PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 3 help

Kissmedeadly24
09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Hello everyone. I need a bit of help from the girls that play Soul Calibur, although the guys are definitely welcome to help if they can, with making Amy's first player costume from Soul Calibur 3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/AmyArtwork.jpg

I need anything from material advice to possible patterns to use and even more screen shots would be helpful. If anyone can help me out, please write your suggestions in here or PM me. I also need any help I can get on making her weapon. Thanks in advance to all those who help.

penny_dreadful
09-15-2006, 03:43 PM
There are a multitude of threads that cover weapons-making, including an all-purpose sword-making thread (check the props and accessories forums for it), so I'll leave you to browse that.

The hardest part of this costume, aside from the weapon, is probably going to be her bodice. You need boning in that thing, otherwise it will not stay on. Putting in boning isn't actually all that hard, it's just a bit fiddly and takes some practice; I suggest you do mock-ups to get a feel for it before you actually begin the project. It's quite probable you could do the entire thing patternless, even the bodice, since it's just a matter of putting the right shapes together and not especially complex. The long skirt is basically just panels, the ruffly skirt works out to be more strips of fabric gathered and layered, the sleeves are fairly straightforward, and even the bodice could be done without a pattern if you draft carefully using muslin or another inexpensive scrap fabric.

As for fabrics, it depends on your budget. I think a nice low-sheen satin would work, with vinyl for the trim. The roses could just be silk but, if you have the patience and know-how, I think they'd look amazing if they were done in leather. Her shoes look suspiciously similar to a pair I saw in the Gothic & Lolita Bible, same color and everything, but similar shoes could be found. It's not that hard to paint or dye shoes, either.

For the stockings I would use flesh-colored fishnets over opaque black stockings, then sew the garters yourself and add them over the thigh-highs. I would also advise you check out the "where to find----" thread in General Costume Help, because it lists sources for fabrics, stockings, trims, and more.

Are you planning to use your own hair or buy a wig? Completely accurate sausage curls may not be feasible if you're using your own hair.

--Penny

Kissmedeadly24
09-16-2006, 02:15 PM
For the hair I am planning to use my own hair. It's already extremely curly and I've done smaller sausage curls for a Lolita costume already. I believe that it should work out well.

Thank you very much for all the help, if you have any other tips for me feel free to let me know. I plan to start the costume in about a month or so, I just want to pool ideas now so that I can prepare. I'm also already experimenting with boning as you were saying. Thank you again!

penny_dreadful
09-18-2006, 09:42 PM
The bigger the sausage curls get, the harder they are to do-- but you may be able to pull it off. I wish you luck; personally my hair never does what I tell it to do.

Oh, you might want to think about a skin adhesive of some sort to hold the arm things up. Elastic could work, but depending on the weight of your fabric and the snugness of the elastic they might start slipping down and get really annoying. I hear a lot of cosplayers with sleeves like that (Xianghua also wears a style like that in one of her costumes) use spirit gum or another adhesive to keep them in place.

--PD

Kissmedeadly24
09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks, I actually already thought about the sleeves and I have spirit gum already from another cosplay I did. It worked awesome that time so it should work out on the sleeves.

The costumes refernce picture up there isn't actually as good as I thought it would be. I'm now actually going to be doing her second player outfit instead.It's pretty much the same exact thing except it6's in black and white. As soon as I get a good shot of it, I'll post it.