PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Contest 2006

TransurrealisTristan
09-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Have the results been announced yet for the cosplay contest?I left at 10 pm.,so I didn't get a chance to find out.Any performers you enjoyed/disliked?I was a bit turned off by all the kissing on stage.Also,no offense to the "NANA" group,but they were a bit off-key in their performance.

Let me know,as Fan's View didn't cover this con!

LEGO Renji
09-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Cat-Chan got an award for Chick-Ichigo. Way to go Cat!

CaptainCid
09-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes the results were announced. I don't exactly remember what they are. I just remember that there were so few awards given out. There wasn't a second or third place for anything.

Kikala
09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
There were so many good skits and costumes! While they were judging though, I'm glad that I was sitting on the front row with all the cosplayers on the side. You guys made me laugh so hard. XD I loved it when you guys sang to the chocobo song. ^^

Mucai
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I left during the music to get changed, then raced back down to find that they had been announced while I was going back downstairs ^^;; I only know about Cat-chan and two of the Clow Cards getting Judges awards.

Darth Sunshine
09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
It took about an hour and a half for the results to get in... One of the Vincents won best constume... I don't remember the rest, the violin music put me to sleep, and I was only half-awake when they announced the results. >_<

Danzikumaru
09-04-2006, 11:05 PM

Judges Awards:
Cat-Chan's Lolita Ichigo
the Ruby Moon and Power Card from CCS
Rosiel from Angel Sanctuary

...some extra award we were never informed of before hand... to the Anime Idol Skit (because any acts that had a kiss in them were disqualified....)

Best Costume: Vincent Valentine
Best Skit: Rikku and Aeris
Best in Show: Edward Elric with working arm-blade

astillar
09-04-2006, 11:31 PM

That one totally deserved it. Seeing her walk on stage, I was all, "Ah, another Ed. Weeee." But then she did the arm snap and bam, there was the blade. I nearly jumped out of my seat, that was so awesome!
Is that person a cosplay.com-er, by the way?

Phantom Pirate
09-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm wondering two things here:

Is the Bree from the Rikku and Aerith skit the same Team Rocket Bree that chased me all around the hotel (literally) screaming about how she wanted my Pikachu?

Is she on cosplay.com?

Kikala
09-04-2006, 11:34 PM
That one totally deserved it. Seeing her walk on stage, I was all, "Ah, another Ed. Weeee." But then she did the arm snap and bam, there was the blade. I nearly jumped out of my seat, that was so awesome!
Is that person a cosplay.com-er, by the way?
Totally agree. I'd love to know how the blade worked. After the contest when we were talking about it, we kept pondering all the different possibilities. ^^ It was an amazing costume, and great advice at the end. XD Don't buy shoe's a size too small.

Koda89
09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Totally agree. I'd love to know how the blade worked. After the contest when we were talking about it, we kept pondering all the different possibilities. ^^ It was an amazing costume, and great advice at the end. XD Don't buy shoe's a size too small.

It was a spring loaded release mechanism with a stopper that let go of the blade when it was flicked at fast speed. It takes a LOT of time to make, and she deserved to win 100%. Also, the Vincent that won was, imho, the only really GOOD Vincent.

Rocieru
09-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Hehe I was the Rociel that fortunate enough to get a judge's award, there were definately better cotumes than my though, such as the sexy Kadaj and some I can't recall by now. They shall be given same awatd as me^_^

And yeah you guys did an awesome job too, I screamed for you guys!

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
I was sad that Anderson got no love from the judges. He was...beautiful...

Koda89
09-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I was sad that Anderson got no love from the judges. He was...beautiful...

Yes......the amazing thing is....he got the BIGGEST surprise anyone could get....

He got a random picture taken of him and he said Anderson's line, "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust!". A guy behind him said, "You did that spot on!". It turned out to be one of the major people that did the dub of Hellsing(forgot who), but he was taken back by it. I even heard him say it.....and it WAS spot on with the dub!

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
He got a random picture taken of him and he said Anderson's line, "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust!". A guy behind him said, "You did that spot on!". It turned out to be one of the major people that did the dub of Hellsing(forgot who), but he was taken back by it. I even heard him say it.....and it WAS spot on with the dub!

It was the director of the English version. He signed his badge. That Anderson was amazing...

Koda89
09-05-2006, 12:52 AM
It was the director of the English version. He signed his badge. That Anderson was amazing...

Yes he was.......makes me itching to get my Alucard put together......I seriously HOPE that that Anderson goes to A-Kon 18......or Oni-Con, or any other Texas cons.....I really wonder if he is a member of this site?

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 12:55 AM
I really wonder if he is a member of this site?

I would be worried if he weren't.

Koda89
09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
I would be worried if he weren't.

Ya.....because....I....REALLY loved his outfit.....though, being as big of an Anderson fan as I am, I did spot just two things that took away from his outfit being spot on. His "scars"(which can be forgiven), and his blades. I didn't see them good enough, but it looked like his blades were just straight.....and didn't curve down like needed.....but it may have just been where I sat....

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah he wanted to commission those blades, but besides that, he is the only one I have seen who has even gotten close.

Kikala
09-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Waiting back stage he showed me all those poses and made me laugh. ^^ He was amazing, and so funny!

MarzGurl
09-05-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm still very sad that the only genre that got its own award was comedy. Seems that cosplay construction itself, drama, and clever cosplay skits will always take a backseat to what is considered "funny".

It was also a shock to learn that the incredibly awesome and dramatic Trigun reinactment of Wolfwood's death was not given an award because it "made the judges cry," which I would assume is an excellent reason to give a skit an award because it made you feel emotional.

I was also in shock that the 1 Hour Productions skit did not receive an award not because their skit wasn't good enough, but because Proz's Armstrong costume had a small hole in the crotch (which I personally never saw, so I don't know how many of you saw it).

Other than that, the Lolita Ichigo was very original and deserved the award (personal opinion), and an Ed with a fully working prop attachment for an arm is incredibly ingenious (another personal opinion). Good job, cosplayers.

ayn*chan
09-05-2006, 03:22 AM
I was also in shock that the 1 Hour Productions skit did not receive an award not because their skit wasn't good enough, but because Proz's Armstrong costume had a small hole in the crotch (which I personally never saw, so I don't know how many of you saw it).

None of us really ever confirmed that we were disqualified because of the wardrobe malfunction (though I will say that I heard the same thing). For the record, his pants ripped at the VERY end of the skit when he went to kneel for the final pose -- you can see in the video, he makes a weird face for a split second and moves his legs closer together really quick. Basically, you would have had to've been sitting where the judges were sitting (or read these posts) to know what happened.

As far as awards go...yeah, it was disappointing but the audience seemed entertained, and that's good enough for me. :)

Phantom Pirate
09-05-2006, 08:19 AM
The 1 Hour Productions thing was amazingly awesome.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I was in shock that our group won best skit over 1 Hour Productions.

(this is Aeris from When Rikku and Aeris Got Their Groove Back ^^)

Kristin and I had little time to practice our skit due to the fact that we had changed ideas, literally, two hours before cosplay rehearsal started. We practiced for about thirty minutes before attending the rehearsal.

o__o; Truth be told, she and I were improvising the entire time we were up there.

Oh-- and as to the question about me wanting the Pikachu, I don't think that was me. xDDD; But, my memory is terrible, so it very well could've been.

Proz
09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I think everyone would have known if I had decided to wear tighty-whities that evening. It's a good thing I decided to choose some dark undergarments before putting on my costume. I could clearly see from the judges reactions that they got a prime view.

Embarrassing to say the least but if it bothered me that much I would have rushed back to my room to change out. Later on I took my coat, wrapped it around my waist, then had more pictures taken because I hadn't been on the floor all day.

So a lesson to everyone: Always wear dark underwear or something that blends with your costume before going on stage and STRESS-TEST your costume.

Edit Add: I feel kind of bad because this was all Ayn's work but Ayn reassured me it's not my fault for not getting any recognition. This was catastrophic cosplay malfunction. So be it. She's right, if the fans loved it, it was all worth it. If anyone else had gone through what I went through, they would have died from embarrassment. I laugh at this whole ordeal.

Rip_The_Hunter
09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I wonder what would have happened if someone did a green leaves's yatta! skit? *wonders*

Instead of having the judges consist of people from the dealers room, i wish they would have consisted of some of the guest artists or local people from animation houses like Reel FX or Janimation. Some of the animation houses in the DFW area are looking for more community involvement, plus some of the cosplayers i came across were studing in the animation field. It would be a great for those who are interested in the industry to meet represenatives from the animiation houses, as a type of industry insight.

Danzikumaru
09-05-2006, 03:12 PM
I wonder what would have happened if someone did a green leaves's yatta! skit? *wonders*

Instead of having the judges consist of people from the dealers room, i wish they would have consisted of some of the guest artists or local people from animation houses like Reel FX or Janimation. Some of the animation houses in the DFW area are looking for more community involvement, plus some of the cosplayers i came across were studing in the animation field. It would be a great for those who are interested in the industry to meet represenatives from the animiation houses, as a type of industry insight.

Honestly, I'd MUCH rather prefer it if more COSPLAYERS judged us. There was only one cosplayer on the judges panel, and Emily DeJesus does wig styling and that's it....

Koda89
09-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Honestly, I'd MUCH rather prefer it if more COSPLAYERS judged us. There was only one cosplayer on the judges panel, and Emily DeJesus does wig styling and that's it....

Ya......if I was one of the judges.....the costumes that won, would've still won....well, besides the Clow Cards....sorry girls, but I preferred the Alexander Anderson over ya'll. but you were good, too. And...best comedy skit would've went to FMA CSI. The "Rice Ball" Award would've went to the Wolfwood death skit.

Lady Saea
09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Alright this is going to be a long post...mostly ranting. I apologize beforehand. x.x;

1) I thought that it was horribly run and organized...seen by how they had to re-number us as we waited in line and the horribly created entry form that barely asked for any information and was not very clear.

2) The lack of awards available. There were only 2 costume awards besides the judge's awards. No divisions and no 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Only 1 skit award? Only comedy? Disappointed me. Btw, I'm not disappointed about not receving an award. There were many awesome costumes there and those who did win deserved it for the most part. I just loved that I got half "boo"s and half "cheers". Bwahaha.

3) How long the rehearsal took...geezus. Nuff said.

Alright, from this point on, most of these are rumors I have heard. If they are true, then they stand, but if they are not, could you please clear them up for me? If anything sounds like a put down to a cosplayer, I apologize as it is not coming from me, but from a rumor.

4) Apparently all kissing-involved skits were disqualified. Even if they weren't appropriate for the con, they were not informed of this at rehearsal. They passed through rehearsal fine and then at the contest, they get disqualified without warning?

5) To the FMA skit that got disqualified (so I've heard) (Btw, I LOVED your skit), didn't the crotch rip happen either during the skit or the rehearsal? Either way, it was NOT planned. That was a bad decision on the judge's part, I believe.

6) I heard a rumor that the Trigun skit (which was awesome as well) got disqualified because it made the judges cry. ...Do I need to even say anything? Thats retarded.

7) Okay, no offense meant here AT ALL. I *heard* a rumor that the Edward Elric that won best of show with the spring arm blade (which was awesome, I admit...very very very awesome) bought the rest of her costume. I hope this isn't true...but if it is...it really disappoints me. They really didnt do any screening or asking about the costumes and whether they were mostly made by the cosplayers/friends/etc.

</rant>

If any of these rumors that I've heard are untrue, please clear them up for me. Besides what I've mentioned, I did enjoy many of the skits and loved many of the costumes. ^.^

I kinda wished I hadn't used the Aeris plushie for the walk on...I want people to appreciate the costume as well and not just the plushie's addition. Even though the announcer didn't announce it (it was written poorly on the sheet by staff), I was cosplaying Sephiroth based on the Amano artwork and my girlfriend, SchizoIori and I put a lot of effort into making that costume as accurate as possible. So I hope people noticed that and not just the plushie.

... </rant>...<again>

Blah. Sorry about the long post!! Btw, it was great meeting a lot of you! ^_^

Koda89
09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Jonobi....I DID notice your outfit, and still cheered at the plushie....loved it. That reminds me...if I was a judge, I would've either given the Anderson or you my personal award.....honestly.

Proz
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
5) To the FMA skit that got disqualified (so I've heard) (Btw, I LOVED your skit), didn't the crotch rip happen either during the skit or the rehearsal? Either way, it was NOT planned. That was a bad decision on the judge's part, I believe.

I'll just say.. it wasn't obvious AFAIK until the last pose. If anyone has any clear pictures or videos, I will be able to tell you.

The show must go on is what they say.

Lady Saea
09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Jonobi....I DID notice your outfit, and still cheered at the plushie....loved it. That reminds me...if I was a judge, I would've either given the Anderson or you my personal award.....honestly.

^.^ Thanks a lot! Yes, the Anderson was amazing. Very good representation and I loved his poses.

I'll just say.. it wasn't obvious AFAIK until the last pose. If anyone has any clear pictures or videos, I will be able to tell you.

The show must go on is what they say.

Yeah, I don't know if it was visible or not at all. I was in the back of the room so I couldn't get a good view. But he handled it very well and I loved the skit so much.

Koda89
09-05-2006, 04:24 PM
^.^ Thanks a lot! Yes, the Anderson was amazing. Very good representation and I loved his poses.

