PDA

View Full Version : Is this con worth going to?

Ma Moi
08-15-2006, 10:07 PM
This is the only con so far besides expo I can go to. Can't go to the con in CSUN since I'm busy that whole weekend. So I think I might be able to go to this con. Is it worth the drive and the money? Anything special about this con? ehh, etc, Well, anything you want to say, I'd like to hear =)

daoutlaw
08-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Yes. Its worth it and then some.

Anele
08-16-2006, 12:36 AM
This is most definately my favorite con to go to, for lots of reasons. I tend to not like big cons because of all the hustle and bustle, and how hard it mostly is to hang out with friends, especially those you don't get to see outside of cons. With being the size that it is (currently, anyways ^_^), ALA is a great con to go to. Everything's centered, you don't have to walk half a mile to anything. It's great. I suggest going ^_^

Super No 1
08-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Anime LA, Animagic, and PMX are all fine conventions. We have a really great anime community in Southern California and when you go to one of these smaller cons, you really feel like you are a part of it. You're not going to be wowed by the video room or the dealers' room, but you'll meet some great people and that's what makes these other cons worth going to.

Sonsko-chan
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
I'd say it's definately great. I made a ton of friends and I've only gone once. For some reasons, it's better than AX, because it's smaller, so as was already stated, you feel like a part of the con. The dealer's room isn['t larger than the size of a house, so you're more likely to notice find what you're looking for. Also, with GoH, you don't really have to wait five hours in line to meet them adn whatnot. I stopped one in the halls, just to take a picture! xD

DivineSage
08-18-2006, 12:30 AM
The nice thing about ALA, like everyone's been saying, is that it's so laid-back. You can relax and have fun without having to run all over a huge convention center, and people are friendly. Plus, it's a great convention to get involved with, the staff is very friendly. Last year a 15-year-old was running the video room *cough*me*cough*, that should tell you that it's definitely a family friendly con.

Gainax Boy
08-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Many Many Years ago.. back in 2004.. a brave group of brave individuals set out from their Native Sci-Fi Cons to find a place where they could practice their Anime Fandom freely, away from the Tyrannical rule of King 'AX'. Sailing aboard their Vessel.. the S.S. CHAZ .. one year later, they landed at Van Nuys Airport. Here, they started the first Con of Los Angeles Anime Fans, known as ALA.

Then, with the help of Chief Tetsugyu and his Tribe of Infinitely Excellent Indians, the Anime Con was able to survive it's first Winter and a great many thanks rose up through the newly established Convention.

We Celebrate this momentus event by dressing up in costume and returning to the Con every year During the last weekend of January.

And that's today's history lesson! ^_^

call_me_canada
08-19-2006, 12:05 AM
I very much like your history overview. =) Thank you! Ya Ma Moi I was in the same boat you are/were. . . in oO. It is very nice to hear about cons before you go so that you're not disapointed or watever. I hope I can go ^^

jtnishi
08-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Many Many Years ago.. back in 2004.. a brave group of brave individuals set out from their Native Sci-Fi Cons to find a place where they could practice their Anime Fandom freely, away from the Tyrannical rule of King 'AX'. Sailing aboard their Vessel.. the S.S. CHAZ .. one year later, they landed at Van Nuys Airport. Here, they started the first Con of Los Angeles Anime Fans, known as ALA.

Then, with the help of Chief Tetsugyu and his Tribe of Infinitely Excellent Indians, the Anime Con was able to survive it's first Winter and a great many thanks rose up through the newly established Convention.

We Celebrate this momentus event by dressing up in costume and returning to the Con every year During the last weekend of January.

While the influence of Jared and co. certainly had a hand in helping out the convention in the early days, and still do through key staff positions to this day and various other methods of promotion, remember to give credit where credit is due: to Chaz and to the excellent staff and volunteers that Chaz has built up under him to support the convention, to the various guests and panelists who have driven the programming at the convention, to the staff of the Airtel hotel which has graciously hosted the event the previous two years, and to the LA area and beyond fans who have attended the convention and have made it a worthwhile event to attend.

