PDA

View Full Version : Anime/Video Game soundtracks you just have to listen to -- Any Recommendations?

jen_kat
03-17-2003, 02:23 AM
So I was sitting on a ferry boat in San Diego tonight (just randomly in San Diego), and I had my CD Walkman with me. I was listening to my Chrono Cross soundtrack and taking in my surroundings: the sky, the water, yadda yadda. I got to thinking that when I listen to music, it makes me see things differently, and it influences my mood. The CC music made me feel peaceful, but slightly sad. But I love it nonetheless and listen to it all the time.

Do any of you have soundtracks that you just have to listen to? Ones that you listen to all the time and never grow tired of? Ones that you know will make you feel a certain way when you want to feel that certain way?

Michi
03-17-2003, 02:26 AM
Final Fantasy VIII's soundtrack, I found, is one of the few four-CD collections that I can listen to, often, all the way through without wanting to skip a track. :F
Shoujo Kakumei Utena also has gorgeous music that I love to listen to the entire CDs I have.. which are only three.. but I'm working on it. ^_^;

KANEDA
03-17-2003, 02:40 AM
ROBOT CARNIVAL
Meikyuu Monogatari
AKIRA
Memories
Metropolis
Cowboy Bebop
Macross
Macross Plus
Bronze ZetsuAi
Arslan Senki
Weathering Continent

just off the top of my head.
..my stack is too huge to go though right now hehe

MargauxZ
03-17-2003, 03:57 AM
The Inuyasha BGM soundtracks are amazing. I think the Ranma music is fun and cute, so I carry DoCo's cd around with me.

ZiggyB
03-17-2003, 04:20 AM
I've been listening to the Witch Hunter Robin soundtrack. It's very relaxing, jazzy, moody type of music.

For something with a bit more kick, I've been listening to the Galaxy Angel OST. To me it's like... Japanese Aqua, yes that's a good thing because I like Aqua. :)

I've also been slowly going through the Sakura Taisen Complete Song Box, 8 CDs of Sakura Taisen goodness. :D Basically live performances and songs from the series, OVA and movie.

KANEDA
03-17-2003, 04:23 AM
and as game soundtracks go...
RAYSTORM's soundtrack is awsome!!!!!

KaineMaxwell
03-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Anything related to Final Fantasy or Square.

haru
03-17-2003, 06:41 AM
Chrono Cross!
FFX-2 !! the BMG music really rock, good for dancing
Escaflowne
FF8
kingdom heart!

Oshidori
03-17-2003, 08:43 AM
well they've all been mentioned, but basically ANYTHING by Nubuo Uematsu or Yoko Kanno

Rosiel
03-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Anime...

> Arslan Senki

Wow and I thought I would have to be the one to write that one down. Arslan Senki is highly recommended, especially the Best Of.

Games...

Grand Finale is the best FFVI CD (it has the full Aria in it, worth buying if only for that), and I can't recommend enough Xenogear's CREID.
As stated, Chrono Cross is also a winner.

Kia
03-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Oshidori
well they've all been mentioned, but basically ANYTHING by Nubuo Uematsu or Yoko Kanno
I SOOOOOO agree! Yoko Kanno is a musical godess in my eyes! ^_^ Macross Plus (Voices can be so eiry ^_^), Cawboy Bebop (Jazz music is so much fun!), Earth Girl Arjuna (Wow, all I can say is wow), Escaflowne (SHADOW OF DOUBT! Go listen to it now!).
Other than the Kanno music fest (which I happen to have over 18 hours of ^_^) The opening and closing songs from Gasaraki are fun, and I personally LOVE Heavens and the Earth and When Godess sings your melody from Ayashi no Ceres.
Enjoy! ^_^

Michi
03-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Whee! I found a new keeper today! The soundtrack to Noir. I'm getting it as soon as I can.
Also, I forgot to add the jazzy snappy happy Mosquiton OAV soundtrack, which I've yet to buy. ~_~;

Full Aria on it..? I'm interested, Rosiel. ^^ Can you give anymore info on Grand Finale? I wonder if I've seen it at Japantown before... so many varied FF CDs there..

Sakura
03-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Some of my faves that I recommend are:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Rayearth OAV
Noir
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon
Gundam Wing

Those soundtracks are purdy *_*

Shadow Lady
03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
The first trigun CD has some fun music on it. Good sad ones too.

I listen to my Big O CD sometimes because I'm a freak for The Big O and I like the music. :D

Damn. I need some Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne CDs. Awsome music!

supesu otoko
03-18-2003, 06:22 AM
Silent Mobius & Cowboy Bebop i think are definitely good.

psythe
03-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga....Yasunori Mitsuda is awesome!

Gasaraki has an incredible soundtrack, as well as Noir(1-3) and Boogiepop Phantom.