Yeah, I don't know if it was visible or not at all. I was in the back of the room so I couldn't get a good view. But he handled it very well and I loved the skit so much.

Well, change "he" to "you", as Proz IS the Armstrong in the skit.......which was awesome, again.

MarzGurl
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM

6) I heard a rumor that the Trigun skit (which was awesome as well) got disqualified because it made the judges cry. ...Do I need to even say anything? Thats retarded.

These two are things that I personally heard from staff members. At Anime Win, Lose, or Draw, Emily DeJesus was the moderator, and she was the one who made the comment about the 1 Hour Productions/FMA skit with Proz's Armstrong crotch hole. I was shocked when I heard that out of her mouth.

The same thing goes for the Trigun skit. I personally asked a staff member during the Closing Ceremonies Ending Gripe Session about potentially creating a Drama award in cosplay and brought up the situation with the Trigun skit. She said that she was there with the judges, urging the judges to come to a decision. What she told me was that these judges chose not to award the Trigun skit because it was so good that it made them cry, and it was the judges' perogative to not award a skit that made them cry.

These are two things I am considering facts at this moment it time, as I heard this information from judges and staff members who were directly in contact with judges.

khenemetset
09-05-2006, 04:53 PM

To be honest. I wasn't really impressed with very much about the cosplay contest. I'm just hard to please though so that might be it. There were maybe 3 costumes and 2 skits that I thought were ever worthy of attention and none of them won anything.

If they were going to disqualify skits for certain things they shouldn't have allowed them anyway. If they're so concerned about it being a 'family con' they also need to ton down everything in my opinion from the costume they allow to the MC's comments. Also costume malfunctions shouldn't have anything to do with judging in my opinion. It's not something that's planned. *shrugs*

Personally...I'd like to see less skits the focus on Yaoi and/or Yuri. It's getting to be cheap now in my opinion, something that's being used to get the screams and fangirls/boys in the audience rialed up. Yes I'm a yaoi fangirl but there's no need to over use it people -especially in the ways it was used in most of the skits.

Cat-Chans
09-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I think that the FMA CSI skit was leaps and bounds above the other skits, this rummor makes me really sad.

Even thought there were some things that didn't tickle my fancy, and the organization was...not good...I had a lot of fun just haning out in line with everyone.

I got a chance to talk to the Cosplay director on Sunday morning and told him I thought that they could have been a little more organized and stuff. He was cool, remember that this was his first year and there are always kinks when you try to do something for the first time. Hopefully next year will run more smoothy.

ayn*chan
09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Alright this is going to be a long post...mostly ranting. I apologize beforehand. x.x;

1) I thought that it was horribly run and organized...seen by how they had to re-number us as we waited in line and the horribly created entry form that barely asked for any information and was not very clear.

First of all, I LOVED your little Aeris plushie -- WAY too cute! Your costume was fantastic as well. <3

Anywho....yes, I agree, AnimeFEST is usually hosts the most unorganized cosplay event in the state. Holding a group of 100+ cosplayers from 3pm until midnight (when the awards are finally given out) is outrageous -- when are these kids supposed to eat?! Unless someone brings them food or they order something (and food isn't supposed to be in the Main Programming room), there's no chance for them to eat anything once "rehearsals" have started.

Also, it took the judges took FAR too long to decide on, what? Four awards? It should NOT take nearly two hours to decide on a handful of awards.

And for the official record on the crotch rip (I'm the Edward Elric from the FMA CSI skit) -- a SMALL rip happened during rehearsals about an hour before cosplay started that we stitched back together while we were waiting in line. The BIG rip didn't happen until the end of the skit. In the video we have, the only clue that anyone sitting anywhere besides the front row would have as to the Big Rip was the face Proz makes for a split second after he poses. But seeing the posts here, that you guys liked it, is just so flattering. I would rather perform a skit that the audience loved than win an award for a skit no one liked. :heart:

peony
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Jonobi-I also would like to say that I noticed you were Amano!Sephy, and knowing that Amano versions are much more detailed, I noticed all the little things you made to your costume. Your plushie was just hilarious, but I did notice your overall costume. Yay Amano versions! <3

Lady Saea
09-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I hate to make a post just for a sentence or two, but thanks a lot, Peony. ^_^ I really appreciate the comments. Btw, more Aeris's need to carry around flowers. :D For a bit, I stuck the flowers next to Aeris on the sword. XD

peony
09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
They were quite a hassle, I was coming from Huntsville and stuck them in a wastebasket from my bathroom full of water and held that in my lap the whole ride up XD And they liked to shed everywhere, and by the end of the day they were wilting XD

I had fake flowers at A-Kon, but real ones were more fun. If you're cosplaying Aerith, you should either have flowers or at least her staff, which...blargh. But I actually had a guy take one and stick a dollar in my hand XD gooood times

Phantom Pirate
09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Does anyone have the pictures of Jonobi stabbing me as Ash? An entire group of fanboys came up and took pictures- at least one's gotta be a cosplay.com-er...

TransurrealisTristan
09-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Hate to shift gears in thei thread,but were there any performances that didn't win that you enjoyed?Please post them so we can hear your opinion.

I enjoyed act #59/Keyblade Workout....OMFG.What a funny infomercial!I got to know him before the show and he was a great guy.The Miroku who got beat up/final solo skit was highly hilarious(sp?) as well.

However,after reading through the main AFEST thread,the majority wishes for J-Rocker Dark to be finished.But,I'd like to bring back this act to A-Kon 18 before grabbing a new song.Yes,I was the one who performed "Faint",act 61!

The audience was great and one girl said I did better than the "Nana" group.However...what do you have to say about my act?Do you wish for me to bring it back to A-Kon 18,grab a new song or do something else?

Koda89
09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
It was good......I even mouthed all the words to it....because I remembered the majority of Linkin Park's songs.....it was pretty ok.

I already explained the other ones that I loved...

Amaya De'Morte
09-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Hate to shift gears in thei thread,but were there any performances that didn't win that you enjoyed?Please post them so we can hear your opinion.

I enjoyed act #59/Keyblade Workout....OMFG.What a funny infomercial!I got to know him before the show and he was a great guy.The Miroku who got beat up/final solo skit was highly hilarious(sp?) as well.

However,after reading through the main AFEST thread,the majority wishes for J-Rocker Dark to be finished.But,I'd like to bring back this act to A-Kon 18 before grabbing a new song.Yes,I was the one who performed "Faint",act 61!

The audience was great and one girl said I did better than the "Nana" group.However...what do you have to say about my act?Do you wish for me to bring it back to A-Kon 18,grab a new song or do something else?

I think.. for the most part.. it's best to keep out of the whole "who did better than who" discussion/comments to a drastic minimum. Everyone went up there and gave it their all, and while some skits went over well and others did not.. it's best not to say things that could hurt people's feelings.

TransurrealisTristan
09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
It was good......I even mouthed all the words to it....because I remembered the majority of Linkin Park's songs.....it was pretty ok.

Thanks,Koda89.You're probably one of the only fans who supported me that's from cosplay.com for this part.

Amaya,sorry,but I'm kinda stressed with loads of negative talk about my skit....

The only fans for my skit:

Most of the solo skit people,a Naruto group,an EGL Rei,the Malice Mizer group and a Squall Lionheart.Now,to add Koda89 to my fans with RaDragon76.

In your opinion,do you think I should have won an award for my attempt?Also,I have a joke for all of you:

Fan:Where's Daisuke and the Harada twins,Dark?
Me:*laughs*Krad has kidnapped them and placed them in Siberia.
Fan:No!
Me:*laughing*You can contact him at 'I_Hate_Dark@verizon.net'.
Fan:LMAO!

Fans were asking me loads of questions and this walk-on with the blue shield asked me to help get the costume ready.Even Miroku!/o/

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I honestly thought that the FMA CSI skit should've won over ours. They obviously put so much more work into it than Kristin and I did-- it's kind of unfair that we won a prize for something we barely worked on at all.

Best comedy, sure, but overall, I wish they had a prize for best Skit and then subdivisions such as drama, comedy, parody, etc, because I know that Vash and Wolfwood would've taken the cake with their amazing drama skit.

Even though the cosplay was fun, I have to say that it could've been run better. The three hour cosplay rehearsal was simply ludicrous. We barely had enough time to run back up to the room, eat dinner, and get back at 7:30.

Does anyone else think there should've been a wider variety of categories? I think that they could've divided the walk-ons into groups and individuals since a lot of the group walk-ons were just overlooked.

Agh. D: sorry for ranting. XD; our giant Final Fantasy mob has had a lot of time to talk this over...

Especially the big FF walk-on group. They were the better half of our group and in my opinion, they had an excellent walk-on timing... I mean, their ending pose was pretty freaking cool. xD; And Squall was kind of sad that they were overlooked...

But, that's just me. I think I'm biased because they're some of my good friends, but like... I don't know. They worked harder on their timing and ending pose than Kristin and I did on our skit. I think they deserve a little something for working harder than the comedy skit winners... --;

Thanks for listening to my obscenely long rant. o__o;;

Amaya De'Morte
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks,Koda89.You're probably one of the only fans who supported me that's from cosplay.com for this part.

Amaya,sorry,but I'm kinda stressed with loads of negative talk about my skit....

The only fans for my skit:

Most of the solo skit people,a Naruto group,an EGL Rei,the Malice Mizer group and a Squall Lionheart.Now,to add Koda89 to my fans with RaDragon76.

In your opinion,do you think I should have won an award for my attempt?Also,I have a joke for all of you:

Fan:Where's Daisuke and the Harada twins,Dark?
Me:*laughs*Krad has kidnapped them and placed them in Siberia.
Fan:No!
Me:*laughing*You can contact him at 'I_Hate_Dark@verizon.net'.
Fan:LMAO!

Fans were asking me loads of questions and this walk-on with the blue shield asked me to help get the costume ready.Even Miroku!/o/

no worries- just a friendly reminder^^

Koda89
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
ACME-Rain, you could've won an award, but the problem is.....for WHAT? There wasn't a "Best Musical Performance" award, sadly........

IMHO, the awards should've been;

Best in Show
Best Single Costume
Best Group Costumes
3 Judges Awards
Best Skit
Best Drama Skit
Best Comedy Skit
Best Action Skit
Best Musical Performance

Boom, 11 awards, which is something that DOES deserve nearly 2 hours of debating on!

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 10:35 PM
ACME-Rain, you could've won an award, but the problem is.....for WHAT? There wasn't a "Best Musical Performance" award, sadly........

Best in Show
Best Single Costume
Best Group Costumes
3 Judges Awards
Best Skit
Best Drama Skit
Best Comedy Skit
Best Action Skit
Best Musical Performance

Boom, 11 awards, which is something that DOES deserve nearly 2 hours of debating on!

Yes! Exactly! They made us wait for a while and they came out and gave out only a few awards... Like, what, five?

FMA CSI would've won Best Skit, hands down. They were so amazing. XD I still refuse to believe that we were more funny than they were. It just... doesn't add up. :/

Ryouko
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I have no faith in those judges, after finding our the Trigun skit didn't get squat. They totally deserved -something- for that great performance. I also agree that the CSI FMA skit was awesome, I laughed so hard. XD

To be honest, I'm not that nuts about musical performances. Unless you're dressed as a character and you sing a song from THAT show...in character, or something, then MAYBE I'll enjoy it. Otherwise, it just doesn't belong in a cosplay contest. A good example I can think of is from Otakon a few years back, where a guy fully dressed as a black Chocobo played the chocobo theme on a guitar, quite awesomely. You could tell it wasn't something just thrown together.

Anywho. Yeah. Trigun tor the win.

Koda89
09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
I have no faith in those judges, after finding our the Trigun skit didn't get squat. They totally deserved -something- for that great performance. I also agree that the CSI FMA skit was awesome, I laughed so hard. XD

To be honest, I'm not that nuts about musical performances. Unless you're dressed as a character and you sing a song from THAT show...in character, or something, then MAYBE I'll enjoy it. Otherwise, it just doesn't belong in a cosplay contest. A good example I can think of is from Otakon a few years back, where a guy fully dressed as a black Chocobo played the chocobo theme on a guitar, quite awesomely. You could tell it wasn't something just thrown together.

Anywho. Yeah. Trigun tor the win.

Well true, but those few that wanted to do singing, were finda FORCED to enter the cosplay contest if they wanted to show it off.....as there was no other way of showing it off....

Abarero
09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I would rather perform a skit that the audience loved than win an award for a skit no one liked. :heart:

Amen to that! To me audience reaction/love is far greater than any prize, trophy, or gifts. I compete in cosplay skits because I want the people to enjoy it, not because I want to win.

And seriously, adding to the long list of the comments on it. To you guys in the FMA CSI skit- you were completely awesome, I loved all your costumes, and the plot to your skit was so creative! Major love to you guys and boo to sucky wardrobe-malfunction disqualifications.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I got plenty of compliments on our skit, but I can't help but feel like we totally cheated.

I mean, our original idea was re-writing Lou Bega's Mambo #5. Every cosplayer and his dog knows full well that it wouldn't have won anything or even gotten some chuckles out of anyone. It would've been terrible.

Kristin and I were going for something that would make people laugh, even if it were just a few chuckles here and there. We were almost positive when we sat down after our performance that there would be someone better coming up to show everyone what a real well-done cosplay skit would look like. And when the FMA CSI skit (you guys were hilarious, by the way-- excellent job on the Koolaid guy idea. xDD That was pure genius!), I was positive that they had it in the bag, and I was excited!

