with a paid badge. They will have their own badge (it gets stamped 'KIDS') which has a contact name & number in case they get lost on it. Which they should also have in their pocket in case they get lost or separated anyway.
You should contact the con to make sure of this, just in case policies have changed.
Prices have gone up as of 4/3/07.

great, thanks for the info! :)

SantanaCosplays
04-13-2007, 12:16 AM
You know, Con wasn't that crowed for me last year. The dealer floor felt like it did in 05, But then again, I uslay was the one to find the little currents in the room to get through. ^_^ and having a paddle helps. I can't wait for this year though, I'm not looking forward to seeing anyone or to go to the things, but to people watch *and of course the shawg and Cosplay(er)s* Most people at con are pretty nice. MY friend was standing in line for ATHF last year, and randomly people just start chanting with you, and its a pretty fun conversation. I know I did that a couple times at the S.E booth in front of the Sora.

Masquerade being... rowdy? Yeah XD But it's sorts of worth it though. The excitement in the room bounces off people, some are really rude, but most of the time, its only in the really really early part. Like even before the show starts and we're loading in *remembers the green feathers floating back*
Sometimes I enjoy the long line for masquerade. Last year someone kept people entertained with hogwarts sorting, and some waldo people walked around ^_^.

The only thing i didn't like about masquerade was this one reporter stalking the line, he was such a jerk. One of the people behind us finally told him off, but it brought the mood down a little.

But that’s my babbling and little happening at con.

PS. The dealer floor may be crowded, but go upstairs and outside. its AMAZING if you don't live in SD, or even if you do.

Ladaym
04-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Hm, I don't know. With the crowding, it was the upstairs I was most referring to, around the panel rooms. Up until last year, arriving 15 minutes before a panel was more than enough time for all except the very most popular panels. Then BOOM! At SDCC 06, there were actual LINES for panels, and huge lines for many of them. My friends and I were shocked. We didn't get into half the panels we'd expected to. And Con planners were surprised too - they had to send volunteers to direct traffic near the panel rooms. Oi, I hope it calms down this year! The rest of the Con traffic seemed fairly usual, I guess. Mayhaps it was just the insanity at the panels that got me talking about crowding.

Strider
04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Being a 12 year veteran of this particular con (07 will be my 13th consecutive attendance), I feel like I am one of the best people to elucidate on what this convention is like. Let's take a look.

The San Diego Comic Con is the biggest convention in the country. That said, you have to understand that there are people from all over the world who attend this thing. Crowded is not the word for it, more like extremely packed. Last year, the building actually reached maximum occupancy, and the people at the door had to turn away thousands of paid attendees because it literally would have been a fire hazard to let more people in. This year, they are attempting to put a cap on this, as they are only selling a limited number of Saturday only badges as well as four day badges. Long story short, be prepared for a lot of people all at once on any given day.

The Con can also be compared to a media circus. In just the past several years alone, companies and other places have finally started getting the idea that Comic Con is THE place to go as far as marketing to the audiences that are their demographic, as well as launching other things. As has been said, the CC is not just about comics. It is a gigantic melting pot of movies, comics, anime, action figures, props, etc. If you go to Con, odds are you will find several somethings there that you will like.

The dealer's floor is not the extent of it though. I've known people who went just to paruse the floor, and I liken that to going to Las Vegas just to see "the strip." There is so much more to see! The panels that are held on any given day can be a great source of entertainment. On Wednesday's preview night, I make a habit of not hanging around more than a few hours so that I can get home and pop open my program booklet to see what panels are being held and plan which ones I want to go to. If you go, my favorite is "Quick Draw."

Then there's the Masquerade. It's always a great time to be had, so if you are lucky enough to be one of the attendees in the hall this Saturday, hit the masquerade up. You'll be glad you did. Of course, after that, there's a dance on the top floor that is NOT. TO. BE. MISSED.

If you're going to cosplay, be prepared to have lots of people want photos of/with you. It can be a little daunting sometimes trying to juggle being polite with people who want like, 3 pictures of/with you as you are on your way to a panel you're fixing to be late to the start of.

