PDA

View Full Version : The Soul Still Burns

Ohmi
03-16-2003, 08:01 PM
New images of Soul Calibur 2 are up... Seung Mina and Sophitia are BACK!

There are decent references for those who may want to cosplay these two from SC2..

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20030314/sc2.htm

Cheers! :D

Nightmare
03-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Thats cool and all, but I'm trying to do Nightmare from Soul Calibur 2. The Siegfried version. It's going to be hard as anything, but I'll try to post updates on my costume.

Adella
03-17-2003, 04:53 PM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20030314/sc2250.htm

Why look! It's Kasumi from DOA cosplaying Sophitia!

DeathCom
03-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Many have mentioned the DOA-ifiction the Soul characters have gone through in this installment. However, Id say that Sophitia at least looks a good bit older than Kasumi. (but, Kasumi remains ageless) I think Sophitia as seen is about 25 or 26 now.

-DeathCom

Psychotic Jei
03-18-2003, 01:14 AM
I dont think there is a character in SC2 that doesnt show alot of skin. Well..Raphael.....but I think thats it...o_o;

Umi
03-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Oooh yay Seung Mina! Bleh, I don't like the way she looks in the new game though. Yeah her old outfits were a lot more... >.> ladylike.

Michi
03-18-2003, 12:34 PM
SEUNG MINA YAY!! *dances* I can't wait to get the game for home now. :D!!!

Jei, er, Sophitia is rather covered.. especially compared to Ivy or Mina.

Oooh, Soihitia vs Cassandra.... interesting.. Andandand. *happily plots out Seung Mina vs Link*

Iori E
03-18-2003, 09:20 PM
That first pic of Seung Mina (in the character select screen) kinda scares me. It looks like Yun Sung's face with long hair. XD

And alternate-costume Ivy is conservatively dressed. Then again, alt. cost. Ivy always has been...

Nightmare
03-18-2003, 11:18 PM
You guys forget that Nightmare is one of the main characters if not THE main character. He's one of the best characters in the game. He's also the coolest looking. Or at least that's my opinion.

Michi
03-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Nightmare... Um.. yes, okay. That has nothing to do with the topic. ^^; Ohmi was just showing shots to show that these two missing from the arcade are confirmed to be in the home ports. :P No one said anything to diss Nightmare. He's just not the subject right now. *patpatcookie*

Jinx
03-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Yes! Talim and Xiangha cosplay, here I come! XP

In like, several years when I have time and money.. XP

Michi
03-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Jinx
Yes! Talim and Xiangha cosplay, here I come! XP

In like, several years when I have time and money.. XP

Haha, you sound just like me and my Soul Calibur ideas. XD :rofl:

katnap007
03-19-2003, 12:57 AM
I can't wait for this to come out--I wonder if the story will be as great as the last one... ^_^
In those shots their faces look a little strange to me. Less makeup maybe? I guess the pics are kinda small tho.

Jinx
03-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Michi
Haha, you sound just like me and my Soul Calibur ideas. XD :rofl:

LOL. 'Cept, I'm like that with.. all costumes... ;_;

Michi
03-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Jinx
LOL. 'Cept, I'm like that with.. all costumes... ;_;

Me too. ^^; *pulls out list of 4853479564876 ideas*

Eriol
03-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by katnap007
I can't wait for this to come out--I wonder if the story will be as great as the last one... ^_^
In those shots their faces look a little strange to me. Less makeup maybe? I guess the pics are kinda small tho.

The faces are a little drained out in color in the second installment. Some of the women's faces seem to have the "too much makeup" syndrome caused by the paler skin colors.

Soul Calibur I had good skin colors.

I sincerely hope they offer the option of English and Japanese voices. The U.S. arcade unit only offered English voices. All voices were done by U.S. anime actors, and not all of them sounded all that great.

Michi
03-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Eh?! What?! English voices? *DIES* I loved the Japanese cast from Soul Calibur! Hisakawa Aya, Touma Yumi!! There better be an option. ;____;

<-- obviously never played Soul Calibur II in the arcade..

Eriol
03-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Eh?! What?! English voices? *DIES* I loved the Japanese cast from Soul Calibur! Hisakawa Aya, Touma Yumi!! There better be an option. ;____;

<-- obviously never played Soul Calibur II in the arcade..

Miss, you don't want to if it means hearing some of those voices.

Some of the voices are overdone, so they end up campy.

But can you imagine what the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur II with Link in it? What would Namco do to THAT voice? (Don't forget Namco published Xenosaga, with the same inconsistent acting)

Michi
03-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Ehhhh. *shudders* I hope they take the first game's lead and have Japanese voices.. I'm getting the GCN version, and I won't be able to stand for anyone but Hiyama Nobuyuki doing the voice of Link. O_O Or the Japanese voices of Ivy, etc... feh.

Nightmare
03-20-2003, 07:09 PM
It's been so long that I can't remember the voices from SCI. And all that we have in are arcade is the second one. So all that I know of are the English voices of the characters. And I pretty much live at the arcade and some of the voices don't sound that bad.

Eriol
03-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Nightmare
It's been so long that I can't remember the voices from SCI. And all that we have in are arcade is the second one. So all that I know of are the English voices of the characters. And I pretty much live at the arcade and some of the voices don't sound that bad.

Some sound good, others sound bad because I feel the actor/actress overacted. Overacting ends up sounding campy (like a Resident Evil game).

Now, if you enjoy campy voices, fine. I don't, so I would prefer a voice selection mode. The PS2 uses DVD games, so Namco has more than enough space to include both languages.

DeathCom
03-21-2003, 06:36 PM
The English voices are HORRIBLE! Warning: Do not play SCII in the arcade without protective earwear! (as in a walkman or something)

Failure to do so may result in you hearing Ivy say "Strangle!" when you select her, Nightmare say "Got you!" every single time he successfully repels an attack, Astaroth say "Disgusting" after about... well every move he does! Xianghua will annoy you to no end as she spouts off "Eat this!" "Here's another!" "Sorry!", or Talim before a round "Believe in yourself Talim"... Watch the bad translations unfold as you hear the prefight sequence between Mitsurugi and Taki "Ive had enough of you!" - Mitsurugi "Haven't you had enough?" - Taki.

Thats only a sample. There is MUCH more in the actual game.

Anyway, if all goes well, the US version will have optional Japanese with subtitles. Namco knows they did bad on this one.

As for Link, well dont worry to much about him. I dont think he has any actual spoken lines in the game. His Japanese actor, Hiyama Nobuyuki, is also the voice of Nightmare in SCII, so you probably dont have to worry. If by chance, he does have spoken lines, he probably will get dubbed (will know in a few days). Another fun fact, Taki's actress did work for Nintendo as child Link in the previous zelda games and the upcoming wind waker.

-DeathCom

Michi
03-21-2003, 06:41 PM
o______o *cries* The pain.. oh the pain..

*plays Soul Calibur on DC to make self feel better*

Yes. I'm hoping for Japanese with subtitles. ._.;;

DeathCom
03-21-2003, 06:58 PM
The pain indeed... I still cant get Xianghua's voice out of my head... annoying just isnt a strong enough word.

Sadly, the only actual reason we have as to why we may not have a language selection option in the US version is... gamecube. Due to its lower disc capacity, there may not be room for both sets of voices. And, because all versions are to be equal, the rest dont get it either. At least, thats what Namco pointed out as being a reason.

-DeathCom

Eriol
03-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by DeathCom
The pain indeed... I still cant get Xianghua's voice out of my head... annoying just isnt a strong enough word.

