PDA

View Full Version : Buckles that are not buckles and belts that are not belts

Celine
08-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Has anyone come up with any particularly interesting ideas for making belts and buckles? There are SO many characters who require an excess of buckles these days. I've tried wire, and heard that cardboard can be used for larger buckles. What have other people tried?

And, as for belts... I'm talking about huge belts that are at least 3" wide and are therefore not possible to buy. It is purely decorative and doesn't have to hold anything up, however, it must be flexible so it can bend around a waist. What would you use for that?

LiL QoH
08-10-2002, 01:50 PM
I'd buy some plastic mesh since it bends.. then hotglu or base stitch fabric to it :) It would be able to bend around the wais and all that good stuff

L to the 3rd
08-10-2002, 03:06 PM
If you have friends or family that were really
fashionable during the 80's, they will have
those huge 3 inch belts. in the 80's, it was
all about belts...

Nietsche
08-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Here's something you could try for wide beltstraps..

Get some of that funfoam stuff...you know that sheet of flexible fun that you can get at many WalMarts craft section!

You normally buy it in A4 or A3 sizes but I have seen it available in huge sheets!

But if you get the stuff that's black and about 3mm or 4mm thick you can glue a sheet of pleather to this then cut the strips from this of whatever thickness you require!

As for buckles you can use cardboard but make sure the corrugations or grains are going vertical and you support it with wire to make it keep it's shape! Or you could try using sculpting clay but be sure to support that with something too because it will be brittle and may break when you accidentally collide into something..

This was the method I adopted to make that sword holding belt that Claude wears!

kelldar
08-12-2002, 08:27 AM
For belts (if I can't find it at the salvation army/good will store ^^;), I usually use black vinyl from the fabric store (or whatever colour needed). It's perfect for belts and you can cut it to any shape you need, of course.
I've only made one belt buckle and it didn't turn out too swell, so I always thought that next time I'd use friendly plastic. They sell it at most hobby stores, and it's just a piece of plastic that when you dip it in hot water you can mold it (after it cools off it's solid like plastic again). I used it to make some of my jewelry for my lina costume, and what I did was cut cardboard into the right shape, then melt the friendly plastic over it. It gave it a nice hard feel and look to it. It comes in gold and silver colours, too.

L to the 3rd
08-13-2002, 12:10 AM
ayyiiee! Final Fantasy characters ALWAYS have more than
2 belts on them or something! Lulu and Squall are good
examples. -_-; I had to ghetto soo many belts and I only did
3 FF cosplays so far.

HaloNoir
08-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Ya, buckles are near impossible to find... Jo Ann Fabrics doesn't even carry the kind with tongues! If you want to buy regular buckles on the net you have to buy like a minimum of 100 all of the same kind which is awful :b I finally just got some off of e-bay... 20 for $15 which wasn't bad... they were only 1.5" though. I went with the vinyl for straps as well... works great and doesn't fray :) For buckles that big you might want to check into industrial strapping/harness shops... For small buckles I've had luck at horse tack shops.

Koumori
08-13-2002, 09:08 PM
So, L-to-the-3rd... how'd you do it? :)

By the way, gorgeous avatar. I'm envious.

Jibrille
08-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Vinyl/Pleather and model magic(or something similar)
worked pretty good for me. ^^

Kusanagi
08-14-2002, 02:24 AM
This was the method I adopted to make that sword holding belt that Claude wears!

You went as a Star Ocean character?

Pics??