All in all, it can be a great experience or a stressful one, depending on how much you try to do whilst there. Ultimately, the con IS like Vegas in the way that you can't do everything, even in 4 days. It'd take about a week or so to do it all, and unfortunately, you only have 4 or 5 days (if you're a 4 day pre reg attendee).

Have fun, take in what you can, and don't sweat the stuff you can't. There's always next year.

animegamer057
05-04-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm hitting both AX and Comic-Con this year. Hooray for the geekery!!

It's going to be my first time going to Comic-Con but I'll be going with some friends that have done this before. In any case, would it be safe to cosplay as Solid Snake's Cardboard Box? Will people sit on me or something?

Suzushichan
05-04-2007, 05:43 AM
any of you new kids interested in participating in our masquerade skit? send me a PM! :)

ShinigamiDuoLov
05-05-2007, 02:53 PM
SDCC is wonderful! I live in San Diego and only about 15-20 minutes from down town San Diego, where the Convention Center is. I havn't been to other conventions, but Comic Con can get really crowded, but the more people the better, right? They are expecting 125,000+ people to attend this year! Plan to take the trolly (which is resonably cheap) or walk 5 to 10 blocks (or more) from your parking lot because the parking lots fill up quickly. If you are planning to get a hotel (especailly the ones that are next store and across the street from the Convention Center) CALL RIGHT NOW!!! They fill up really quickly and I would not be suprised if people are already getting rooms. They hick the prices up around the Con, but if you're from out of town and don't know the area well, it is well worth the price.
If any of you are big time Final Fantasy cosplayers, there will be a Final Fanatsy gathering on Saturday around noon or 1. If you want any information about the gathering, you can email me at cagirls@cox.net. This is a personal email, so make sure your topic is about the gathering or Comic Con so I do not trash your message. Eurobeat King every year, so come and have fun!!!

ssjbulma_tb1
05-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Comic-con is crazy sometimes and is seriously overcrowded. Lines to see movie previews are..well..crazy!! If you plan on wearing a costume do not wear wings as they will crushed by all those people who don't care about your costume. Beware!

But other than that it rocks! ^-~

piwackit
05-25-2007, 03:25 PM
The news from the Comic-Con web site:

Important Information About Comic-Con Registration and Attendance!
If you've been to Comic-Con the past few years, we don't have to tell you: It's a BIG show with lots of people. And the reality of the situation is quite simple: We're looking at limiting attendance this year.

Last year, Comic-Con sold out on Saturday. By "sold out," we mean we reached our maximum attendance capacity for that day. There's a strong probability we'll sell out on Saturday this year, also. That may result in no onsite registration for Saturday. If the crowds thin out later in the day, we may open registration for those of you who just have to come on Saturday, or want to see the Masquerade but just can't face the crowd in the Exhibit Hall. And while we didn't sell out on any of the other days last year, there's always the possibility it may happen this year. Because of this, we strongly urge you to register online as soon as possible.

New 3-Day Membership
To help keep the crowds down on Saturday, we're introducing a special 3-Day Membership that includes entry into Comic-Con on Thursday, Friday and Sunday, plus Preview Night on Wednesday evening. That's right: NO SATURDAY. This special 3-Day Membership is available only online. It will not be offered through the mail or onsite. If you already go to the San Diego Zoo or Sea World on Saturday to avoid the crowd at Comic-Con, this is the membership for you. (For those of you who have already purchased a 4-Day Membership and would like to avoid the crowds on Saturday, we will gladly refund the difference and change you to a 3- day.)

Comic-Con's primary concern is your experience at our event. When there are too many people, no one has a fun time. We're working on the crowding issues, with your safety first and foremost on our mind. As always, you can find the latest information on attendance and registration on this website.

Strider
05-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I am assuming that if one is able to buy a 4-day badge on the comic con's website, that must mean they are not sold out, and that one will be able to get in?

Ladaym
07-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Yeah, the website still (as of a week ago) has 4-day pre-reg available. Most likely Saturday won't be sold out before in-person registration starts.

