PDA

View Full Version : What'd You Think of the Contest?

Utai Mitsumo
09-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Out of everyone that showed up to the contest, I want to know what you guys think of everyones costumes?

First I want to make it clear that this is not a thread to make people think that some of the cosplayers were cheated out of an award (my bf and I were the Krad and Dark...didn't win anything...don't care). This is not a sob story thread. Since we missed most of the contest anyway (we were in a corner in the back trying to relieve the pain in our backs from the wings all day), I want to know thoughts from everyone else!

Be nice if anything...we don't want this thread to get locked now, do we?

DizzyFan
09-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Ari-chan got youth first place! YAAAAAAAAY!

Yoshiii
09-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm upset only because I came early afternoon, and it was already too late for me to enter the contest.

That makes me mad, after all the time and money spent on my costume.

That, and I'm sure I would have won SOMETHING.

:/

DizzyFan
09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm upset only because I came early afternoon, and it was already too late for me to enter the contest.

That makes me mad, after all the time and money spent on my costume.

That, and I'm sure I would have won SOMETHING.

:/

Oh, you definitely would have won something. : D

Dragontrap
09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I just believe that some people who received awards actually didn't do that good of a job to deserve them (The most accurate is one of them. The costume was not near as accurate as some others I saw while I was in the contest).

And no, this is not saying I should have won anything for Manga Envy cosplay, I entered last minute for the fun of it ^^.

Venus Knight
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Scream if you see a technical difficulty! :angel2:

Amechan
09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
ahhhhhhh!

DizzyFan
09-24-2006, 11:18 PM

And there sure were alot of them. xD

Yoshiii
09-24-2006, 11:49 PM
ahhhhhhhhh?

lol

Katie
09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Bust.

DalaiLiam
09-25-2006, 06:13 AM
I have to agree with the bit about not agreeing with the Judges. I'm a little less than impressed with best of show. I guess that's just because I saw it up close though. I'm not really all that sure what their criteria was, but I saw alot of costumes that I felt were much better. I wasn't even in the show so don't think it's that I was saying I was doing better or anything.

Garnet216
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
I know a looooot of people were really frustrated with the (lack of?) organization with the pre-judging. I ended up leaving around 12:30 because I had been sitting around since 9 am and I was afraid I was going to end up missing the entire day! I worked very hard on my costume (I was the Cloud with the gigantic Buster sword) and while I would have liked to have gone on stage with it, I also wanted a chance to - well, let's be honest, we're all cosplayers here - show it off at the actual con! From talking to others, I hear it started to pick up after that, but after we were told we could be there as late as 4:00, I was like 'nuh uuuuh.'

If anyone from the staff reads this - maybe staggering the scheduled meet times would work better next year. For instance, since they pulled all the youth out first, then the large and bulky costumes, maybe have the youth and anyone in a sizeable "I might pass out" costume arrive earliest, then the people in 'regular' costumes arrive at a later time. I've not done con staff before, so it may be that I just don't know how it works and that this simply is the best way. Who knows? But that's just my suggestion. It was pretty frustrating for those of us who arrived early to get just pushed back like that, since the whole point in arriving early was to get out of there early and go on with the rest of the con day. :)

In any case, I got to see some absolutely beautiful costumes while I *was* in the prejudging. Congrats on a job well done, everyone.

Ragresen
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I did not attend the Masqurade or costume contest if you wish to call it either. I know folks how had bared out the long line ( which is allways that bad each year for Prejudgeing ) which say it is the worst part. Basically AWA has likely the worst organisation for a Costume Contest of Any Convention I had atteneded. I saw the Prejudgeing for AX as I was an Award winner from one of thier smaller contests in 2004 and the contestents at AX were only held for Prejudgeing at most 2 hours and that was later in the afternoon when most of the panels were over with and the Dealers room was closed. Frankly I do not understand why AWA takes so long. I hear that last year and this year if you were in prejudgeing and the Contest you basically wrote off the entire day Saturday. I do not wrote this is be mean or rude, but rather in the hopes that things can change for the better.