I nearly had a heart attack when the judges called out our names. I felt happy, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel like we'd cheated. Does that make sense at all?

ayn*chan
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I honestly thought that the FMA CSI skit should've won over ours. They obviously put so much more work into it than Kristin and I did-- it's kind of unfair that we won a prize for something we barely worked on at all.

Hay hay haaaaaay~ don't discredit yourselves!!! You guys were really cute and had really cute costumes, and your skit was lacking in singing/kissing/yaoi/profanity, which equates to an awesome act in my books, and I think a lot of people here will agree with me. You deserved every ounce of "Best Comedy".

Normally, AnimeFEST gives out a truckload of awards (something along the lines of Best Comedy, Best In Show, 4 or 5 judges awards, Best Group, 1st and 2nd runner up....something like that) with trophies (no trophies this year, wtf?) but then again the cosplay was headed up by some new folks this year so that's probably why things were a little kooky this time around. What I suggest to everyone who wasn't happy with how things were run is send an email to the cosplay people at AnimeFEST and tell them what suggestions you have for next year. Hopefully they'll take our suggestions to heart. <3

Ryouko
09-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Well true, but those few that wanted to do singing, were finda FORCED to enter the cosplay contest if they wanted to show it off.....as there was no other way of showing it off....

That's why cons need a karaoke room. x_o;

Neeymuffin: I thought your skit was definately cute! You shouldn't put yourselves down so much.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Hay hay haaaaaay~ don't discredit yourselves!!! You guys were really cute and had really cute costumes, and your skit was lacking in singing/kissing/yaoi/profanity, which equates to an awesome act in my books, and I think a lot of people here will agree with me. You deserved every ounce of "Best Comedy".

Normally, AnimeFEST gives out a truckload of awards (something along the lines of Best Comedy, Best In Show, 4 or 5 judges awards, Best Group, 1st and 2nd runner up....something like that) with trophies (no trophies this year, wtf?) but then again the cosplay was headed up by some new folks this year so that's probably why things were a little kooky this time around. What I suggest to everyone who wasn't happy with how things were run is send an email to the cosplay people at AnimeFEST and tell them what suggestions you have for next year. Hopefully they'll take our suggestions to heart. <3

Oh, thank you. You give us far too much credit. I'm so happy that everyone liked it! It makes it feel like Rikku and Aeris really did get their groove back.

I've been a regular fixture at AnimeFEST since 2003, and I know that there are usually a bunch of awards for everyone. I think I will send in some suggestions since this years was bumpy, to say the least (I've been going for four years and I'm talking like the con expert-- someone shoot my ego before it smothers someone).

Then again, this was our first year doing cosplay, so I don't think I have much room to talk. Dx; I've watched every year and it felt different being in it, but even if I were watching, I still would've been angry that Trigun and FMA/CSI didn't take home anything worth while.

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
I got plenty of compliments on our skit, but I can't help but feel like we totally cheated.

Nah. Your skit was awesome. It was really creative. Though I do agree that some people deserved awards and didn't get them.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Nah. Your skit was awesome. It was really creative. Though I do agree that some people deserved awards and didn't get them.

You were the Turks, right? xD You guys were so amazing! Kudos to you guys, I just about laughed my face off.

Thank you! I'm hoping to keep up the creative streak for AKon, but the Vengeful return of Rikku and Aeris doesn't look so promising at the current moment. xD

It's true, though. With only the three judges, it seemed kind of... lacking. It's sufficient enough to say that the cosplay hit some turbulence this time 'round. (sorry if I mispelled anything-- I'm sitting over here writing notes on Alexander the Great and I'm totally out of it from the lack of sleep e__e)

MintyFreshNinja
09-05-2006, 10:59 PM

hell yeah! anderson deserved something! (my personal fav. hellsing character)

trigun should have gotten an award,

fma group was awesome

tip: just wear sailor moon boxers next time:hafha:

Kikala
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
I think the problem with the lack of awards was that they were sent to the wrong place. They probably only had a limited amount of free stuff they could give out, and that's why everyone was getting certificates. But, that's just my opinion in the matter.
But I do wish they would have told people what was going to get them disqualified, I'm not sure if they did or not, but that would have been a good idea. 0.o; Well, I guess we know for next year eh? I might be helping backstage again, cause it was awsome talking to you guys. ^^

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
You were the Turks, right? xD You guys were so amazing! Kudos to you guys, I just about laughed my face off.

Thanks. That was pretty much made up waiting in the rehearsal hell.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks. That was pretty much made up waiting in the rehearsal hell.

That's the most effective name I've ever heard for that wait in the ballroom. xDD

I don't remember who said it (was it you guys?), but someone said it would've been funny if everyone forgot to wake up Rufus during the Shinra building explosion.

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't remember who said it (was it you guys?), but someone said it would've been funny if everyone forgot to wake up Rufus during the Shinra building explosion.

Someone told us since we didn't have a Rufus, it'd be funny to talk about him missing. We just decided it'd be even funnier to leave him when the building is destroyed.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Someone told us since we didn't have a Rufus, it'd be funny to talk about him missing. We just decided it'd be even funnier to leave him when the building is destroyed.

Haha. xD You had the right idea. Your stage presence as Tseng was so... Tseng-like, for lack of better words, that running like hell was the natural option for anyone.

CaptainCid
09-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Haha. xD You had the right idea. Your stage presence as Tseng was so... Tseng-like, for lack of better words, that running like hell was the natural option for anyone.

Yeah. I am definitely keeping Tseng just for that reason. He was a test run this year and I'm glad it worked.

Neeymuffin
09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah. I am definitely keeping Tseng just for that reason. He was a test run this year and I'm glad it worked.

Congratulations. There aren't many people that can have the omnipotent presence of Tseng.

Cat-Chans
09-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I have to say...to me musical preformances don't belong in the cosplay show. Unless you are a character that sings in the show/manga and you are singing a song from that AND are acctualy SINGING
(becuase far to many times I've sat through kareoke)
then it realy has no place.

If you want to sing then go to Kareoke, most cons have it, some cons have even started American Idol type competitions for those that want to sing.

Lady Saea
09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I agree about the musical performance. Unless its a big well rehearsed reinactment of a music video (like PLC, etc) or unless you're performing a song (on instruments or singing, but something well prepared). Though they didn't have a karaoke room which was disappointing to most.

Yay for Tseng!

Just a random curiosity thing...do you think I got disqualified for brutally sliding a bloody Aeris doll down my sword? XD I hope so. That'd make my day. (not being sarcastic)

CaptainCid
09-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Just a random curiosity thing...do you think I got disqualified for brutally sliding a bloody Aeris doll down my sword? XD I hope so. That'd make my day. (not being sarcastic)

OMG! That would be so funny! That just made my night.

DjPhReAksTyLe
09-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Another Cosplay opp. missed out on due to the military...

If I don't go to Oni-Con I'm going to scream.

Proz, got pics of the "malfunction" yet?

Hedgehogey
09-06-2006, 12:33 AM
The audience was great and one girl said I did better than the "Nana" group.

OK. I GET it. Something was drastically wrong in our skit (I was the guitarist). I understand that I screwed up. Now if anyone has any real, constructive feedback (especially re:audio engineering/levels) for me regarding my first cosplay skit (indeed, first cosplay ever), i'd love to hear it, since I think the idea still has a lot of potential, if it's done with enough preperation.

CaptainCid
09-06-2006, 12:39 AM
OK. I GET it. Something was drastically wrong in our skit (I was the guitarist). I understand that I screwed up. Now if anyone has any real, constructive feedback (especially re:audio engineering/levels) for me regarding my first cosplay skit (indeed, first cosplay ever), i'd love to hear it, since I think the idea still has a lot of potential, if it's done with enough preperation.

Personally, I think people are giving you a more of a hard time than you deserve. Don't take this the wrong way, but from where I was standing it sounded pretty bad. Though take into consideration the fact that the sound people were not really prepared for that kind of skit and one of the songs you played wasn't really rehearsed. Honestly I agree that a skit like that does not belong in cosplay, and perhaps that is why you're getting negative feedback. In all retrospect, it would've been perfect for kareoke.

Abarero
09-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Well since I already gave my two-cents on musical performances in another thread, I'll just link it here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=1545190&postcount=897

As I said there, when there isn't a karaoke contest things that people might consider to be karaoke are entered into the cosplay. (granted all singing skits are not karaoke. The ones our group does for example are re-written song lyrics- the songs not even being J-pop or J-rock.) This is something that I don't really fault the entrants for- if they really have their heart set on singing at the convention for a contest, then that's great for them- but if there's no karaoke contest they end up in the cosplay where people tend to go "this isn't a karaoke contest" and bitch at them for it.

In short, more conventions need to look into doing a karaoke contest. A lot of great karaoke-performed-at-cosplay groups would do great, even be definitely winners at a well-run karaoke contest.

Hedgehogey
09-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I thought it was kindof appropriate for cosplay because the characters are musicians and those were two songs performed in the anime. Plus the guitar was the same model.

Also, I really would have liked it if somebody had told me all this during rehearsal. I know everyone was really busy with their own skits and I was a complete stranger, but I would have taken seriously anyone saying "no offense, but that sounded pretty awful.".

Amaya De'Morte
09-06-2006, 01:14 AM
if it'd be rehearsed- it would've been wonderful.. and I think it took alot of guts for you both to get up there and do something you weren't ready for. Perhaps next time, talk to some people that are used to performing on guitars to such a large group, and find out their audio set up (you'll have to find out how to work with the limited resources). you both seemed to just slightly be out of key with each other, with her singing a bit faster (or slower, depending on the song) and you a bit slower. so work on you both getting into tune with each other, along with a beat system. Alot of singers/guitarists bounce and move not to be awesome, but to give visual representation of the beat they both need to be on. Or, if you really want, pre record yourselves playing, set it lower than you play, and then go over that. That way, if your stuff does not transfer well onto the sound system the con has to offer, you at least have some backup. Not sure how many would take this however, or if they'd realize it was you and your singer on audio.

Test a few things, you've got plenty of tries

I think you should retry, perhaps. But with more practice. Perhaps try to look around on some japanese sites for some sheet music, too. Nana being as popular as it is, I can imagine something like that exsisting ^^

But kudos to you (and everyone who does skits) I'd never have that kind of guts.

Hedgehogey
09-06-2006, 01:25 AM
if it'd be rehearsed- it would've been wonderful.. and I think it took alot of guts for you both to get up there and do something you weren't ready for. Perhaps next time, talk to some people that are used to performing on guitars to such a large group, and find out their audio set up (you'll have to find out how to work with the limited resources). you both seemed to just slightly be out of key with each other, with her singing a bit faster (or slower, depending on the song) and you a bit slower.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I could NOT hear her sing so I had to basicly guess at the timing. I need a longer chord so I can be at the front of the stage, where I can hear. I bet ramen and rice know something about this...

I think you should retry, perhaps. But with more practice. Perhaps try to look around on some japanese sites for some sheet music, too. Nana being as popular as it is, I can imagine something like that exsisting ^^

Believe me, I have. There is no tablature for Rose anywhere, but i've been over it dozens of times trying to match the chords and I think i'm, if not there, at least very close.

Glamorous Sky I did play from sheet music. The song, however, is played with two guitars (it's Hyde actually!).

But kudos to you (and everyone who does skits) I'd never have that kind of guts.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

Cat-Chans
09-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Well, as I said before...if it's in character then I understand why it makes sense. I'm sure you uderstand that for next time more practice and better planing for the sound problems would be good.

TailFluff: were you the one that did the Lum skit, becuase I thought that was cute. You could tell a lot of time was taken to rewrite those lyrics. Thats the kind of musical skit I can apreciate.

Abarero
09-06-2006, 01:40 AM
TailFluff: were you the one that did the Lum skit, becuase I thought that was cute. You could tell a lot of time was taken to rewrite those lyrics. Thats the kind of musical skit I can apreciate.

Yep, we were the Lum skit. ^^;

To the 'Nana' group: I think a lot of the suggestions made so far are main ones you need to take into consideration. I have a guitar myself and I know just tweaking the amp alone can be tricky. As others have said- talk to others who have performed with a guitar/singer combo. They can probably give you tips on what's the best way to get your performance to look and sound your best. ^^

Blue_warrior
09-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Hello folks!
I was the Vash in the Trigun skit. First off, I'm not complaining that we did'nt win anything, we were there to have fun not to win. Wolfwood and I seriously hoped that everyone enjoyed our skit! I also want to apologise for making any fangirls/fanboys cry LOL. Basically we were in line and we noticed that everyone was doing comedy so we decided to go for a tear-jerker. The whole point we were trying to make was that you don't need slapstick comedy or yaoi smootching to make a great skit. Most of the planing and blocking for our skit was done while we were in line during rehearals! My only gripes here are that
(A) there were'nt enough prizes given out. Instead of a few expensive prizes, why not more less expensive prizes?
(B)Another complaint is that the judges knew no background information about individual costumes! ( I personally hand-made about %90 of my costume including the boots and both guns!)
I heard one of the judges was a Trigun fan and wanted to turn thier nose up at my cos-play. If the judge actually WERE a hard-core Trigun fan, they would know my costume was based on the MANGA Vash, not the T.V. series. This reflects on the opinion that COSPLAYERS should judge COSPLAY. Not dealers. . . .end of rant.
Again, I hope everyone injoyed our skit. Wolfwood and I were stoked to hear all the cheering from the crowd...thats what its all about. If anyone has any feedback for us we'd love to see it!
LOVE AND PEACE!
-Bearded Vash-

Rocieru
09-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Vash sama~
I do!! You guys' performance totally rocked!! It reminded me of an AMV that made my eyes watery in the last Onicon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kImzhOa4_O4&mode=related&search=
Youguys' dramatic effect were no less than the AMV, or even past that level, GJ guys!!