Since so much happens on Saturday, I wonder how many people decided on a 3-day registration...

andyRak
07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed description. This thread really helped me to get an idea on how this Con was like. I'm in San Diego for a couple years now but this will be my first SDCC this year =w=.

rednecko
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Four Day passes are now sold out for SDCC. They also expect at a minimum Friday and Saturday to be sold out. If you haven't gotten your membership, go to comic-con.org right away because I wouldn't be surprised if the con sells out all one days also.

crash_override
07-13-2007, 02:05 AM
yeesh! oh well, i bought my ticket early so i'm good :]

Tearatone
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I was an idiot and got mine today. I have a three day pass with no Saturday, and a Saturday only pass. $85! So yeah, don't do what I did.

Wren
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I wish they had 2 day blocks of fri sat or sat sun

crash_override
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I was an idiot and got mine today. I have a three day pass with no Saturday, and a Saturday only pass. $85! So yeah, don't do what I did.

ouch! i actually offered that suggestion to a friend of mine the other day. i think i better tell her to get more info on that, hahaha. thanks for the warning ><

Saku-chan
07-14-2007, 03:38 PM
I have been interested in going to Comic Con for a couple of years now, but actually convincing my parents to drive down to SD from LA for me is another story. This year will be my first year, and I'm only going on Saturday for Tanemura Arina... so I was wondering... I know AX gets crowded and registration lines are insane, but after reading about the lines at Comic Con, what time is a good time to get there on Saturday? I've already preregistered for my Saturday pass, so will I possibly have a problem with not being allowed into the con? (Because, from what I've been reading, my understanding is that people who had already paid for Saturday weren't allowed in due to maximum capacity? @_@)

rednecko
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
With the cap, everyone who is pre-registered will be let in the building. The cap on registrations is to prevent something like that happening. Registration opens around 9:30 AM on Saturday and they process people quickly because all they do is look at your id and swipe your confirmation.

Vash_Fanatic
07-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I was also wondering about Comic Con. One thing I still want to know is how much does a membership cost? If anyone could tell me how the prices are for a pre-ordered four, three, two, or one day pass.

LadyHaze
07-29-2007, 07:14 PM
HEY GUYS MY BF IS REALY INTERESTED IN SIGING UP FOR THIS AND I WANT TO HELP HIM, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK, I TRIED GOOGLE BUT IT DIDN'T GIVE ME MUCH INFO...ANY ADVICE???:confused:

piwackit
07-31-2007, 03:49 AM
If anyone is interested in going in 2008 they are selling 4 day tickets online only.
If you buy them from the Con web site you can still get the on site price this week-that's what they were telling people on Sunday.
From what I understood, they may only sell memberships ONLINE for next year. No ONSITE memberships. Once they sell out that's it.
So if your interested in going buy now. I think it's only $40 for all 4 days & preview night.
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/
http://www.comic-con.org/common/contact.shtml

linkluver6
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
If anyone is interested in going in 2008 they are selling 4 day tickets online only.
If you buy them from the Con web site you can still get the on site price this week-that's what they were telling people on Sunday.
From what I understood, they may only sell memberships ONLINE for next year. No ONSITE memberships. Once they sell out that's it.
So if your interested in going buy now. I think it's only $40 for all 4 days & preview night.
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/
http://www.comic-con.org/common/contact.shtml

awesome!
I had such a good experience at this one that I am definitely going heh

thanks for telling us
next pay check I am getting me ticket:skidude2:

Nazoshadow
08-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Judging by the popularity of Comic Con this year (I'm amazed it managed to sell out for all four days... I don't recall hearing about that EVER) I'd suggest getting your 4-day ticket as soon as possible. @_@ Even if you're going for only 2 days, the 4-day ticket is better since it's cheaper. Plus the earlier you get it, the cheaper it is (like way early, it's only $25; compare that to buying a ticket for 2 separate days).

Registering online is also better since it makes refunding your money easier, in case you somehow can't make it to Comic Con. That was the case for me last year... I bought my ticket very very early just in case, but ended up not going... so they refunded my ticket. =D