Sadly, the only actual reason we have as to why we may not have a language selection option in the US version is... gamecube. Due to its lower disc capacity, there may not be room for both sets of voices. And, because all versions are to be equal, the rest dont get it either. At least, thats what Namco pointed out as being a reason.

-DeathCom

I think Namco is being bull-headed. They win no matter what. They earn revenue from THREE systems. They already have each system having a unique character, so why not include language selection WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

I don't care if the Gamecube version doesn't have room for both; put the Japanese in. Nintendo should just embrace the DVD format and deal with the consequences. Sony has been dealing with it for so long, and they aren't dying.

If they put dubbed voices only in all the versions, I'll just defer buying it, because I'm not paying full price for an imperfect game.

If they put a Japanese language option on the Xbox and PS2 version, those would certainly sell better.

Choice quote from Xianghua: "Just kidding!" I will have trouble taking this game seriously as a fighting game.

I'll just go back to Guilty Gear X2.
"Grand Viper!"

Michi
03-21-2003, 08:08 PM
I might not get Soul Calibur II for GameCube if there's only English. I will not stand for that. o_o; That's lame.

Keurblitz
03-21-2003, 10:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3014115000&category=27255

Eriol
03-22-2003, 12:06 PM
I find it strange that it takes 5 months to get the games out in the U.S. What is Namco doing in this time? They already recorded the dubbed voices, should they choose to use that.

Michi
03-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Err when is it coming out here?

I might opt to get the Japanese GCN version if it's too long and my patience runs out.. and there'd be guaranteed Japanese voices. :X

Eriol
03-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Err when is it coming out here?

I might opt to get the Japanese GCN version if it's too long and my patience runs out.. and there'd be guaranteed Japanese voices. :X

All the major game stores I visit have a tentative release date of August 27 (late August).

If they use the 5 months to put in the dubbed voices, I'll just give up on the game until it's a Greatest Hits or bargain bin.

Michi
03-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Why is it taking so long then? ~_~; Why does any game take that long?

If I have the money, I think I might just get the Japanese one..

DeathCom
03-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Why is it taking over five months to bring this game out here, when the dub is completely finished, and that previously Namco translated the pages of text in the DC version of SCOne in a single month?

Didnt you know? We americans ONLY buy games in the fall / christmas season of course!

Dont forget gamecube fans, you can get the free loader disc (swap in imports), or install a simple switch to play imports.

-DeathCom

Eriol
03-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Didnt you know? We americans ONLY buy games in the fall / christmas season of course!
-DeathCom

That would make sense. The Dreamcast debuted on 9/9/99, so Soul Calibur was ready for the holiday season.

Michi
03-22-2003, 10:27 PM
9/9/99? That's pretty nifty, actually. ^^;

Heh, I was playing Soul Calibur earlier today on DC.. and.. with the museum and the character profiles and voice samples.. It made me sad that they'd even think to dub it. ~_~; I'm soooo ready to import. After getting my Japanese PS2 and so forth first, then I'll put away money for SCII. :X

Eriol
03-22-2003, 10:44 PM
9/9/99? That's pretty nifty, actually. ^^;

That was the marketing plan. Too bad, Sega's long-term marketing plan was terrible.

Heh, I was playing Soul Calibur earlier today on DC.. and.. with the museum and the character profiles and voice samples.. It made me sad that they'd even think to dub it. ~_~; I'm soooo ready to import. After getting my Japanese PS2 and so forth first, then I'll put away money for SCII. :X

You'd get an import system just to play one game (or a handful of games)? You are better off modding a system than get a native system

Michi
03-22-2003, 10:57 PM
I want a Japanese PS2 for .. Japanese DVDs, and yes, really only a handful of games (so far). *shrug* About 10 off the top of my head..

Is modding safe? X_x;

Eriol
03-22-2003, 11:05 PM
I want a Japanese PS2 for .. Japanese DVDs, and yes, really only a handful of games (so far). *shrug* About 10 off the top of my head..

Is modding safe? X_x;

You can read Japanese DVDs and know what's going on? o.0

There are two types of mods: external ones (some kind of peripheral that attaches to the PS2, like a memory card-like thing) or a chip that is put inside the PS2. You can either have somebody install the chip for you or do it yourself. Doing it yourself can be done but you need a soldering wire (with solder), some wires, a steady hand, and the ability to read instructions.

If you let somebody else do it, then you have to pay for the labor.

There is one weakness of a mod chips. Sony can come out with new PS2 models or games that try to detect the mod chip and stop playing the game if it sees it.

I have a modded PS1 to play import Dance Dance Revolution games and I have no problems with it in 99% of the cases. In the 1% cases, I used a gameshark to override the games anti-mod control.

Anyway, we're diverging from the Soul Calibur topic...heh

Michi
03-22-2003, 11:09 PM
It's okay to get mildly off topic briefly as long as it doesn't go on for pages. :P

I have a rather new PS2 model.. I only got it back in late December. So I think I might just get a Japanese one and not worry about modding. o.o Why does Sony care so much? Nintendo lets you play Japanese games on Super Nintendos and GameBoys from America and stuff... blah on them.
Yes, I could know what's going on.. I have fairly good Japanese knowledge. ^_~
I had to use the swap trick for DDR on my PSX.. haha.. then it stopped working.. >_> Rrrr. Backwards compability is SUCH my new friend. Anyway.

And to get back into SC.. my love for seiyuu and the Japanese language is why I'm so upset about the voices.
So GameCubes can't directly play import games? You need something extra?

Ohmi
03-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Sony cares if you mod your system because not only can you play imported games.. but you can also play illegaly copied games which means they don't make the money off of them. And we all know that MONEY is the reason for most things :D

Uh.. you can't just stick in a SFC cart in a SNES and call it good.. you have to "modify" your system by removing some plastic tabs ^^;

No Gamecubes won't play an import right out of the box.. you either need the Freeloader boot disk or you need to get a region switch installed.. (I'd do it myself but those darn unconventional screws in the case are in my way!!! >:P)

Yes back to SC.. I'm getting the import not just 'cause I'm impatient or like the Seiyuu (which I do!) but because every time a Soul ____ series game comes out they always censor something stupid.. so I'd rather get the real deal and not bother with any pain in the future :D

Michi
03-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Well. I don't mind getting a Japanese one. I want FFX-2, Japanese DVDs, the Rhapsody sequel, some games I like in English in Japanese for my weird twisted mind that enjoys that.. o_O like Chrono Cross and FF8... yeaaaah. FFX for Japanese voices.. etc.. blah.

Plastic tabs, blah, fine. It's not like getting a mod chip. I don't know the specifics. I just know that my friend has a Japanese game for her SNES, and that I can play Japanese Pokemon Red on my American GameBoy. XD

Rrr.. freeloader boot disk.. region switch..? Which is easier? ^^; I don't care enough to get a Japanese GameCube, I just want SCII in Japanese. o_o; Thazzit.

Durr? Censorage where? What have they edited out of.. say.. Soul Calibur for DC? o.O

DeathCom
03-23-2003, 02:50 AM
Michi: You can get the freeloader disc, and Soul Claibur II for gamecube over at National Console Support (http://ncsx.com) It will run you about $80 or so for the game and the free loader.

The Free Loader is a disc that you put in your gamecube, power it up, then it will ask you to open the drive door, and insert your import game. It will then load the import. Very simple, safe, and warranty friendly.

And ONE Gamecube does play imports out of the box. The slick, silver, its called the GameQube or something. I think its by Panasonic, it plays Gamecube games and DVDs, it costs about $400.

