PDA

View Full Version : Kaoru is a brat xD

Yui
03-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Yes, he does it on purpose:

"How do you feel when you see cosplayers dressing like you? Do you ever purposely create a really strange and bizarre fashion just to see if anyone tries to copy it?

Kaoru: Are you asking if I create something that they can hardly cosplay...?

Yes,...Do you, Kaoru?

Kaoru: Well, yes, I think I actually do. I try to create my clothes as strange as possible so nobody can copy them. Also, when they see our photographs, it would often be impossible to make out the details of the black clothes or something...Then I try to design itís detail elaborately so nobody can recognize them on the photographs. It would be amazing, and I would appreciate it if anyone were to find out the detailed design, and cosplay perfectly, but I usually create mine in a way that I doubt that someone would be able to copy them perfectly. (smile) "
~ from Dir en Grey's first U.S. interview in New Grave, May 17, 2001 (yeah, most of you have read this before ^_-)

So, I say we thwart his evil scheme to discourage us, and dedicate this thread towards Kaoru cosplay support. ^_- (I'm breaking this off the other thread as it might get lost for OTness)
And so...Lyn (and friend with very good taste), what parts did you need assistance with?

Lilli
03-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Little brat :3

Heheheee

Kirschwasser
03-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Heh heh...lovely Kaoru. :p
I wouldn't even try to cosplay one of the outfits...too hard for a beginner like meeeeee. :D

Michi
03-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Uwahahaha. That's great. XD; I love it.

Then again, I don't have any want to cosplay as him. :P

khamryn
03-18-2003, 02:31 PM
hahaha that amuses me.. I would so do the same thing in his shoes XD

DancingVampire
03-18-2003, 04:47 PM
haha! I read this interview before and laughed at this

PS: Iment to bring this up before but you know that big purple hat he wear sometimes?, well when he wears it with sunglasses does anyone besides me get struck with the image of a bug? Im not sure why bu every time I see him in the hat and sunglasses I think of BUG!

Cyber Wolf
03-18-2003, 08:59 PM
lol Yui, he's got your number! XD Yeah, he does look like a big bug DV. What a freak ^^

Did anyone see a certain pic of him with platinum blonde hair? I sorta stumbled on some sort of collage of pics of him with blonde hair, ahort and sort of curled under. He was wearing plaid pants too #_#

Yui
03-18-2003, 09:34 PM
"How about you Shinya?

Shinya: No, itís not for me, I donít take my image so seriously."
You'd think by now interviewers would know *not* to ask that boy yes-or-no questions. He seems to answer yes or no to even not yes-or-no questions. O_o*

It seems as though it'd be far less pressure to live up to Shinya's standards for cosplay, so if they ever get over here again, I'd probably have to do one of his costumes over Kaoru's. Otherwise, I'd be all nitpicky and stressed out over getting everything right, knowing that he knows that I know that I can't exactly match....oh, why must he mess with my already messed-up sense of aiming for obsessive perfection?

Hehe...bug...yep, Kaoru's so fun how he can manage to wear dead things or resemble a mutated animal and still carry that air of seriousness. What a leader. ^_-

Michi
03-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Shinya seems to wear the less complicated stuff more often. o_o *nods a lot* I like his outfits. ^_^;

shiroi_yukiko
03-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Cyber Wolf

Did anyone see a certain pic of him with platinum blonde hair? I sorta stumbled on some sort of collage of pics of him with blonde hair, ahort and sort of curled under. He was wearing plaid pants too #_#

Yup, that's what color his hair is now. I think he dyed it that color sometime around the tour final (January 11), so I guess it is still that color.

soshi
03-19-2003, 11:41 AM
isn't that from that Newgrave interview? X_X; *kills Newgrave*

I have a few Kaoru outfits planned for indefinate dates in the future, and yeah, they all are really detailed. but I feel that with enough obsessising, staring, and watching PVs millions of times in a row, that they can be done very accurately. ^_^;;

Yui
03-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah, see Soshi's got the right idea. ^_^ The thing about his outfits is that you can't just sit down and work on them, you have to slowly build them over the course of...like forever, finding little bits for it every so often and trying desperately to get good refs. Not for everyone, but the whole fact that he's purposely challenging cosplayers just seems inspiring.
(The one thing nice about j-rock cosplay over all other kinds is that you know it's physically possible to build it at least, no matter how complicated it seems -_-*Also if you don't get it exactly right, only about 4-5 people in the world would even notice...)