P.S:This maybe an inappoprirte question(especially when asked in this thread XD) but with what meterial, and how did you built up your revolver? from what I saw understage, the barrel and cylinder assembly folds forward instead of being one piece-That was very cool.I've built one out of an S&W M629 model gun before and it doesn't has the capability of folding,just if you'd please share the technique here and make me drool:angel: ,again,sorry for being gunnut-ish...

Rociel

Neeymuffin
09-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Hello folks!
I was the Vash in the Trigun skit. First off, I'm not complaining that we did'nt win anything, we were there to have fun not to win. Wolfwood and I seriously hoped that everyone enjoyed our skit! I also want to apologise for making any fangirls/fanboys cry LOL. Basically we were in line and we noticed that everyone was doing comedy so we decided to go for a tear-jerker. The whole point we were trying to make was that you don't need slapstick comedy or yaoi smootching to make a great skit. Most of the planing and blocking for our skit was done while we were in line during rehearals! My only gripes here are that
(A) there were'nt enough prizes given out. Instead of a few expensive prizes, why not more less expensive prizes?
(B)Another complaint is that the judges knew no background information about individual costumes! ( I personally hand-made about %90 of my costume including the boots and both guns!)
I heard one of the judges was a Trigun fan and wanted to turn thier nose up at my cos-play. If the judge actually WERE a hard-core Trigun fan, they would know my costume was based on the MANGA Vash, not the T.V. series. This reflects on the opinion that COSPLAYERS should judge COSPLAY. Not dealers. . . .end of rant.
Again, I hope everyone injoyed our skit. Wolfwood and I were stoked to hear all the cheering from the crowd...thats what its all about. If anyone has any feedback for us we'd love to see it!
LOVE AND PEACE!
-Bearded Vash-

Vash~~! You and Wolfwood were amazing. <3 My mother's a huge Trigun fan and she loved you guys.

Your skit was touching. Rikku and I were in the back staring in awe as we tried our hardest not to cry. Also, kudos for carrying Wolfwood off-stage!

I'd rather see a whole bunch of small prizes given out than a small number of big prizes. To be honest, I would've been happy with just the certificate if it meant that there were more awards to be given out. >>;

When you went for tear-jerker, you definitely achieved it. I still stand by it when I say that you deserve some kind of recognition. ^-^;;

Saejima
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
The only thing i regret about the cosplay Contest was that I was in a skit that wasn't really a good idea it was the one with rude, Vincent, Mustang,and the undertaker. I was offered to be in the turks one I regret not taking that one. I would have felt at home.

Eared Inu Yasha
09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
I believe the kissing rule is listed in the rules on the website. It sounds familiar. However, I think they should have gone over such things at rehearsal.

I loved the FMA Koolaid. That was very cleaver. I think there should have been an award for "Most Cleaver" or original or something.

And on that topic. Skits should be judged as a whole. Them getting disqualified because of a rip at the end on one costume that was barely noticeable does seem extreme. Craftsmanship is defiantly important -- but isn't that more aimed toward the costume awards and not the skits?

I also think there should be an award for Best planned/rehersed. Some skits you can just tell how much work was put in to it. The malice mizer group for example. Golly! All that choreography and coordinating where all the props would be. It was very on point and well done. You could just see all the work that went into it.

Here is another idea. Best Audience reaction. What do you think? Some skits get lots of screeming.:P

My personal opinion on musical skits. Keep it short. Edit the songs. Especially if you are going to lip sing. It may be cute at first, but a minute can be a long time and more is pushing it. As for people actually singing performing, it should be kept short too. --Unless they sound just freaking awesome. On another note the more people singing the longer the time grace period. For example the Final fantasy group who sang "he had it coming" 2 years ago was totally long and totally awesome and there were tons of characters.

And if a group really sounds awful ... they should really be unallowed to perform
Sound should be tested ahead of time to make sure that doesn't throw them off. (long rehearsal ... why are there these kinds of problems)?

If the rehearsal is so long why cant it be like an audition. Some people eliminated earlier. Such as 3 walk-ons of the same character by different people.

On the Infomercial guy. It was totally funny, but I felt that is was really drawn out. It should have been shorter. Also the length didn't honor the single person time limit.

On another note... I really missed the cosplay cat walk. Other years they played music and for the walk-ons the cosplayers came out and posed like models. The music keeps it fast paced and gives the cosplayers a beat to go to. I love it when they dance! It just has a really fun feel. :)

Most of the awards went to, in my opinion, people who totally deserved them. There were a couple that I think weren't the ideal choice, however. But as everyone has said, there were too few awards anyhow.

Blue_warrior
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Vash sama~
I do!! You guys' performance totally rocked!! It reminded me of an AMV that made my eyes watery in the last Onicon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kImzhOa4_O4&mode=related&search=
Youguys' dramatic effect were no less than the AMV, or even past that level, GJ guys!!

P.S:This maybe an inappoprirte question(especially when asked in this thread XD) but with what meterial, and how did you built up your revolver? from what I saw understage, the barrel and cylinder assembly folds forward instead of being one piece-That was very cool.I've built one out of an S&W M629 model gun before and it doesn't has the capability of folding,just if you'd please share the technique here and make me drool:angel: ,again,sorry for being gunnut-ish...

Rociel

Sure! Both of my guns are made from white pine, a simple and inexpensive everyday wood. I made a template of the gun after ALOT of research, and used a scroll saw to cut it out in two pieces. The cylinder is a piece of PVC pipe. In the newer gun that folds, the cylinder also rotates via a socket wrench with the handle cut off lol. I added a layer of wood filler paste to the entire gun then sanded it smooth, then painted. Thats it!
hope that helps!
-Bearded Vash-

Haro
09-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey all. I'm the Ran (pink dress) from the Urusei Yatsura (Lum) skit, Tomobiki Town.

We did a musical skit this time around. What we tried to do was make it truly a 'musical,' as in we were singing the dialogue of a story, complete with actions. I will say that the comment the judges made about singing was discouraging, as although we sang, there was still a skit within the performance. I don't know if they were speaking of us at all as one of the singing skits (especially since they said that before awarding a skit that featured about two minutes of lipsynching), but it was discouraging and I'd hate for masquerades to lose any and all musical elements because of blanket statements being made.

I've seen several good skits, amazing skits, in my years of attending masquerades, that included song and dance. Two years ago a musical skit won best in show at this very con.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of discussions on the idea performing music in skits, and I did notice the surplus of it here. Here are my opinions on it:

1- Lipsynching skits- No. Unless you are lipsynching to a pre-recorded audio of you singing, I'm not comfortable with this in a cosplay contest. They don't even do this in karaoke. I'd be okay with it were it a very short bit in a longer skit, but to just go up there and lipsynch is something I feel is inappropriate for a masquerade. Exception would be something with a lot of dance and choreography like the Malice Mizer performance.

2- Skits where someone just goes up and sings an already existing song- I'm iffy on this. On one hand I feel it is much more appropriate for karaoke, but on the other hand I do think it's possible to do a performance that is 'skit-like' while doing this. It's kind of a slippery slope. However, I will say that I think if you're just going up and singing a song, you should keep your performance fairly brief.

3- Filk- That's taking an already existing song and rewriting it, usually humorously. I am absolutely okay with this, but unless you're doing an actual 'skit' along with it, then once again I think it should be kept brief.

Shoutouts to the FMA and Trigun skits by the by. You all not getting awards was quite a letdown. :(

Neeymuffin
09-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I believe the kissing rule is listed in the rules on the website. It sounds familiar. However, I think they should have gone over such things at rehearsal.

I loved the FMA Koolaid. That was very cleaver. I think there should have been an award for "Most Cleaver" or original or something.

And on that topic. Skits should be judged as a whole. Them getting disqualified because of a rip at the end on one costume that was barely noticeable does seem extreme. Craftsmanship is defiantly important -- but isn't that more aimed toward the costume awards and not the skits?

I agree. The minor detail about Armstrong's costume didn't draw away from the fact that the skit was genuinely funny.

Now, if it'd been some gaping hole where all you could do was stare in wonder at how he'd gotten through the day without a con official getting onto him, that might call for a disqualification.

But the fact remains that it went relatively unnoticed. And really, the Koolaid guy was genius. xDDD

ayn*chan
09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I didn't see any rules on kissing listed in the cosplay rules...however, rule number ten states:

"The CosPlay staff may disqualify anyone for any reason deemed sufficient."

:untrust:

RaDragon76
09-06-2006, 08:50 PM

Best in Show
Best Single Costume
Best Group Costumes
3 Judges Awards
Best Skit
Best Drama Skit
Best Comedy Skit
Best Action Skit
Best Musical Performance

Koda- Those would be the catagories I would have for awards as well. Most cons that I've had experience with have at least that many awards to give out, which makes for more chances to win. Also it's been my experience that most of the judges at a cosplay contest are Journeyman or Master class cosplayers or at the very least have some experience at cosplaying themselves.

I thought there were a lot of problems with the cosplay contest myself.

1. Three hours for rehearsal is a long time for someone in the contest to be waiting. People need to be able to have time to eat and so forth before the contest starts otherwise they'll get sick and dehydrated before they even get on stage. It might be better to have the skits presented to get them approved by the cosplay coordinator at another time rather then right before the show starts. At ACen you go in to present your skit to the coordinator on the morning before the contest so that it doesn't interfer with getting food and resting before the contest. Another idea might be to have the participants email the coordinator their skit's script so that it can be checked and approved/disapproved months before the con.

2. If there is a problem with skits that contain Yuri/Yaoi or even kissing then those skits should not be allowed to go on no matter what and it should be made clear in the cosplay contest rules in bold print if neccessary. Those skits should have never been allowed to compete if it was against the policy of the convention.

3. Two hours was a long time to decide on a handful of awards. I'm glad you all took longer then the people at ACen did but still there was no reason for the length of time involved in coming to a decision about who was getting awards especially since it appears that several of the skits got disqualified for one thing or another anyway.

Neeymuffin
09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
2. If there is a problem with skits that contain Yuri/Yaoi or even kissing then those skits should not be allowed to go on no matter what and it should be made clear in the cosplay contest rules in bold print if neccessary. Those skits should have never been allowed to compete if it was against the policy of the convention.

In my opinion, if it wasn't stated specifically in the rules that kissing (more specifially yuri and yaoi kissing) wasn't allowed, then they it shouldn't have been grounds for disqualification.

In AnimeFest 2003, there was a Matrix group that kissed and no one really had any problems with it.

Then again, it was Neo and Trinity... This year, it was yuri and yaoi, so I guess the circumstances were different. ==; But there wasn't anything saying that there couldn't be that kind of kissing, either.

TransurrealisTristan
09-06-2006, 09:30 PM
To Koda89:

Thank you so much for backing me!I'll be performing this skit again at A-Kon 18,lest I get a new song....*signs autograph*

"To Koda89
Thanks for supporting me 100% in all this conflict.
Soar higher,
"Phantom Thief" Dark Niwa"

*points up*This is for you*:)

Jet_Texas
09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
A few observations

At the time I did not realize that the group/skit players were kept in rehearsal so long, It must have really gotten OLD fast as there was really nothing to do but wait.

As for the rules, I agree that if the con does not want a specific item or items in the play they should say so in writing or at least via announcement during rehearsal.

There have been a lot of comments on the Guitar / Song. I would like to say in there defense that using there amp & the sound system meant for some VERY bad acoustics it was a shame that some one from AV did not work with them on it, but in defense of AV it is the Director of Cos needed to stepfoward and make sure that equipment was properly used.

I did find it interesting that the light system was designed to make sure that most of the costumes were not the right color, but that was a very minor thing.

Before stage I had talked to the Game Group with the wheel Barrow the intent of the act was that she had a bad react to a potion (healing I think)

All in all I had a GREAT time, first time to go on stage and then see cosplay. The only other con I went up on was Ushi and there was no room for the cosplayers to sit after performing, did get to see it later on video - but it really is not the same.

Thanks to all who where there and made it so fun.

Neeymuffin
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
A few observations

At the time I did not realize that the group/skit players were kept in rehearsal so long, It must have really gotten OLD fast as there was really nothing to do but wait.

As for the rules, I agree that if the con does not want a specific item or items in the play they should say so in writing or at least via announcement during rehearsal.

There have been a lot of comments on the Guitar / Song. I would like to say in there defense that using there amp & the sound system meant for some VERY bad acoustics it was a shame that some one from AV did not work with them on it, but in defense of AV it is the Director of Cos needed to stepfoward and make sure that equipment was properly used.

I did find it interesting that the light system was designed to make sure that most of the costumes were not the right color, but that was a very minor thing.