If you got your PS2 in December, its probably a Version 6 or 7. There are a number of mod options available to you, ranging from the easy, to the painful. The no solder "ribbon cable" mod is very easy to do, will cost about $40 for the chip and a copy of Swap Magic (Swap Magic works like Free Loader, but requires your console have a mod). However! The no solder mod will not load a DVD9 based import (SCII probably wont be one, but if it is, it wouldnt work). For complete compatibility, and even DVD region free, you need the Magic 3.1. This chip is a pain to install. Having a whopping 44 points to solder make this one as messy as the original Dreamcast mod (and that was a serious PAIN let me tell you). This chip retails for about $40 (+ possible installation cost, which wont be cheap).

As it stands, there is nothing in Soul Calibur II that is on the cutting block for the censors. Namco pretty much tries to go for an "E" rating in Japan, which is like a Teen rating here. In the US release of Soul Calibur, Voldo got to be the first male in gaming history to get censored (unless you count Cloud and his dress...), there is a bull ornament on his crotch in the Japanese version, its removed in the US one. In Soul Edge/Blade, Sophitia was given a bathing suit for her scene in the intro, though all you saw was a tad of arse crack.

Finally, there is no official word as to what is happening to the US version of SCII other than its due in late August. We may indeed get a language select option.

-DeathCom

Eriol
03-23-2003, 04:52 PM
And ONE Gamecube does play imports out of the box. The slick, silver, its called the GameQube or something. I think its by Panasonic, it plays Gamecube games and DVDs, it costs about $400.

It's the Panasonic Q.
http://www.dvdgame.jp/product/

Panasonic U.S.A. has no plans to bring the product here.

Having a whopping 44 points to solder make this one as messy as the original Dreamcast mod (and that was a serious PAIN let me tell you). This chip retails for about $40 (+ possible installation cost, which wont be cheap).

I've heard about the Magic Chip, but 44 points to solder just to override the PS2's DVD settings?

If the chip itself is $40, I expect the installation to be at least double that.

Michi
03-23-2003, 07:33 PM
I'm going to wait to see if SCII has Japanese on the GCN version here... Before I try and mod my GameCube, etc.. ^^;

But I think.. o_o; modding sounds scary for the PS2, and it'd be easier just to get a Japanese one. ^_^;;;

DigitalCactus
03-23-2003, 07:53 PM
You all know I had to put in my two cents.. I still think Cervantes de Leůn's gold armour rocks! I unfortunatly wont be able to complete it for this years Otakon due to time constraints. Plus I'm anal about making sure it looks good. Anywho I will definatly be going as everyone's favourite immortal pirate NEXT year, for sure.

Michi
03-23-2003, 07:55 PM
...you mean the armor from the first Soul Calibur that has nothing to do with this thread...?

:D :p

(Okay it's not like the discussion regarding import games and mods is any better, but it's slightly more related. I think.)

Eriol
03-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Cervantes (2nd player style) from Soul Calibur reminds me of some super hero.

rpd_girl
03-26-2003, 11:31 AM
I am sooooo excited.

Haruka
03-27-2003, 05:32 PM
sigghhhh.....oh how i looove soul caliber *_* i so very very badly want to cosplay as Taki..i have loved her since sould edge........and besides, there is nothing cooler than a ninja..and atop all of that a ninja CHICK! yay!

Haruka
03-27-2003, 05:35 PM
....yikes,,is it me or does sophitia just look down right fugly? Her face was much prettier in the last game.

Michi
03-27-2003, 05:37 PM
All of the girls look awkward... especially Xianghua.. it bothers me. I hope they look better in gameplay. X_x; They were all so pretty in SC1 on Dreamcast. *has many SC1 cosplay ideas*

Haruka
03-27-2003, 05:47 PM
ya i know what you mean..its like they made the girl's faces too short with really thick necks....-_-;; ah well, i still love 'em.

DeathCom
03-28-2003, 01:47 AM
I think they tried to give some of them a more Asian look, making their faces more round. Ivy on the other hand, still looks similar. Overall, I think they did a good job of showing how one would actually look different in four years. Especially younger characters like Xianghua and Mina. But even with Ivy and Taki you can see the age difference.

Anyway, Haruka, thats outstanding you want to cosplay as Taki (she is so neglected by costumers, only having about three people in the US try). If you need anything in the way of media (screen shots, story, or video), my services are yours.

-DeathCom

Michi
03-28-2003, 02:03 AM
My friend wants me to be Taki. ^^; Because he loves her. o.o;

Aaah there's a four year difference? I didn't know that..

Iori E
03-28-2003, 02:44 AM
Eh? Am I missing something? The women all look beautiful to me. Well... perhaps with the possible exception of Seung Mina, but even she looks great in many of the pics. (Her character select screen face still looks like Yun Sung's, though...) >_>

DeathCom
03-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Iori E, they are all beautiful... except for Talim, who is simply cute. Often it seems women are more critical of other women :)

Michi: Well, are you considering a Taki costume? My offer of media / whatever I can do, is to anyone interested at this point :)

And yes, four years. Namco it seems, likes to have as many years pass in the game as have happened since the previous game was released. Plus, it takes time to master all those new moves! (that we later take for granted they perform cause we hit back+B)

The Soul Cast has aged seven years since the series began. Thats one of the things I love about the series, because, its like you age with the characters.

-DeathCom

Eriol
03-28-2003, 11:18 AM
The Soul Calibur II timeline has advanced about 4-6 years from the last game.

The women from the previous Soul Caliburs are supposed to look older.

Eventually, they will have to be retired, since they will be too old, and you can't sell games with old women.

Taki is about 30 in SC II, yet she still looks good.

DeathCom
03-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Yep, its sexist, but there are no fighters with women older than like 34 (Mary in Tobal 2). And no, immortal characters like Kitana and her 10,000+ years of age doesnt count. Yeah, its sexist for sure. Considering we got a near 50 year old Paul in Tekken 4, and like an 80 year old Heihachi in SCII (and his 10 strings have NEVER been faster)... But as you say, may not be able to sell many copies with older women as the stars...

However, Ivy is 32, she's going for the female fighting age record (3D at least). She's just too popular for Namco to retire her. Taki is 29, again, she is borderline too important to retire. But thats where I figure magic will kick in. Ivy will probably end up with the Soul Edge at some point and thus become immortal like her daddy. Taki will gain everlasing life through the powers of the demon Gel O Fury whom she sealed within Rekkimaru.

-DeathCom

Jinx
03-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Bah! >_< My brother found SC2 online, and tried to burn it, but it won't work.. :( bad burn? bad copy? who knows *.*

Haruka
03-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Oh i would looove some screen caps and art of Taki, Deathcom ^.~ it really is a shame that not many people try to cosplay as her..well, i know there are some pics of a GREAT taki cosplayer here in the Cosplay.com gallery. I think id like to do her secondary costume in SCII...im kinda upset that they didnt give her a mask in this one...i just thought it made her costume seem a bit more unique. Do any of you know if the game is out it Japan yet? I wouldnt mind importing it....hmmmm...

Michi
03-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Haruka ~ It's out in Japan, yes. ^_^

Eriol
03-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Haruka
Oh i would looove some screen caps and art of Taki, Deathcom ^.~ it really is a shame that not many people try to cosplay as her..well, i know there are some pics of a GREAT taki cosplayer here in the Cosplay.com gallery. I think id like to do her secondary costume in SCII...im kinda upset that they didnt give her a mask in this one...

Taki has a "gorgeous" body that definitely would be hard to cosplay as.

Taki probably has no need for the mask anymore. She has evolved beyond the ordinary Ninja.