soshi
03-19-2003, 04:40 PM
well, let's all make a pact to appreciate good Kaoru cosplayers. XD so maybe in like three hundred years, when my Raison Detre Kaoru costume may perhaps be something akin to finished, there will be someone around to say "hey, you remembered the faded plaid! good job!" XF;;;

Yui
03-19-2003, 07:27 PM
ooo...like a secret society to carry Kaoru costume love down to later generations. Okay! I think there's only 10-15 cosplayers tops in this country that have done a Kaoru thus far, probably a few more wanting to, but if they all pass it down through their families, it'll be like a chainletter deal and evolve into a huge religion of 'walking the path of Kaoru'...and then we pioneers shall be like saints.
Hah...cosplay makes one so delusional.

We should make like a scavenger hunt list of pieces people need. ^_-

die-sama
03-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Did anyone see a certain pic of him with platinum blonde hair? I sorta stumbled on some sort of collage of pics of him with blonde hair, ahort and sort of curled under. He was wearing plaid pants too #_# <<<

That was the Postcard photo with the plaid outfit and the plaid hat ~~;; Um i think it was a postcard from 2000. Toshiya is in lingerie smoking a cigarette in a bathroom right? and Kyo is taking a blood bath ^^;;

kaoru's not a brat :X he's just honest *lol* a lot of his costumes are hard to pull off~ and they have all this hidden detail and stuff ~~;
evil

*goes back to her kaoru shrine*

Yui
03-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Ah, yes. Being evil is more accurate.
:heart:
And he's right about it showing how dedicated a cosplayer has to be. Though,
I think he'd be scared a little if someone got it exactly right.

soshi
03-23-2003, 11:26 PM
I don't think getting a costume exactly right would be the brand of an insanely obessed fangirl, just someone who is dedicated to accurate cosplay, and has a damn good eye and a fair share of luck. ^___^;

domestik
03-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Mou. You just can't have everything no matter how hard ya try. XD;

I like most of Kaoru's outfits, but I have yet to feel any desire to take one on. o_o; Die's outfits too, for that matter....

I wanna do Shinya's Kisou outfit. o___o

manaxmana
03-31-2003, 09:03 AM
Hee hee.. Kaoru sama... A leader sama will always talk like a leader sama *grins*

Merle-chan
03-31-2003, 03:15 PM
I think it's neat that he thinks cosplayers should work hard if they are going to copy outfits. Not to mention it's cool how detailed he is. I love Shinya and Kyo's outfits ^_^.

Minakolabelle
04-07-2003, 12:01 AM
I know how everyone feels, I'm currently working on Drain Away for AN and I have actaully spent hours counting how many flipping spikes he has on there. So if any one wany to know how many are on there just let me know and I'll be happy to give you an estimate on them.

But so far so good I have his boots done and they costed me a whole $3 go me!

the_tennyo
04-30-2003, 12:02 AM
blahaha?? well....that sure is interesting, any of you see the fanclub clip on kazaa called Shinya is a wimp?

yukarikudou
05-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Hmm, I thought that pic was of Toshiya... oops. Anyways, I'm (I think) doing a Kaoru for AnimeBoston 04, so yes I will walk the path of Kaoru. ^_^ hmm, my children and my children's children, walking the path of Kaoru... *cracks up* But anyways, I think I'm going to need a lot of help, as I have only made clothes/cosplay stuff for myself a grand total of two times. Hopefully people can help with patterns and shyte like that. Ah, btw, Hi Yuki! I finally got my ass out here. And now you know who I'm doing for the 'DEG Group 2' thing. Yep, uh-huh. Talk to all y'all later.
-yk

shiroi_yukiko
05-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Yay! Kaoru! I was going to cosplay Kaoru one time... anyway, that will be awesome. I hope the whole 2 group thing works out all right. Twice the Dir en grey fun!

RichAyanami
05-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by the_tennyo
blahaha?? well....that sure is interesting, any of you see the fanclub clip on kazaa called Shinya is a wimp?

