PDA

View Full Version : Skull Sader Helmets - Lenses?

ChrowX
09-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Reference (http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6057/skullsaderswm1.jpg)

The problem I've got is the lenses on these helmets. I have a few ideas, but I need some suggestions for these helmets. The rest of the costume is pretty easy to manage (mostly clothy stuffs).

So, what's a good way to make the eyeball parts on these helmets. If I just paint them solid black that means we'll have to constantly take the helmets on and off, or something else that's equally annoying. Would there be a way to tint some plastics black so We can see through them, but from the outside they still look black? Could I potentially thin a paint down to get the desired effect?

Also, I'll gladly listen any other suggestions concerning these helmets. I need to make a few of them for my group, so any and all suggestions concerning them, the costumes and so on would really help me out.

WARPAINTandUnicorns
09-10-2006, 02:32 AM
I would look of black/grey round lens sun glasses and pop out the lenses. Since there would be no light coming from inside you mask they would be dark black in shade.

Or Pebeo Vitrail Glass Paints makes transparent black (I think they are the only one) it would be darker then the sunglasses but may be cheaper in the long run. You can paint acetate, lager sheets of it can be purchased reality cheap so you can make several round circles out of it for the eye pieces.

If you have access to plastic sheets I recommend buy some thin white sheets and use a heat gun to heat it around a structure (clay replica) of the shape you want. The inside may get dirty but thatís cleanable and itís the out side that counts. The eyes and the nose can be cut out after you got the shape.

Yoshiii
09-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Oh...my God...

Just the fact that you're doing an Air Gear cosplay, I give you made props.

Everybody needs to watch that show.

@_@

AJREDDSON
09-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Not sure if it will work or not, but you could try getting football helmet visors, the opaque black kind, then trimming those to fit your needs… Any part that ISN’T supposed to been seen through you could paint as appropriate.

ChrowX
09-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Not sure if it will work or not, but you could try getting football helmet visors, the opaque black kind, then trimming those to fit your needsÖ Any part that ISNíT supposed to been seen through you could paint as appropriate.

You know.. when I started cosplaying I didn't think I'd be hitting the sports supply store at all, but it seems I may need to head back there again.