Nightmare
03-29-2003, 01:55 AM
DeathCom, if you can find some pictures of SCII Nightmare(the one that he looks human, that'll be great. I have a few, but im trying to cosplay him, but I just need a few more pictures.

But I agree that for the popularity of the Soul Calibur series, there isn't that many cosplayers for it. Or at least that I have seen pics of.

Eriol
03-30-2003, 01:23 PM
DeathCom, if you can find some pictures of SCII Nightmare(the one that he looks human, that'll be great. I have a few, but im trying to cosplay him, but I just need a few more pictures.

But I agree that for the popularity of the Soul Calibur series, there isn't that many cosplayers for it. Or at least that I have seen pics of.

The Soul Edge/Soul Calibur series relies on weapons. Another reason that cosplay for this is uncommon is because A) the weapon is difficult to make B) weapons are banned at most locations

erikadoor
03-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Erika here.

It all depends on how you make the weapons I guess. I usually use plastics or foams. Personally, I always hated the designs until I saw what Hyung Tae Kim did with SCII. Talim's now definitely on my list, altho' I'm having a hard time finding pictures of her other outfits.

Erika Door
http://www.erikadoor.com

aimee
03-30-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm with Erika, the designs for the new one are really lovely. I'd love to see some artwork or really good shots of Talim, Taki and some of the other girls from SCII

Nightmare
03-30-2003, 07:39 PM
I try to make my weapons, to look and feel as real as possible. Of course, who doesn't. But I try to make mine weigh as a real weapon would. I mean, my next weapon is going to weigh at a minimum 30 pounds.

But yeah, I love the way that they made the costumes look as well as the weapons, they are just amazing lookng.

Nightmare
03-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Almost forgot, if you want some fairly decent pics of some characters, any gaming sight should do.

www.gamers.com
www.gamespot.com

These are a couple good sights to get some pics from. Hopefully these are what you are looking for.

Eriol
03-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by erikadoor
Erika here.

It all depends on how you make the weapons I guess. I usually use plastics or foams.

Anything that can pass as a real weapon can be banned, even if constructed as plastic or foam. My only point is that hotels are getting very strict as to what weapons are passable.

I try to make my weapons, to look and feel as real as possible. Of course, who doesn't. But I try to make mine weigh as a real weapon would. I mean, my next weapon is going to weigh at a minimum 30 pounds.

Nightmare's and Astaroths' weapons are probably the heaviest weapons, probably weighing in more than 30 pounds. Can you hold up a 30-pound weapon and swing it like in the game?

DeathCom
03-31-2003, 08:35 PM
Haruka: Will do. Ill get some screens and a video of her (360 degree rotational pan) for you. Probably best to send them to you over AIM, email, or ftp. (I can be reached as DeathCom5)

As for her mask, it was nice in Soul Calibur. In Soul Edge, it was a bit scary (too bulky). Id agree, she has evolved beyond that of ordinary ninja. She cares not to hide her identity anymore. Its not like there is anyone out there she cant handle, so nothing to fear. Plus, she is no longer part of the Fuma clan, that might have something to do with it too. Regardless, she's always had a lovely face, was a shame to hide it. Im more disappointed there is no sign of her 2nd costume from SCOne in SCII. The blue with the Dragon armor is apparently no more :(

Nightmare: 3p Nightmare is Seigfried in this one, you may want some screens of that too, interested?

-DeathCom

Nightmare
03-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Eriol: yeah, its not a problem for me. I can easily bech 200 lbs. and when im done with my weapon, i think that itll be about 40 lbs. Havent finished it yet. Out of money.

Deathcom: sure ill take some pics. Hopefully ill be able to use them though. What i really need pics are pics of his sword and the deformed arm.

Eriol
04-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Eriol: yeah, its not a problem for me. I can easily bech 200 lbs. and when im done with my weapon, i think that itll be about 40 lbs. Havent finished it yet. Out of money.

Wow, if you can bench 200 pounds easy, then you have the body frame to really pass yourself off as Nightmare as shown in your avatar.

The cosplay appearance is most convincing if the entire appearance is as close as possible to the reference image.

Michi
04-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Eriol
The cosplay appearance is most convincing if the entire appearance is as close as possible to the reference image.

Though that's true, it's not a necessity. :P Though I'd rather see Nightmare/Astaroth/Rock cosplayers with the form for it, sure.

Eriol
04-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Though that's true, it's not a necessity. :P Though I'd rather see Nightmare/Astaroth/Rock cosplayers with the form for it, sure.

Anyobdy can cosplay whoever they want. I'm not trying to discourage people. I personally think that a person's body frame is an imporant part of the image.

I don't think it adds to the cosplay appearance when a heavyset person is wearing a skimpy outfit while the reference image shows a "relatively" skinny person (I say relatively, since anime images generally depict nearly impossible body frames).

I, for one, would prefer to wear robed costumes over spandex, since my body frame is average. I'm no muscular stud or anything like that. That'll limit my costume choices, but that is my choice to make. I'd rather look as convincing as possible than just have the right costume.

Nightmare
04-02-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm not necessarily a buff looking person. I just happen to have a lot of hidden muscle that lets me lift a lot of weight. i actually have myself a little fat on my gut, but by the time that I have to do Nightmare, I'll have very little fat on my body.

I believe that the person should try to match themselves to the character as close as possible. Although it is more important to get into the character and act as the character would. Cause it's all about having fun.

PikminLink
04-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Link Link Link Link Link Link Link Link Link Link ............................okay .....im crazy....................that game is going to be soo cool..............*ahem...just because Link is in it^^*

bluesand
04-04-2003, 08:46 AM
This page has some exhibition
http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-exhibition.html
enjoy it~~

Michi
04-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Joke weapons? o.o *tries to download Link video* Wow, this server is slow. ^_^;;; Wait, hey, there it goes! Whee.

Thanks, bluesand. ^^

[edit] Err they aren't working for me. I hear the audio, but no visual. ^^; It's probably just me, too. ~_~;

bluesand
04-04-2003, 03:47 PM
here~some image~

XBOX 720P
http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-720p-snaps.html
http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-xb720p.html
PS2 480P
http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2.html

specific character
http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-misc.html

Eriol
04-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by PikminLink
Link Link Link Link Link Link Link Link Link Link ............................okay .....im crazy....................that game is going to be soo cool..............*ahem...just because Link is in it^^*

For the Gamecube version anyways. Link's tempered Master Sword versus Nightmare's Soul Edge.

DeathCom
04-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Sorry about the delay, here's those photos I promised (be warned, large images, not the fastest server):

Taki's Second Player (http://24.130.222.139/dcm/images/costume/sc2-scr-taki-2p.jpg)

Nightmare's Second Player (featuring the arm) (http://24.130.222.139/dcm/images/costume/sc2-scr-nightmare.jpg)

I also have screens of Taki's first, Taki's all new third costume, and Ivy's first & third costumes at my site (hit the costume screen shots section).

DeathCom Multimedia (http://members.aol.com/deathcom5/)

Haruka & Nightmare, if you need more than those or video, let me know.

-DeathCom

Iori E
04-07-2003, 03:33 AM
Crap. Crap. Crap!

Now, because of those pictures, I really want to do Taki's 2P costume this Ani-Magic. I'm already forming ideas in my mind on how I would do it.