Haha, where, who was it? Kaoru? was petting Shinya... hehehe

Yukari, Warumono, can't wait to see you guys there! I'll be your Myaku Kaoru!! XD ...now to go find lizardy material to make a dress out of...

yukarikudou
05-08-2003, 02:24 PM
yeah... -_-; this whole who's gonna be who thing is turning out weird. I was thinking about being kaoru when you and kuroe were like, hey, we think rich'll be kaoru. I was kind of like, eeehehe, how nice... I don't really care about who I'm gonna be, I am just getting whiplash due to the number of times this whole thing has changed. fill ya in later...
-yk

db chan
05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
bu ;-; our group is going as horribly ghetto DEG members. My Die costume's not too bad...but don't ever ask me to make you a kaoru costume on short notice...@.@

Poor Sanni, having to wear it...and poor me for having to walk around with her in it XP

Yui
05-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey, you all could be Kaoru. ^_^ *imagines being overrun with Kaoru cosplayers...turns into KaoruKon*
Well, maybe, it'd be a bit much. But it would be a bit amusing.

yukarikudou
05-11-2003, 11:14 AM
that *would* be amusing... *pictures all the pretty kaorus* ^^ anyways, it turns out I'm doing Die... mebbe i should start a die cosplay thread....-yk

ambitiousmiyavi
05-13-2003, 05:32 PM
I haven't yet tried to make a kaoru cosplay outfit. But i have been using his hair style with my other random jrock costumes. I love his hair styles. ^-^ But someday i will cosplay kaoru, its just there are too many good ones, don't know what to choose.

I would love to help overrun a con with tons of kaoru cosplayers. That would be sooo much fun! kaoru revolution.^-^

yukarikudou: nice avatar...hehe^-^

yuriko
05-13-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm new to this whole site...

But I've done two Kaoru cosplays so far.
And yes they are such a pain!
But I kind of love the challenge of it. I also curse his hair since we don't have professional stylists to make our stand on end for hours...

I was actually considering doing that plaid suit with the white wig, just because it's so ridiculous.
He doesn't always have the best fashion sense of the group...

I'm also considering doign Ain't Afraid to Die for some future cosplay. And I want his big fuzzy hat!

yukarikudou
05-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ambitiousmiyavi

yukarikudou: nice avatar...hehe^-^

heehee, i like it too.
-yk

ambitiousmiyavi
05-13-2003, 08:14 PM
yuriko: Is it the same plaid suit where he has like straps across his face?
I saw these girls cosplay it in harajuku. It looked really nice. I was thinking about doing it. But i couldnt tell if it was pants or like a dress thingy.
welcome to the site ^-^

yuriko
05-13-2003, 08:36 PM
ambitiousmiyavi:
I'm pretty sure that's a Toshiya cosplay~ and I think it's a dress. Good luck if you do~

Kaoru's is actually a plaid suit with a short white wig from the postcard set way back.
The plaid Toshiya dress is more recent~ hope that helps a little...

ambitiousmiyavi
05-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Yeah thanks. I had to look more closely at the picture and it was toshiya. >_<,,,,. But that's ok. Thanks!

char_hakkai
05-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Kaoru-san is a punk, isn't he? ^^ I was so mad at him when I read that article in Newgrave...since I'd just finished my Mitsu to Tsuba Kaoru outfit. x_x Aiya, how difficult that was...and he did it on purpose. @_@

And I say amen to encouraging Kaoru cosplay!
Last con I went to, me and my best friend were cosplaying Mitsu to Tsuba Kaoru and Kyo. I swear, fifty people stopped my friend and went, "Kyo-sama!! *^.^*"
NO ONE recognized me as Kaoru. -_- And not because I had a horrible costume either....>_> Uwah.

chibi_kitsune
05-23-2003, 11:54 PM
I read that interview once.

Minakolabelle
05-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by char_hakkai
Last con I went to, me and my best friend were cosplaying Mitsu to Tsuba Kaoru and Kyo. I swear, fifty people stopped my friend and went, "Kyo-sama!! *^.^*"
NO ONE recognized me as Kaoru. -_- And not because I had a horrible costume either....>_> Uwah.

I had that same prob with my Drain Away kaoru at AN this year, once I stepped outside the J rock room people kept on calling me Kyo O_o

Yui
05-25-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't get it...I mean, the two of them really don't have the same style at all. Why can't people get a little more educated before they just run around thinking they know what they're saying? Nothing wrong with lil' Kyo-sama, of course, but I mean...come on, everyone. I'd rather random peeps had no clue whatsoever than mix the two of them up.