Before stage I had talked to the Game Group with the wheel Barrow the intent of the act was that she had a bad react to a potion (healing I think)

All in all I had a GREAT time, first time to go on stage and then see cosplay. The only other con I went up on was Ushi and there was no room for the cosplayers to sit after performing, did get to see it later on video - but it really is not the same.

Thanks to all who where there and made it so fun.

Your costume rocked, it really did. xD It took me a few times seeing you pass, but I finally realized that it was Jet, and I was like, "Whoa, his costume rocks!"

It got old. Fast. ><; They had technical difficulties with the laptop right when they started calling up the group walk-ons and skits, so we waited... and waited... and then waited some more.

Though, I did get to meet a bunch of amazing people. xD Because of the people I met in line for cosplay, this is the best AnimeFest I've ever had. <3

The Hyatt's ballroom is pretty big, and I'm glad they sectioned off some chairs for the cosplayers, even if it was in the very back. o_o;; -has terrible eye sight even with the glasses- So I stood off to the side to watch. XD;

Kikala
09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I was amazed that the cosplayers had to sit in the very back. 0.o; I originally was told they'd be sitting in the front, so after hearing that you guys would have to sit in the back, I was pretty upset. ;.;
Rawr, well, here's hoping next year I might actually get to enter the contest and it will over all be better. ^^;

khenemetset
09-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I do have a small question to ask. Well two small questions.

1. What all got disqualified?

and

2. Does anyone have a list of who/what won?

Kikala
09-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Judges Awards:
Cat-Chan's Lolita Ichigo
the Ruby Moon and Power Card from CCS
Rosiel from Angel Sanctuary

...some extra award we were never informed of before hand... to the Anime Idol Skit (because any acts that had a kiss in them were disqualified....)

Best Costume: Vincent Valentine
Best Skit: Rikku and Aeris

here ya go ^^;

Mune-Pop
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
That Ed won? He was AWESOME! So that skit won? I thought it would've been that Kool-aid one. X3

CaptainCid
09-06-2006, 10:49 PM
The only thing i regret about the cosplay Contest was that I was in a skit that wasn't really a good idea it was the one with rude, Vincent, Mustang,and the undertaker. I was offered to be in the turks one I regret not taking that one. I would have felt at home.

Yeah. We offered man. But you wouldn't have fit into the timeline.

khenemetset
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
here ya go ^^;

Go figure it was in the topic but I didn't see it. Thanks. :D I thought there were others too besides those. O_o Oh well.

I'm trying to figure out why somethings won over others. I guess the world will never know.

Arei
09-06-2006, 11:38 PM
CaptinCid your doing Loz you should be in my skit we got a Yazoo and im kadaj or I can be in your skit about the turks because im going to be Rod from Final fantasy 7 BC

Arei
09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
This is my girlfriends thing but it is me Vincent so if i cosplay Rod you can actually inegrate me because tecnically he was in the FF7 game whem weapon struck

CaptainCid
09-06-2006, 11:41 PM
CaptinCid your doing Loz you should be in my skit we got a Yazoo and im kadaj or I can be in your skit about the turks because im going to be Rod from Final fantasy 7 BC

That would be fun! Yeah, I'm drawing stuff up for Loz now, looking at everything I can get my hands on. His "Dual Hound" is going to be a toughie.

Saejima
09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
See Rod but let me know which skit you and the others prefer

Ryouko
09-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Haro: I just want to tell you how much I really liked your skit. It was a great example of how singing can really be worked into a cosplay contest without seeming out of place. Course, I'm also a sucker for Beauty and the Beast, so I'm a bit biased. XP but I thought the singing was well done, and kudos to pre-recording.

The Mizer choreographed (sp?) skits are always amazing too, just like the music videos. T_T;;;

CaptainCid
09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
See Rod but let me know which skit you and the others prefer

Well...

"My" Reno couldn't make it to Afest. He will be at A-kon and we will do something with the Turks. But he is also doing Yazoo as well. And I'm not sure about this or not, but "our" Kadaj will probably be with us at A-kon. So yeah I have no idea what's going down yet since A-kon isn't for a while.

Lady Saea
09-07-2006, 12:42 AM
CaptainCid, by "our" Kadaj, do you mean the one from A-Kon? Hiiragi? If so, yay!! Shes awesome. ^_^

Arei
09-07-2006, 12:45 AM
cool i dont know

Arei
09-07-2006, 12:45 AM
dammit im signed back on my girlfriend

RanChan03
09-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I didn't see any rules on kissing listed in the cosplay rules...however, rule number ten states:

"The CosPlay staff may disqualify anyone for any reason deemed sufficient."

:untrust:

I agree with ayn on this

oh yea ^_^ Hi guys I was the Miroku skit this year and well i thought i might add in my two sense on this

I am trying to figure out if people this year learned from the a-kon incident with their cosplay.

That being, when did karaoke, singing and lip syncing become a skit? I mean don't get me wrong, some of the singing this year was actually pretty good, but still imo it doesn't belong in the cosplay skits and it definitely won't win any awards at a family oriented convention.

The whole yaoi and yuri thing, i thought from what i saw in during the rehearsal that they didn't allow it, but it was done either way. Yaoi and Yuri in a cosplay is not very tasteful

I was in a skit at afest 2 years ago and we couldn't even say panties, but the kissing they let get away with was allowed O_o wth is with that.

Anywho i am sort of miffed at the cosplay. One Hp certainly deserved to win best in show. Even from the back no one could even see the hole in the crotch because with the lack of light everyone looked like a shadow and i couldn't even see it when i was up front. And even if it did happen it wasn't intentional, malfunctions happen all the time.

Oh yea another thing was that on the cosplay sheet here were the categories:
Walk On
Skit
Sub Categories
Single
Group

Now this made me thing, oh wow afest is doing something new this year and they are going to have a solo category for the skits. Because you know how hard it is for a single person to compete up against a whole group.

That never happened and it took the judges till all till midnight to judge us and for what only 7 awards O_O I went to afest and if the judges took that long of our time, they came back with nearly 10-14 awards, and a WHOLE lot more swag. Other than that that's my rant for the cosplay this year at afest, besides that and the pooping incident that happened outside my room, afest was really fun. Tho i am glad that there's better judging at the other conventions i have been too.

P.S If you all could, i am wondering if i had any strikes on my skit because when i did the proposal thing i saw one of the judges put their hands in an X and i am trying to figure out how the heck would that give me a strike against my name.

Thanks ^-^

Much Love kids and i hope to see some of you at future conventions.

I apologize if this rant hurt people and i really didn't mean too, this was something i wanted to get off my chest. That's all

CaptainCid
09-07-2006, 01:06 AM
CaptainCid, by "our" Kadaj, do you mean the one from A-Kon? Hiiragi? If so, yay!! Shes awesome. ^_^

Yes, I do! She is so amazing.

Mune-Pop
09-07-2006, 01:16 AM
I agree with ayn on this

oh yea ^_^ Hi guys I was the Miroku skit this year and well i thought i might add in my two sense on this

I am trying to figure out if people this year learned from the a-kon incident with their cosplay.

That being, when did karaoke, singing and lip syncing become a skit? I mean don't get me wrong, some of the singing this year was actually pretty good, but still imo it doesn't belong in the cosplay skits and it definitely won't win any awards at a family oriented convention.

The whole yaoi and yuri thing, i thought from what i saw in during the rehearsal that they didn't allow it, but it was done either way. Yaoi and Yuri in a cosplay is not very tasteful

I was in a skit at afest 2 years ago and we couldn't even say panties, but the kissing they let get away with was allowed O_o wth is with that.

Anywho i am sort of miffed at the cosplay. One Hp certainly deserved to win best in show. Even from the back no one could even see the hole in the crotch because with the lack of light everyone looked like a shadow and i couldn't even see it when i was up front. And even if it did happen it wasn't intentional, malfunctions happen all the time.

Oh yea another thing was that on the cosplay sheet here were the categories:
Walk On
Skit
Sub Categories
Single
Group

Now this made me thing, oh wow afest is doing something new this year and they are going to have a solo category for the skits. Because you know how hard it is for a single person to compete up against a whole group.

That never happened and it took the judges till all till midnight to judge us and for what only 7 awards O_O I went to afest and if the judges took that long of our time, they came back with nearly 10-14 awards, and a WHOLE lot more swag. Other than that that's my rant for the cosplay this year at afest, besides that and the pooping incident that happened outside my room, afest was really fun. Tho i am glad that there's better judging at the other conventions i have been too.

P.S If you all could, i am wondering if i had any strikes on my skit because when i did the proposal thing i saw one of the judges put their hands in an X and i am trying to figure out how the heck would that give me a strike against my name.

Thanks ^-^

Much Love kids and i hope to see some of you at future conventions.

I apologize if this rant hurt people and i really didn't mean too, this was something i wanted to get off my chest. That's allWhen you said that, they gave you "the no" signal? That's not fair. You looked great up there and made a lot of people smile *And scream*! And why can't we kiss? No fair!

I guess lip-synching and singing are okay, as long as you add dancing or something to it, OR PUT EFFORT INTO IT!

stylwear
09-07-2006, 01:53 AM
OK yeah i definatly agree that some off these disqualifications were really really dumb...the kissing was way over done though.

i want to know why it took 2 hours to give out 5 prizes? that was way way too long for only that amount. they need to up the anty there. now ive only been to like 6-8 cons so far but ive noticed one thing...a majority of the time when the cosplay awards for like best in show, 1st runner and 2nd runner up they are a majority of the time Female...the only way ive seen a guy win was the Dragonzord of last year, and then like the best butt contest...but overall we guys dont get recongnized.there are so few guys that are willing to do the cosplay compeition because there's like 1 one in 100 chance they could win something. now i personally do it just because its fun and like hearing the crowds reaction. Is there anyone that would be opt for a male and female category and then have the best in show and others? i think we would get more guys up there if we did. What did you guys think of that Shunsui with his pink kimono? it was awesome yet i havent seen it mentioned once.

anyway thats my two cents...if only had had that two cents left after leaving the dealers room.

RanChan03
09-07-2006, 02:00 AM
you know what i think i found your two cents because i found 2 pennies on the ground after leaving the dealers room ^_^

Neeymuffin
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
It seems like the judges were really knuckling down this year on disqualifications!

If they disqualified Miroku, they disqalified him for being Miroku. It'd be out of character if he didn't go around asking women to bear his child and groping them!

By the way, thanks for groping me in line for the Cosplay, Miroku. xDDD It made my night. <333

RanChan03
09-07-2006, 09:08 AM
It seems like the judges were really knuckling down this year on disqualifications!

If they disqualified Miroku, they disqalified him for being Miroku. It'd be out of character if he didn't go around asking women to bear his child and groping them!

By the way, thanks for groping me in line for the Cosplay, Miroku. xDDD It made my night. <333
^-^ np np

khenemetset
09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Hmmmm, sounds like almost everything got disqualified for one reason or another, except the Aerith and Tifa (?) skit that won. I'd like to know if the Yu-Gi-Oh skit got some kind of strike against it that took it out of the running. In my opinion that skit was better than the one that won.

As to singing, dancing and flag routines. Those are NOT skits, not unless singing, dancing and flag routines are important to the storyline of the anime. I don't think they should allow them to be honest.

And...with all these things being disqualified for the various reasons. I'd like to know why they gave the Anime Idol one an award (even if it was a stupid award). It had sexual inuendo in it with the room number line. Now, they had changed the line from the guy giving her the key to his room to just the room number instead but still it was the samething.

Mucai
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
The only reason the judging too so long was because they took them up to the bar to get drunk :P

That, and they might have had to let R&R get enough time on stage.

Hedgehogey
09-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Yaoi and Yuri in a cosplay is not very tasteful

Duder you did a skit where you asked girlies to hellof bear your children.

MarzGurl
09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
The only reason the judging too so long was because they took them up to the bar to get drunk :P

That, and they might have had to let R&R get enough time on stage.

Ramen & Rice didn't like being the placeholders for that long, though. They were starting to get really uncomfortable, even playing songs that they weren't sure they could flawlessly pull off. :lost:

lysariala
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Ramen & Rice didn't like being the placeholders for that long, though. They were starting to get really uncomfortable, even playing songs that they weren't sure they could flawlessly pull off. :lost:

indeed.
i love ramen adn rice, but making them act liek performing monkeys to fill in time with hecklers adn such is really awful. theyre too talented to put up with that crap >_<

RaDragon76
09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I think they could have taken a lot less time with the judging to be honest. There were only five awards and with most of the skits having been disqualified for one thing or another (as rumor has it anyway) it was only the walk-ons that they really needed to decide on. If the judges here were like other judges I've had experience with then they already had decided who their favorites were and all that was left for debate would have been instances when all three judges couldn't agree. Maybe there needs to be some kind of cap on the amount of time judges are allowed to make decisions in so that the contestants and audience don't have to cool their heels for hours after the event could be over.

As for R&R...They should have told the coordinator that they would play for only a certain amount of time after which they would leave. Other musicians in the same situation would have told them that ahead of time. That might have limited the time the judges had to make decisions.

Mucai
09-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I think maybe they should have had better judges and not people they got out of the dealers room.

Cat-Chans
09-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I think actual cosplayers make the best judges
D:

As for Yaoi and Yuri...yes a lot of people like it, but a lot of people don't.
I think disqualifying simply for kissing isn't the best idea, but in all honesty the FMA skit did cross the line of family decency, not just becuase of the kisses, but for the portrayed drunkeness and the Reason Whinry kissed Hawkeye.