I can't resist! The temptation is too great! >_<
It's your fault! You hear?! All your fault!!! :P

L to the 3rd
04-07-2003, 03:41 AM
o_o;;;;;;;;

bluesand
04-07-2003, 03:45 AM
I will cos Taki's 2P costume, too. She is my boyfriend's favorite char. :D

I already finished her shoes. On her thigh, it composed by three black fan-shaped leather and six bands (connect:1_2_2_1). On her Leg, its covers all area. In addition, white leg armors have hollow out a channel and cross 2 orange bands.~~

Now I should keep my mind on the entrance exam for the gruduate school until April 30 :(

Eriol
04-07-2003, 03:58 PM
I hear Taki's red costume on the Japanese release of the games has a high bounciness factor which will probably toned down for the U.S. release.

Michi
04-07-2003, 04:19 PM
That's silly. Toning it down, I mean.

Wow, Taki's pretty in SCII. I've always wondered how the hell her weapons are attached. XD

DeathCom
04-07-2003, 04:45 PM
How are Rekki and Mekkimaru attached you ask? Magic :) After one sees what she can do in the intro, a simple levitation feat of swords on her back she can obviously do in her sleep.

As for her red costume and the, bounciness factor. Well, that factor remains unchanged for whatever costume she wears. Staying on the technical side of things, SCII sports Namco generation 4 flesh physics. This "engine" features both vertical and horizontal movement. Where as the other games, like those from Tecmo, have only vertical movement. This multidirectional movement does provide the most realistic look yet for someone of her size. However, keep in mind Namco has used this 4th generation engine for all fleshy movements. Astaroth is a jiggle mountain for example.

However, I dont think this will be toned down in the US version. The US arcade version has the same physics. If anything is gonna get censored, Im betting on Mitsurugi's 3rd costume. In which he is apparently smoking. I dont think this will fly too well here.

Back to Taki's costumes. Anyone check out her green one (over at my site)? It seems the white 2p model is quite popular. Sadly, it seems nobody likes the original red :(

-DeathCom <- gladly takes credit for Taki cosplay influence :)

Michi
04-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Smoking? Mitsurugi? o.O Where?

SC on Dreamcast still had Ivy's buttcheeks jiggling a bit after certain moves. ^_^; Chest, too, of course.

DeathCom
04-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Well, Im not 100% sure. On Mitsurugi's 3rd costume, the dark blue gray one, he has what could be a straw in his mouth. However, upon close examination this straw is apparently lit at the end, has a red / black glow on it. Maybe its something Im mistaking, but Im guessing its one of those long style Japanese cigarettes.

And yes, the jiggle factor applies to the rear and thighs of some characters. Taki shows a little cheek jiggle when she hops around, as does Ivy again.

-DeathCom

Haruka
04-07-2003, 07:48 PM
thank you very much for the pics deathcom! (im sorry that i didnt thank you earlier! >_< ) ive seen taki's new alternate costume......it does her NO justice..it makes her look like a ninja turtle......*runs off and cries in a corner*

Nightmare
04-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I saw those pics, that's some pretty awesome stuff. And thanks for those pics DeathCom, I can really use those when making my costume. I like the jiggle that Ivy and Taki have. And at the place that I play, just about everyone likes Taki's red outfit except me. I just like that white one a little better.

bluesand
04-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Mitsurugi he indeed bites something ~According my friend's explanation, that is Japanese samurai's petty habit~~
In the characer profile, every girl's breast swung by a wide margin ~~including Talim~~ @.@

Eriol
04-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Well, Im not 100% sure. On Mitsurugi's 3rd costume, the dark blue gray one, he has what could be a straw in his mouth. However, upon close examination this straw is apparently lit at the end, has a red / black glow on it. Maybe its something Im mistaking, but Im guessing its one of those long style Japanese cigarettes.

And yes, the jiggle factor applies to the rear and thighs of some characters. Taki shows a little cheek jiggle when she hops around, as does Ivy again.

-DeathCom

They would probably remove the lit part of the straw. A straw does not look like a cigarette.

America is great in promoting tantilizing body movements. Let the fan service continue!

DeathCom
04-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Hmm, yeah, might just doctor up the end of the straw. I dont see anything else in the game that would be on the cutting board.

Haruka: Your welcome :) I wish you luck in your Taki costume project. I cant wait to see it!

And yes, her 3rd is very UN-Taki. Elf Ranger? Getting a lift off the Link rush? Dunno. IMO, the Taki look is all about the red first player design. Its her trademark look. The 2nd is nice, and it does grow on you in time, but in some ways its seems a little "me too" ish in concept. Its a shame the third is what it is and not simply a revamp of her complimentary blue dragon-armor esq. design found in SCone. Even in Soul Edge she had a second costume in blue. At least some of the fishnet theme carries on to the new 3rd look, but thats about all the 3rd look has thats in character.

Nightmare: You also welcome :) That arm is certainly going to be quite a task to do well. If you need additional shots, let me know.

The only one that doesn't like red eh? Well, I guess its your fault Taki now has her very different costumes! hehehehe.

And finally, on the tantalizing body movements. Im all for it, as long as it doesn't scare away the female players. I think Namco has found a good balance in the sexy girls with a large jiggle factor, to bishonen ratio. But even outside the extremes, there is a good balance of character designs in SCII.

-DeathCom

Eriol
04-09-2003, 10:37 AM
At least the men of Soul Calibur universe look pretty good too, so it's not just pure male fan service.

Nightmare
04-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks DeathCom, I have an idea for his arm. Hopefully it'll work. But of course I have all summer to do this costume for AWA. And I do like the red Taki outfit, it's just that I like the white and black a little more. But I'm a little strange, so it's all good.

Nightmare
04-10-2003, 12:49 AM
If anyone is going to go to AWA(the only con that I have money for(poor white guy)), and dressing up as any SC2. It'll be kick ass if we could get together for a picture or maybe enter the contest together(my friends are going as characters from other games). If so just let me know.
Thanks,
Your local Nightmare

Scrapps
04-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Heh heh...after seeing Seung Mina's joke weapon I'm half wanting to make a broom instead for ACEN. Speaking of which, does anybody have any 2nd costume Seung Mina pics other than the ones at the beginning of this thread? For now I'm just assuming the left and right sides of her outfit are symetrical.

Scrapps desu

Michi
04-10-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm sure it's symmetrical, Scrapps.. I haven't seen Mina's 2P design, but in SC all of her outfits were indeed so.

Nightmare
04-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I told my friend, who is a huge Voldo fan about the joke weapons, and he couldn't stop laughing.

Michi
04-10-2003, 11:21 PM
What're all the joke weapons? I couldn't get those movies to download...

Scrapps
04-11-2003, 10:13 AM
They have pics of the joke weapons here http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-jw.html

And I finally found a front shot of seung minas 2p outfit. Her skirt isn't symetrical....good thing I bought lots of fabric! But I figured the same thing as Michi...all her other outfits were symetrical...why wouldn't this one be?

Scrapps desu

Michi
04-11-2003, 04:56 PM
...Ahahaaha. XD; Those're great. Ivy has a great new red costume. :O Sexy. But, erm, that one of Seung Mina's scares me.. a dress? Bweh? O_O And has Sophitia gone brunette? Or is that just her 2Pness? Maybe I don't need to dye my hair/get a wig for my 2P Sophitia costume from SCI. :p

DeathCom
04-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Ivy's 3rd is nice, I already have lots of pics of that one up. But Mina... and her 3rd costume... its terrible. Even from a gameplay perspective. The skirt comes up to her chest, the damn thing goes everywhere when she gets knocked over. You cant see whats going on its so big! Its borderline gameplay balance breaking hehehe.

As for Sophitia, this isnt the first time she went brunette. Back in Soul Edge, her 2nd look had her as a brunette.