I should make little signs for all us Kaoru supporters: "I'm cosplaying as the leader of Dir en Grey...and I'm not Kyo, dammit X_x"

Minakolabelle
05-25-2003, 09:57 PM
I mean I know I had bright white blond hair but my kyo was standing RIGHT BESIDE ME -_-;;;;; but no they called ME Kyo and glomped me O_o

I mean I told people that I was Kao but look they dun listen -_-

http://www.animecafe.net/conventions/animenorth/viewimage.html?gallery=2003&image=dscf0032.jpg&class=*&start=0

Yui
05-25-2003, 10:41 PM
glomping even? ...arg *shakes all the confused ones down*
That's it, we gotta instigate that Kao-con afterall...just so people don't embarass themselves further...so painful...

cutekawaii
05-25-2003, 10:44 PM
so what did toshiya and kyo and die say about their clothes and cosplayers?

Minakolabelle
05-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Yui
glomping even? ...arg *shakes all the confused ones down*
That's it, we gotta instigate that Kao-con afterall...just so people don't embarass themselves further...so painful...

yes please do...... can I pre reg now? even though I have no clue how I'd afford to get down there and manage to make the other 2 kaoru costumes I want too >.>

yuriko
05-25-2003, 10:50 PM
You think that's bad? I was wearing my Macabre Kaoru cosplay at a con few years back, I had bright pink hair and that black-snakeskin outfit.

this person came and took my picture:
Them: "Are you Mana?"
Me: -_____-;; "No. I'm not from Malice Mizer"
Them: ".....Who's Malice Mizer?"

*sigh*

Kamui
05-25-2003, 10:52 PM
yeah? hehe. btw, nice kaoru cos!

Yui
05-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Toshiya and Die weren't in the interview, and Kyo doesn't say anything in particular about cosplayers, just that he dislikes effeminate things and bashes "one silly band" for promoting that kind of weird imagery. (Gee...wonder who he's talking about...? ^_-)

Yes, everyone come pre-reg for Kao-con...um, maybe we can have it up in Canada. Course I don't know how I'd get up there then. Um, but I can easily vow that if any con that got Kaoru to show up, I would, no questions, be there.

Minakolabelle
05-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by yuriko

*sigh*

*falls over* what? omg now that is sad....

I say we start spaming every where where there's just rock cosplay with signs that say "this is Kaoru, he's from Dir en Grey, he's not from Malice Mizer and he's NOT kyo" -_-;;;;

Countme in for kao con XD

If we have it in Canada we should do it inteh winter so we all don't sweat to death in all that plather.....maybe we shoudl tell him about this con devoted to just him, he might like the idea and join us >.> you never know it could happen >.>

I mean he's crazy enoughto run through the audience and let his fans grab him why wouldn't he wanna be a GOH at his own con?

Yui
05-26-2003, 01:27 AM
The idea of such a wonderfully specific personal cult con to deitize him is far too appealing. *is enjoying imagination land*
...But then we return to the issue of him noticing every little minute difference in our cosplays compared to his real outfits. So...we gotta drug him up first or something so he doesn't remember.

Anyway, back in the real world, I like the signage idea a lot. I promise to really promote that.

Minakolabelle
05-26-2003, 08:02 AM
well nixt tiem I wear a Kao costume I will bring a sign, and make sure my Kyo is with me at all time XD

If he complains about the costumes, we eat him and go "it's yoru fault XP"

well maybe we won't eat him.... but we can still blame him right?

cause it is his fault for being eeeeeeeeeevil towards us -_-;;;

cutekawaii
05-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by yuriko
this person came and took my picture:

*sigh*

That's not nearly as funny as when it goes something like this:

me: *dressed as Mana* >: | <~blank bitch face
person: "Oh nice costume! What series is it from?"
me: "It's actually Mana from Malice Mizer, a Jr-"
person: "Oh I love that series!" *click*
me: >_O

char_hakkai
05-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Mana? Kaoru mistaken for...MANA? x_X
Aiya. That's harsh. Of course it seems that whenever Jrock is mentioned the first thing out of someone's mouth is "Oooh, Malice Mizer!"
And people wonder why I DON'T like them....

'course, seems my eternal luck to be just overlooked when I'm cosplaying Kaoru. ^^ This weekend at Animazement I was cosplaying Mitsu to Tsuba Kaoru and had Kyo, Toshiya and Shinya with me....
Random person #1: "Oooh, look! It's KYO!"
Random person #2: "Oooh, look! There's Shinya and Toshiya too!"
Me: "-_____- Grr."
Yes, I believe a sign of some sort is necessary to carry around...