Yui
03-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Hmm, stuff I can listen to constantly: Xenogears Creid, Soukaigi OSV, Romancing SaGa : La Saga, FFTactics OSV, Vagrant Story OSV (except for a couple admittedly non-musical tracks), Kingdom Hearts OSV. Xenosaga wasn't what I was expecting, but it's well-worth it. & I don't know *why* - but the Guilty Gear X Image Vocal Tracks (it just grew on me...all that hard-core engrishy indies j-rocking ^_-*) Um, and I love Castlevania's Dracula Battle PC CDs, too.

+ I also am usually up for 90% of the remixes from Overclocked or by Majestic Mix &/or the One Up Mushrooms. (My old modem-fried computer's only function now is to simply store practically every game remix mp3 in existance...)

Zephyrs
03-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Wild ARMs. original, 2, 3... it's all great stuff **has Into the Wilderness - Into New Voyages from WA playing right now** Michiko Naruke owns my soul, easily my favorite game soundtrack(s). CT and anything Xeno are also really nice, along with the FF5 cds.

Keurblitz
03-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Marmalade Boy Soundtrack ^_^

DarkFlame
03-22-2003, 05:33 AM
I bought the american Dragon Ball Z soundtrack (best of). It's good, but does it count, 'cos it's not the original japanese soundtrack?

Arc_The_Lad
03-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire 1-4.

Recca-kun
03-23-2003, 08:16 PM
jen_kat: Seconding psythe and others, if you like Chrono Cross music then you should definitely check out Yasunori Mitsuda's other works like Xenogears (OST and Creid), Chrono Trigger, and Xenosaga. ;)

As for other video game soundtracks I would say GGXX for something rock/metal, and for other fighting games the King of Fighters '99 OST or 2000 Arranged are good especially when driving places.

I seem to be mainly listening to OC remixes recently, with Wild Arms 1 for when I need some good music late at night while doing work.

*Notes he has said "me too" for his game choices* ^_^;

Anime-wise I would say Gravitation and Macross 7 for vocal songs, and maybe Armitage III, Angel Sanctuary, and Ayashi no Ceres for background music (although the latter two have very catchy vocal songs as well).

MikigamiTokiya
03-23-2003, 08:45 PM
FF9
Nightmare before Christmas
Edwards Siccor(sp?) hands >> i love danny elfman ^^ll
and of course para para

Giant Alucard
03-24-2003, 08:17 AM
The Hellsing and Evangelion sound tracks were pretty cool to me.

DragonWraith
03-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Um, I don't listen to this but only cuz I am stupid enough to have not brought it yet. I listen to it at my friend Shaz's house a lot though. It's a video game soundtrack and it kicks booty.....RESDENT EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't spell it though.

DragonWraith
03-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Damnit! It ain't Japanese.....oh flumps, I know nothing!

Lady Ava
03-26-2003, 04:58 PM
All the Final Fantasy soundtracks are beautiful and good for relaxing or helping you conceintrate on work. But, my personal favs are 7, 8, and 10. ^^

Also, the Ledgend of Dragoon is very good as well was Kingdom Hearts ^^

Kenshin-sama
03-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Samurai X, Noir, and Halo.

RyuHayabusaDOA2
03-29-2003, 10:58 PM
too many to list:
anime max Para Para
FF6-8
FF10
Xenosaga
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Utena
Eva
Magic Knight Rayearth
Xenogears
any j-pop CD
I have too many favorites! gah!

XLainoftheWired
03-29-2003, 11:32 PM
me, personally

FLCL vol 1 and most of 2
Sailor Moon Song Collection, its still so awesome to me
Cowboy BeBop of course
Saikano
The Kanon soundtrack is good.

TheLoneWolf
03-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Anime:
======
Haibane Renmei
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshin

Games:
======
King of Fighters
FF-related
Chrono Cross

Jinx
04-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Space Channel 5 1 and 2. :P

MrWonderfulToji
04-04-2003, 11:49 PM
to second just about everyone, Xenogears OST is fantastic, I can barely make it through Small of Two Pieces without crying... so sad.
As for dancier tracks, my Dance Dance Revolution Max soundtrack is AWESOME! lots of great techno and j-pop, great stuff!
and the coooolest.. Streets of Rage 2! Yuzo Koshiro is a musical genious, and this showcases it. Anyone who listens to "Go Straight" will want to beat up a bunch of generic guys named "Donovan" and "Garcia"
heh
sean

Romann
04-05-2003, 01:00 AM
I really want the xenogears soundtrack.... but I don't know where to find it!! My fave ST is Final Fantasy X ('the Splendid performance' is my favorite) and I have the DDR 3rd mix ST that's really good too. But the ones I listen to the most are my Yoko Kanno CD's...I got my High School band teacher hooked on Cowboy Bebop, and I love the escaflowne soundtracks...they are just so beautiful ^_^

XeroRadius
04-09-2003, 04:46 PM
My Fav's would have to be:

Chrono Trigger...
Zelda(Ocarina, Majora and Wind Waker)...
And some random remixes off of Overclocked.

Edit: *adds SSB:M Orchestra CD to the list*

How could I forget about that...?

And Mega Man 2...