Dragontrap
09-25-2006, 08:55 AM
I know a looooot of people were really frustrated with the (lack of?) organization with the pre-judging. I ended up leaving around 12:30 because I had been sitting around since 9 am and I was afraid I was going to end up missing the entire day! I worked very hard on my costume (I was the Cloud with the gigantic Buster sword) and while I would have liked to have gone on stage with it, I also wanted a chance to - well, let's be honest, we're all cosplayers here - show it off at the actual con! From talking to others, I hear it started to pick up after that, but after we were told we could be there as late as 4:00, I was like 'nuh uuuuh.'

If anyone from the staff reads this - maybe staggering the scheduled meet times would work better next year. For instance, since they pulled all the youth out first, then the large and bulky costumes, maybe have the youth and anyone in a sizeable "I might pass out" costume arrive earliest, then the people in 'regular' costumes arrive at a later time. I've not done con staff before, so it may be that I just don't know how it works and that this simply is the best way. Who knows? But that's just my suggestion. It was pretty frustrating for those of us who arrived early to get just pushed back like that, since the whole point in arriving early was to get out of there early and go on with the rest of the con day. :)

In any case, I got to see some absolutely beautiful costumes while I *was* in the prejudging. Congrats on a job well done, everyone.

I agree with that. I ended up having to waste a good bit of my Saturday just for prejudging.... And they could have ran things much smoother instead of a huge gaggle like they had going on. I even missed one of the photoshoots I wanted to do because of prejudging :bigcry:

RanChan03
09-25-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree with that. I ended up having to waste a good bit of my Saturday just for prejudging.... And they could have ran things much smoother instead of a huge gaggle like they had going on. I even missed one of the photoshoots I wanted to do because of prejudging :bigcry:
Yea i too wasted a NIIICE bit of time on sat, i could've gone and done my ichigo cosplay for the bleach photoshoot.

Stupid me during the cosplay, i proposed to the MC, i wanted to shout to the crowd *wishes i had a mic during my miroku cosplay*

I don't know why they banned the skits, the cosplay took as long as the other cons i have been to with skits and walk ons.

Utai Mitsumo
09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
My bf and I were lucky in the prejudging since we were a bulky costume (because of his wings), but it was going too slow for our liking (he was about ready to pass out).

Believe me, I thought it was seriously unorganized, but we luckily made it through early enough to not miss the whole day (sorry for those who had to wait FOREVER!)

Wakusei
09-25-2006, 10:43 AM
If I hadn't been grouped together with such wonderful people in my portion of the line then I probably would be screaming about time also.
The Pirates of the Caribbean, the Furries, the Naruto-Sasuke twins, the Anbu Squad, and most of all the Nico Robin...
Yall were great and made my long wait very worth it.
Alot of people screaming about time were outta there long before I was too.

I was the Sanji and I'd whip yall up up a meal in my galley anytime.

Brittany Bunny
09-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Well I already made a huge post on AWA's messageborad with problems and my advice on how to fix them. I tried not to just complain, but offer possible solutions...I dunno. They might just tell me to shove it, lol.

Like somebody else said...I'm not sure what criteria the judges were using, but sometimes it didn't always seem to add up, I think. I won't mention any names or anything, but I'm sure some of you know what I mean.

Unless they do a major reorganisation, I won't be doing it next year. I showed up at 8am and was about 4th in line, and had a big costumes (I had wings). I was hoping to be done by noon. My fiance had to go set up my table in artist alley and sit at it for me almost all day. I felt horrible for doing that to him. And my dad came to a con for the first time ever on Saturday, and I couldn't even do anything with him. I'd rather have my time on Saturday to do stuff, rather than be stuck in a line/room/smelly and wet backstage area almost all day.

Digitallica
09-25-2006, 12:59 PM
The costume contest would have been much, much better, if they had only done one thing while anouncing the awards:

Included the cosplayers NAMES on it! The numbers were just an insipid and confusing way for the winners to receive their awards.

When you think of award shows---do you think of the winners being anounced by number?