ALA is a wonderful event because of a confluence of factors. And yes, Ma Moi, if you're a local area fan, it definitely is a worthwhile event to attend. It is a different, more relaxed convention. In a lot of ways, it's a throwback to the way conventions used to be. Not a big surprise given that Chaz comes from the world of science fiction conventions which are totally different environs than most anime cons these days.

Scruffy Rebel
08-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Last year was my first time going...and it was definitely worth it. I have found that I greatly enjoy cons where you spend most of the time being around your friends in costume, hanging out and having a good time. All the days were a lot of fun for me and I've been looking forward to the next one. I'd definitely say it's worth going to!

~Scruffy

Michi
08-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I think it's a bit odd that you ask if it's worth going to but didn't really mention what you look for in a con, or what you like to do. Honestly, nearly everyone attends conventions for different reasons. For example, if somebody loves a con for having a great AMV turnout every year, and you could care less and love the gaming room, it's not going to help you much. ^_~

I enjoyed ALA this year because I had friends I could spend time with and had fun cosplaying in groups. There were some pretty good food places nearby, and the hotel was comfortable with a good lobby to hang out in. *shrug* :X

Ellome
08-22-2006, 02:53 AM
ALA was a great chill-con :D I'm sort of predicting that it's going to outgrow its venue this year, but in a way, that's good for those throwing it, right? Just pre-register, because there is an attendance limit due to space. Still, everything's easily accessible, everyone I talked to, even those I didn't know, were friendly and fun, and I really enjoyed it :D And expect to next time, as well. :3

Reno_kun
08-22-2006, 06:37 AM
ALA is a great con, and the food is cheap cause there's a 7-11 right around the corner! XD

Moon Prince
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I went for the first time last year... I found it while fun to see things, a bit cramped... isn't it in a different place this time?

Anyway, i don't like the larger cons. while I have fun, I always feel that I've missed something. I don't feel that way at the smaller ones.

I'm going again most likely, since it's so close to my birthday.

smaller cons is the way to go if you like to meet people.. talk to the cosplayers.. see guests...

Youshi Semenjyu
08-30-2006, 07:58 PM
S.S. Chaz...I cracked up. You win, Gainax Boy. LOL!

From what I hear, it's a really awesome con, better than AX in a lot of ways, and the Masquerade is reputedly run much more professionally. I'm looking forward to going.

Rogue Marvel
08-31-2006, 09:58 AM
ALA has lots of elements of old Scifi cons that are very diffrent concepts to anime cons.

Two of the biggest ports are the badge ribbons and the con suite (aka snack food room). Badge ribbons are ribbons you get by participating in events or buying them and stick on your badge. They say cute things like "Kawii" "FanGirl" "Browncoat" "Pretty Boy" and so on.

The con suit again is just a snack room with food and drinks to help keep you going threw the day.

ALA Also has a costume repair station, just in case somthing happins to your costume and a Masq run under the ICG guidlines.

Its a pretty awsome little con. I'm planing on going again next year!

ddrotaku
09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I've never gone, but this thread has got me pretty interested...

*looks at calendar*

J Ryoga
09-14-2006, 11:58 PM
The con suit again is just a snack room with food and drinks to help keep you going threw the day.

YES. Every con needs one of those. An entire room dedicated to food. A prices that are not classified as highway robbery.

Rogue Marvel
09-15-2006, 02:17 AM
The con suit at ALA is free as it is at scifi con. But again its just snack foods. But its a big help during the day when you need a little energy to ohelp you threw the day

Mandy Mitchell
09-19-2006, 02:11 AM
If anything, at least check out ALA on Saturday because that's when most of the cosplayers show up. I'd say it's very similar to Ani-Magic except that it was really crowded because half the hotel convention space was lost due to a wedding reception. People had to pour out in front of the hotel entrance. Hopefully, it won't be like that next year. ALA is more condensed within a small hotel setting while Ani-Magic is more outdoors because of the pool area and gardens.

Safaia
09-22-2006, 03:17 AM
I've gone the past two times and loved it, even though last year's was a little rough for me (I'm shy, and my only con-going friend ditched out on my last minute and I was by myself the whole time. ;_; ) Regardless, I still had fun, and everyone was super nice to me. ^__^ I can't wait for it again this year.

