PDA

View Full Version : One way to tell anime's not so popular at D*C

vamphunterx
09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
I just stumbled across this on the Dragon*Con website. Now I'm certain anyone who was able to watch the Masquerade saw how the Naruto group won for "Best Original" LOL. I thought that was hilarious, that shows you how little the people at Dragon*Con know about anime. I'm not saying anime is hated at D*C, but the majority of the people there just really don't know much about it or are not interested in it. As if the Best Original thing wasn't weird enough, now they've gone and done this, http://www.dragoncon.net/dailydragon/2006/29.htm . Go down to the bottom of the page and see the listing for Best Original. Its not a huge deal, but to an anime fan it sticks out like a flashing red light.

reannaremick
09-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, since they use celebrity judges for the Masquerade, that's really not true. The convention doesn't decide who wins what category, the judges do, and they may have NO idea what Naruto is, if I wasn't a cosplayer I wouldn't because I don't watch new anime, but I see so many cosplayers do it that I just found out what the show was that way. Just my $.02

Arlette
09-06-2006, 10:17 AM
In a way, that's true. There are SO many other genres out there that I enjoy besides anime, I tend to think of D*C as a way to get away from anime for a while and explore the other stuff. So I think there are probably more people attending the con who think along those same lines. Many people on this site attended this year, but they also attend a number of anime cons during the year, as well. Which means I personally never cosplay as ANYTHING anime for D*C because that's what all the other cons are for, and I don't really drive all the way to Atlanta to attend a four day con where I have to see Yuna #48749874984, you know? But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. XD If anime is a person's MAIN fandom, then more power to them to do whatever they want. But I just know that I, like many people, didn't get started on anime, but on sci-fi and comics. I know I passed a video room at one point where they were showing fansubbed Naruto, so don't think anime is totally dissed at D*C or anything...it's just not what most people go for. ^_^

As a side note, I did cosplay as Ayane from DOA this year which was pushing it for my "no anime cosplay" rule...but since it's a videogame and since it was requested by several friends, I let it slide. ^_~

Darth Takeo
09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
The Team commented on how we saw more Anime related costumes this year than last year... Perhaps it's not the majority, but it's gaining steam...

Space Invader
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Eh, I'm not sure they meant it as original in way of "original design". They had a fursuited Kyuubi, and I can't sey I've seen anyone else make one. I think they probably awarded them the original award because cosplaying the Kyuubi is definately an original idea, at least to me.

Eurobeat King
09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Again, so that we don't confuse people with multiple threads regarding anime at DragonCon, let's use the one that's already made:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=91717

Use this thread to discuss what anime costume you wore, and your thoughts about anime at DragonCon. Thanks.