That's really all I'm willing to say, because my friend [The Ifrit], had to deal with so much garbage from Security while waiting in the Pre-judging line, that it just overshadowed the whole costume contest to me.

weotu
09-25-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree it was pretty disorganized this year (and moreso than other contests I've been in), but I've been going to AWA since '97 and I've noticed the contest line has always been that way, so I KNEW I would be devoting my entire day to it. Sure it was a pain, but I had fun talking to the other people in the line while waiting...

Actually I was lucky, though in the original line in hall across from Jocks and Jill's, I was about 20 people back, apparently (tho I felt fine) a 17 foot shawl and full circle skirt that weighs nearly 7 pounds (the whole outfit is about 10lbs...so I was basically carrying a gallon and a quarter of milk around for 12 hours Saturday) constitutes hot and bulky so I got pulled from the seated novices to be in that line...though it was nicer to sit...the really great Yuuko that was in front of me had a chair....

Anyways, I've been to conventions where the waiting conditions were worse, so despite all the troubles the poor staff had, it wasn't so bad. I even talked to the director of the event Sunday and he felt really bad about everything. Apparently we were supposed to be given official backstage passes (with art and everything) after we were judged to keep the numbers straight and there were so many typos in their lists, making the handwritten corrections difficult to read, and a myriad of other issues that just made this a bad day for everyone.

finalfantsy86
09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I wish the Miroku that got slapped across the stage won....after he got off of the stage,:) :toothy: I just happened to be by his friends and he was really funny...8D

athena-chan
09-25-2006, 07:56 PM
There where major numbering mishaps with giving away 2 of the awards. (though one was getting an award anyways, they where just given the wrong award)

Fansveiw has the awards listed wrong, and one girl got an award basicly because of the numbering issue. (I belive they are letting her keep the award and just renaming it, it's not her fault this happened)
They can't really take back an award after they've handed it to someone.

Kiarae
09-25-2006, 08:52 PM
All right, I was in the contest as the squishable Mokona Modoki. Right before I was suppoesd to go down for the contest, I noticed that my badge had fallen off of my ear, meaning that I couldn't proove my membership until I got a Baka Badge the next day. (registering had already ended) The coordinators for the cosplay contest said that I wouldn't need my badge during the contest. So then, why is it that after I bounced across the stage that I was asked for my badge upon reentering the Ballroom? I had just been in the contest for crying out loud! You HAVE to have membership to compete in the first place!!

Bri-sama
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Yea i too wasted a NIIICE bit of time on sat, i could've gone and done my ichigo cosplay for the bleach photoshoot.

Stupid me during the cosplay, i proposed to the MC, i wanted to shout to the crowd *wishes i had a mic during my miroku cosplay*

I don't know why they banned the skits, the cosplay took as long as the other cons i have been to with skits and walk ons.

I remember you! Yea the pre-judging along with the rest of the contest was a bit fubar.
I was the fluffy kyuubi, (might not remember but you lead me and my friend who was the Misa Amane to the contest itself)
Yea and i thought that anyone in a hot bluky costume were going to go first because of the fact they were in a "hot bluky costume" but yea didn't happen.
I felt sorry for the priamid head i hung out with in line, he couldn't take off his head.

MisatoNpenpen
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
I thought it was nice that they took into consideration the fact that some people had hot costumes and needed to get out of there. It was good to do them first. I agree that everyone else should have been told to come back or something (I actually left for about an hour to get food so I wouldn't pass out). From behind stage, I thought the costume contest was good, I just wish we didn't have to wait so freaking long the entire day.. we were all developing some form of ADD lol. I wish I could have done a lot of other things that day, but I've been told that the AWA contest usually is a full day thing, so I guess that's just the way that it is. Honestly I don't have any gripes (specially now - after the fact), but it was pretty tiring and stressful to wait so long @.@. I also feel bad for the contestants that won something but their awards were given to the wrong number/that whole mixup.

phantoms_angel
09-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I almost missed a photoshoot because I didn't get out of line until around 3 and I had been there since 9 am. It stunk this year because of that. I wasted my entire day for the contest and just felt pushed aside after all the hard work on my costume. But...oh well...the dancing red monster thing did brighten my night.