BUT
that was the only skit that was bordering on not G.

IMO Yaoi is a cop out in a skit, you know he crowd will give you a good reaction so you do it but I've never seen a GOOD skit with Yaoi in it.

RanChan03
09-07-2006, 03:49 PM

I was doing it as part of miroku's character, i have no real reason to ask that because i have a loving gf :-p

slaveofmydreams
09-07-2006, 03:57 PM

There's always next time Vincent. Me and the Reno still love you.

-The Elena who broke down and got an account here despite sucking in the costume making area.

RanChan03
09-07-2006, 04:02 PM

P.S Your english hurts my head

Hedgehogey
09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
P.S Your english hurts my head

It is such as an affectation of a socal accent. Anyway, my point is, when you performed that skit you lost the moral high ground in telling people what is or is not tasteful.

Mune-Pop
09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Before we know it, they'll be disqualifying people for having shorts above their knuckles. :P

An AnimeFEST dresscode *Snorts*.

RanChan03
09-07-2006, 06:03 PM
It is such as an affectation of a socal accent. Anyway, my point is, when you performed that skit you lost the moral high ground in telling people what is or is not tasteful.

I don't think at all that my skit was at all insulting, I was playing the part of the character and was somewhat expected of me doing that costume. I went into character and played it to the best of my ability. My skit was done with all intents and purposes of keeping it family friendly. There were not any sexual references or anything. used, i just basically did what the character in the anime would do, it was approved during rehearsal, and all i had to do was change one thing in the skit.

Yaoi and Yuri are things that run on the adult genre and shouldn't be done at a family oriented convention. They aren't very tasteful in the slightest bit.

Anyways, afest is done and over with, and i would like to say congratulations to all those that won the awards.

Mune-Pop
09-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Dude, he did a cool job, and obviously, by the looks of it, the judges seem to have no taste in humor whatsoever.

Why the heck did Anime Idol get an award?! Sure, Mizuki's (SP) was cute, but SHE USED RANDOM JAPANESE! If I was a judge, I would've deducted points for that. D:

RaDragon76
09-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I think actual cosplayers make the best judges
D:

All the cosplay judges that I've had experience with or that I know personally are also cosplayers themselves and are frequently of the Journeyman or Master ranking. I have trouble accepting the decisions of judges who don't have cosplaying experience or at the very least costuming/seamtress experience. How can you judge the construction and presentation of a costume without some working knowledge of the work that goes into a costumes construction?

IMO Yaoi is a cop out in a skit, you know he crowd will give you a good reaction so you do it...

I have to agree. People who use Yaoi/Yuri as the plot device that drives their skits are just doing it for the attention that it will get from the audience. Whether that attention is positive or negative doesn't matter. Personally I think Yaoi/Yuri belongs in the appropriate place, which is in the shows that are marketed as such or in Shonen and Shojo-Ai series and should be left there. None of that has any place at a family friendly con nor in series which are not labeled as such. Pairs created by fans just for the sake of Yaoi/Yuri annoy the hell out of me.

Neeymuffin
09-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Geez, the way everyone's talking, it's like we won because we were the only "family-oriented" cosplay. xDD;;

Eh. I wouldn't be surprised. :/ I'm in shock and awe that we won over FMA/CSI and Mokuba's Kidnapping.

Rikku and I didn't expect to win, not in the least. But, the judges seemed to kind of like us...

Would you guys still laugh if we had a sequel next AnimeFest? We're already working on Rikku and Aeris Get Their Groove Back... Again. xD;

It's the same general concept, but we're trying to work in some props and we're thinking of bringing in some other characters at the very end. xD;

Despite the fact, it's like... Our idea was a good one, but it wasn't as developed as the other skits-- after all, they brought props and had obviously rehearsed to the point where they weren't improvising the entire time they were up there.

RaDragon76
09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Geez, the way everyone's talking, it's like we won because we were the only "family-oriented" cosplay. xDD;;

Eh. I wouldn't be surprised. :/ I'm in shock and awe that we won over FMA/CSI and Mokuba's Kidnapping.

Rikku and I didn't expect to win, not in the least. But, the judges seemed to kind of like us...

Would you guys still laugh if we had a sequel next AnimeFest? We're already working on Rikku and Aeris Get Their Groove Back... Again. xD;

It's the same general concept, but we're trying to work in some props and we're thinking of bringing in some other characters at the very end. xD;

Despite the fact, it's like... Our idea was a good one, but it wasn't as developed as the other skits-- after all, they brought props and had obviously rehearsed to the point where they weren't improvising the entire time they were up there.

I couldn't tell that you were improvising at all so maybe you two were the only ones that knew that. I was surprised to hear that you were improvising most of the time myself. That being said though I was surprised that you won over the other two skits you mentioned. I'm not sure why I liked the other two better but I do know it didn't have to do with the way you presented your skit. FMA/CSI skit was the best one on stage IMO and should have won.

ayn*chan
09-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I think disqualifying the skits that had kissing was more at the discretion of the judges moreso than it was at the discretion of the actual convention or the folks in charge of cosplay. I think it had more to do with the fact that every other skit had some sort of yuri/yaoi and/or kissing reference, and I'm sure that got old after a while.

What it boils down to: do something diffrent guys. (I'm not talking to those people who already know to avoid adding those elements into your skit...you guys are cool.) Yeah, kissing and all that stuff gets a good reaction, but I get sick of seeing it in nearly every skit at every convention I attend.

And the general rule of thumb with doing anything musical -- KEEP IT SHORT. If you're going to sing, do an edited or short version of the song. Believe it or not, there's no rule that says you have to use the ENTIRETY of your time limit -- sometimes the best skits are the ones that are short and sweet and to the point. ^_~

Neeymuffin
09-07-2006, 08:18 PM
I couldn't tell that you were improvising at all so maybe you two were the only ones that knew that. I was surprised to hear that you were improvising most of the time myself. That being said though I was surprised that you won over the other two skits you mentioned. I'm not sure why I liked the other two better but I do know it didn't have to do with the way you presented your skit. FMA/CSI skit was the best one on stage IMO and should have won.

Thank you. We made sure to go with the flow of what the other was doing instead of looking at the other like, "what on earth are you doing?!" if it was something that we hadn't done before.

Rikku slapping me was something she added. I just went with it instead of going like, "what was that?" Most of our arguing was thrown in, too.

We let loose with it, in all actuality. We just kind of took what course came to mind and made sure to keep everything on-track and within the logic of reason.

We wholeheartedly agree that our win was probably the biggest fluke we'd ever seen. Most of the cosplayers were telling us, "oh, one hour productions wins every year, there's no possible way we could win against them."

And after seeing their amazing idea and well-coreagraphed skit, I didn't doubt them for a second.

Believe me, it was the shock of my life when I heard them say our names. o__o;

CaptainCid
09-07-2006, 08:53 PM

-The Elena who broke down and got an account here despite sucking in the costume making area.

Eleeennaaaa! It's Tseng...Groom me.

Danzikumaru
09-07-2006, 09:59 PM

Honestly, disqualifying someone's entry for doing something trite isn't any better than if the same thing was ever so slightly not for the CHYULDREN...not getting an award for trite humor and getting disqualified for it are two WHOLLY different things, and I don't think WE deserved to be disqualified at ALL (and honestly, I could care less if the audience will explode everytime, Kimba and I finish all of our bits with a kiss now. It has nothing to do with slash, fan pairings, yaoi/yuri, or anything similar at all. It's because that's what we do.)

So, in short, it shouldn't matter if it's a cheap gimmick. I've seen a million cheap gimmicks in skits in the past, and yet kisses between same gendered characters seem to be the only ones people complain about....

CaptainCid
09-07-2006, 10:08 PM
So, in short, it shouldn't matter if it's a cheap gimmick. I've seen a million cheap gimmicks in skits in the past, and yet kisses between same gendered characters seem to be the only ones people complain about....

Yeah...All the world needs is a little more Yaoi and Yuri to lighten up our lives.

Mune-Pop
09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Heh, heh.

So you improvised? Even though it was funny and made me laugh; my favorite was the FMA/CSI one. XD I think they deserved to win, no offense I promise!

Saejima
09-08-2006, 12:29 AM

Well I might be Vincent or Rod most likely Rod If you see Rufus tell her to do a Rod ID and a vincent ID Please and Tseng me as Rod know you got and even larger Gang we should get all the BC (Before Crisis) Charecters.

P.S. My Avatar is of Rod just so you know.

Proz
09-08-2006, 02:12 AM
the best skits are the ones that are short and sweet and to the point. ^_~

Quote For Truth. You have 30 seconds to impress people. If after 30 seconds you've lost their attention, you've lost the skit. IMHO.

RanChan03
09-08-2006, 09:43 AM
hehe i think my skit did just that only i took 30 sec too long :-p heheh

Lex chan
09-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I was a little disappointed that not more people were awarded for SOMETHING. I remember when AnimeFEST was at its first location and they would make up awards on the spot for people XD. It was always really funny to see the things that they came up with like... "Sexiest dead guy award"

RaDragon76
09-08-2006, 11:02 AM

Honestly, disqualifying someone's entry for doing something trite isn't any better than if the same thing was ever so slightly not for the CHYULDREN...not getting an award for trite humor and getting disqualified for it are two WHOLLY different things, and I don't think WE deserved to be disqualified at ALL (and honestly, I could care less if the audience will explode everytime, Kimba and I finish all of our bits with a kiss now. It has nothing to do with slash, fan pairings, yaoi/yuri, or anything similar at all. It's because that's what we do.)

I wasn't exactly complaining about your skit because it contained kisses between same sex characters (even if I see that as a cheap plot device used in skits to get audience attention) I was mainly complaining about it because I've seen a whole con season's worth of similiar type skits and get tired of seeing the same skit type over and over like it's some kind of flavor of the year. It gets boring after awhile. Last year it was Naruto fighting skits that I got tired of, this year it's Yaoi/Yuri related skits based on shows that don't have that implication for me, and next year who knows what it'll be.

Proz
09-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Last year it was Naruto fighting skits that I got tired of, this year it's Yaoi/Yuri related skits based on shows that don't have that implication for me, and next year who knows what it'll be.

My bets is that it'll have something to do with Bleach or whatever becomes the next big fad [on AS].

josshouse
09-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Afest used to be my favourite :< *sad*

TransurrealisTristan
09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Afest used to be my favourite :< *sad*

I thought AFEST was gonna be a great con!But,with this experience down pat,I'm not headed back next year.No offense...josshouse,I agree with you.It's quite mediocre compared to other years,right?

josshouse
09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah. It ruled in the past. I think O-Chibi is my favourite con ^_^ Though O-Chibi kindof died, and it's being rebirthed as AtsuiCon...um...I'll get back to yall on that >_>

peony
09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
O-Chibi ruled because that was OUR con, we knew the people running it and...yeah. That got me into cosplay XD

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 12:42 AM
O Chibi con? I love it just because of the name. XP

Some of the skits it seemed like the people didn't even try; and they made it up on the spot. 0_0

Cat-Chans
09-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Wow, this was a bad year for Afest?
if this was bad then I would LOVE to go on a good year because I had an effing blast. It was the best con I've been to all year, quite possibly ever.

CaptainCid
09-09-2006, 01:57 AM
if this was bad then I would LOVE to go on a good year because I had an effing blast. It was the best con I've been to all year, quite possibly ever.

Yeah. There was a new director this year if I'm not mistaken. It will get better trust me.

Koda89
09-09-2006, 01:58 AM
To Koda89:

Thank you so much for backing me!I'll be performing this skit again at A-Kon 18,lest I get a new song....*signs autograph*

"To Koda89
Thanks for supporting me 100% in all this conflict.
Soar higher,
"Phantom Thief" Dark Niwa"

*points up*This is for you*:)

:bigtu:

I'll be entering A-Kon 18's cosplay contest also. Either as a walk-on Aizen, or a skit with a few of my Bleach buddies.

ayn*chan
09-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Man, I hate to say this but Texas cons seem to ALL be going downhill....is it just me or does it seem like a lot of the more experienced cosplayers head to California and other out-of-state conventions instead of attending the local ones?

Koda89
09-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Man, I hate to say this but Texas cons seem to ALL be going downhill....is it just me or does it seem like a lot of the more experienced cosplayers head to California and other out-of-state conventions instead of attending the local ones?

They are......atleast....if you are talking about Oklahoma cosplayers.....

Amaya De'Morte
09-09-2006, 03:46 AM
I wanna go to AX... soo very badly.

Danzikumaru
09-09-2006, 03:47 AM

It does seem like that, unfortunately, that's why I feel it's up to us, the ones that have stayed here (especially me and Kim as Cosplay Directors for three conventions...even the one we rarely mention because we were conned into it) to make certain all Texas cosplayers blossom and make the Texas Cosplay scene respectible again. Because being the home state to a bunch of awesome cosplayers is nice and all, but we want people coming HERE to compete...

I give you my promise as Cosplay Co-Director of Ikkicon, San Japan, and ....yes and Chimeracon, to ensure this for our future as a state! Go Texas! Remember the Alamo and some such!

Proz
09-09-2006, 07:58 AM

Why are they going West Coast? Why not go East Coast?

This year was "Stay for the Con but beware of the Cosplay Contest. Aaaaaaaaargh!"