And Scrapps, if you need additional Mina screen shots, let me know. I plan to add shots of her to my site anyway, but Ill speed things up if you need them now.

Joke weapons... why namco, why? Not only do these weapons look stupid, they sound stupid as well. For instance, as you can see Taki has a pipe. It makes tones (that sound like a train) when she hits someone with it. The Oar that Nightmare gets makes wood sounds. And Voldo's tambourines ... well they sound appropriate as well.

-DeathCom

Michi
04-11-2003, 06:58 PM
So that's 3rd costume? I like Ivy's. I might do that one, or something. XD Haha, no, I have too many SCI ideas. *smacks self* Mina's third costume bothers me. Blardhsgdj. Mmmm I've never played Soul Edge. But eh, would anyone be bothered by a brunette Sophitia in a costume where she's supposed to be blonde? ^_^; I'll probably get a wig anyway, since I need to be blonde for some other costumes, but.. meh.

I'd love to see Voldo smacking someone with a tambourine. God knows he couldn't do his SCI exhibition with 'em, though. XP

Scrapps
04-12-2003, 06:39 PM
I have to agree with Mina's 3p costume. It is horrible. She looks pregnant or something.

DeathCom- I found a few more pictures so there is no rush to put them up, but thanks anyways. I gotta go restart her now....

Scrapps desu

Haruka
04-12-2003, 07:50 PM
yeah, it seems like the guys who were designing some of these 3rd costumes were idiots......i mean..Cassandra wearing a viking's helmit...gack...and seung mina looks AWFUL... ah well, heeh Taki's 3rd costume is kinda growing on me though, its not that bad after all. Well, despite some of the crummy costumes and joke weapons, its still gonna be a kick ass game!! w00+!!!

DeathCom
04-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Dont let it grow on you... just dont. Taki's 3rd costume is a joke. The costume itself belongs to another Namco character from a very old game no one knows about, the character's name is Waya. She was recently dug up from the Namco archives for the Namco Gals collection. Why Namco thought it would be cool to put Taki in her costume is beyond me. In any case, I nearly feel the costume should be stripped from the game for US release. Besides, no one here would get this little Namco history joke anyway. Plus, its not funny. Taki isnt alone in this joke either, Sophitia's 3rd, Cassandra's 3d... both previous Namco Gals.

:(

-DeathCom

Ohmi
04-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Cassandra's 3P outfit is from "Legend of Valkyrie" an old Namco game ^^; Actually I think it's funny.. but I would rather they have put in some nice costumes and had the "joke" ones as 4P instead... haha more work ;P Seung Mina's 3P costume is actually a traditional Korean dress @_@;; (says my Korean friend)... Very good for the legendary "skirt kick" move ;D ;D LOL

Eriol
04-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ohmi
Cassandra's 3P outfit is from "Legend of Valkyrie" an old Namco game ^^;

I see you caught that reference too. NOw how many U.S. game players know of it? It only appeared as part of the Namco Classics on the PS, and on the rarest volume, vol. 5 (the "O" volume).

Originally posted by Scrapps
I have to agree with Mina's 3p costume. It is horrible. She looks pregnant or something.

Seung Mina's 3rd costume is based on traditional Korean clothing. It's not a useful dress for battle, however.

Nightmare
04-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, guess what. My friend got the import for the PS2. And although I don't like Heihachi all that much, the game is really, really good. But none of us were able to get down Necrid's style. It is totally whack. But the game in general just totally left me in awe with the fluidity and motions that every character has. Unfortunantly I do not have any enough money to get a mod and import the game for GC. But I am sure that it'll be not that bad when the US version comes out.

Daala
04-18-2003, 02:36 PM
I totaly missed this topic.. thanks for pointing it out to me Nightmare, I've found some better images of Seung Minas 2p outfit. ^_^

Sparkle Biscuit
04-19-2003, 02:44 PM
I'll be cosplay Maxi in his 1P costume (unless he gets a 3rd and it is way more badass) at the next AWA, hopefully. =D

Nightmare
04-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Sparkle Biscuit, your going as Maxi, that's soooo cool. Im going as 2p Nightmare. If I have time and money, I might do 1p. No matter which costume I do, I'm still going to do Soul Edge. We should get together, I would like to get a picture with you. It'll be sooo awesome. :)

Sparkle Biscuit
04-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Hopefully we'll have a 1P Talim and 3P Mitsurugi too. We totally need pictures.

Nightmare
04-20-2003, 10:11 PM
yeah, if i can remember right, i read on the message boards over on the AWA website that someone is going to do Yunsung.

Daala
05-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Update >> Seung Minas 2p outfit (http://www.kitoutpost.com/main_site/images/sung_mina_cos.jpg)
Thanks for letting me know about the images ^_^, I'm still working on the dress.

Jehuty
05-08-2003, 01:31 AM
In response to Nightmare *cough liar. lol you know i'm just playing, michi that's kinda weird that you think it silly to tone down the (jiggle factor) on taki. lol poor Haruka yeah A friend of mine has the imported version of the game and taki's new costume make it look like she about to team up with the "merry men"(robbin hood ) or something.

Nightmare
05-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Update on Nightmare costume; not much done, got my wig, and have been shopping a few times, still need to find more stuff. Waiting for it to dry up outside here to start on sword, can't let it get too humid. More to come......

Michi
05-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Jehuty
michi that's kinda weird that you think it silly to tone down the (jiggle factor) on taki.

Why's it weird?

Jehuty
05-09-2003, 02:00 AM
I don't know it's just most females hate games or anime in which there is an excessive amount of fanservice because it degrading to women ( I wasn't trying to offend you or anything ) it's just I thought it strange you thought the opposite.....?

Eriol
05-09-2003, 09:51 AM
I don't know it's just most females hate games or anime in which there is an excessive amount of fanservice because it degrading to women ( I wasn't trying to offend you or anything ) it's just I thought it strange you thought the opposite.....?

Not to mention, jiggling seems to be impractical for combat situations. The body mass would be shifting all the time.

Jehuty
05-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Well it's not that I expect the.... endowments to be stiff or anything. You have a good point though Eriol in a combat situation you are almost always in constant motion so I guess it can't be helped. I guess it could distract other players when their playing you though so there is one avantage to taki's 1st outfit

Michi
05-09-2003, 03:39 PM
^^; I think fanservice is funny. The jiggle counter thing in DOA2 Hardcore kinda bugs me and I always keep it down, because their breasts get a bit TOO big and I can't stand playing... x_x; Unless it's Tina. It seems to fit her. Anyway. Shiranui Mai is probably the one character best known for her bouncy bust. In the arcade version of The King of Fighters 2000 they made her sprite stop bouncing in her fighting stance, and it just wasn't right! You can't fit a sports bra under that outfit! I know, because I cosplay it! Thankfully the home version had her bounce back. :D

Yeah that's all. *^^*;

Jehuty
05-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Righ... RIGHT ON ( gives michi high five). So I guess your actually fine with it unless it's not out of control and degrading. Fanservice is funny especially when a guy walks in on a girl and gets a nosebleed. Yeah a sports bra would look ridiculous in Mai's outfit wasn't aware they stoped the bouncing in the arcade WTH. That reminds me of the my pin I just bought she's in her winning pose the "Nippon Ichi" one gawd I love that girl. Have you done a red outfit for Mai I see in the picture your wearing blue ( which is also cool too )

Michi
05-09-2003, 08:30 PM
I've done her red outfit, blue outfit, purple outfit, and the pink one from Fatal Fury. So far. :p I had that pin too, but I accidentally lost it. x.x Gotta re-buy it at my next con!

