PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Stores

baku_neko
03-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey, I'm going to San Francisco, CA this summer and i was wondering if there were any anime/manga shops out there worth visiting?

Michi
03-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Yes! Most definately. ^_____^ Japantown has Kinokuniya Bookstore. :D It is a happy place.

shwong
03-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Of course!

Like Michi said, Kinokuniya Bookstore. But also try wandering around Chinatown. If you don't have a preference for Japanese or Chinese, most manga in Chinatown is translated in Chinese. *shrugs* The art and story are still the same.

There's also a lot of *cough*bootleg*cough* anime stuff in Chinatown.

baku_neko
03-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Do Kinokuniya bookstores sell artbooks, or just manga and other asian books? Oh and how big are they: like Borders size or smaller?

Michi
03-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Kinokuniya has artbooks, magazines (from Jrock mags to Shounen Jump), manga, and Asian books of all sorts. :D

The one here is... I dunno.. It's a good size, I guess. Not huge, but fits well in its corner of the mall. o_o; There's plenty of manga, though, haha.

The alternative is Kinokuniya in San Jose, which seems to be bigger from what I remember.

baku_neko
03-17-2003, 03:58 PM
How about pricing? Is it reasonable?

Michi
03-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Yesh, usually. Manga is usually $5.50 each, give or take some cents. :P

Babbit_Chan
03-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Yep, I'd recommend Kinokuniya too. Their English manga is the regular retail price, but their Japanese manga runs for about $5 (Like Michi said ^^) and they have a pretty big selection (the shelves! the shelves! *faints*).

Umi
03-17-2003, 08:23 PM
For anime.. go to Japan Video. They're a rental store but they've also got a large selection of anime DVDs for sale. It's also at Japantown.. just in a different building.

videogirlc
03-18-2003, 02:34 AM
Japantown would be the best place for manga and and anime dvds. Kinoukuniya has art books and english and japanese manga.

baku_neko
03-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Where exactly is this Japantown you speak of?

moo
03-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by baku_neko
Where exactly is this Japantown you speak of?

http://www.japantown.ws/index_noflash.html

Google is our friend. *pats Google on the head*

Michi
03-18-2003, 12:23 PM
http://www.bayareaanime.com/sfjapantown.html

This site has good coverage of the anime stores and such. ^^ Includes photos of Kinokuniya. :F

baku_neko
03-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Do any of the stores there sell import video games?

Umi
03-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Actually one of the Mikado gift shops allows you to play some import games on the TVs outside the shop, but I don't know if they actually have them for sale. o.O; They should.

edit: Kinokuniya sells some too I believe

edit again: If you're primarily interested in import video games my friends know a small shop in the Sunset District that sells a lot of import games, chipped game systems and domestic games too.

baku_neko
03-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Umi
Actually one of the Mikado gift shops allows you to play some import games on the TVs outside the shop, but I don't know if they actually have them for sale. o.O; They should.

edit: Kinokuniya sells some too I believe

edit again: If you're primarily interested in import video games my friends know a small shop in the Sunset District that sells a lot of import games, chipped game systems and domestic games too.

Does Kinokuniya sell GBA games? The reason I'm asking is that I want one of the Hikaru No Go GBA games, perferablly the second one, and if I can't find it anywhere else (I really hate buying these sort of things, mostly electronics, online. Sometimes it can be a real pain in the a$$. I like seeing the product in person, not via some photo on a website. Online shopping is usually a last resort for me), I thought I might find it somewhere in San Francisco. Maybe the shop you metioned last Umi has it...do they have a website or something?

Michi
03-20-2003, 01:18 PM
I've never seen GBA games at Kino.. o.o; Or else I'd've searched for and bought the HikaGo one.. XD Mm.. I do know I've seen Super Famicom games at the gift shop next to Mikado, but I've never searched extensively. @_x

Umi
03-20-2003, 10:13 PM
The store I was talking about is called Games Etc. and as far as I know they don't have a website. In fact I can't even find where exactly they're located. Guess I'll call information tomorrow and find out ^__^

They should have GBA games. Last time I was in there, the neighborhood children were drooling over some of the imports... like Pokemon or whatever it is kids are into these days =/
<--- bitter 'cause they kept bumping into her

Umi
03-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Sorry it took me so long. I'm on spring break and I haven't been on the net for the past couple of days.

Anyways...
Games Etc.
1810 22nd Ave. @ Noriega Ave.
San Francisco

Just dropped by Japantown today and I can say for sure that there are no import games for sale at Kinokuniya or Mikado Kids' Korner. In fact they even got rid of the T.V. screens and game playing there.=/ Oh well. Jtown is still a good place if you want to check out anime, manga, and music.

Michi
03-24-2003, 09:24 PM
What does Games Etc. have? o_o I've never been there, come to think of it.

Umi
03-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Video games... v^.^v ...lots of import video games and they sell japanese consoles and all those nifty accessories especially for rhythm and music games.

My bro's friend told me there is a video game store on Noriega and 22nd that is going out of business and is selling games cheap. I think he said GameStop... but 22nd and Noriega is also where Games Etc. is o.O;

I'm going to check it out later this week and find out. Video games on sale... whee!

Michi
03-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Heyyyy... Import games are happy. I should check it out sometime soon! ^_^