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 10:00 AM
I want to go to Anime Expo, too. I bet they have good cosplay contests...>__>

RaDragon76
09-09-2006, 11:25 AM
If this was an off year for AFEST then I really would like to see a good one too. Like Cat-chan I had a blast at the con and it's been the best con I've attended all year so far cosplay contest not withstanding.

Why are they going West Coast? Why not go East Coast?

I don't have any experience with West Coast cons myself though I've heard that the cosplayers out there are really awesome but I do know from experience at one east coast con that in general the people there tend to be rather rude and the cosplay there isn't stellar either. There are a handful of excellent cosplayers but most of the stuff I saw at last year's Otakon was nothing to write home about and not even half as good as the stuff I'd seen at two Midwest cons I attended prior to that.

Lady Saea
09-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I do agree some things could've been better at this year's A-Fest, but like Cat-Chan, I had a blast and really had fun meeting some new people.

Anyway...it is true that some West and East coast cons attract cosplayers...I really want to go to AX myself and I've been going to Otakon for the past 3 years. Its been run beautifully (besides this years Hall Costume Contest) every year and Texas cons could learn a thing or two from it. O.o;

Even so, I still will go to A-Kon, AnimeFest and possibly Oni-con and others every year because theres always enough awesome people and fun times to keep me enjoying my time at the con.

Phantom Pirate
09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I've noticed the impending suckiness of the Texas cons, but I'm sticking around. Shiokaze is my personal favorite- I had no problems there.

...still wanna go to Comic Con SO bad, though...

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I didn't like A-kon:

1) Only a few of the skits were funny. But at least they were rehearsed.
2) It wasn't as fun; the lines were long, and I wasn't with my friends. D:
3) AnimeFEST was better. XP

josshouse
09-09-2006, 03:16 PM
O-Chibi still wins XD

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Does O Chibi have a website? XD I wanna see what it's like! I like it already cause of the name. XP

Cat-Chans
09-09-2006, 03:34 PM
DON'T TREAD ON ME
D:

or something...

Well, even if all the good locals compete on the east and west coast I'm sticking around Texas. I had sworn off A-kon for AX until this past weekend when I met so many cool people. Now I've decided to give it another go...though I'm still planing on making the trip out to Cali...its more of a one time vacation thing then an anual trip for me.

With all the cons and Texas' sheer size, we should really be the 3rd cosplay capitol of the country. Thats why I get so pissed off at A-kon. It has such potential but it dose NOTHING with it.

Danzikumaru
09-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I've noticed the impending suckiness of the Texas cons, but I'm sticking around. Shiokaze is my personal favorite- I had no problems there.

Well, then I regret to inform you that Shiokazecon is no more.

Also, I've been to O-chibicon, and it's cosplay contest was just as shoddily run/judged as Afest's, if not worse.

Phantom Pirate
09-09-2006, 04:14 PM
O_O

Why?! Well, that blows.

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 04:17 PM
No more Shiokaze-con? Wasn't that the one in South Padre? NO! NO NO! D:

*Mourns*

O Chibi's cosplay sucked too? Hm. I guess it depends on the entries. XP

josshouse
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
oh no no. I meant that O-Chibi wins for best con in Texas ^_^ in my humble opinion

peony
09-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Man, I really wish now I lived in California :(

Too bad when I move there I'm gonna have so many cons to go to XD

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 06:23 PM
oh no no. I meant that O-Chibi wins for best con in Texas ^_^ in my humble opinionDoes it have a website? :angel:

Danzikumaru
09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
oh no no. I meant that O-Chibi wins for best con in Texas ^_^ in my humble opinion

While I respect your opinion and everything, that con was boring, poorly run, had over-worked and confused volunteers, and the cosplay contest judging was ambiguous at best. O-chibicon is being used as a prime example by some upstart cons as how to NOT run a small convention.

No more Shiokaze-con? Wasn't that the one in South Padre? NO! NO NO! D:

*Mourns*

O Chibi's cosplay sucked too? Hm. I guess it depends on the entries. XP

Well, the entries were great, and many of those who won awards deserved them, but it was obvious that for the most part, decisions regarding the Skit winners weren't based on audience reaction or stage presence, but rather on what the (in my opinion) poorly qualified judges could recognize. That being said, the group that won best skit deserved it. I just can't say the same about the other winners.

And no, Shiokazecon was not in South Padre. That is Shimakon.

Mune-Pop
09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Whoops. I knew that. Ha..Just testing. XP

Ah. Like the AnimeFEST skits? I think the Kool-Aid one deserved to win; no offense.

ayn*chan
09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Er...yeah. o_O The group that won best skit at O-chibicon 2005 was 1hp. And that was the time that the BBQ spam got opened on stage.

Danzikumaru
09-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Er...yeah. o_O The group that won best skit at O-chibicon 2005 was 1hp. And that was the time that the BBQ spam got opened on stage.

I remember that skit very well, it was great. But you know the other skit that won an award....the "mugen" cosplayer and the "shinigami" and their "fight"....I can't believe it won anything at all...

RanChan03
09-10-2006, 02:09 AM

I've been to alot of out of state cons, acen is by far the best one i have been too, they don't jack around like some of the others i've been too, and it's funny, during intermission this year, for about 30 mins the WHOLE stage and all the cosplayers in the back, we rushed up and started leading everyone in techno dancing.

I would really recommend going.

ayn*chan
09-10-2006, 03:08 PM
I remember that skit very well, it was great. But you know the other skit that won an award....the "mugen" cosplayer and the "shinigami" and their "fight"....I can't believe it won anything at all...

Weeeell........ =/ I mean...I dunno. O-chibicon didn't strike me as hosting a "competitive" cosplay contest and perhaps that would cause entrants to not put much effort into their acts? I dunno, sadly it wasn't like there were many acts to choose from to begin with. :<

CaptainCid
09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Is this ever going to get back on topic?

ayn*chan
09-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Nevar!!!

Mune-Pop
09-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Ha ha ha! >D

Er--Did anyone see that girl who ran around the line yelling to get everyone excited? XD

TransurrealisTristan
09-10-2006, 10:01 PM

I'll be entering A-Kon 18's cosplay contest also. Either as a walk-on Aizen, or a skit with a few of my Bleach buddies.

Nice!I'll be doing a skit as well,so hope to see you there!Camcord me,'kay?*wink*

Chibi Ice Wolf
09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm still very sad that the only genre that got its own award was comedy. Seems that cosplay construction itself, drama, and clever cosplay skits will always take a backseat to what is considered "funny".

It was also a shock to learn that the incredibly awesome and dramatic Trigun reinactment of Wolfwood's death was not given an award because it "made the judges cry," which I would assume is an excellent reason to give a skit an award because it made you feel emotional.
I agree!! There are some really great skits done that aren't funny at all - the Trigun skit was a great example. I know I was moved! ;.; Also the Malice Mizer group was another nice one!

Whooa there I didn't notice the crotch rip. =o Scandalous. But the skit was really funny, and these things happen. ^.^;

As for awards, I think it should be 1st 2nd and 3rd for skit and then a separate 1st 2nd 3rd for costume ... and then special judges awards and random awards. Dividing up the skits into categories would be bad if say there was only one or two drama/action skits. o.O I've been to contests where pretty much only skits got recognized and it sucks for walkons.

And Nana and Full Moon actually do sing in their shows, so I don't see ANYTHING wrong with that!! Also Mononoke was singing her ending theme song, so I think that's fair game too. <3 I myself do dancing skits. =D And I love karaoke so I'll always defend these people ^.^; And remember this con had NO KARAOKE at all.

Neeymuffin - dont' put yourself down so much. :) You guys were funny for coming up with that in such a short time. I know I laughed!

TailFluffGirl - I've never watched Uresei Yatsura but I loved your skit!! =D

Oh yes and I loooove the Vincent who won. X3 Anyone get a pic of her? =o

I agree only experienced cosplayers should be judges (no offense to people who were chosen), and especially if they are stuck back there for HOURS costumes should be judged for craftsmanship up close and asked how they made it. Always, always always or they aren't eligible for a costume award. (imagine someone getting award for something they didn't make!? the judges don't know!)

Proz
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Whooa there I didn't notice the crotch rip. =o Scandalous. But the skit was really funny, and these things happen. ^.^;

'CrotchGATE' is what I've called it.

Abarero
09-11-2006, 06:27 PM
TailFluffGirl - I've never watched Uresei Yatsura but I loved your skit!! =D

I agree only experienced cosplayers should be judges (no offense to people who were chosen), and especially if they are stuck back there for HOURS costumes should be judged for craftsmanship up close and asked how they made it. Always, always always or they aren't eligible for a costume award. (imagine someone getting award for something they didn't make!? the judges don't know!)

Thanks! Our group tries to do something "broad" enough given that we sometimes cosplay shows people don't know. While with Urusei Yatsura- a lot of people might recognize the lead female Lum, they don't know much about the show itself. And I'm glad to see that people who weren't familiar with it loved it. I know we were so happy afterwards at the crowd reaction we did get. That so made it worth it for me ^^

And I can't agree more about costume judging. While I don't expect people to make every single part of their costume (like I wouldn't hold it against an Edward Elric for buying their black shirt from the store instead of making it) if you're judging cosplayers on their costumes- someone who just made one element over someone who made their entire costume should be valued differently. That's why the cosplay judges need to talk to the cosplayers and find out how they did it. I know just in costumes I've made- some of the more fancy/complex in appearance were actually a lot easier to make than some of the plain-looking ones.

Mune-Pop
09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Hm~~Maybe the judges should talk to the others~~

But that wouldn't help me; I can't sew! XD

Lady Saea
09-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Well theres a difference between you making it possibly in conjunction with friends and commissioning a piece or buying it from a stranger. ^_^ I think thats what they're getting at.

potatoplanet
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Okay, so our cosplay was kinda insanely...bad. And yet, we still won.

Rikku and Aeris: WOOOAAHHHHHH -dies-

I'm really sorry that the other great ones didn't win. I especially thought that the 1 Hour Productions and the Trigun skit should have won.

Oh and...

RANDOM JUDGES = DEATH

xD

Mune-Pop
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
@ Potato Planet

It's nice to see you're so modest! I'm glad you're acting that way. Some people would be like:

"STFU, d00d! We we wun and dats wut counts!!!11!!111 Duuhh!!!111"

So, YOU ROCK! And your cosplay was cool! X3

@ Jonobi

I have no idea what a commission is; or about the friends thing, but it sounds good! X3

rabidfanboy
09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
if you're judging cosplayers on their costumes- someone who just made one element over someone who made their entire costume should be valued differently. That's why the cosplay judges need to talk to the cosplayers and find out how they did it.

I totally agree with you on this. I was a little disappointed there was basically no interaction with the judges. I mean, everything on my costume was completely done and made by me. I would've loved a chance to chat with the judges and discuss how my costume was made and the work that went into it. But, I guess that's what you get when you pick random judges that really have nothing to do with cosplay.

This was only my second stage competition so I don't have a lot to go by, but I had heard such good things about AnimeFest and it's contest only to be highly let down. Since I was a walk-on I got to leave for that short period, but dear god, I had no idea the skits and groups were there the whole time. I was also very close to just up and leaving because the judging was taking way too long. There was no excuse for that.

Sadly I don't think I'll be going back to AnimeFest. I think next September I might try AWA or Dragon*Con instead.

RaDragon76
09-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm glad my cosplay partner and I didn't bother to bring our contest costumes to AFEST. We would have been majorly disappointed as well since we spent a great deal of time on the costumes making them accurate and I hand-sewed my entire costume. I've already had one experience this year with cosplay judges that didn't interact with contestants so I wouldn't have wanted to go through that again.

TransurrealisTristan
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I totally agree with you on this. I was a little disappointed there was basically no interaction with the judges. I mean, everything on my costume was completely done and made by me. I would've loved a chance to chat with the judges and discuss how my costume was made and the work that went into it. But, I guess that's what you get when you pick random judges that really have nothing to do with cosplay.

This was only my second stage competition so I don't have a lot to go by, but I had heard such good things about AnimeFest and it's contest only to be highly let down. Since I was a walk-on I got to leave for that short period, but dear god, I had no idea the skits and groups were there the whole time. I was also very close to just up and leaving because the judging was taking way too long. There was no excuse for that.

Sadly I don't think I'll be going back to AnimeFest. I think next September I might try AWA or Dragon*Con instead.

Preach it to the crowd!I'm with you all the way for not heading back to AFEST.If I were a judge,you'd have been in the running for best cosplay.Seriously,your cosplay was good!Cervantes in St. Patrick's Day armor.^^

As for me,the judging seems unfair.A-Kon has best comedy,best drama,etc.

I guess I'm only headed for one con in my future,unless I make tracks to Otakon or some other con.

Mune-Pop
09-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Whoa~~I must be the slowest person EVER.

It took all this time to realize YOU were the PTD cosplayer who sang to that song. XP

TransurrealisTristan
09-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Whoa~~I must be the slowest person EVER.

It took all this time to realize YOU were the PTD cosplayer who sang to that song. XP

LMAO.It sometimes takes Yuki(WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO BE MY DAISUKE) longer to realize something.I planned something with him at A-Kon 17 and he nearly missed it.Wrote it on an Arby's napkin he still keeps in his room.

Thanks for recognizing me,Mune.Lots of people were a bit cheesed off by this act at the con,but I'll be back again for an encore.Maybe I'll actually win something.

