PDA

View Full Version : An odd thought. . .

Tenshi
08-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Kingdom Hearts, for those of you who don't know (which is probably very few, but oh well), is an RPG made by both Square and Disney. In the game past Final Fantasy characters interact with popular Disney charas.

So my odd thought was. . .I wonder if Disney characters will start showing up at cons XD. I think it would be rather funny (because of those people who absolutely despise Disney). I don't think I'd ever take my Cinderella to a con, but I'd definately be snapping photos of old-school Disney characters.

Neon Genocide
08-08-2002, 11:51 AM
good point, though knowing people it will happen...

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-08-2002, 12:42 PM
If Mario & Spider-man can show up at a con.... anything can :(

Neon Genocide
08-08-2002, 12:43 PM
along with the jedi knight..

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Ughhh...

engrish
08-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Not all costumers at anime cons wear anime costumes. I've seen a couple of rennaisance fair and goth costumes but since anime is such a diverse medium these costumes can easily pass as anime costumes.

engrish
08-08-2002, 02:30 PM
btw how did i know these costumes weren't anime related? I asked the costumer. :D

kelldar
08-08-2002, 03:30 PM
I got my pic taken with a stormtrooper at Animazement :D Also at AZ I wore my She-Ra costume for a while, which can't really be classified as anime. Also seen a few Harry Potter costumes. It's mixing all these pop culture things, I guess. It doesn't seem too weird to me, and I'd be taking lots of pics of someone dressed as a Disney chara, too ^_^

Yggdrasil Pie
08-08-2002, 07:33 PM
Harry Potter... *shivers and hides out of fear*

Celine
08-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Haha, yeah, it'd be great to see some Disney cosplayers. Maybe a whole group of gals could do all the major Disney princesses. I would be all about getting pics of that!! I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing whatever you want to a convention- there really isn't much of a dress code, and because of this we get such interesting attendees. In addition to Japanese anime/manga/videogame/music cosplayers, we have American comics, cartoons, movies, and lots of original character designs running around. There's even the occasional Iron Chef! Let's not stifle the creativity. ^_^

Oshi
08-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Bahh... Disney costumes are no good; you can just BUY them.. yknow.

Kurenai
08-08-2002, 08:42 PM
True, but the ones you can buy are usually...down there in quality. Hehe I would love to show up as Ariel to a con (easy hair! wee!) but I asked my ex what people might think if I did and he said I'd probably get jumped. But then again he's an ass and did his best to ridicule whatever cosplay idea I ever came up with. ::shrugs::

Jinx
08-09-2002, 12:32 AM
Right. It'd be fun to make them look like they do at Disneyland.

personall, I love Disney. ^-^;

Yggdrasil Pie
08-09-2002, 12:43 AM
...heh heh...What if someone cosplayed as a Disney character at AX03 and went to Disneyland afterwards in their costume? XD

Foxwolfe
08-09-2002, 02:36 AM
Lol I can see people visiting disneyland thinking its a person working there or something and trying to get theyre pic with them.

Pollyanna
08-09-2002, 03:20 AM
Well, I can see people just using it as an excuse to cosplay Disney characters, having little relevance to the game. If you're just Donald Duck, you're not from Kingdom Hearts...you gotta do the new Donald costume that he has from that game. In that case, I'd be pretty impressed. But characters like Snow White and Cinderella and such are barely in the game at all. I mean, they show up...like once or twice in the entire game (I just went through it a week or so ago) So if someone did a costume like that, I'd feel that they're just a Cinderella fan looking for an excuse to do the costume.
Of course, I can't say what people can or can't wear...or even what they should or shouldn't wear. I just think that sort of thing would be a little lame.
I think doing something like that at Disneyland would cause a LOT of trouble, though. Hahaha...I'd like to see Kingdom Hearts Donald get in a fight with real Donald. Hahaha...and Koichi Yamadera needs to be a guest, because he's the Japanese Donald. (believe it or not! He's great, too!)