_jedi
10-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I've been thinking about coming up there this Januray with two of my friends. Since one of them and I both have the con around our birthdays, we could ask for is as a sort of "combined present." Reading this just made me want to go even more! (And if we get to go for the whole con, I'd actually be there ON my birthday. cooool!)
Having such a great experience at Ani-Magic just makes me want to try out other small conventions, too!

Karisu-sama
10-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Relaxing and fun, and definitely a great place for cosplay.

They have an attendance cap for '07 because of the current venue size limits, but they'll be in a new, bigger place for '08 which is quite nice for cons. :)

(This may sound weird, but I kinda hope ALA stays within a comfortable size to be still a fun, relaxing, cosplay-focused and not frenetic con; not growing to be excessively large and impersonal. :p )

Kurai_811
10-05-2006, 10:40 PM
ALA is great, verry worth going to no matter what ^^

Earthbounder
10-18-2006, 02:19 AM

Gainax...Wow, just wow. I give you an insane amount of props for that lovely lesson in history.

And yes, I completely agree that this con is worth going to. By far my favorite con alongside Fanime.

Sana-chan
10-26-2006, 02:02 PM
(This may sound weird, but I kinda hope ALA stays within a comfortable size to be still a fun, relaxing, cosplay-focused and not frenetic con; not growing to be excessively large and impersonal. :p )

I couldn't agree more! I love going to ALA because it's small and personal. I've been to many cons over these past 8 years and both ALA1 and ALA2 have been among my favorites.

ALA is an excellent con for hanging out and cosplaying with friends in a more relaxed type atmosphere. If that is what you're looking for Ma Moi... then I'd definitely recommend it.

linkluver6
10-29-2006, 10:07 PM
alright I am definately going to this one
and I expect to see all of u ppl there hee hee!

BlueLady
11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
personally I think its a great con, because it's small, friendly, and perfect for having parties or trying out a new costume before the "big cons"

Hazel Chaz
11-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I went for the first time last year... I found it while fun to see things, a bit cramped... isn't it in a different place this time?
We're in the Airtel Plaza Hotel again, for the third and last year. We have the WHOLE FACILITY for the entire weekend (Friday-Saturday-Sunday). We plan to have things going on all over the place. Rooms are only $99/night single/double/triple/quad +tax -- call 1-800-2-AIRTEL and reserve your room while they last!

(Next year we'll be in Burbank, on the first weekend of January 2008 instead of the last weekend. But that's a story for another time.)

ALA has lots of elements of old Scifi cons that are very different concepts to anime cons.

Two of the biggest parts are the badge ribbons and the con suite (aka snack food room). Badge ribbons are ribbons you get by participating in events or buying them and stick on your badge. They say cute things like "Kawaii" "FanGirl" "Browncoat" "Pretty Boy" and so on.
I'm trying to get away from selling them this year (too much trouble and I don't want to be tied down to one place all weekend), so more of the department heads will be handing out ribbons on a whim or when asked nicely. Karisu-sama already has dibs on handing out Pretty Boys...

The con suite again is just a snack room with food and drinks to help keep you going threw the day.
And they're free to all members. You need a bottle of water? No problem. You can have a seat and munch and talk to folks, or you can get a small snack to-go. (Rule of thumb: you can take a handful of snacks in each hand, or one handful plus a beverage. We're not here for you to bring in a ziploc bag and dump a bowl of chips into your backpack for your party!)

ALA Also has a costume repair station, just in case something happens to your costume and a Masq run under the ICG guidelines.
Incidentally, I believe both Anime Boston and Anizona have picked up the Costume Repair Station idea, so hopefully that idea is spreading.

Rogue Marvel
11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I started a costume repair station at Ani-Magic this year, but I do not know if it will happen again next year.

I am looking forward to ALA again this year. I'll be booking my room in the next week.

If you need people who are interested in selling badge ribbons I wouldn't mind helping and I'm sure other supporters of the ribbons would love to help.

I wouldn't mind helping at all. I bet ALA is a fun con to staff, and it wouldn't mind adding it to my list of cons I staff.

