PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a mask

Sun_Tze
03-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Well, I’m going to do a Larvae/Larva/Larvea[Vampire Princess Miyu] cosplay at a con here in Portugal and my real doubt is how to make that mask, and most important, finding one with the proper material to carve in the form of my face (My face form is the same as Larvae mask). I need help… What are the materials and if anyone know, please tell!

saila_v
03-15-2003, 04:09 PM
masks are tricky. i made a mask one time in my high school ceramics class and my teacher made us use a type of plaster (i'm not sure what kind) with straws stuck up our noses :p that takes a while to make and for it to dry though... but at least that way, you'll have the perfect shaped larva mask :-D as for the designs on the mask, u can try black paint (& white paint to blend in with black paint to make the grays on the perimeter of the mask).

A J
03-15-2003, 04:24 PM
You could just buy one of those pre-made blank white plastic masks and cut it up and paint it...

Garuda_Aiacos
03-29-2003, 01:23 AM
Or if Rigid Wrap (Craft Plaster Bandages) is available in your country, you can use it to create the mask. The disadvantage is that you need a friend to cast it on your face, and you got to smooth the surface (sand it maybe?).

Oh, the Pre-Made Blank Plastic Masks should be available at Craft Stores. ;)

ainslye
03-29-2003, 11:32 AM
I highly reccommend using rigid wrap... just coat your face in vasoline first so you can remove it without removing all hair attached to your face, as well. It's fairly inexpensive (about $5 here in Maryland, for one roll, and that's more than enough). Once you have someone make the general shape outlay of your face and it's dry enough to move, you can take it off and let it dry. Then you can go back and add any 3D details that you want on. It's fun stuff to play with (I'm making my ayanami plugsuit armor out of it)