PDA

View Full Version : Corsets - Buying and Wearing

Cait
08-09-2002, 02:22 PM
I'm making a princess dress. I would like to use a corset underneath the dress to improve the effect and perhaps make my waist a little more slender and my posture a little more stiff. But, I have no idea how to buy one, where to buy one, how to wear one, if wearing one is worth the effort for a costume, or anything similar.

Also, have any of the girls here ever added a little.. extra umph to their chests for a cosume? Did it work? How'd you do it?

Wow.. I feel really girly and shallow now...

~Cait

Rosiel
08-09-2002, 03:28 PM
> Also, have any of the girls here ever added a little.. extra umph to their chests for a cosume? Did it work? How'd you do it?

I've done it for a friend who costume I made...

I used shoulder pads, you know the moulded ones? They have very natural breast shapes... and a bra a few cup sizes too big. They stayed in place well and she went from an A to a big C. That works very well with close shirts because it mimics the whole shape of a breast. For something more open, I would use thick bra padding (which you can get in fabric stores in an amazing array of sizes) in a push up bra a few cup sizes too big for you.

If your dress is more low-cut, you can sew the pads into the dress itself.

I'd go with option number one myself, because then they tend to move with you instead of with the dress. And Marlene's dress is not that low-cut.

HuongStar
08-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Hmm....so celebrating the female form makes you shallow? O_o

Large intimates chains like Victoria's Secret and Fredrick's carry corsets. They usually have the most basic of styles but it doesn't sound like you need/want anything too fancy.

Rosiel
08-09-2002, 10:23 PM
> Large intimates chains like Victoria's Secret and Fredrick's carry corsets.

Expect to spend $100+ on it though. >__<
I've seen a lot of places online that make corsets that really take off quite a few inches (which I doubt VS's corserts do). Try a search on Google...

LiL QoH
08-10-2002, 12:10 AM
I got my lulu corset at fredericks..it didnt take off a couple inches like a sincher would...buuut it did give my boobs some unf! After I added two pairs of socks underneath and on the sides of my boobs to push them together LOL :o

scandia
08-10-2002, 09:31 AM
I bought a corset at JC Penney for less than 40 bucks. It can push up a bit (although I have the opposite problem). It does feel a bit too tough against your skin, hence I wear a camisole underneath it if the costume allows me to. I also wear a girdle with costumes. I will wear body shapers ONLY for cosplay- sorry mom and grandma, but they are too uncomfortable to wear with civilian clothes.

Lillyxandra
08-12-2002, 12:51 AM
>I used shoulder pads, you know the moulded ones? They have very natural breast shapes... and a bra a few cup sizes too big.

Yep that works, I did that for my Handmaid May costume. It also helps to put velcro on the inside of the bra and the padding, that way it wont shift around under the dress. You would not want the pad to pop out^_~

Cynthia
08-12-2002, 10:38 AM
They also sell kits online to make corsets yourself-the have the boning, grommits, pattern, & occasionally, the fabric-trust me you get what you paid for. They usually cost around $60, but you'll have EXACTLY what you want as opposed to what some designer thought was appropriate.

Carmila
08-12-2002, 10:48 AM
If you need a specific corset made my aunt is a wiz at making custom corsets. Feel free to e-mail me and I will send you the info on how to get in contact with her!

Koumori
08-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Corsets really aren't that difficult to make, though they do require some time, specialized materials and careful fitting. If all you need is something to go UNDER your gown (as opposed to a visible part of your costume), then the Fredericks/VS model should serve you just fine. As for "umph".. push-up bras, or pads sewn into or otherwise attached to your costume work fine. If you want to go really extreme, you could tape yourself up the way I am told they do on the Cosmo cover girls, but I'm not sure what kind of tape you'd use.

Cait
08-12-2002, 06:10 PM
*jaw drops at the sheer amount of response*

I think for this costume I'll probably try the local mondo huge bridal store or JC Penny. It's to be worn under something so I am not stressing much on it's appearance.

However I might email you Carmila should I make this other costume (Princess Eries).... I didn't know corsets could be made by normal people ^_^;

~Cait

Carmila
08-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Just an FYI my Aunt is not a normal person! She is a bit, well, different! I can tell you this though, she makes all sorts of corsets and they have 1/2 inch steel boneing in them so they won't bend and break like plastic boneing will. Just e-mail me at countess_carmela@hotmail.com and I can get you in touch with her if you want!

KuroBara
08-13-2002, 12:33 PM
*pops in*
A good place for custom fitted corsets is a Renaissance Fair / Convention. It'll probably be a little more costly though.

I need some major umph for an upcoming costume. I was planning on padding the top itself, it's for Jean of Lunar 2: EB. Her breasts aren't all that big, but there's some major cleavage going on. She's the girl on my cosplay site's layout: http://breaktheshell.fateback.com/cosframes.html
The worst part is the cleavage showing under her top. I may forgo a little accuracy to avoid that. It's easy enough to make your breasts look bigger from the top, but the bottom?!?!