Lil_Neko-Chan
11-02-2006, 11:33 PM
by far, ALA is my favorite convention! it was my first con and it is the friendliest one I have been to! Everyone really chill-laxed there. And of course, theres the Con-Suite (greatest fricking idea. ever!)!

Hazel Chaz
11-03-2006, 02:45 AM
I wouldn't mind helping at all. I bet ALA is a fun con to staff, and I wouldn't mind adding it to my list of cons I staff.
...Really? What are you doing this Sunday (5 november)? PM me if you're got nothing better to do that afternoon and we'll meet up... Or the following weekend, Saturday 11 November, I'll be down at the San Diego event...

msmoonprincess
11-20-2006, 02:06 PM

You know you really are a professor at heart. Ever considered teaching?

z_mikarin
11-21-2006, 12:52 AM
It is good to know that the con
I am planning to go is beloved by everyone.
Yea, I am going to ALA at the second time next year.

Last year I made a friend and kept in touch.
I am looking forward to seeing her^^.

And like everyone said, the staff people were nice.
Staff people I came across this year were mostly mature people
and I felt they had caring hearts for attendees.

Luna
11-21-2006, 02:49 PM
It is good to know that the con
I am planning to go is beloved by everyone.
Yea, I am going to ALA at the second time next year.

Oh, Mikarin! I might be able to go (I hope, *keeps fingers crossed*) and it will be nice to see you there!!!

z_mikarin
11-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Oh, Mikarin! I might be able to go (I hope, *keeps fingers crossed*) and it will be nice to see you there!!!

Luna! OMG!!!
I will PM you.
kya~~~~~

Eveil
11-21-2006, 04:20 PM
This is the only con so far besides expo I can go to. Can't go to the con in CSUN since I'm busy that whole weekend. So I think I might be able to go to this con. Is it worth the drive and the money? Anything special about this con? ehh, etc, Well, anything you want to say, I'd like to hear =)

In my honest opinion, it isn't worth it. However you can go to AX and think it's not worth going to.
Difference of perspective, but I say that any con you go to, what you do and with who or whatever makes a con worth going to.

FullMetal Tora
11-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Yay, it's gonna be my first time at ALA and i'm glad so many ppl have good things to say about it. I love Ani-Magic because it such a small, friendly convention, so i'm sure i'll like ALA too!

Ma Moi
12-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey guys! Completely forgot i posted this thread actually... oops! Thanks for all the info. I'll go to the con =) Most likey I'll only show up for saturday or something... or i can carpool with someone in my area =) Who else is from Ventura County?

If you see me there, i'll be either Cloud or Yuna with another Cloud <--maybe

iaShakezula
12-03-2006, 10:57 AM
MIkarin
Hi there, I think I met you at Mikomicon.I am planning to be there also cosplaying as Kanda for D.Gray Man gathering,If I dont have a VO class.I guess I will see you.

Anyway.....about Anime LA?

I was there last year ...what I did not like was the Hotel -it is pretty small for the amount of attendee and the program was half ok....Mikomicon, had a much better program and guests but their amount of attendee was disappointing.Johnny Bosh sang and the Random Ninja dudes were there but very small amout of people enjoyed it .They scheduled it a few weeks before PMX which was a bad mistake...PMX was awesome, you should plan on that one if you are into Jpop and rock.Anime Vegas was great with good scheduled program and guests...So far I am not impressed with the scheduled programing of LA Anime in comparison to Mikomicon and Anime Vegas but I will be there to cosplay.Sore dake da....

iaShakezula
12-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Hi there, I think I met you at PMX. I think was a shinsengumi or Col Mustang when I took your photo but I didnt have a photo of myself with you guys.Well I will be there(I hope) for the D Gray Man gathering

Sorry I posted twice in a row.

kabuki_KILLER
12-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Anime LA is my favorite, but I do like this convention a great deal. The staff is easy to deal with. People are mostly nice, and not WAY too many of them. Even if you're in elaborate cosplay, they won't hound you so much that you can't breath (like at Anime Expo, though also a nice con). It's a good balance.