Flowery
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM

athena-chan
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I do belive that every one who was suposed to get an award at least got a award. (my award got handed to the wrong person so they made up a new award to give me on the spot)

The only one who might not have was the Purple Wolf like thing from FFXI
He did get an award but never got his trophy. If you know him please have him contact AWA about getting his trophy.

Evali
09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
I think Jason is posting the official list very soon on the AWA forums.

livvylove
09-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I personally think it took forever, I know unless I have a really bulky costume I don't think I am going to enter it again even though the outcome was nice :) I missed a few meetups and didn't see anything on Saturday. I think the award announcing was a bit confusing but I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said before. I felt horrible for the Pyramid Head who ended up dropping his head backstage because the lack of room.

AllCatsAreGray
09-25-2006, 11:21 PM
The wait times for the participants were absolutely ridiculous. I mean, as a Dan Hibiki cosplayer, I wasn't expecting to win anything; I just wanted to get on stage for a moment and be Dan, so I didn't care much. I fail to see how even 120 participants would require six hours for judging.

But oh well! I wonder if anyone got my autograph I threw from the stage...?

estample
09-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't want to come down too hard on AWA's Cosplay Contest people - afterall they did bring us some dounuts, bagels, croissants and water to munch on while we waited.

It did suck that it took so long and that everything was basically "Hurry up, move to this place and wait!" Maybe that was an organization issue or maybe just a quantity of people issue (I haven't done many contest so I really can't speak too much). Would have been nice if they told us from the get go the order in which they were going to call people then I could have seen some panels I wanted to and still would have been back in time to get judged!

Maybe next year they should do it by time? They know about how many people the judges can see in an hour so assign people times and then they come back at that alotted time to be judged or something.

My issue actually lies in the contest registration forms we had to fill out. A lot of the people around me (including myself) weren't sure what to check "Novice" or "Journeyman" because we had all made costumes before but either hadn't enter a contest or hadn't won anything so our questions was what do we check? How is it ranked? Is this about awards won or contest entered? What?

But overall I think it was pretty well done.

RanChan03
09-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I wish the Miroku that got slapped across the stege won....after he got off of the stage I just happened to be by his friends and he was really funny...8D
Thank you very much ^-^ i appreciate it

Were you able to tell what i said to the mc?

RanChan03
09-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't want to come down too hard on AWA's Cosplay Contest people - afterall they did bring us some dounuts, bagels, croissants and water to munch on while we waited.

It did suck that it took so long and that everything was basically "Hurry up, move to this place and wait!" Maybe that was an organization issue or maybe just a quantity of people issue (I haven't done many contest so I really can't speak too much). Would have been nice if they told us from the get go the order in which they were going to call people then I could have seen some panels I wanted to and still would have been back in time to get judged!

Maybe next year they should do it by time? They know about how many people the judges can see in an hour so assign people times and then they come back at that alotted time to be judged or something.

My issue actually lies in the contest registration forms we had to fill out. A lot of the people around me (including myself) weren't sure what to check "Novice" or "Journeyman" because we had all made costumes before but either hadn't enter a contest or hadn't won anything so our questions was what do we check? How is it ranked? Is this about awards won or contest entered? What?

But overall I think it was pretty well done.

Here's from what i know
Novice-0-2 awards
journeyman-3-5
master-6+ awards

that's all i know about the awarding systems

ookami-chan
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
My friend and I were the Org. 13 Roxas and the Kairi with the massive keyblade. We were the second Roxas/Kairi pair.

The wait was terrible. Standing in line in that hallway was frustrating. My friend was stuck in her really hot leather cloak, and she was suffering from a bad bout of allergies. =( Thank goodness for the con-mom that was in line ahead of us; she made sure we had water, and got people to make room so my friend could have some air. We were really thankful for the staff who supplied us with water as well. My friend really needed it.

The look on the Pyramid Head's face when his head dropped broke my heart. Luckily, my Roxas and I had that thing of hotglue. We shoved it into the hands of a passing con staffer. We only had one stick, but I think he was able to fix the head. We felt so bad that we only had one stick too. xD We didn't think we'd need any more; the only reason why we had the glue in the first place was just in case the chain in her Oblivion came lose. I'm really glad he won something. =D His group deserved it.