But anyways, I am one of the luckiest Kaoru cosplayers EVER.
http://homepage.mac.com/char_hakkai/kaoguitar.jpg
The only way that could have been cooler is if that was Kaoru's own guitar I was holding there. *__* Eee.

Yui
05-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Hey, you made the coat thingie, too. Isn't that like the coolest part?
!
XD
I wonder if that is the same guitar they made me hold at Katsucon? I was walking around the dealers' room in FILTH and was confusing every passer-by, so I finally brought a clump of the curious ones over to the HoA booth and was making a big deal and basically giving them a Diru lesson in a nutshell. And then someone working there asked me if I had seen Kao's guitar...and I was like "...Wha?" and then they took it down and let me pet it and someone took a picture. (I gotta track that one down someday.)
I so wish I had a spare $900 laying around to actually claim it. Um, but I promised no impulse guitar purchases until I can at least play it.

(And a little off-t: Yeah, unfortunately, Mana and co. are getting infamous in not necessarily good ways...but even if there's a bunch of idiots who make being an MM fan a bit embarassing, I'm still an eternal fan. Well, of Kami and Yu~ki anyway.)

Hey, I'm glad we don't have to eat anyone. Mutilation's okay though, if you wanna go that route. ^_-

...And so, the Holy Order of the Eternal Kaoru Cosplayer Promotional Pact (in conjunction with Kao-con) must now raise funds to print us out official signs. We'll have to bring this up at the next meeting. Yeah...

Minakolabelle
05-29-2003, 06:29 PM
noo no no no no we can all make our own signs XD

we must raise money for a certin GOH that we need at kao-con *nods* yes we really need him to come to that.

Speaking of which, what would we do about his security O-o I dun want him being killed.

Yui
06-05-2003, 01:00 AM
we can be his security! Just wear something heavy &/or spikey and we'll ram into whoever's in his way. Yeah, he won't be touched...uh, unless he *wants* to be.
Anyway, I think I really am gonna make little signs and info packets or something and pass them out at AX at my table. Hehe.

Minakolabelle
06-05-2003, 01:07 AM
excellent, I will bring drain away then, I will fall on any one who touches him if he doesn't wanna be touched. ask nuriko, i glomped her, it hurt >_<

I just told my Kyo about the whole "omg kyo" glomping incedent, she was totally oblivious to it, she gave me a WTH?? O_o look XD

nuriko001
06-05-2003, 01:11 AM
hehee.. i don't understand how anyone can understand you hehehe

YES SHE HURTS!!!.. ouch.. i had the spikes peircing me. hehe:).. am me your kyo? HAHAHA teheheh

Minakolabelle
06-05-2003, 01:13 AM
btu of course you are, who elce would I bribe to make kyo costumes with bbt?

Yui
06-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Ack, I usually don't do this, but...Admin/Kyle got a totally killer photo of my Kaoru head and just posted it up. So happy.
:heart: Kao :heart:

http://images.cosplay.com/photo.php?photo=3159&exhibition=24

ryuichi fangirl
06-07-2003, 11:39 PM
omg...I read that interview...gah...I was like .."you WHAT?!..that was ON PURPOSE?"..XD...actually..I am trying to get a Kyo cosplay together...and have been considering a Kaoru for later on..now I am pretty sure I'll have to do it...just because..lol..sometimes Kaoru is so evil ...(lol..j/k)

BTW Yui...your costume ownz...it looks great!^^

yuriko
06-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Yui
Ack, I usually don't do this, but...Admin/Kyle got a totally killer photo of my Kaoru head and just posted it up. So happy.
:heart: Kao :heart:

http://images.cosplay.com/photo.php?photo=3159&exhibition=24

that's insane *_*
I'm in awe with your skill

Yui
06-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I forgot my skull ring at ACen...oh well...good besides that. ^_^ It's a really nice comp...me gots to buy a print next time I see him.
Um, should I bring FILTH Kao to AX or are peeps getting sick of it? I'm just trying to decide right now what kind of suitcases I need...gigantic or simply immense.

shiroi_yukiko
06-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Yui~ Bring it! Bring it to AX! ^^ I wanna see it!