I want to keep on topic somehow but I really can't think of anything. ^_^;

Jehuty
05-10-2003, 12:04 PM
OH I got it ! I heard a long time ago that there was going to be a Soul Calibur movie (directed by Samo Hung). As for the past expirences with most game movies i'm happy i've heard no further news on that latley. I wonder who'd they'd cast for each character that guy from the Green Mile and Daredevil he'd make a good Astroth, Xiangzi Yi from Rush hour could be Xiangua ( freaky even their names are close), don't know about the rest but those would be good ideas

Jehuty
05-10-2003, 12:06 PM
You know sratch that last post that's even more off topic (well closer than the last). Has anyone done a Voldo costume? that would be a nice one to see.

Michi
05-10-2003, 03:04 PM
You can edit posts, Jehuty.

Soul Calibur movie? When was that rumored?

Gaaah Voldo nooooo. His SCI exhibition gives me nightmares.

Eriol
05-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Yeah a sports bra would look ridiculous in Mai's outfit

This is a video game, after all. The designers can break physics however they like. I'm kind of disappointed that Soul Calibur II uses more fan service now. It was one of the few fighting games where a vast majority of moves looked realistic.

I seriously doubt any woman could fight effectively if her chest was left to sway.
Sports bras exist for a reason.

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

As for the Soul Calibur movie, Sammo Hung, known for his Hong Kong action films and the medicore CBS show Martial Law, did acquiring movie rights for the game. But there seems to be no development yet.

I seriously doubt a Soul Calibur movie could be done right. Past game-to-movie translations have been awful to mediocre.

DeathCom
05-10-2003, 09:54 PM
The Soul Calibur Movie was an official deal between Namco and Sammo's film company. Sammo was planning to use himself and Jackie in the movie, though neither is suited for any character. Jackie could be a Maxi, but he's slightly too old. So it makes one think they are gonna ditch the real cast and just use the concept. Or have it be some sort of Knockoff like Legend of Tekken... which just happens to have characters that look like they may be from something...

As for the jiggle subject again... Eriol, though a sports bra would theoretically be in order, this is the 16th Century, the fibers used wont be invented for another four hundred years or so. However... Taki's costume probably cant technically exist in that time period either (ninja magic again, she does make her own armor). But then regardless, such a costume is designed to keep her in place for active movement. Fan service isnt totally to blame here. The motion isnt that much larger than in SCOne, its just that now it moves in multiple directions, and moves smoother. So technology plays a part too.

And remember, this movement is identical on all her costumes. Its the same motion code at work, every time.

Anyway, its no where near as excessive as DOA has been. DOA was also highly unrealistic due to its vertical only movement. SCII IMO still has the most realistic movement, in both its moves and flesh physics.

Finally, yes there are a few Voldo costumes done. A friend of mine did his SCOne costume which can be found on my site under Katsucon 2001 (Saturday Photos). There is another costumer in Mexico (not sure where you can find pics) who did his 1p costume from SCOne.

-DeathCom

Nightmare
05-11-2003, 02:30 AM
If they were able to get the Soul Calibur movie started, I just hope that they wouldn't get like some small asian guy to play Astaroth. I think that it will be awesome if they were able to get people from different countries to play the characters, i.e. British for Ivy, Spanish for Cervantes. I think that that would possibly be the best way to go.

And about the movement, some people are able to use that to their advantage, someone like Nightmare would have to use the momentum from his body to get his sword around as fast as he can. As for Taki, I can't recall any of her moves that would require her to use her momentum to pull off any of her moves.

DeathCom
05-11-2003, 04:26 AM
Nightmare, not sure what you mean by momentum helping moves and how that goes along with the jiggle factor...

But, on that note, Taki does have a few momentum needed moves. Hurricane Punishment for example (f,f+K), or her Mat (b,b+K,K). Momentum is used to add to each assault. Same goes for her Shadow Run combos, actually even more so in that instance. Taki can also magically create momentum :), take a look at her Wind Death Sault (wind roll, B, B, B).

-DeathCom

Nightmare
05-11-2003, 11:58 PM
I think I lost my trane of thought. I think I was going along the lines that when one has enough momentum creating inertia, when this stops and can cause objects to move agreat deal more than what they normaly would if the momentum wasn't as great. The greater the momentum, the more that the object would move, in this case creating a jiggle factor. *just a little physics for those who care*

But I really don't play Taki all that much, I play more of Nightare (of course), Voldo, Ivy, and every now and then I will pick someone at random and just play as them.

Michi
05-13-2003, 03:43 AM
I got to see and play Soul Calibur 2 on GameCube today!! *squeak* It took getting used to playing with the GC controller (too many hours of SC1 on Dreamcast), but eeeee. It was fun just to watch. :D Very neat new outfits! I can't wait to own it myself. *-*

Eriol
05-13-2003, 10:03 AM
As for the jiggle subject again... Eriol, though a sports bra would theoretically be in order, this is the 16th Century, the fibers used wont be invented for another four hundred years or so. However... Taki's costume probably cant technically exist in that time period either (ninja magic again, she does make her own armor). But then regardless, such a costume is designed to keep her in place for active movement.

Well, it's a game, so they can bend reality if needed. Sos, did women have any sort of chest support back then? Do they use the "bandages and gauze" that I see used as a theme in a lot of martial arts related activities?

Eriol
05-13-2003, 10:06 AM
I think I lost my trane of thought. I think I was going along the lines that when one has enough momentum creating inertia, when this stops and can cause objects to move agreat deal more than what they normaly would if the momentum wasn't as great. The greater the momentum, the more that the object would move, in this case creating a jiggle factor. *just a little physics for those who care*

Astaroth hits hard, because of his size. He is not fast, but his mass makes up for it.

p = m * v

p = momentum of object
m = mass of object
v = velocity of object

It entirely plausible that when a small person guards a big person's attack, the small person gets knocked back a little. Namco did take that into acocunt when designing the Soul Calibur physics engine.

Nightmare
05-13-2003, 02:49 PM
On some of the movess that Nightmare and Astaroth have can knock someone back. It is usually the moves where the weapons move the greatest amounts that cause people to get hit back a little, i.e. Nightmare's uppercut 4+b, dropkick 6,6,k,b, Astaroth's uppercut 8wr,b. I don't play Astaroth that much, so I don't know all of his moves. but these are a few examples of people getting smacke around a little.

Michi
05-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Geez, you guys. I try to bring the subject back to costumes and you all keep talking about the game. :p

Jehuty
05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Well Michi it is a great game. I think every topic you go to people always seeming to get off the topic for a little while. Well back to costumes have you seen any Voldo or Yoshimitsu costumes because if the main costume i'm working on doesn't turn out i'll have a replacement or at least another costume ( i'm sure Nightmare would like another SC cosplayer to tag along with ). But no prommises just a thought I had.

Nightmare
05-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Sorry Michi.

Jehuty: Deathcom has a pic of someone as Voldo on his site. I think that he put it on the 9th page on this thread. It's an actual pretty good costume. And that would be cool if you did some SC.

Jehuty
05-13-2003, 08:06 PM
I said i'd think about ( NO PROMISES ) it's just the jehuty thing is going to be hella hard, and I don't wanna have one costume that's subpar due to it's difficulty. ( even though i'm 85% sure it'll look fine ) Also who just wears one costume the whole time ( well many do ) but who actually wants just that? multiple costumes is better and SC is the only thing I could think of at that moment. I don't think there's been many Yoshimitsu's so I might attempt that.