I'm really looking forward to this as a pick-me-up in my mood after the whole downslide with Jrock Connection. They were horrible. Anime LA is cool. It's at a great time and place too for most cosplayers.

I only want to go one day, but I have a question on if there are single day admissions available. :confused:

Hazel Chaz
12-15-2006, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Anime LA is my favorite, but I do like this convention a great deal. The staff is easy to deal with. People are mostly nice, and not WAY too many of them. Even if you're in elaborate cosplay, they won't hound you so much that you can't breath (like at Anime Expo, though also a nice con). It's a good balance.

I'm really looking forward to this as a pick-me-up in my mood after the whole downslide with Jrock Connection. They were horrible. Anime LA is cool. It's at a great time and place too for most cosplayers.

I only want to go one day, but I have a question on if there are single day admissions available. :confused:
Thank you for all the kind words. We've tried hard to make the convention very costume-friendly (not just with the Costume Repair Station either), and it's true that with it being in January it's a good time to wear your heavy costumes with all the layers.

As far as single-day memberships: yes, they're $20, but they're only available at the door. And we have a membership of 1800 on Saturday, and we expect to be turning away between 300 and 600 people that afternoon. So if you want to attend just for one day, and that day is Saturday, we strongly recommend getting to the convention as early as possible. Registration will open at 8:00 am, two hours before anything else starts.

Of course if you're talking about coming on Sunday -- perhaps because you want to go to the Gothic Mad Tea Party? -- then I don't anticipate there being a problem, because so many of the Saturday-only people won't be there on Sunday. Ditto Friday, we won't have hit our limit by then.

[I'm afraid membership caps are here to stay, by the way; next year at the Burbank Airport Marriott (formerly Hilton) we'll have a cap of 3000, and we expect following years there to have a cap of 4000.]

Any other questions?

kabuki_KILLER
12-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Nope. You answered it. Yeah. Life of university students doesn't allow much time for these activities. I was actually hoping to get there around 11am Saturday, but I probably have to hustle instead due to the warning.

I'm actually not planning to do Jrock cosplay this convention, so saturday is good. **shrugs** Oh well, the show will still go on I'm sure. Haha. I've seen a couple very impressive displays in the EGL category. You won't really miss me much.

Sipo
12-16-2006, 02:46 AM
I have never been to a small con, and am quite taken back at the idea of joining one, because I am so used to constantly moving and being entertained. I do LOVE it when I get to just go to a dance and have lunch with me and mah fellow cosplayin' pals though.

I am going to ALA this year however, because I have heard good things from a friend.

I don't have many cosplay buddies, and I have only once actually met and kept in close contact with someone I met at a con (she's one of my best friends, presently :)). I really hope that I can get a chance to meet and talk with all of the cosplayers that I see here, posting all the time, and creating cosplays that are so beautiful, they're close to art. I am kind of a loner myself, but I enjoy socializing when I can. I hope that I have a good experience at this con.

Whether or not I will be cosplaying is still in question though, since I am not sure what I will get done. (If I am not cosplaying, I will be going in photographer-mode to capture memories!)

I hope to see you all there!

sliceman22
12-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Ma Moi, If i were you I wouldn't go to Anime LA. If your going to Anime Expo 2007. You should save money for the register and the hotels. If you compare these two conventions. Anime Expo 2007 is bigger than Anime Los Angeles.
Anime Los Angeles is not a anime convention. Its located in a small hotel. Anime Expo will be in Long Beach Convention Center. so yea....you decide if you want to go.

RivetSPOOn
12-17-2006, 06:02 PM
If it's not an Anime Convention, then what is it?

Anime Expo has been going for 15 years, ALA is still planning its 3rd. Is it really fair to compare a fledgling anime convention to the biggest one in the NATION?

And since you made it so clear that you've only been going to AX a handful of years, I'll let you in on a secret: There was a point in time when Anime Expo only utilized a Hotel. Singular.

daoutlaw
12-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Ma Moi, If i were you I wouldn't go to Anime LA. If your going to Anime Expo 2007. You should save money for the register and the hotels. If you compare these two conventions. Anime Expo 2007 is bigger than Anime Los Angeles.
Anime Los Angeles is not a anime convention. Its located in a small hotel. Anime Expo will be in Long Beach Convention Center. so yea....you decide if you want to go.