Michi
08-09-2002, 05:07 AM
Yamadera Kouichi is the Japanese Donald? That's AWESOME. :D!

And actually, there's nothing wrong with Mario at cons -- he's a Japanese video game character. :P He fits in as much as any Final Fantasy character.

Kingdom Hearts cosplay has already begun... There's been KH version Cloud and Squall cosplayers already, and I think I heard of a Tidus. I'd love to see a Donald and Goofy, well done, with the new KH outfits. ^^

Scoti
08-09-2002, 06:41 AM
it's not that I hate Disney but I agree with Pollyanna that people are going to use it as an excuse to dress up as Disney Characters (some of which may not even be in KH). it's not really a bad thing but should it be considered "cosplay" ? Should it be judged the same at conventions as a normal anime costume even if these characters are not Japanese infulenced in the frist place?....I hope it doesn't start arguments...:argue:

hmm..I wonder what Warner Bros. thinks of this... Next thing you'll see is somthing like Street Fighter vs. Looney Toons 0_o;;;

Neon Genocide
08-09-2002, 07:15 AM
oh god I hope not. I guess Kingdom Hearts puts animation/video games on new ground. I'm not judging yet but I don't want to see people using it as an excuse just to dress as Disney characters.. I did see a kingdom hearts cloud and squall, along with a selphie too at otakon this year..

Scoti
08-09-2002, 07:43 AM
I like the KH version of Cloud and Squall

Neon Genocide
08-09-2002, 07:46 AM
So do I

Celine
08-09-2002, 09:59 AM
It is true that with current cosplay rules at most conventions, traditional Disney costumes would be inappropriate. As always, it's possible that the rules might be bent if people try to enter as Disney characters, but that's a whole different story. Anyway, in the case of general hall cosplay, there is nothing wrong with dressing to suit one's interests.

Dressing up as Disney characters isn't a new idea. Lots of people already cosplay as characters that don't fit the usual notion of cosplay. I've seen Powerpuff Girls, Scooby Doo, Rainbow Brite, Futurama, etc... If someone wants to do a Disney character, that's their prerogative. In order to make an argument against Disney cosplay, remember that you need to include all the other cosplayers who go as non-Japanese characters.

Pollyanna
08-09-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, of course, cosplaying as Disney characters for the contest is a bit off. As would be entering as an original character or whatever.
But Celine is right...doing that sort of thing isn't much different than cosplaying anything else that isn't Japanese. The only difference is that someone might use the (lame) excuse of saying "But Cinderella was in Kingdom Hearts and that's Japanese!" I guess someone could say "But Powerpuff Girls is on TV in Japan!" just as easily. I'd personally rather hear "I'm doing this costume because I want to. "
I don't have anything personal against Disney cosplay or any other American animation. I just think that it's kind of lame...especially when the person doesn't have any costumes related to anything Japanese. It makes me wonder what they're doing there. I'm not saying they shouldn't be there or don't belong, though....I just wonder. ^_^
But yeah...like Michi said, Mario belongs. It's ridiculous to see Mario cosplayers, but...they technically "belong." But maybe I'm just sticking up for Mario since I was in a Nintendo group.

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-09-2002, 05:32 PM
It's very hard now to discern what video games qualify as Cosplayable... I think there's a fine line... I mean when people start cosplaying things like Mario... I dunno.... I get upset, 'cuz I really don't consider Mario a cosplayable character as much as Link is one.... ::shrugs::

I'll just have to kill people if I see a Donkey Kong is all...

Scoti
08-10-2002, 11:06 AM
yeah but Donkey Kong is from Nintendo and Nintendo is a Japanese company so I personally think you can't win in that argument ^ ^

PirateRogue
08-10-2002, 11:43 AM
don't even try to wear a costume on Disney sovereign soil. you WILL be "asked" to leave.