PDA

View Full Version : Help with NDK

maneki_neko
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay, so NDK will be my first con (yay!) and I just had a couple of questions relative to NDK, so here goes.

Is it unusual to only cosplay on only one of the days? (I have a Kairi pink dress for sunday, and I might do Tifa on sat).

Is it weird to wear the same costume for two dif. days? (Thought about wearing my Kairi costume on fri and sun).

Do you have to do any thing other than show up in costume to be in a group photoshoot?

And basically if there's any other info anyone can give me on NDK specifically, then help this noob out! Thanks everybody, I apologize if this is in the wrong spot...

D-holla-J
09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
I know TONS of people who are only cosplaying one or two days/ changing costumes/ wearing the same costume the whole time. Basically whatever you want to do will work. I'm going as Demyx on Friday and Sunday, but as Reno on Saturday. :)

FilthyWarumono
09-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah yeah yeah! My first con I wore no costumes at all O_O And then ever since then I've worn the same costume all three days, and am just now getting into having seperate costumes. It's an anime con, do whatever you want! ^ ^

Curucar
09-02-2006, 08:19 PM
It's perfectly normal to wear a costume more than one day/less than a day/whatever. I've found that one costume per day is almost too much, however. So my con experiment this year is to wear one for half a day on sat, and then wear the last one for the rest of the time through sat-sun.

maneki_neko
09-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Cool, I was planning on tinting my hair red on Sat. night so I could have accurate colors with both chars. Anyways, thanks for everyones help.

Delvish
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
As far as costumes and what is normal, there is no such thing. As others have said there are people who don't dress up the entire time. I myself wore my Shikamaru Friday and Saturday, then didn't do anything on Sunday.
This year however I somehow managed to work up 7 costumes that I will all wear at some point or another this time, even if it is just for photoshoots. Congradulations on Cosplaying your first year at NDK. It really isn't that difficult since there is no such thing as normal, and you pretty much do what you want (within reason, i.e. hotel rules).

Oh, and I recommend checking out the Photoshoot times list thread if you haven't already. You should join photoshoots if you can, they are fun because you hang out with a bunch of people who all like the same thing as you.

darth_teca
09-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I've done both; wearing five costumes in one con weekend and wearing only two or one for the whole thing. Personally, I rather like wearing a smaller number of costumes. Not only is it less stress, but you get to spend more time AT the con. Also, people begin to recognize you, and you get to make some friends! My first con I wore my Lulu for two days and I met the most people because they came up to me and told me how much they liked me costume from the day before.

For the photo shoots, unless they are private, and they should say specifically if it is, all you have to do is show up! I woudl highly recommend going to the photo shoot because it is a great way to meet people.

Beverly
09-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Okay, so NDK will be my first con (yay!) and I just had a couple of questions relative to NDK, so here goes.

Hey, awesome! =D Welcome!

Is it unusual to only cosplay on only one of the days? (I have a Kairi pink dress for sunday, and I might do Tifa on sat).

Nope! You can cosply as much or as little as you like. ^^ There've been days I've worn up to THREE costumes in a day... and sometimes on Sunday I don't cosplay at all (too tired and lazy by then. XD). Whatever you feel like doing, go for it! =D

Is it weird to wear the same costume for two dif. days? (Thought about wearing my Kairi costume on fri and sun).

Not a bit! Like I said, no rules about wearing them. ^^ Wear them as much as you like (although you might want to spray it with a little Febreeze in between *O.o*), or as little as you like.

Do you have to do any thing other than show up in costume to be in a group photoshoot?

Have fun is my only suggestion! ^.~ Try to be a little early, as they often start RIGHT ON TIME, and if you're 5 minutes late, you might have missed it. ^^;;

maneki_neko
09-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Alright, i have a couple more questions about NDK...

Because my friend is still in high school, we have to leave either friday night or saturday morning (we live about 3-4 hours from Denver). I have a room reserved for Saturday and Sunday night at the Marriott. So my question is, is it weird to show up for just Saturday and Sunday? Will registration suck on Saturday morning? Will parking be a big issue?

Sorry for all my questions, and thanks for all your help.

Curucar
09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Parking in the hotel lot might be an issue come saturday afternoon, but there's restaurants right across the street that always have free room.
They had a nice system down last year for registration so you won't have to wait in line for hours like people did at past cons. It was nice and breezily easy with the newer system.
Of course it's not wierd to just show up for two days! That's all that my friends and I could afford until last year, and I believe that the majority of my uni's anime club are just going for one day.

maneki_neko
09-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Ugh, I thought had run out of questions, but my friend and I keep discussing and new things keep coming up. So hopefully for the last time, at least for a week or two I hope, here are two more questions. (Thank you everyone for helping and being patient with me, you've been so awesome!)

Okay so first of all, On Sat. when I'm dressing as Tifa, my friend may or may not be in costume (and definitely not from FF). So could she still come to the photoshoot with me to take pictures and what not? And plus I'll be the only one there she knows.

Secondly, my keyblade is made out of wood and PVC, so that passes the weapon rules I believe. But I was planning on getting chain (metal) for the charm on the bottom. Would that count as a "metal weapon"? Should I email the NDK staff, or should i just try and use plastic chain?

Thanks once again!

Curucar
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I went and asked about the chain on the keyblade because I'm making one also. XD From the responses I've gotton it seems like it won't be a problem to have it on there. ^_^

lilacwire
09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
In response to the weapon question, NDK is pretty good about asking people to have their weapons be peace-bonded, though if you have nice detailing work on your weapon, make sure they don't make the bond so tight it scratches the weapon. That happened to me one year and I was pretty ticked.

And as for bringing friends to photoshoots - absolutely do it. There are a lot of people who go to cons ONLY to photograph the cosplayers, so your friend will fit right in with the camera crowd and not feel out of place at all. ^^

FilthyWarumono
09-14-2006, 06:52 PM
<flails 'cause I'm starting to see people I recognize and it's making me more pumped for the con> XD;;;

Lady Neese
09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
The chain is just fine. ^.^

maneki_neko
09-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks so much everybody, you've been such a huge help. I can't wait to see everyone there. Yay!

Tenkage-chan
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey, I hope you'll bring your Tifa to the FF shoot on Sunday! 3:00, and we could always use more Tifas!