And congrats Livvy! You guys totally deserved your award as well!! =D You guys were so cute!!

finalfantsy86
09-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Thank you very much ^-^ i appreciate it

Were you able to tell what i said to the mc?
No, I couldn't hear what you said but I kinda figured it out since the mc slapped you half way across the stage^^ your costume was cool and your staff was bad-ass:bigtu: :rockon: :toothy: !!^^.....You looked at me...I was the was the Tenten(ref pic: http://www.absoluteanime.com/naruto/tenten.jpg) holding the Sasuke plushie(another ref pic: http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/ugrads/s/styner/Pictures/JoelSasuke/sasuke.jpg) in front of you... if you don't remember me that's okay^^You were hawt as Miroku to tell you the truth^^!!

Evali
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
They've posted the official "who won" thread on the AWA forums:
http://www.awa-con.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6758&sid=131aa5000924445e5c94a6d22ba21ef0

As you probably know by now, there were two screw ups in the announcements made at the contest itself. I don't want to embarrass anyone, but you can read it and figure out yourself what the mistakes were.

I expect some people will still have issue with who won, and that's natural since opinions differ. There were at least five more contestants that I would have liked to give something too, but you have to draw the line somewhere, unfortunately...

Elegant M.
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Ahaha.. yeah, the wait was the worst part. I was Hojo with the Sephiroth. the worst part was that as soon as we walked in front of the judges, they asked us how we made it.

Well.. Hojo is pretty stupid to make from scratch. What, do they want me to hand sew my own tie? Basically, i said "Goodwill."

Their response was "Oh. You;re not eligible to win anything."

Same with seph, because he didnlt make it himself.

o___o;; Knowing that earlier would have been nice. I'm not bitter that I didn;t win anything- In fact, compared to all you other people, I donlt think I deserve too. xD But they could have TOLD us that we weren't eligible before we waited 5 hours in line.

Not to mention Me, Miroku, Pyramid head, and Sora trying to get reference pictures. o__o;; the business centre staff was mean to us...

Evali
09-28-2006, 03:01 PM
o___o;; Knowing that earlier would have been nice. I'm not bitter that I didn;t win anything- In fact, compared to all you other people, I donlt think I deserve too. xD But they could have TOLD us that we weren't eligible before we waited 5 hours in line.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but the contest is for craftsmanship. I thought that was clear from the rules, but I haven't read them recently so perhaps I am mistaken... For the record though, we did think you two looked really great and thank you for being honest with us.

I already asked that for next year they have a separate Walk-on category, so people like you can show off your costumes without hassling through the pre-judging.

Star_Angel
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I enjoyed the contest this year, it had it's problems, but most cosplay contest have some type of problems, that's just what happened when you work with a large group of people, something is nomrally going to go wrong or run late. I know that the staff this year know what didnt work and that will be fixed next year. I personaly had a good time, yeah we had to wait and I don't think I am going to wear the boots from my Seth cosplay for awhile (because my poor toes went numb, lol) but over-all I had fun and that's one of the biggest reason I enjoy entering.
And a big shout-out to all the judges you all were so nice!

phantoms_angel
09-28-2006, 09:06 PM
The wait times for the participants were absolutely ridiculous. I mean, as a Dan Hibiki cosplayer, I wasn't expecting to win anything; I just wanted to get on stage for a moment and be Dan, so I didn't care much. I fail to see how even 120 participants would require six hours for judging.

But oh well! I wonder if anyone got my autograph I threw from the stage...?

LOVE YOU DAN!!!!!!!!!!

I was Saber in front of you and the Lupen Guy! Ya'll made the wait at least a little bareable, until they told us to stop singing our show tunes! ^_^

phantomthief
09-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Ari-chan got youth first place! YAAAAAAAAY!

YUSH! GIANT WALL OF BLUE FTW!!!

Er... That aside, the judging was very... hectic...

But you've gotta admit, the judges DID spend a lot more time on each person. I got the tell the judges about each layer of the costume and I didn't feel I left much up to guessing, unlike last year where they just poked us a bit and sent us off.

