PDA

View Full Version : Tsubasa help

Kawaii_Omi
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi~

I need some help on Fye's heavy winter cloak. I don't know whats the best way to do it or base it off ? Plus I'd like to know what would be the best fabric to make it out of? Something not to expensive.

If you can help me out that'd be great! I know alot of people have done this before and I'm kinda of a minor sewer. So help can do alot for me.

Thanks in advance! :angel:

Laurelin
09-09-2006, 04:27 AM
I bought a cheap, shapeless coat pattern to base the shoulders and sleeves from, then fitted the back, then extended each piece from the waist to the floor increasing the angle to give the ridiculous fullness at the hem. You could buy a more fitted pattern to start you off; I didn't because my boyfriend has an awkwardly tiny waist, so I always have to do a huge amount of adjustment anyway.

Remember that Fai's coat is very closely fitted to his torso, and then flares out. Also his sleeves are very long and flared.

I would suggest doing a mock out of some cheap fabric to make sure you have everything fitted and hanging right, before you get to using your final fabric and applying the design.

Random Karen
09-09-2006, 04:40 AM
I think I used a Harry Potter/LOTR style robe pattern (basically a cloak with sleeves and hood) that goes to the floor and just modified it a bit. If you want it to look warm, and actually be warm, I'd try fleece, which is what I used. It's a bit stretchy though, and when you add the fur trim it can get heavy. Fleece should be really cheap right now as it's (still?) the off season for it.

*looks at Laurelin's post* Oy, I still need to tailor the torso! Crud. *smacks head* The shoulders are a bit hard to figure out too. I think I need to adjust them some.