Mune-Pop
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Maybe you should add wings; that would be really cool!

TransurrealisTristan
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Maybe you should add wings; that would be really cool!

I'm not that good yet,so no wings.They were improvised by using the inner lining of a coat.

Mune-Pop
09-13-2006, 10:45 PM

What? XD Then maybe a Wiz plushie?

TransurrealisTristan
09-14-2006, 09:38 PM

What? XD Then maybe a Wiz plushie?

That was Yuki's responsibility for the cosplay contest,but of all things,he couldn't get it all together in time.So,since the cosplay contest at A-Kon 18 will be on Saturday night and he doesn't leave till Sunday afternoon,he's the one who'll have to remember to get it right.

Thanks for being with me 100%.Wanna sign on or meet me at the con?

StarShiranui
09-16-2006, 02:10 AM
As to singing, dancing and flag routines. Those are NOT skits, not unless singing, dancing and flag routines are important to the storyline of the anime. I don't think they should allow them to be honest.

I AGREE. And her stuff was NOTHING NEW, the flag girl anyway. The flag corp at my school could pull it off, the only points I gave her was making her own routine. Other than that I found no point in it.

Also, I'm sorry about the Sango hitting you in the forehead with my pistol. I REALLY did not expect her to do that. ._.

And... I was so disappointed I had to leave early and miss my second one, but it was late and we had to get home since you know, from Dallas to outskirts of McKinney. Annoyingly long drive.

I'd also like to say, I was hideously worried about my own costume. Since I had to improvise a long jacket instead of a suit jacket for my Elena costume (since my suit jacket went missing a week before the con).

Though to all of you, much love and hoping to see you all next year? =D

Mune-Pop
09-16-2006, 01:20 PM
That was Yuki's responsibility for the cosplay contest,but of all things,he couldn't get it all together in time.So,since the cosplay contest at A-Kon 18 will be on Saturday night and he doesn't leave till Sunday afternoon,he's the one who'll have to remember to get it right.

Thanks for being with me 100%.Wanna sign on or meet me at the con?Sure! I have a Yahoo address, if you want to chat by the way! XD

TransurrealisTristan
09-16-2006, 09:36 PM
I added you to AIM,okay with that?BTW,Yuki,Kreana and myself are back in the game today!

Also....OMFG....Yuki sat near FLOW!:eek:

Mune-Pop
09-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Who's Yuki..? XD

Phantom Pirate
09-17-2006, 02:09 PM
About the flag girl- what song was that she was dancing to? Someone told me it was Ghost in the Shell related- but typing in GITS on Limewire brings up about 500+ results.

StarShiranui
09-17-2006, 02:12 PM
About the flag girl- what song was that she was dancing to? Someone told me it was Ghost in the Shell related- but typing in GITS on Limewire brings up about 500+ results.

All I can tell you is it was the opening from GITS. I forget the name of it.

MexicAnime
09-17-2006, 02:35 PM
It's "Inner Universe" by Origa, the 1st opening theme for GITS:SAC. Hope that Helps.

TransurrealisTristan
09-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Who's Yuki..? XD

He was this guy from my city who went to the con with some buddies of his.I think he went as Hiro Sohma,like he did at A-Kon....but may have worn something else for the contest.....I dunno....

*whacks him for what he did at the con*I'll get ye yet!

Cat-Chans
09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Aww, now while the flag routine had no real difficult components I know from experiance that it is hard to write and preform a solo. It wasn't fantastic, but at least she tried...
now she should have saved it for solo and ensamble competitions and not done it in a cosplay show but whatever.

I wanted to see a pitch toss damn it
or at least a horazontal.
P:

Mune-Pop
09-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh~Okay.

My friend is really into colorguard. I'm not, but I think she did a good job.

TransurrealisTristan
09-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I think she wasn't too bad at all.Plus,cosplay contests are to showcase different talents and skits while in costume.Think of it as a huge talent show,only with swordsmen and monks.(No offense,Miroku)

Everyone was quite good,except for the yaoi/yuri kissing.There was this jerk with glasses who kept yelling behind where I was sitting,"KISS THEM ALREADY!".Ugh...I want to pelt him with a flaming sharpie.

RanChan03
09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I think she wasn't too bad at all.Plus,cosplay contests are to showcase different talents and skits while in costume.Think of it as a huge talent show,only with swordsmen and monks.(No offense,Miroku)

Everyone was quite good,except for the yaoi/yuri kissing.There was this jerk with glasses who kept yelling behind where I was sitting,"KISS THEM ALREADY!".Ugh...I want to pelt him with a flaming sharpie.

None taken ^-^

Mune-Pop
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I hated that; when Hawkeye kissed Winry. X_x

CaptainCid
09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
As for Yaoi/Yuri stuff in the contest: People have their preferences. Personally, I just think it's hilarious.

I am going to have to say, a cosplay contest is for cosplay, it's not a talent show. I know many people have talents they would like to share, but stuff like that really doesn't belong in a cosplay contest. There ARE limits to what one can do in this type of contest to be respected for it. For example, a few people have responded negatively to the Yaoi/Yuri stuff. Although they did stay within the boundaries to be considered a cosplay skit, the content of their skit was not respected by everyone (and nothing will ever be respected by EVERY person). Not to rain on the parade, but it's just my opinion.

TransurrealisTristan
09-19-2006, 09:08 PM
None taken ^-^

Awww.....:) Thank you.Want to jump on?I have a hunch that Daisuke and Riku could be bailing out for next year.Dark+Miroku as J-Rockers...Hmmm...maybe you'll need to redesign that cosplay of yours....LMAO.

Plus,I wholeheartedly agree with you,Mune.*vomits*

Danzikumaru
09-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Awww.....:) Thank you.Want to jump on?I have a hunch that Daisuke and Riku could be bailing out for next year.Dark+Miroku as J-Rockers...Hmmm...maybe you'll need to redesign that cosplay of yours....LMAO.

An anime convention is the last place to be if you don't want to see same-gender pairings/kissing. Get over it or get out.

RanChan03
09-19-2006, 09:56 PM

i am doing a variation of the costume, mecha-miroku for mtac prime (Middle Tennessee Anime Convention) Prime being for the transformer's movie, so it's a mecha theme ^-^

Koda89
09-19-2006, 10:01 PM
An anime convention is the last place to be if you don't want to see same-gender pairings/kissing. Get over it or get out.

We KNOW there will always be Yaoi/Yuri pairings/kissing at anime cons....it is just...we are sick and tired of it.......it is to the point were EVERY con is 100% sure to have atleast 1 Yaoi/Yuri skit.

Amaya De'Morte
09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
there's always going to be something going on you're tired of or do not like. It is the beauty of human indivudality. Sometimes, you have to just ignore the things you do not like. But.. in reality, you can't expect everything that a few are 'tired of seeing' to get thrown out.

Some are tired of seeing lip synching. Others of yaoi. Others of scantily clad women getting attetion just because their skirt shows their undergarments. Others of fanservice. I really think this is beginning to get a bit childish, and is becoming less and less about the issue and more and more about drama. Stating your opinion once is fine. But flooding a forum with complaining, whinning, and general bad attitude is not ok. In the end, everyone has an opinion and a taste. But what gives you the right to impose this taste onto someone else? (as long as what you're against doesn't impose a danger)

In retrospect, would you like it if you were thrown out? Some of the skits with the yaoi/yuri had alot of thuoght and planning put in. In fact- there were as I remember it.. only three skits with any sort of kissing. that's hardly most of them.

But, all in all, I'm tired of coming to the afest boards to see these trite attempts at arguing.

Koda89
09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
there's always going to be something going on you're tired of or do not like. It is the beauty of human indivudality. Sometimes, you have to just ignore the things you do not like. But.. in reality, you can't expect everything that a few are 'tired of seeing' to get thrown out.

Some are tired of seeing lip synching. Others of yaoi. Others of scantily clad women getting attetion just because their skirt shows their undergarments. Others of fanservice. I really think this is beginning to get a bit childish, and is becoming less and less about the issue and more and more about drama. Stating your opinion once is fine. But flooding a forum with complaining, whinning, and general bad attitude is not ok. In the end, everyone has an opinion and a taste. But what gives you the right to impose this taste onto someone else? (as long as what you're against doesn't impose a danger)

In retrospect, would you like it if you were thrown out? Some of the skits with the yaoi/yuri had alot of thuoght and planning put in. In fact- there were as I remember it.. only three skits with any sort of kissing. that's hardly most of them.

But, all in all, I'm tired of coming to the afest boards to see these trite attempts at arguing.

True, infact, I don't really HATE yaoi/yuri, infact, I turn it into a game and try and guess who/when during a skit will do the kiss.

Cat-Chans
09-19-2006, 10:31 PM

No, cosplay contests are about COSTUMES
If the cosplayer's costume isn't up to par then the rest shouldn't matter. Cosplay is first and formost about representing a character.

CaptainCid
09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
If the cosplayer's costume isn't up to par then the rest shouldn't matter. Cosplay is first and formost about representing a character.

Well said!

StarShiranui
09-19-2006, 10:48 PM

I second this. Very nicely said!

Danzikumaru
09-19-2006, 11:02 PM

I'm so proud to have you on my staff!

rabidfanboy
09-19-2006, 11:16 PM

*Jumps on the bandwagon*

Lady Saea
09-19-2006, 11:34 PM

Here here! ^_^

Mune-Pop
09-20-2006, 07:28 AM
If the cosplayer's costume isn't up to par then the rest shouldn't matter. Cosplay is first and formost about representing a character.Well said. I'm such a hypocrite..X_x

PockyFairy
09-20-2006, 10:21 AM

I agree hold heartedly. *nods* You hit the nail on the head.

strange_mikoto
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
yay for Cat Chan degeating the con drama! ::gives cookie:: w00t.

Jet_Texas
09-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I believe Cat-Chan has final word on the subject

All I can say is well done.

TransurrealisTristan
09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
i am doing a variation of the costume, mecha-miroku for mtac prime (Middle Tennessee Anime Convention) Prime being for the transformer's movie, so it's a mecha theme ^-^

LMAO!Is that golden stick of yours going to be transformed into some sort of a gun?Send me some pics when you get the chance,'kay?*wink*

Sorry to everyone who is yelling at me...*begging to be accepted in the cosplay community*

Anywho...switching gears....are there any AFEST veterans that strutted the stage this year?Maybe we can congragulate(sp?) them in 5 year increments.Who knows?GAH.Maybe you'll think I'm a stupid n00b that should be shot for so many ideas and stupid things to say.

BTW,I enjoy a little bit on the y/y stuffs...just in moderation.;)

Mune-Pop
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Anywho...switching gears....are there any AFEST veterans that strutted the stage this year?Maybe we can congragulate(sp?) them in 5 year increments.Who knows?GAH.Maybe you'll think I'm a stupid n00b that should be shot for so many ideas and stupid things to say.

What do you mean, exactly? Do you mean people who've been to A-FEST in walk-ons/skits and to congratulate them? That'd be cool! :crest:

tahiti
09-21-2006, 02:29 AM
Hmm, it seems I missed a whole bunch when I decided to stay home on Sunday. (Donald was very tired, and had to head back to school the next day!)
I'd just like to say, congrats to all the winners. And from what I saw on YouTube, the 1 Hour Productions skit was most excellent. Very funny.
I also said, good for you, on those that had the guts to get up on stage and do what you do. I have yet to participate in any contests, because I have a little bit of stage fright, so I respect all that got up there and did their thing. I heard from my sister (Goofy- who was apparently getting the crowd hyped up beforehand) there were a lot of good acts this year, so let's keep it up for next year.
*shuffles off*

Koda89
09-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Hmm, it seems I missed a whole bunch when I decided to stay home on Sunday. (Donald was very tired, and had to head back to school the next day!)
I'd just like to say, congrats to all the winners. And from what I saw on YouTube, the 1 Hour Productions skit was most excellent. Very funny.
I also said, good for you, on those that had the guts to get up on stage and do what you do. I have yet to participate in any contests, because I have a little bit of stage fright, so I respect all that got up there and did their thing. I heard from my sister (Goofy- who was apparently getting the crowd hyped up beforehand) there were a lot of good acts this year, so let's keep it up for next year.
*shuffles off*
Ya...Goofy, Sora, and maybe Blaxel(the black Axel cosplayer) got infront of everyone and danced....>_>

CaptainCid
09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Ya...Goofy, Sora, and maybe Blaxel(the black Axel cosplayer) got infront of everyone and danced....>_>

All of the good stuff was on Monday. KH2 vs. Advent Children, Stripping Tseng, Numa Numa line, ect.

TransurrealisTristan
09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
*shuffles off*

I wanted to come in on Monday,but staying up late on Sunday is not a good idea for Dark....

Also,my friend shares the same idea as you,tahiti.He has yet to enter a cosplay contest,yet he has stage fright.

Plus,thanks for what you said.This is what cosplay is about.Encouraging one another.GAH.I sound like a religious person....

Cat-Chans
09-22-2006, 02:21 AM

Danzikumaru
09-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Plus,thanks for what you said.This is what cosplay is about.Encouraging one another.GAH.I sound like a religious person....

Yes, because you do that through calling for an all out ban on yaoi/yuri skits...or is this admitting you've learned from this experience?

Koda89
09-22-2006, 08:45 AM
*walks by and reads the last few pages of thread*

*walks away*

Neutral here.........