As for the COSTUMES (which I *believe* was the original subject of this topic ;)) I'd have to say the skill level is really going up :D
Lots of pretty wings this year! I had a great time in prejudging myself. (This was probably because being in both youth and a super bulky costume kind of throws you in near the front ^.~)
The staff was super friendly and I got to hang around with some friends :3 Evenstar, Suzaku was beyond awesome. If you can find any of the shots of us, drop me a line T.T

Dan: I got one of the pictures!!! XD It's on my wall...

~Ari-chan

Yoshiii
09-28-2006, 11:47 PM
The contest would have been much better if...

I had entered.

ba-dum-chh!

But yeah, waiting 2, 4, or 6 hours as you're all saying is freaking rediculous.

I mean...dude...

Take the initial pic and judge the costume...

Tell everyone to be ready maybe 30-45 minutes in advance...

Go through the numbers 5 minutes before hand....

and yeah!...

...or something

AsukaBlue
10-03-2006, 09:58 PM
To the people saying that trophies went to the wrong people: Quoted for truth. I dont want to sound like a bad sport, but -- WTF? Were the judges on something?

The entry forms were confusing. I entered as a novice because it was only my second cosplay -- come to find out AFTER the judging, I was supposed to be a journeyman because of my win last year as Ai. Nowhere on the form or anywhere else does it inform people of this.

The wait was out of this world. No excuse for it. And with all due respect to those in heavy/bulky/hot costumes -- you knew what you were getting into when you made it. Get in line early like the rest of us, or accept the spot you get when you decide to show up.

LostintheField
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, I do believe this thread has gotten off-topic. Its original intention was WHAT DO YOU THINK OF EVERYONE'S COSTUMES AT THE CONTEST, not complain about the contest. The directors are well aware of the problems and are working to correct them for next year, that's the best they can do for now. Give 'em some slack, that's all I ask.

AsukaBlue
10-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh.

On that note: I think the level of craftsmanship has risen dramatically in one year. Even several of the youth catagory costumes had me wowed.

However -- I also notice that a lot of people are simply buying their costumes. I understand if you have something like Hojo (who was AWESOME, btw) where your costume doesnt require alot of extra steps to be created - well, you cant really hand sew your own shirt and all, so just buy it! ^_~

But some (who shall remain nameless O_o) were quick to tell you they bought their entire costume, most of their costume, or key pieces - all premade. Bad form.

But as I said, the skill level has taken a tremendous jump in just one year, I cant WAIT to see what there will be next year.

livvylove
10-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Well I have to say Ari-Chans Big blue costume was beautiful and the fabric was so soft. I also loved the Sora from Kalido Star, her wings were beautiful also the big scary pyramid head was awesome.

athena-chan
10-05-2006, 09:54 AM
A lot of the things you guys are complaining about aren't even the judges responsiblity, it's the organizer's job to do everything but pick the winners.

Entery forms? The long wait? Number issues? All not the judges fault or even anything the judges have to be responsable for at all.

AsukaBlue
10-05-2006, 07:06 PM
A lot of the things you guys are complaining about aren't even the judges responsiblity, it's the organizer's job to do everything but pick the winners.

Entery forms? The long wait? Number issues? All not the judges fault or even anything the judges have to be responsable for at all.

well then, how about the judges showing up an hour late?

Im pretty sure they can tell time and read just as well as the cosplayers can.

the long wait WAS due to the judges. The fact that they rolled in an hour late, for starters, and the time they took judging costumes.

JasonMerrill
10-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I know this is about the quality of the costumes (which were incredible by the way), but I do want to take a moment to address a few things so you can get back to the topic.

The Judges were close to being on time, everyone else was early. The judging was supposed to start at 11am. The program book was wrong (they had old information and I did not get a chance to confirm anything before it went to press). There were also unforseen issues with parking.

We will be assigning appointments next year, so there won't be a massive wait. The entry form will be rewritten to provide clearer guidelines for skill levels (probably going by the international costumer's guild standards). It will also spell out much more clearly that purchased costumes are not to be considered for competition (but will be allowed a walk-on slot).