That's like comparing Donald Trump to fresh-start business owner. It's not fair and it should never be compared. ALA is legitimate anime con and you should be ashamed for saying such ludacris statement, especially considering how you seem to be a con newbie.

Just because the con is small, does NOT mean it won't be fun. As matter of fact, smaller con is more fun because it gives people more opportunity to socialize. With big cons, the events and the size doesn't give much chance to actually talk to people much.

sliceman22
12-17-2006, 07:25 PM
It was just my Opinion

a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty

kabuki_KILLER
12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
How about put it this way? If it's convenient for you, definitely come to Anime LA if you can. I guess you COULD argue that if people lived far far away that if they could only afford to go to one convention, to go to AX instead. That would be the common approach, but you will always have your people, like myself, who prefer the small or mid-sized conventions once in a while for sanity reasons.

I agree, a small convention should not be judged by where it's held or even by its genre (Comics, "Jrock", etc), but the people backing it, it's reputation with the people who've dealt with them and your own experiences with it.

It also depends on who you ask. Sometimes if you go as a convention newbie and your first cosplay...then that day you can't get from one hall to another because (nice) people stop you every 3 steps for a picture, that's hardly as fun as having some space and a few new faces to talk to.

Pretty Sammy
12-17-2006, 09:00 PM
It was just my Opinion

However, you not only provided an opinion, but also an argument for why your opinion was correct. Your argument was flawed, that's all people are saying.

I say, on the subject of the topic, that, if you have the money and time to come, you definitely should. I've heard nothing but rave reviews of this convention, and a lot of people have told me it's a lot of fun. I can't wait for all the gatherings, cosplayers, events, and more! I also feel like, since it's smaller, I can make lots of con friends who I can see more then once per con. :D That's the upside of having a small space; you can run into friends a lot. Lots and lots of waving. XD Just...don't make any enemies! Hehe!

daoutlaw
12-17-2006, 09:46 PM
It was just my Opinion

If you're gonna give opinion, there has to be reasonable proof for your opinion. Otherwise, it's known as bigotry and ignorance.

Sipo
12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I have been going to AX for a few years; the first for me was the one after the last Disneyland Hotel AX. (2000? 2001?)

I can afford ALA because I am close, and the badge is inexpensive. I want to get out to more cons to get a better experience from both sides: the quiet cons and the 'big-time' cons.

As for expenses, ALA is gonna be almost nothing compared to AX, which I save all year for. Financially, it will be okay for me, I believe. :)

I just want to get out, socialize, cosplay, and have fun. I am constantly moving at AX, and my only concernis being bored with a smaller con, but for some reason, I don't think ALA will be. There's only way one to find out: by going.

Ma Moi
12-21-2006, 04:27 PM

Well, Anime LA is only in Van Nuys. I don't really live that far. It's like 45 mins away. I'm also carpooling with people. I thought it'd be fun since it's the day after my finals. Then i can just use my christmas money to pay for the con. I'm not going to be staying at a hotel or anything for it either. We're just going to head out there everyday. The people i'm carpooling with are only about 20 mins away. I'd only be helping out with gas, paying for the badge, and food. This is also a really good opportunity to see my bf. I'll be going to AX '07 anyways. If i staff, then it's going to be practicly free for me in means of hotel and registration.

Pretty Sammy
12-21-2006, 11:27 PM
This con is literally eight minutes from my house. XD Too cool.

DJ Zephyr
12-22-2006, 12:11 AM
The con is like... 2 minutes away from my house...

and depending on the people you hang out with it can be a great con...

(co-founder of the shortlived pirate room while waiting for the AMV contest at ALA '06)

But it's a nice little con, with some great events (Iron cosplay with Barbies, LOL)

The game room is quite amazing too, DDR, and lots of fighting games with arcade controllers.

One of the reasons I liked the con so much? Con suite, where as long as you were a member and had your badge, you could walk in, grab some chips and a soda and come back for more later ^_^