PDA

View Full Version : Homemade/After-market remote?

astillar
09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Because sometimes you've gotta take pictures of your costume and the ten-second timer just isn't enough time.
Some cameras can take pictures by remote control, but mine doesn't have that function, nor are there any add-ons or peripherals that can do the job. So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success rigging something up to add that feature to their camera?

Megarush
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
do you know if you can modify the timer's time.mine you can put 2sec,10sec,30 sec or custom
if not,i already read somewhere that you could buy like what your talking(remote control) but with a wire.

astillar
09-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Oo, increasing the timer? That would help. Now where's that manual?
I wouldn't mind using a wired remote, that'd just mean I'd have to photoshop out the wire. That's worth it. As long as I don't have to open up the camera, I'll make any little doo-dad to make it remotely controlled.

staereo
09-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Camera model?

astillar
09-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Uh, Olympus C-5500. It's got an itty-bitty button, but it might be possible to rig something on top of it.

Oklahoma
09-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Look for a mount for the camera that can hold a cable release. A cable release actually presses the button on the camera instead of plugging in so it needs an actual mount to hold the camera and the cable release. I believe that they make generic ones that can hold certian sized cameras for shooting with telescopes. You simply mount the camera in it and then adjust the location of the cable release so that it presses the button. You can set the camera in timer and get into possition and then press the cable release and you have ten seconds to get rid of the cable from the shot and you are already in position. A cable release will be pretty easy to find any actual camera store should have them but the mount may be a little harder. Also a cable release will not be real expensive but I don't know how expensive a mount will be I will try looking and update later.

OK, Found a cheap mount for a cable release it straps on to the camera and holds any standard cable release it is $36 and you can find a cable release for anywhere from $7 to $75+.

Cable Release mount link. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=109447&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation)

astillar
09-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Ah, thanks for the tips. That sounds very promising. Now I just gotta look into what lengths the cable release comes in. Even if it only comes in short lengths, I can rig something up, I'd bet. Thanks!

AdamN
09-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Cable releases are usually plug-ins or screw mounted in a metal hole in your camera (much like a tiny headphone jack). I've yet to see one that "sits" on the shutter button.

Unfortuneately, your camera model doesn't support any type of remote or wired controls (according to Olympus compatibility chart https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/em_display_other.asp) Under remotes, your camera model doesn't have a compatibility dot.

So, unless someone can find or know how to make a release cable that "sits" on your shutter button (which I've never seen or heard of, but could be wrong) you seem to be stuck with the 12 seconds timer feature on your camera.

Or better yet, bug one of your friends or relatives into being your photographer.

SolarTempest
09-16-2006, 02:36 AM
I wasn't able to dig up where the tutorial is, but I have seen home-made cable releases for cameras without screw holes in the shutter releases.

They pretty much look like a C-clamp that goes over the shutter button and around the bottom of the camera body. A plunger is fixed to the top of the clamp, right above the shutter button. The plunger is connected to a cable, with a button on the end (salvaged from an actual camera cable shutter release). Not optimal, but I've seen it work well.

pengudeus
09-16-2006, 10:05 AM
My timer on my cam only goes up to 10 sec. However, I noticed that my cam has an interval shooting mode. I set my camera up to take a picture every 30 seconds. It seems to work well :D

astillar
09-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Ooo, that's pretty cool. And now that I've dusted off my old manual, I've found that my camera also has a time lapse mode (interval shooting). I can only lower the interval to a minute, but it'll shoot continuously. It's kinda inefficient, but at least I won't be playing "Beat the Timer" anymore. Thanks guys!

Oklahoma
09-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Cable releases are usually plug-ins or screw mounted in a metal hole in your camera (much like a tiny headphone jack). I've yet to see one that "sits" on the shutter button.

Unfortuneately, your camera model doesn't support any type of remote or wired controls (according to Olympus compatibility chart https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/em_display_other.asp) Under remotes, your camera model doesn't have a compatibility dot.

So, unless someone can find or know how to make a release cable that "sits" on your shutter button (which I've never seen or heard of, but could be wrong) you seem to be stuck with the 12 seconds timer feature on your camera.

Or better yet, bug one of your friends or relatives into being your photographer.

The link that I posted is for a strap that goes over the camera and allows a cable release to be possitioned over the shutter button. But the best is still to find someone willing to take the pictures.