We will have backstage passes with your numbers on them... they will be handed out after seeing the judges. This year we handed out numbers as you entered the room, which did not match the order in which the Judges saw everyone... therefore two sets of numbers and massive confusion.

We ran out of time to have everything typed and printed for the MC, so were having to deal with Judges notes. The Judges saw entries from 11am to 4pm and them were discussing until about 7:30pm. We just plain ran out of time to get everything printed and ready before the contest. If we had time to print the pictures for the awards and the official list for Lauren, there would have been no confusion.

We know what we did wrong and will change things for next year. There are lots of things I will be doing differently.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic:
The costumes were fantastic. Pretty much everyone brought their "A" game. That's exactly why I am doing this... to see just how good it can get.

Jason

AsukaBlue
10-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Thank you so much Jason. It means a lot to us that you took our suggestions seriously. We understand you guys did the best you could with the situation and resources you were given, and Im sure you guys understand our frustration. Thank you for your patience and for letting us rant and rave, and thank you again for listening to us with open ears and entertaining some of our suggestions.

Dia
10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
AsukaBlue - I noticed you edited your post - so I guess we didn't "maul" you after all? If we judges were abusive by any means, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact us or Jason and discuss it further, rather than making a rather snide comment on a message board. We certainly wouldn't want to act in such a manner again.

Also, Jason hit the nail on the head with all of that. A lot of things went wrong, but we're all going to work really hard to fix things up. Jason is an amazing person to have at the helm of everything - he works much harder than most everyone I know, and is really dedicated to making things the best they can be.

AsukaBlue
10-07-2006, 10:32 PM
No, I was making a joke, but realized that a flat text answer can be misconstrued as being negative. What I was trying to get at was that you guys did a better (in my opinion) and more quality job this year, actually looking over the costumes in a very technical way. I was impressed with the amount of time (although it kinda slowed up the process) you took with us individually. I felt like you were making an honest effort to inspect something that I put alot of work into. It felt like a mauling as opposed to some judging Ive been through (where we were just asked "how long did it take you to make this? who're you supposed to be? k, thanks. NEXT!), which isnt a bad thing. I didnt mean to come off as snide. Sorry for the unclearness of what I said. ;)

LostintheField
10-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Jason, India? Thank you so much.

Tensaihime
10-30-2006, 02:00 PM
The bad: I was wearing the WRONG shoes for doing a lot of standing in, and a lot of folks I encountered were in far worse shape.

The good: I got to see most, if not all, of the entrants. I remember thinking, "Woah, I hope she wins! No, I want HIM to win. No wait, SHE should get an award. Aaargh!" And everybody was more or less civil about it, when not joking around and making us all forget about the wait. So I'm not really upset -in fact, I'm coming back next year.

Kyouko_Takara
12-26-2006, 06:09 PM
The bad: I was wearing the WRONG shoes for doing a lot of standing in, and a lot of folks I encountered were in far worse shape.

OMGosh!! I was wearing the complete and totally WRONG shoes too!! My feet hurt for a week after this contest! T_T lol

*I was the Reira in the NANA group BTW*

This was our first time entering a contest. I realized that the wait was very long, but we talked to a lot of cosplayers and I quite enjoied it ^.^ *Flowery, and the Anbu-Naruto cosplayers \(^_^)/*

The costumes were VERY entertaining and a wonder to see!! I liked

Hello Kitty! - I asked her about how she made the head and I was very impressed!! WONDERFUL JOB!!!

Kairi - Flowery fit Kairi's image to a T, and had Kairi's sweet personality and smile ^_^

Naruto & Sasuke - Yall sat in front of us for the begining of the prejudging. I had to giggle, yall were so cute and perfect for the characters! I LOVED the costumes and the random switch in the middle of it all!! O.o lol

Anbu Cosplayers - We stood in line with yall and we had a lot of fun cutting up! I loved the model magic yall used for the masks! they looked great ^.~

Pyramid head - VERY impressive, and VERY scarey!! O.O

Mana - I thought your costume was very beautiful!! Ill save a spot for you anytime!! ^.~

Im sure there are more, but it has been a while! Sorry!! T.T

DIA - THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE AWARD!!! We did NOT expect it! Thank you ^.^