Eriol
05-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Geez, you guys. I try to bring the subject back to costumes and you all keep talking about the game. :p

But the detours are interesting. We went from clothing physics to flesh physics to Newtonian physics. Nice learning experience. heh

Nightmare
05-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Very true, very true. Think of this as an RPG and these are side quests.

Jehuty
05-15-2003, 02:19 AM
Wow Nightmare you get a cookie for that nice analogy. To bad Cy hasn't posted here yet he would've loved the flesh physics part, especially since Taki was the main focus on it. In that case what should the next of the topic subject be weapon physics ? like how can Nightmare move like that with a weapon so big? or why doesn't he get jerked around when he swings it?

Michi
05-15-2003, 02:36 AM
Or we could talk about costumes.

>_>

I really like Ivy's red one... Meh. I need to play SC2 more. I still prefer SC1 so far.

Nightmare
05-15-2003, 02:50 AM
I like the red outfit also with Ivy, yet my favorite is still the purple one. My fav Nightmare costume is his 2nd player outfit, which I will be cosplaying soon.

Michi
05-15-2003, 03:08 AM
I don't like Ivy's purple outfit in SC2 as much as I liked her SC1 version... But that red outfit is great. I really don't like her blue formal one, because with her hair slicked back she looks like a really ugly man. ^_^;

Jehuty
05-15-2003, 03:10 AM
The blue one is Nightmare's Fav ^_^

Daala
05-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Ivy's Blue (2p) outfit is cool but not as good as the one in SC1. Yes, it's a bit formal and the hair makes her look like a man but with a few cuts here and there it would look better.

The red one is great looking too, however I have to agree that her purple outfit in SC2 isn't as nice looking as the one in SC1.

Michi
05-15-2003, 06:58 AM
It's not that the blue one is a bad outfit! Just.. her hair... *grrrahhh* x.x I do prefer the red version of it from SC1.. but the new red outfit isn't a bad replacement..

Eriol
05-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey, I like Ivy's Victorian-style outfit.
I expect that kind of look from a woman who was once in a noble family.

Nightmare
05-15-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm going to kick your ass Derrick. I do like the outfit, like someone said, it is just that hair, if it was like the other two outfits it would be a lot better, she just doesn't look good with her hair slicked back.

Michi
05-15-2003, 06:59 PM
No one's dissing the outfit. Just the hair. XP

Jehuty
05-16-2003, 01:04 AM
Yeah well if you all don't like it you can play Soul Calibur where even in the victorian outfit her hair is normal. ( or if your like some and prefer it that way that's fine too )

Michi
05-16-2003, 01:09 AM
^^; Calm down. I think we're all aware.

Jehuty
05-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Oh well sorry just making sure.

Eriol
05-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Heh, I think I have to import this game. The though of hearing the dubbed voices again is just sending chills down my spine. Wendee Lee's portrayal of Xianghua not only sounds "off" but her script lines are pretty lame. All of their lines sound not-quite-right. Who wrote those lines?

Lillyxandra
05-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Iím working on Ivyís (sc2) 3rd player costume right now. I have the red jacked/teddy thing just about done. Now my next task is the ivy sword ~.~ Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it? I donít want it to look like is made out of crappy spray painted cardboard, yet I want it to be lightweight.

Also I have her haircut but not the color. How can I get my hair to be white? And yes Iím willing to do anything to my hair to get it that color^_^

Any one else cosplaying SC at AX?

Eriol
05-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Lillyxandra
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it? I donít want it to look like is made out of crappy spray painted cardboard, yet I want it to be lightweight.

Disclaimer: I don't make costumes.

Consider foam-based material for the blade pieces?

Originally posted by Lillyxandra
Also I have her haircut but not the color. How can I get my hair to be white? And yes Iím willing to do anything to my hair to get it that color^_^

Disclaimer: I don't make costumes.

Safest route: Wig
Other route: bleach or hair dye. (there has to be white hair dye, which is probably bleach)

Michi
05-16-2003, 06:17 PM
You have light hair, right Lillyxandra? Just use a white hair color spray, it should work well if you comb it in right. Practice before the con. ^^ I've made my brown hair silver before (see Mosquiton in my gallery), so it's possible.

Jehuty
05-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Lillyxandra is going to make a nice Ivy. It would be nice if she could have the rose whip like weapon that's in the console version of SC II it goes great with Ivy's 3rd costume.

Nightmare
05-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Dude, chances are that she hasn't played the console version. And although the colors do go together, one of her regular weapons would also work. If I can remember right, one of them has a ruby or something red in the middle of the hilt. As for my costume, need chainsaw, must finish cutting shape of sword. That, and just about everything else.

Jehuty
05-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Well it's not like she has to play the game to see it, there could be pictures of it online. I just thought it would be nice. Above anything else who said she would do a weapon at all ?

Sparkle Biscuit
05-19-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm just sad that Maxi didn't get a third costume. His third was awesome in the original Soul Calibur. Oh well, his 1p costume is still cool, and that's what I'm cosplaying, so it's all good.

Nightmare
05-19-2003, 02:23 PM
I guess. I'm notfond of Maxi. It makes me upset when people just mash buttons with him, eat you barely, and claim to be all that.

Nightmare got a third costume, but I like the 2p costume the most. That is why I am doing that costume for AWA 9. It is going to be soooo cool, especially if I can get that darn log carved into the Soul Edge.

grendizer
05-20-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm a maxi fan and I just completed a costume that I wore at ACEN03. It's a kind of hybrid of his SC2 costumes. I'd appreciate some feedback on what you think of the design.

Nightmare
05-20-2003, 02:44 PM
It is a pretty nice costume. I guess once I get off my fat ass and get started on my Nightmare costume, Ill show pictures of it on the site.

Lillyxandra
05-20-2003, 03:26 PM
>Michi< You have light hair, right Lillyxandra? Just use a white hair color spray; it should work well if you comb it in right. Practice before the con. ^^ I've made my brown hair silver before (see Mosquiton in my gallery), so it's possible.

My hair is naturally an ash blond color so that just might work. What is the name/brand of silver hair spray you used?

>Jehuty< Lillyxandra is going to make a nice Ivy. It would be nice if she could have the rose whip like weapon that's in the console version of SC II it goes great with Ivy's 3rd costume.

Thank you ^.^ Ivy is by far my favorite fighting game character! Thatís a good idea about the rose whip weapon; Iíve seen a picture of it on http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-exhibition.html Also itís not a bulky as the others so it would be easier to carry it around all day.

Does anyone else have any good pictures on that weapon?

Thanks!

Nightmare
05-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Afraid not, you can ask Deathcom, he'll be the best person to get pics from. If not, you'll just have to get the game to get the pics that you need.

Michi
05-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Lillyxandra ~ I actually dunno; we used two types. There's a certain brand that's always at Party City stores.. black bottle with a top that's the color of the hairspray. I usually use that stuff. Usually it looks crappy, but that's for colors like yellow on brown hair that turns green. :p White'll be fine. I'll try to look up the brand name if I can.

Daala
05-22-2003, 06:36 AM
Question? I've made one Seung Mina staff, I was looking to make another one just to have 2 for Otakon. Any suggestions? I've been looking at (http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-weapons.html) but there's so many...heh.

one more thing, anyone see any good Mitsurugi cosplayers? I'm in the process of making the SC1 armor and I was just looking for other cosplayer images. Tho the scary thing here is that his SC2 armor looks a lot easier.... I have patterns for japanese armor if anyone needs them..*sigh*

DigitalCactus
05-23-2003, 01:21 AM
My gallery....

you MUST see it to believe it....