PDA

View Full Version : Batch shrink/compress images?

verdatum
08-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I very much would like to find an application which can take an entire directory of image files and reduce them either by lowering the resolution or raising the jpeg compression rate to a specified filesize. For example the maximum filesize for cosplay.com images. I've asked this question before in other photo-heavy forums and I've had no luck. What do you people do when you want to upload your pics? Because this "open->compress->save as->close->repeat" thing is just rediculous and obviously there is no chance I am going to set my camera for anything but the super high-res settings.

Admin
08-25-2006, 09:57 PM
There is a batch option in Photoshop under File>Automate>Batch where you can run an already created Action on an entire folder of images. This is what I do for my own images, I have an action that resizes, processes and watermarks all of my full-size images for web gallery use.

Without the use of Photoshop, there are a few programs you can try for free for a short period, one being Thumbs Plus (www.cerious.com) and another good one is Arles Image Creator (http://www.digitaldutch.com/arles/). I'm not sure what exact command order to use in those programs however.

Demonsun
08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Photoshop has a good batch feature, and I know that elements has the same thing.

There is also, if your in a hurry then you can use the Image resizer power toy,
Do a search for "XP Powertoys" on microsoft.com. and look for image resizer. I use it if i'm in a hurry,it does a pretty good job of shrinking the size down.

Edit: Elements does actualy have a command to do batch resizes. I just can't remember where it is, since I don't actually have it installedright now.

jtnishi
08-26-2006, 01:41 AM
If you're the type who just loves command line programs (yes, I'm being sarcastic, but hear me out), this can also be done using ImageMagick's "convert" utility, with the resize switch. For cosplay.com, -resize "640x640>" works best. You can even throw in a unsharp mask switch, like -unsharp 0.6x1.0+0.55, to give your images a little more oomph when you resize them.

Written into a batch file, you can quickly run through a directory of images.

Biggest upsize is that ImageMagick is open-source. Biggest downside: you have to actually know how to use the command-line to do things this way.

verdatum
08-26-2006, 02:53 AM
yes, thank you jtnishi! In fact, I am a fan of command line programs. When a program has a command line interface, that means you can script it, and when you can script it, you can make it do whatever you can imagine. This is very close to what I'm looking for. If only it could figure out take a filesize as an input, and maintaining the aspect ratio, return a picture of the required dimensions. But! I can script that. it'd be hella-slow trial and error file generation, but I don't care about processor time, just about my time burnt mindlessly clicking buttons.

Still, if anyone knows anything better, please let me know.

Ami Yuy
08-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Someone posted a link in the photographers community in LiveJournal (http://community.livejournal.com/photographers/6709453.html) this last week for a script or something that lets you set the output size for Save For Web with Photoshop. I haven't tried it yet, but there it is if you want to.

EndlessFelicity
08-26-2006, 12:56 PM
If you have Photoshop, its really very simple to create batch processes:
First, open one of the files you want to resize.
Then bring up the "Actions" window (Alt+F9)
Click on "Create new action" and name it
At this point it records everything you do, so for a resize/compress, just go up to image size, shrink the file to your desired size.
Then just hit stop on the "Actions" window, and close our your file without saving (you *can* save, but don't need to).

Go to "File" -> "Automate" -> "Batch"
select the batch you just created.
Select the folder with all of the files you want resized
pull the "Destination" drop down to "Folder", select your save to folder and then set the naming feature to your desired settings.

Then start the batch

reannaremick
08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
The one I'm most partial to is XNview. It's free, and you just select all the images you want to alter, right click, then select Convert (or "Batch Convert" depending on the version you have) and it brings up a whole menu of things you can do to them all at once, whether resizing, changing them to a diff formant, etc. There's also a batch rename that's a handy tool.

twentystitches
08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know if you can do the same thing using Paint Shop Pro? If not, those other programs look great.

photoworks.ws
09-03-2006, 01:29 PM
You can also run a batch job in Bridge in CS2 so you don't tie up PS.

Wolverine
09-11-2006, 01:32 AM
GIMP has a batch processing feature, too. Instructions on how to do so are here (http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch). There's also a script tutorial found there <-- Just check the paragraph section titled "Processing several files." I think it's command-line driven (so you should be able to run the batch script via WIN's "DOS Prompt")

GIMP is a free image manipulation tool / photo-editor / photo-retouching program, like Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro, and can be downloaded from here: http://www.gimp.org if you wanted to know.

Zegen
09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
I use an amazing program called photowatermark pro

shiroin
09-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Photoshop has a builtin Image Processor that will take care of most batching needs such as compression, resizing, file types, and color space conversion!

TRiPPY
09-20-2006, 11:25 PM
... ok i feel like an idiot now. I run a big website and in the past ive had to manualy thumbnail thousands of images without realising the program i use has a batch feature.

*hangs self*

AgentSakur9
09-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I use ACDSee 8.0 Because I don't have CS2. It gets the job done quite well.

Trelyon
09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
... ok i feel like an idiot now. I run a big website and in the past ive had to manualy thumbnail thousands of images without realising the program i use has a batch feature.

*hangs self*

::grins:: many peeps have photoshop (legal and not so legal copies)... but they use or know only about 10% of the features.

here is a cool one for photo manip

Filter >> Render >> Lighting Effects
Lighting Effects Window >> change Light type to "Omni"

:chatah:

other than photoshop... hmmm... let see...
Freeware: Mihov Image Resizer - batch resizing images, rotate the photos, converting pictures between formats

staereo
09-28-2006, 06:22 AM
I use an amazing program called photowatermark pro
Only problem with Photowatermark Pro (http://www.photowatermark.com/) is that it has the worst jpeg compression of all time. I've never seen such terrible artifacts in my life.

I use this software for batch watermarking, and believe it or not, I actually watermark in small, resized TIFs, then go back to CS2 to convert them to JPEGs. When not using TIF format as such, you avoid the terrible jpeg artifacts that this adds to the image.

The other small gripe I have is it is a resource hog and it can get frozen if you have a large number of good sized tif files to process. Even 8bit tifs at a mere ~25mb/ea can sporatically freeze after 20 or so at a time in your batch.

Bruce